I have given up on the Sky.

burrellch

This thread makes me sad. We sailed her as the Pride of Aloha in 2006, and loved it! Sounds like she's gotten a little longer in the tooth. :(

Still, I hold a sweet spot in my heart for this ship.

I just deleted your e-mail the other day. I had requested from you and received info on your Hawaii trip. We went in February and loved it. Thank you.

Question? Can't the US Coast Guard shut the ship down once they dock in Miami? If it's not safe and seaworthy for US citizens isn't it their responsibility to not allow passengers onto the ship?

I'm sorry but that was uncalled for. The ship is safe and seaworthy. That is just going to get people worried over nothing.

Well ... Thanks very much to all of you... I am booked on Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville where I live to Nassau and Half Moon Cay on Oct. I just paid it off tonight and out of curiosity thought what other ships are in port when I'm in Nassau? When I went to find the answer I saw some really great rates on a very similar trip on the Sky for the same week but leaving Miami. I would save more than enough to pay for gas and parking and "a nicer, newer ship and balcony room." Having only sailed with Carnival I thought it would be nice to try something new. I almost cancelled Carnival and booked Sky. I'm glad I thought to check out what people thought of the SKY here. I never would have guessed since I usually hang out on the Carnival boards! I'll be saving some gas money and sticking with the cruise I already have!

I will probably try NCL at a later time. But for a Eurpoean cruise in a few years when my son is older and can appreciate it better.

I'm sorry but that was uncalled for. The ship is safe and seaworthy. That is just going to get people worried over nothing.

Absolutely!!! I keep looking for meaningful posts as to how the Sky's been doing LATELY but keep running into hysteria.

I am committed to this cruise and have faith that we will have a great vacation! You get what you ask for...has no one read The Secret???

Mariner of the Seas - RCI - Feb. 04 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

Carnival Victory - July 04 - Canada (Penthouse Suite Cat. 12)

Seabourn Pride - Sept. 04 - New York (All Suite)

Disney Wonder - Dec. 04/05 - Caribbean (Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah Cat. 5)

Star Princess - Feb. 05 - Caribbean (Penthouse Suite)

Jewel of the Seas - RCI - April 05 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

QM2 - Cunnard - July 05 - New York (Deluxe Balcony A1)

Norwegian Dawn - August 05 - Florida & Caribbean (AF Mini-Suite)

Majesty of the Seas - RCI - Dec. 05/06 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

Constellation - Celebrity - Feb. 06 - Caribbean (Concierge Class)

Enchantment of the Seas - RCI - April 06 - Caribbean (Royal Suite)

Westerdam - HAL - August 2006 - Alaska (SA Deluxe Verandah Suite)

Norwegian Jewel - Dec. 06 - Caribbean (A3 Courtyard Villa)

Crown Princess - Feb. 07 - Caribbean (Penthouse Suite)

Freedom of the Seas - RCI - April 07 - Caribbean (Owners Suite)

Norwegian Dawn - May 07 - New York (AF Mini-Suite)

Voyager of the Seas - RCI - July 07 - Western Mediterranean (Grand Suite)

Norwegian Spirit - Sep. 07 - New York (Owners Suite)

Century - Celebrity - Dec. 07 - Caribbean 50th Birthday (Penthouse)

Norwegian Pearl - Feb. 08 - Caribbean - (Garden Villa)

Monarch of the Seas - RCI - July 08 - Baja Mexico (Grand Suite)

Norwegian Sky - NCL - Aug. 08 - Bahamas (Owners Suite)

Norwegian Gem - January 09 - New York (Deluxe Owners Suite)

Eurodam - HAL - Feb. 09 - Caribbean (SA Deluxe Verandah Suite)

TITISSA we get it you only Cruise in Suites lol

Absolutely!!! I keep looking for meaningful posts as to how the Sky's been doing LATELY but keep running into hysteria.

I am committed to this cruise and have faith that we will have a great vacation! You get what you ask for...has no one read The Secret???

I liked the Secret! I'm sure you will have a fun cruise.

Its funny you bring up the Secret. I watched it a year ago and forgot about it. I started a blog about working on a cruise ship and suddenly all these things happened, things I only dreamed of! Within a few months I was having dinner in France with the CEO of NCL and Chairman of Star cruises at the F3 keel laying. Sadly, most of the story about my blog and NCL cant be told but its been a great year! And to top it off..a little part of me will always be welded onto the F3's keel for her entire life. :)

We were on the Sky last week for the 7/21 sailing. Small % affected??? That is a flat out lie. As for changing cabins not being difficult. What a joke. 2 families were mover 4 times do to over booking of rooms and broken AC and Toilets. I would never trust the word of an NCL employee. Guess who signs their pay ??? Also if it were an employee who works on tips I would want the ship as full as possible!!!

check!!!!

Better not trust a travel agent, either...they get paid by the cruise lines, too!

Checkmate!

I can't blame you one bit. They should have reassured you or redirected you to another ship. It sounds like they did neither. I recommend Carnival. Looking back, I had a way better time on the Fascination than I did on the Sky. Good luck!

Me too, I had a great time on the Carnival Triumph. Although, it was long ago & my first cruise, it was lovely.

Everything worked & the food was delicious.

Mariner of the Seas - RCI - Feb. 04 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

Carnival Victory - July 04 - Canada (Penthouse Suite Cat. 12)

Seabourn Pride - Sept. 04 - New York (All Suite)

Disney Wonder - Dec. 04/05 - Caribbean (Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah Cat. 5)

Star Princess - Feb. 05 - Caribbean (Penthouse Suite)

Jewel of the Seas - RCI - April 05 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

QM2 - Cunnard - July 05 - New York (Deluxe Balcony A1)

Norwegian Dawn - August 05 - Florida & Caribbean (AF Mini-Suite)

Majesty of the Seas - RCI - Dec. 05/06 - Caribbean (Grand Suite)

Constellation - Celebrity - Feb. 06 - Caribbean (Concierge Class)

Enchantment of the Seas - RCI - April 06 - Caribbean (Royal Suite)

Westerdam - HAL - August 2006 - Alaska (SA Deluxe Verandah Suite)

Norwegian Jewel - Dec. 06 - Caribbean (A3 Courtyard Villa)

Crown Princess - Feb. 07 - Caribbean (Penthouse Suite)

Freedom of the Seas - RCI - April 07 - Caribbean (Owners Suite)

Norwegian Dawn - May 07 - New York (AF Mini-Suite)

Voyager of the Seas - RCI - July 07 - Western Mediterranean (Grand Suite)

Norwegian Spirit - Sep. 07 - New York (Owners Suite)

Century - Celebrity - Dec. 07 - Caribbean 50th Birthday (Penthouse)

Norwegian Pearl - Feb. 08 - Caribbean - (Garden Villa)

Monarch of the Seas - RCI - July 08 - Baja Mexico (Grand Suite)

Norwegian Sky - NCL - Aug. 08 - Bahamas (Owners Suite)

Norwegian Gem - January 09 - New York (Deluxe Owners Suite)

Eurodam - HAL - Feb. 09 - Caribbean (SA Deluxe Verandah Suite)

TITISSA we get it you only Cruise in Suites lol

That's right, Baby! But also because I'm getting old and if I don't have a written record I forget what ships I've taken and what type of cabin I was in. Life is good when I'm cruising:).

and that can make a big difference. The condition wasn't the only problem, it was service, size of cabins and overall food with the exception of the aspargus (spelling) it was great even if I can't spell. I haven't been on the Spirit yet. I do think The Majesty of the Sea is leaving the RCI fleet, but I could be wrong about that. It wouldn't be the first time.

Nita

I will agree the cabins are very small. I think the smallest of all cruise lines that I have sailed on. Service was great when I was on. You know that is hit or miss also. If you get the same waiter all week and he is not good that could be a problem. The Majesty of the Sea is not leaving the fleet they put alot of money into the ship I think it is the Soverign that is leaving the fleet ( which is the sister ship).

I was booked for September on the Sky and cancelled. I lost $100 deposit and $118 towards insurance. I'll have to wait for weeks to get back all the other money I had prepaid for this cruise. It was worth having a cruise I wasn't looking forward to. We booked a junior suite on RCCL Majesty of the Seas for the same dates. They tried to only offer us 50% back but luckily my travel rep at Travelocity was awesome and persisted until we only lost $218...... It is too bad about the Sky. I was more horrified by people waiting hours to get served in the dining rooms than I was about getting a room with toilet or ac issues. We were book on an aft balcony on a higher deck and from what I've heard these rooms are having trouble having ac working. Good luck to all that are still booked on the Sky. I hope they get their act together!

I think you would have been fine on the Sky. Some bad experiences do not mean that you will have a bad time. Everyone is different. You did what made you feel more comfortable and I think you will love the Majesty of the Seas.

If your dates of travel are the same you could have used the same insurance.

I agree with a previous poster regarding the Majesty OTS. I enjoyed her the first time we cruised with her, then sailed on her again after the refurb, and felt that they did a great job. True, since it is an older ship, the cabins can be snug, but it's a weekend cruise. I don't need a suite for a weekend cruise.

I'll also defend the Spirit. If I had the choice between the Majesty OTS and the Spirit, I'd choose the Spirit. We sailed her once and really enjoyed the ship.

Nothing? Then this and many other threads about Sky's malfunctioning toilets is OK then? Coming into contact with raw sewage is a serious health concern. All I'm saying is that if NCL can't get this fixed and won't cancel a few sailing to do so then maybe the Coast Guard should step in and force their hand. I have no idea to what extent their sewage system is compromised and a sincerely hope they can get this fixed ASAP.

I did just call the insurance company and asked about transferring the insurance. They said I could not where I booked with RCCL. They did say even though my cancellation was a non-covered reason, that I would be eligible for $100 in NCL cruise credits where I cancelled within a certain period of time. So they are sending me the claim form. Not sure what I'll do with the cruise credits, may cruise with NCL on another ship someday...

Beth

I have no idea to what extent their sewage system is compromised

EXACTLY - YOU HAVE NO IDEA of the extent of the problem. How VERY hysterical and presumptious of YOU to scare other people and to presume to TELL the Coast Guard what to do. How absurd. NO POSTER has even implied that the majority of the toilets have had problems. No one doubts that SOME toilets have had problems. NCL appears to be dealing with it appropriately - since complaints about having a non-working toilets have decreased to virtually nil for the last cruise.

I will agree the cabins are very small. I think the smallest of all cruise lines that I have sailed on. Service was great when I was on. You know that is hit or miss also. If you get the same waiter all week and he is not good that could be a problem. The Majesty of the Sea is not leaving the fleet they put alot of money into the ship I think it is the Soverign that is leaving the fleet ( which is the sister ship).

yes, the Soverign is leaving, and normally when one leaves a sister ship will leave within a few years. I didn't mean immediately. Yes, what any one of us experiences is hit or miss. As I have mentioned, we had terrible service on Princess earlier this year, plus as an agent I have had the worst customer service from them. That being said, with the exception of a couple of people we spoke with everyone had great service on our cruise and many of my cleints prefer Princess to any other line. Aren't we glad we have so many choices.

Nita

Nothing? Then this and many other threads about Sky's malfunctioning toilets is OK then? Coming into contact with raw sewage is a serious health concern. All I'm saying is that if NCL can't get this fixed and won't cancel a few sailing to do so then maybe the Coast Guard should step in and force their hand. I have no idea to what extent their sewage system is compromised and a sincerely hope they can get this fixed ASAP.

If you are so concerned, notify the Coast Guard, see what they say? You will be surprised I am sure....

Nita

yes, the Soverign is leaving, and normally when one leaves a sister ship will leave within a few years. I didn't mean immediately. Yes, what any one of us experiences is hit or miss. As I have mentioned, we had terrible service on Princess earlier this year, plus as an agent I have had the worst customer service from them. That being said, with the exception of a couple of people we spoke with everyone had great service on our cruise and many of my cleints prefer Princess to any other line. Aren't we glad we have so many choices.

Nita

YES we are lucky we have so many choices!:D Check out what my future cruises ( I like changing it up) look like.

I do not take anyones negative comments to heart. I have been on so many cruises that a bad experience will never turn me off to a specific cruise line or cruising in general. I feel bad for those that get turned off to cruising due to their first experience. There are so many people on these boards that love the Spirit and I have sailed on her 3 times, but I just can not get what they see. No one should decide what ship to cruise on from someone elses past experience.

I did just call the insurance company and asked about transferring the insurance. They said I could not where I booked with RCCL. They did say even though my cancellation was a non-covered reason, that I would be eligible for $100 in NCL cruise credits where I cancelled within a certain period of time. So they are sending me the claim form. Not sure what I'll do with the cruise credits, may cruise with NCL on another ship someday...

Beth

I guess it depends on who you bought your insurance with . All I have to state when I buy trip insurance is the date of departure and return, the people on the policy and their ages. I do not think I ever specified what ship I was cruising on.

I think I read on these boards something about travel insurance for a year that would cover all your trips for a year - did I read that? does anyone know anything regarding this topic?

don't know about the yearly insurance but for those who travel more than once or twice it sounds like a winner.

Oh, as for taking reviews especially negative one to heart, I agree. They do serve a purpose, it gives another view, but too often the poster is nip picking in my view. ..That is why, I normally will say something like "my experience, but certaintly not everyone's", Comments like, everyone I talked to on the ship were complaining or everyone on the ship felt the same or 25 families all had their tips removed at once: these are statements that make me cringe as they can influence people.

Nita

If the coast guard was going to shut down every ship with toilet not flushing issues, EVERY cruise ship in the world would be docked today. Toilets break on every ship of any age every week. Now its a bad thing to happen, but doesn't mean US Coast Guard should shut down a ship.

We leave monday for our cruise on the Sky, and I just don't know what to think. I have called twice and they have "Assured" me that our cabins are not affected with the A/C or plumbing problems. But, can I really believe them. We are staying on deck 10 in two cabins 0017 and 0018. They will not let us cancel without losing all of our money! So I guess we are stuck. Any advise???

We leave monday for our cruise on the Sky, and I just don't know what to think. I have called twice and they have "Assured" me that our cabins are not affected with the A/C or plumbing problems. But, can I really believe them. We are staying on deck 10 in two cabins 0017 and 0018. They will not let us cancel without losing all of our money! So I guess we are stuck. Any advise???

Well they told you your cabins are fine so my advice would be go have a fun cruise ;)

Let's wait till Friday and see what the returning cruisers have to say. Then we'll have a better idea of what to expect and whether things are really okay as NCL says.

You people really don't have a clue , do you? I'm only going by what I read on this message board and the posters that have named numerous cabins with sewage problems that seem to have lasted years by some reports. One even said that there was standing water in their room. I'm not trying to scare anyone. I'm not the person making any statements about the true conditions on the ship. Only offering a solution to the problem.

I'll tell you this, I'm going on the Sky with my wife and daughters the end of September and I do hope they have these problems fixed by then. If I was so scared I'd cancel my cruise. But I'm not going to do that. Some on this board have and even one poster said he was considering a class action suit. Yet, I'm considered the person trying to cause a frenzy by stating that if the sitituation aboard the ship was so bad then maybe the Coast Guard should intervene.

I understand some of you are probably travel agents and don't like any negative press for any ship. Not good for your business. I'm only a consumer and I want to go on a clean and safe ship. That's all I have to say. Sorry if I've caused your heart to skip a beat by stating my opinion.

Archived