Cruiseline Airfare

terry the traveler

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in Oct. and for various reasons ended up going with the airfare offered by the cruise line (RC). The price was only slightly more than $100/pp more than the cheapest I could find. Has anyone done this before? We usually book our own flights. Since we will be arriving on the day of the cruise, does anyone know what the general rule of thumb might be regarding arrival time? Are we correct in assuming that they (the cruise line) will be responsible if something should go wrong - as in a flight delay?

I do believe the cruiseline will try to get you to the ship on-time, but I don't believe it is guaranteed, just because you booked with the cruiseline. I believe your documents will say they are the agent only, and make no guarantees for the airlines.

I usually book my own airfare as I want to arrive in the port city at least 2 days ahead of cruise departure. The only time I have used cruise airfare was from LAX to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruisetour, with HAL and that went without a hitch.

For my upcoming Med cruise in Oct '08, I booked my own airfare from LAX round trip to Paris, then from Paris to Rome/Venice back to Paris. Princess was asking $1600, and I was able to get the complete airfare, taxes,etc. for $1150 pp. But I messed up, not thinking about luggage requirements. My tickets aren't tied together, so for International flight I'm allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs each, but for the Domestic flight I'm only allowed 1 bag at 44 lbs, so will have to do laundry onboard the Grand.

I think most cruiselines allow you to pay a deviation fee to go in a day early.

If you were able to get the airfare for a good price, don't worry about, just go and have a great trip!

You should read this thread about cruise air. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Cruise air is offered as a convenience to passengers only. They do not guarantee they will get you to the ship if there are any delays, holdups etc. They may help you book flights, etc to catch up to the ship, but generally you are still on the hook for any additional expenses, flights etc.

I would not pay more for cruise air than booking on my own.

Be aware that you will be put on the flights that are cheapest and most convenient for the cruiseline. This very well could be the flights with multiple connections, inconvenient times, etc.

Are we correct in assuming that they (the cruise line) will be responsible if something should go wrong - as in a flight delay?

I do believe the cruiseline will try to get you to the ship on-time

No and No. Complete myths, perpetuated by uninformed individuals, both passengers and travel agents.

Are we correct in assuming that they (the cruise line) will be responsible if something should go wrong - as in a flight delay?

Sigh. First I will quote myself on this subject:

"This is truly one of the urban legends that cannot be dispelled. Imagine if this were true -- cruise lines would be trumpeting in huge letters on every brochure: BUY OUR CRUISE AIR AND IF YOUR FLIGHT IS DELAYED WE WILL GET YOU TO NEXT PORT. Wow, sign me up.

But it isn't there. It isn't anywhere. Because it doesn't exist. TA's who allow this misconception to continue do an enormous disservice to their clients. If this board accomplishes anything of value, it should be to kill this urban legend. Unfortunately, it's become like whack-a-mole."

Think seriously about the assumption that the cruise line has responsibility is a flight is delayed. If such a responsibility exists, it could be fulfilled in one of two ways: 1) financial and 2) equitable.

The financial component would be to compensate you for additional expense for, say, an extra flight to catch up to ship, meals and per diem, delayed luggage, etc. The answer is a flat NO. All of those expenses are what Trip Insurance is for. Without insurance your out of pocket expenses are totally out of YOUR pocket.

The equitable component would be something like expecting the cruise line to rebook you when you've missed a connection. Is someone in the cruise air department of ANY cruise line manning the phone 24/7 with complete access to all worldwide information on alternate air bookings to your destination? And able and willing to do the legwork to get you on those flights? Again, a flat NO.

Greatam can explain in detail the limitations and downsides of cruise air (in particular CONSOLIDATOR tickets). Much of the time cruise air will work out ok, it's when there's a glitch (pick a glitch, any glitch, and these days there are more glitches than ever) that the built-in limitations of cruise air can destroy your vacation. Just be sure to have a sound trip insurance policy, at least you will be financially restored if cruise air goes south.

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in Oct. and for various reasons ended up going with the airfare offered by the cruise line (RC). The price was only slightly more than $100/pp more than the cheapest I could find. Has anyone done this before? We usually book our own flights. Since we will be arriving on the day of the cruise, does anyone know what the general rule of thumb might be regarding arrival time? Are we correct in assuming that they (the cruise line) will be responsible if something should go wrong - as in a flight delay?

Here is the link to the RCCL cruise contract:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

PLEASE read paragraph 5. It SPECIFICALLY states that the cruise line DOES NOT have liability for ANY "third party vendors" which include airlines, hotels, ground transportation and shore excursions. There are NO guarantees. You cannot sue and you cannot get your money back (although sometimes posters report they get OBC for missed cruise days).

With all the turmoil in the airline industry today, cruise air could be your WORST option. You have NO guarantees. Rethink your cruise air tickets unless you have made final payment.

To the OP: Let me see if I have this straight....you paid $100 MORE than what you could have priced tickets on your own and you now will be getting tickets that you had no choice in selecting, that could be on any routing and airline, at any possible time, and which come with severe restrictions?? Those must have been pretty good "various reasons".

WE booked air through the cruiseline for our first cruise- we were nervous and thought (wrongly) that it would be the safest option as we didn't have an extra day to fly in early. When we recieved our flights, we saw a 45 minute connection time. PANIC!!! When booking myself, I tend to leave *at least* 1 to 1 1/2 hrs for connection (that's what books are for.). OK, we said, at least we have the first flight of the day our flight was scheduled for 6:30AM. How delayed could we be?

There were mechanical problems, and the plane was still sitting at the gate at 7:20AM. Our next flight was scheduled to leave at 8:30AM. No way were we making it. We started calling the "emergency number" the cruise line gave us... office hours began at 9am. Couldn't leave a message even. When we arrived at the connecting airport, we RAN!!!! Seriously, we've never moved so quickly in our lives! I think I almost knocked someone over, yelling "I'm so sorry" behind me! Three of us (My hubby, me, and some other unfortunate woman) were weaving around yelling "whoever makes it first holds the plane!" We made it to the gate just as they were shutting the doors, don't even know how we made it, must have been some time-warp thing going on. I spent first flight crying about how we weren't going to make our honeymoon cruise, and the second flight in a cold sweat from the total panicked run through the airport and worried about my husband and his pre-existing heart condition. The other pax must have thought we were insane.

So we arrive and are standing at the luggage carousel saying "The luggage didn't make it" And of course it didn't. So we're waiting for the bus to take us to the port, and people are looking at us funny because we were a total mess and w/o luggage.. we joked that we like to "travel light" and some older, well-travelled woman took pity and actually offered to lend me some clothing, which was so sweet. ("tsk tsk poor dears, did you buy air through the cruiseline?") Fortunately our luggage was able to make the later flight and made it to the ship before we sailed.

Long story short (too late) Do not purchase airfare through the cruise line. They can have awful routings, connection times which require time-travel, and charge you more for this to boot. Sure, you can luck out and many people have had no problems, but take it from me, there is too much risk for such a big deal as a cruise (they sail if you are on board or not), and it totally blows having such a crappy start to a vacation. Now, if we can't take enough time to fly in ahead of time as a cushion around the cruise, we opt for a different vacation plan.

I guess we had to learn the hard way, we're sort of "oooh that burner looks so red and pretty, let's touch it!" sort of folk lol.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond - I spoke to our TA as soon as I read these posts, and she said she thought that it was too late for a flight deviation. Now instead of being meerly "concerned" with our choice of cruise air, I am extemely nervous to say the least. I did learn something though; letting the cruise line book your flights is STUPID, and NO they are not responsible for missed flights, etc. Wow, were we misinformed! Too late for this trip, but we'll know better next time. On paper the flights look fine, and I am hoping and praying that everything goes without a hitch - I will be praying right up until we board.

Wow, were we misinformed! Too late for this trip, but we'll know better next time.

If the misinformation was from the TA, in my mind, you would be politely letting them know that in the future you will be using a:

1) Better informed TA

2) More truthful TA

3) All of the above

(Pick whichever fits your circumstance)

Well, TAs may do some of the misinforming. but the cruise lines do too, at one time on RCI's website FAQ they had a question: Why book cruiseair? And you can guess what the answer was: We will get you to the ship!!!

Did not mention that there maybe will be a really high additional charge as well as if it's too much trouble we can let the airline handle it.... Of course the contract read at that time like all do that they are just acting as agents.

I've used cruiseair when it was the best deal. On Oceania I got the cruise and the air for about the same as I could get the air alone... Just be an informed consumer. Good luck.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond - I spoke to our TA as soon as I read these posts, and she said she thought that it was too late for a flight deviation. Now instead of being meerly "concerned" with our choice of cruise air, I am extemely nervous to say the least. I did learn something though; letting the cruise line book your flights is STUPID, and NO they are not responsible for missed flights, etc. Wow, were we misinformed! Too late for this trip, but we'll know better next time. On paper the flights look fine, and I am hoping and praying that everything goes without a hitch - I will be praying right up until we board.

Coincidentally, I've just posted on the Alitalia thread and may be able to offer a small ray of sunshine on having taken the RC cruise air package?

In short, on advice from our TA, we paid a similar premium (albeit this did include the transfer to port) for family party of four for flights ex LHR to FCU. The reasons being (1) first cruise (2) family party day before cruise and (3) the transfer FCU to Civitavecchia is more of a hassle than most. Well, Alitalia overbooked , two of us were bumped off the booked flight, if we wanted to fly together (!) there were mutterings of flying 6 hours later. We called on the RCI rep, who I like to think, did offer real assistance. All party were put on the next immediate flight 50 minutes later and -- without being asked-- Alitalia offered financial compensation.

BTW, we arrived in good time. It is NOT a myth that the ship never waits -- we sailed two hours late because 20 passengers did not arrive in time!

Hope this offers some comfort

On a positive note, you have roundtrip ship transfers included with your airfare. :) And in addition, it is probably NOT too late to have an air deviation done (although availability may not be the best). International custom air with Royal Caribbean as an example, can be done up until 35 days prior to your sailing date. Have you considered booking a pre-night hotel and arriving into the port the day prior?

Since you are 'extremely nervous', have your TA get to work on checking for a pre-night hotel (or arrange that on your own), and an air deviation to give you peace of mind.

Dutchclogs--What a cruiseline chooses to do and what they are obligated to do are completely different things. One cannot count on them choosing to do something they are not obligated to do, such as holding a ship for late arrivals.

The Alitalia bumping resolution was more governed by the EU involuntary seat bumping rules than any RCI influence: http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l24173.htm. They were required by EU law to give you 250 Euros. Pay close attention to the rules for delays over 5 hours and you will see why they chose to put you on the next flight and not one 6 hours later. (To which they could bump folks from the flight you were re-assigned to without additional compensation.)

Just made me smile-remembering- YEARS and YEARS ago we booked air/transfer etc through cruise line. Because we were coming from the WEST coast and flying into FLORIDA and leaving on the AM ship- they flew us back and overnighted us in a hotel- their expense- NO PROBLEM:p Got checked into hotel room LATE-about an hour later- the door is opened--there is another couple there- the cruise had figured since it would be just a 'few" hours- they were going to "roomshare" their passengers! Mad dash to the front desk- ummm NO-I don't THINK so! They moved them to a different room. WOW-some good times

WE booked air through the cruiseline for our first cruise- we were nervous and thought (wrongly) that it would be the safest option as we didn't have an extra day to fly in early. When we recieved our flights, we saw a 45 minute connection time. PANIC!!! When booking myself, I tend to leave *at least* 1 to 1 1/2 hrs for connection (that's what books are for.). OK, we said, at least we have the first flight of the day our flight was scheduled for 6:30AM. How delayed could we be?

There were mechanical problems, and the plane was still sitting at the gate at 7:20AM. Our next flight was scheduled to leave at 8:30AM. No way were we making it. We started calling the "emergency number" the cruise line gave us... office hours began at 9am. Couldn't leave a message even. When we arrived at the connecting airport, we RAN!!!! Seriously, we've never moved so quickly in our lives! I think I almost knocked someone over, yelling "I'm so sorry" behind me! Three of us (My hubby, me, and some other unfortunate woman) were weaving around yelling "whoever makes it first holds the plane!" We made it to the gate just as they were shutting the doors, don't even know how we made it, must have been some time-warp thing going on. I spent first flight crying about how we weren't going to make our honeymoon cruise, and the second flight in a cold sweat from the total panicked run through the airport and worried about my husband and his pre-existing heart condition. The other pax must have thought we were insane.

So we arrive and are standing at the luggage carousel saying "The luggage didn't make it" And of course it didn't. So we're waiting for the bus to take us to the port, and people are looking at us funny because we were a total mess and w/o luggage.. we joked that we like to "travel light" and some older, well-travelled woman took pity and actually offered to lend me some clothing, which was so sweet. ("tsk tsk poor dears, did you buy air through the cruiseline?") Fortunately our luggage was able to make the later flight and made it to the ship before we sailed.

Long story short (too late) Do not purchase airfare through the cruise line. They can have awful routings, connection times which require time-travel, and charge you more for this to boot. Sure, you can luck out and many people have had no problems, but take it from me, there is too much risk for such a big deal as a cruise (they sail if you are on board or not), and it totally blows having such a crappy start to a vacation. Now, if we can't take enough time to fly in ahead of time as a cushion around the cruise, we opt for a different vacation plan.

I guess we had to learn the hard way, we're sort of "oooh that burner looks so red and pretty, let's touch it!" sort of folk lol.

I wonder if when you found out about the horrible connection time the cruise tickets provided for you, you then went ahead and had purchased, completely on your own, another set of outbound tickets for yourselves because they were on sale for the one way, with a much safer nonstop and much earlier arrival. Would the cruise line have the right to cancel the return flights they provided you with. Keep in mind, you still paid the cruise line for a roundtrip ticket, and you agree to forfeit the segment you will not take because of the short connection time. Because the cruise lines insist you purchase their air on a roundtrip basis, you are still fulfilling your end of the deal - just not using their outbound. Any ideas on this late, no-choice scenario many passengers can be faced with after full payment has been made.

The cruise line is NOT responsible if you arrive late and miss the ship. To cover these extra expenses, you need travel insurance.

please don't get me wrong! I totally endorse travel insurance is essential. Also, knowing what we know now, I too would make other travel arrangements. That said, our experience was that we did get assistance from RC and the ship did wait for passengers. :)

Would the cruise line have the right to cancel the return flights they provided you with. Keep in mind, you still paid the cruise line for a roundtrip ticket, and you agree to forfeit the segment you will not take because of the short connection time. Because the cruise lines insist you purchase their air on a roundtrip basis, you are still fulfilling your end of the deal - just not using their outbound. Any ideas on this late, no-choice scenario many passengers can be faced with after full payment has been made.
Interesting thinking, but the AIRLINE will automatically cancel any future portion of a ticket in this case. So you could not use your return flights only.

Interesting thinking, but the AIRLINE will automatically cancel any future portion of a ticket in this case. So you could not use your return flights only.

What if the tickets were on an open jaw itinerary, with 2 different airlines?? Or you could contact cruise air dept. that day, and say you missed the flight and will be making your new arrangements at your own expense?? And then requested they don't cancel the return segment. Just wondering if this would work.

I've used cruiseair when it was the best deal. On Oceania I got the cruise and the air for about the same as I could get the air alone... Just be an informed consumer. Good luck.

I agree, and also suggest using custom air, too, if the extra charge isn't going to bust the budget. We can do it with no fee with RCCL due to our Crown and Anchor status.

If one researches the available flights, then it's easier to decide whether to go with cruise air or not. I am thinking about this as an option for next Fall, but only for a portion of our air. If they can get us the one way long haul for less, which actually will have no connections, then I'll bite, and buy the other air around this.

I think I must be in the minority....

Booked cruise air thru Princess in 2007 to Tahiti worked out great

I just booked cruise air thru Princess for March 09--What I do is always go in for a pre cruise so I can relax and before I call the cruise line I research what flights I want with price. I then call cruise air and book those flights.

So far it has worked and I get to pick my flights as well.

I wouldn't let them suprise me with the flights a month before I go.

Granted you still have to check with the airlines now that's a whole nother story...:rolleyes:

Andrea

Archived