Mercury- ANyone recently back

MonicaL

We sale on 8-24, I haven't seen any recent reviews.. just wondering how service has been and how the ship looks. I'd also be curious about activities that were available during the day...

returned from alaska on the mercury on 7/13. overall i was not impressed with the ship at all. the layout did not have good flow and the experience just was not up to the "celebrity" experiences i have had in the past (on the constellation and horizon). there is a new executive chef and i noticed that the portions in the main dining room were smaller (to the degree where i would regularly order two appetizers), but there seemed to be a larger variety of different ethnic foods/sandwiches at the buffet. the crew were great, as usual. one last note, i became ill the day of disembarkation and my partner was sick a few days later. exchanging emails with some of our tablemates, we discovered others had gotten sick as well. we discovered that the ship is for sale, so probably will not be refurbished as planned. the galaxy has already been sold. don't know the future of the century.

we sail on a transatlantic on the century in december. i'm hoping they improved the ship layout when it was refurbished last year (or earlier this year?). i'm hoping that trip lives up to the "celebrity" experience, otherwise i may not have a favorite line anymore. =(

wow we leave a week from Sunday 8/10 sailing, can you elaborate SoCaLGal on other things besides the flow and tiny appetizers that didn't impress you and also give some insite into ports and things to do on board, as the OP said there are very few reviews of this ship/itinerary and they are old too, oh and how was the weather and disembarking, Thanks

returned from alaska on the mercury on 7/13. overall i was not impressed with the ship at all. the layout did not have good flow and the experience just was not up to the "celebrity" experiences i have had in the past (on the constellation and horizon). there is a new executive chef and i noticed that the portions in the main dining room were smaller (to the degree where i would regularly order two appetizers), but there seemed to be a larger variety of different ethnic foods/sandwiches at the buffet. the crew were great, as usual. one last note, i became ill the day of disembarkation and my partner was sick a few days later. exchanging emails with some of our tablemates, we discovered others had gotten sick as well. we discovered that the ship is for sale, so probably will not be refurbished as planned. the galaxy has already been sold. don't know the future of the century.

we sail on a transatlantic on the century in december. i'm hoping they improved the ship layout when it was refurbished last year (or earlier this year?). i'm hoping that trip lives up to the "celebrity" experience, otherwise i may not have a favorite line anymore. =(

Hi, sorry you had less than a stellar cruise:( I have sailed her

5 times with #6 coming up in Sept...and yes she is leaving the

fleet in early 2010:(

She is my favorite:) and I will miss her.

I doubt they will be selling CENTURY as they put $55 million in her

back in 2006. She is lovely and I hope you have a better time

and sorry you got ill too.

If anyone is worried, do a search on Mercury and you will see lots of happy folks too. I'm sorry So Cal had bad to report. But there are many positive reports too and a trip report from early July.

I have sailed a ship being sold, it was to a line inside the same corporation and all was normal as far as maintenance. Lets hope Mercury is the same.

We sailed on the mercury in april of 08 did the PNW(8 days). Loved the ship the service especially in the dining room was impeccable. Ship was immaculate & extemely easy to get around. Talk about poor service & confrusion try the crown princess unfortunately we did a TA on her 7 days after sailing on the mercury now that was a dissapointment. I sincerely hope they do not sell this ship.

I've sailed on Mercury nine times, the most recent on the second week of July this year. She will have been in service for 11 years next November. She has the small-ship feeling which one can't get from the new mega- ships with all their bells and whistles. Mercury is a ship on which one can just relax, though there are plenty of activities for the more active ones to choose from.

Thousands of passengers have sailed Mercury, so certainly there are signs of wear and tear, just like in anyone's home. I've observed on my cruises that Celebrity has done various repairs and replacements. On my last cruise, they removed structures from the top deck 14, which I expect is in preparation to replace that deck which has been exposed to different kinds of weather over 11 years.

I've rarely experienced substandard service on Mercury, otherwise I wouldn't have sailed on her so many times. In the dining room, sometimes the steak was undercooked, the Yorkshire pudding was overcooked and the onion soup was lukewarm, but overall I have been happy with the quality of food on the ship. They've done much better than I do in my kitchen at home. I hadn't noticed that the quantity of food served to us has become smaller, but that's perhaps because I'm eight years older than my first cruise on Mercury, and so my appetite has decreased accordingly.

Donald.

There are no plans to refurbish the Mercury because it was just done last year, very extensive in which they even added balconies. The ship is not for sale, that is poor information, if anything it would be transferred to another portion of the Royal Caribbean empire. They would have a need to keep it in shape if it was being transferred... The Galaxy was not sold it is being transferred to a new cruiseline created by Royal Caribbean....

There are no plans to refurbish the Mercury because it was just done last year, very extensive in which they even added balconies. The ship is not for sale, that is poor information, if anything it would be transferred to another portion of the Royal Caribbean empire. They would have a need to keep it in shape if it was being transferred... The Galaxy was not sold it is being transferred to a new cruiseline created by Royal Caribbean....

Hi Don,:) they have no itineraries for Mercury after Jan/Feb 2010.

I know a group from here sailed her Dowunder and were told

she is leaving the fleet.....so maybe transferring to the same

company as Galaxy would be more accurate.

we are sailing in a month's time so we are really looking forward to experiencing the dining room experience!

main dining: does this mean early or late dining? on the Celebrity website it says main for us.

any special bow areas to photograph the glaciers or is it better to be on one of the other decks? We have been to Alaska before & did see calving.

we are sailing in a month's time so we are really looking forward to experiencing the dining room experience!

main dining: does this mean early or late dining? on the Celebrity website it says main for us.

any special bow areas to photograph the glaciers or is it better to be on one of the other decks? We have been to Alaska before & did see calving.

Hi:) Main dining means early....6:00pm, late is 8:30.

Enjoy your cruise. I will be following you in a little over a month:D

Hi Lois:

I agree with you completely, I believe it will be going to one of the other lines owned by RCI. We also have to remember that Celebrity's rumor mill on board is notorious for bad info.

Heading down your way next month, have two weeks in Orlando.

Hi Lois:

I agree with you completely, I believe it will be going to one of the other lines owned by RCI. We also have to remember that Celebrity's rumor mill on board is notorious for bad info.

Heading down your way next month, have two weeks in Orlando.

Oh, you are going to Mickyland?:D :eek: 2 hours from me!

It is a HOT time of year to be doing the parks Don!

Lois, they are now showing intineraries for the Mercury thru March 26, 2010, they are not yet showing anything for her into April other than the completion of her March 26th cruise but then again they are only showing a limited number of cruises for April so far so maybe the information is incorrect....we live in hope.:)

Oh, you are going to Mickyland?:D :eek: 2 hours from me!

It is a HOT time of year to be doing the parks Don!

I have two weeks in our Time-Share so I'm going to do the parks but take lots of days of doing nothing. Our time share is on Disney property and is beautiful. By the way, I got flights out of Atlantic City for $55.50 round trip to Orlando.

I have two weeks in our Time-Share so I'm going to do the parks but take lots of days of doing nothing. Our time share is on Disney property and is beautiful. By the way, I got flights out of Atlantic City for $55.50 round trip to Orlando.

WOW:D excellent price for sure! I didn't know you had timeshare

down here.

Hope you have a great 2 weeks:)

We were hoping with the new builds finally coming that we might get the Mercury back to be home ported in San Diego. We loved the 10 day Mexico cruises on her.

If everytime a new ship comes on line they get rid of one, we might be in for a wait. :(

We can't wait for our Hawaii trip on the Mercury in October! :D

Mercury would certainly be welcomed in Galveston! I loved it when Galaxy was there and doing 11 and 12 night partial Panama Canal transits. That's when I fell in love with cruising and Celebrity.

Lois - your cruise is coming up fast!

Archived