new ship in jersey

sac2

Rather than a new ship in Bayonne, I would rather see any ship sailing out of Manhattan or Brooklyn.

You've got to be kidding... I had enough trouble just trying to find my way out of Bayonne!!! I can't imagine driving in NYC!!!:eek: That place just scares us country mice!!!

Rather than a new ship in Bayonne, I would rather see any ship sailing out of Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Not Likely, RCCL has a long Term Contract with The City Of Bayonne, & BLRA.

Radiance class gets our vote. That's our favorite class of ship. We cruised on the Radiance 4 times last year. This yearwe've done the Explorer (bayonne) and 3 other cruise which we had ro fly to,

RCCL please being us a Radiance class ship for Christmas!

Not Likely, RCCL has a long Term Contract with The City Of Bayonne, & BLRA.

I think more ships should come to Bayonne also. It is an easy port to get to once you're off the turnpike. I thought it was hassle-free. I'd just like to see some more ships driving distance esp. with the rising cost of fuel. The airfare is really adding to the cost of cruising.

Another ship in the northeast would be GREAT!!!( NJ/NY/Philly!)

I actually had this conversation with Captain Ryan (Explorer) on our past cruise last month.........I was told it isnt happening in Bayonne for 'awhile'.

thats to bad about bayonne, but what about phila or baltimore... I agree that we really need another ship in the north east !!

Some might be interested. This is an article from 2004 when we were supposed to initially get 2 ships...

b.gifAYONNE, N.J.

THERE are those who scoff, but the cruise industry is taking notice: Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has opened a departure port with lots of parking at the old military pier here along New Jersey's industrial waterfront.

With the departure of the immense Voyager of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise in May, Bayonne joined the latest trend in cruising: bringing the ships to the passengers, instead of making clients fly to Miami or San Diego. And by entering into a partnership with the state government, which agreed to make improvements at the old Military Ocean Terminal here, Royal Caribbean will save its New York-area passengers the train, bus or limousine trip into Manhattan to the small passenger terminal on the West Side. Instead, they can leave their cars in the parking lot for a fee, while Royal Caribbean gets an immense pier for its new superliners (the Voyager is 1,020 feet long, and 142,000 gross tons), lower docking fees and more room to grow, compared with the New York side of the Hudson.

In fact, Royal Caribbean's problems getting the sailing dates it wanted for the Voyager in New York led to the creation of New Jersey's first cruise port in some 40 years, said Nancy Kist, executive director of the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority. Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Cunard, Holland America and Radisson Cruises already sail out of the West Side Passenger Terminal in New York, where the three berths are being rebuilt to accommodate more ships. So there was a danger that the Voyager and its sister ship, Empress of the Seas, would look elsewhere for berth space.

"I try hard not to turn this into a New York-against-New Jersey thing," Ms. Kist said, "because there was a real risk of these ships leaving this market entirely. And if they had gone to Boston or Philadelphia, it would have been a loss for the whole region."

New York City has also responded to the demand for more cruise departures. In April, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced that Norwegian Cruise Lines and Carnival Corporation would stay in the city through 2017 and pay at least $200 million in port charges; in return the city promised $150 million in renovations to the Passenger Ship Terminal and to create a cruise port on the Brooklyn waterfront. The Brooklyn terminal is expected to open one berth in time for next year's fall-winter cruise season.

Perhaps with an eye on the competition across the Hudson, the mayor said, "There's no question that New York City's cruise industry is embarking on a fantastic new course."

Bayonne took possession of the old Military Ocean Terminal from the Department of Defense shortly after the Pentagon lowered the flag there in 1999. The port had berthed Liberty Ships during World War II, as well as transports headed for the Persian Gulf war.

About $42 million has been spent by the state and federal governments to deepen and widen the channel into the ports, and Bayonne has paid for lighting, paving and other improvements for part of the 430-acre site.

Royal Caribbean, desperate for dock space, approached the city of Bayonne last October, shortly after the city held a local promotion conference in the old warehouse that is now Royal Caribbean's cruise terminal. The city signed a 30- to 35-year contract (the length depends on when improvements are completed) with the cruise line, which created a corporation named Cape Liberty Cruise Port. It will serve as a seasonal home port for Voyager and Empress, as well as for other cruise ships, including those from other companies, once the two-mile-long pier is fully restored.

Ms. Kist estimated Royal Caribbean's investment in the site at about $8 million.

The Cape Liberty name is a bit of a ruse, to avoid using Bayonne's name. This led to some of the skepticism in the trade news media about a luxury cruise line berthing in such gritty surroundings. But other cruise experts say that the scoffers miss the point: Bayonne is not a destination, it is a departure point, and its attractions are little more important to cruisers than Newark's are to airline passengers at Newark Liberty International Airport.

And although Royal Caribbean illustrates its Cape Liberty Web site with a picture of the Statue of Liberty, it loyally spells out the attractions of Bayonne: the Liberty Science Center, the Bayonne Bridge ("one of the longest steel arch bridges in the world") and the Chief John T. Brennan Fire Museum in downtown Bayonne.

But the passengers from New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Ohio who were among those boarding the Voyager recently were probably more interested in the proximity to Newark Airport, the Hudson Bergen light-rail station just outside the cruise port gate at 34th Street, which links to PATH stations in Hoboken and Jersey City, and the parking for 600 cars at $12 a day.

Royal Caribbean will berth the Voyager and the Empress at Bayonne from May to October, said Lyan Sierra-Caro, a spokeswoman for the company. Voyager will alternate between five-night trips to St. John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia, and eight-night cruises to the Caribbean, while Empress will sail to Bermuda on six- and eight-night voyages. And the company does not rule out making Bayonne a year-round port some day.

You've got to be kidding... I had enough trouble just trying to find my way out of Bayonne!!! I can't imagine driving in NYC!!!:eek: That place just scares us country mice!!!

I wouldnt mind NYC or Brooklyn, bur Royal already has the contract with the city of Bayonne so just bring us another ship and another itinerary. With all the active adult communities taking over the ships should be full just like in Florida! lolol

(cleoturn- certain places in the city the driving isnt so bad, not that I like to drive there, but I do when need be. But, having said that, the manhattan pier was ALWAYS a nightmare lol)

What other itinerary could a cruise ship departing Bayonne accomplish in 7-9 days? Canada, Bermuda and the Eastern Caribbean seem to be the limit... IMO, if RCI adds a ship, the itineraries are still going to be esentially the same...

LL

That Loyalty Ambassador always seems a step closer to info than the Master lol

I also think Liberty should sail from "Cape Liberty", they can keep Freedom where it is lol (but I also think Royal should give us a small ship and it WOULD FILL TOO!!) Captain Ryan actually mentioned something about the senior passengers that they must accomodate leaving from this area (& I have to admit- I cant recall the rest of that part of the conversation or where it went. I was already in awe that I was spending this unexpected time with the Captain in conversation! Yup...still in awe! lol)

I do hope RCI hears many of us in wanting a second ship here in Bayonne. I mean the pier is there, they already $$$$ for it, why not add revenue?

(Or am I way off here? It is morning and I do need a second cup of coffee lol)

In answer to the "to where" question: There is a strong demand in the NY area for weekly 7 day cruises to Bermuda, where the ship stays there over several nights. RCI should have one ship (a Radiance Class ship, perhaps?) dedicated to this itinerary, like Celebrity used to have.

In answer to the "to where" question: There is a strong demand in the NY area for weekly 7 day cruises to Bermuda, where the ship stays there over several nights. RCI should have one ship (a Radiance Class ship, perhaps?) dedicated to this itinerary, like Celebrity used to have.

That would be a great idea!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Thats the answer!

A smaller ship with an overnight in Bermuda is a great idea.

I also wonder if there are any ports on the Eastern seaboard that could be stops during the spring, summer & fall. Could a cruise ship stop in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Norfolk, Charleston and/or Cape Canaveral in addition to a few islands instead of heading straight to Puerto Rico? There is a lot more to see and do in some of these cities instead of the same old islands.

One day cruise to nowhere would be cool, they'd never do it. (maybe not so cool, more of a tease for me lol)

I think the idea of Celebrity's old sails to Bermuda is on target... (we sailed Zenith to Hamilton and St George) More days in Bermuda-

Explorer already does the 5 night with an overnight in Bermuda, so you're there 2 days. So many people love this destination a good 3+ days there would be GREAT.

Hmmm, do they really? We've never investigated....Might just have to!! Do you know any specifics? (how long are you on board.....??)

i've never been on one, but my friends have and they loved it as a mini-getaway thing. check out the ncl site. the prices are in the mid $100's for the ncl gem and ncl dawn and the time you board depends when you're doing the 1 night. for ex: if you choose the sat night 1 night cruise, you would board at 4pm sat nite and then get off the ship 8am the next morning.

i'd love it if rccl did this. i'd so go on it esp. since i'm not too far away from bayonne. A 2 night cruise would be nice too - a perfect mini-wkend getaway.

Archived