Be sure to register online before your cruise

DAllenTCY

Actually, the 90 minute rule was to have gone into effect in March, but a 6 month delay was granted. The cruise lines needed time to put this information in writing, both in the contract and in your booklet. In other words, enforcement will begin in September unless something else comes up.

And why wouldn't you want to be on board sipping a cold beverage at 3:30pm?

David

Thanks, David. Of couse, we all want to be on board and DH and I are always at the dock, ready to board, early. :) But not everyone can arrive at embarkation port a day ahead. (We come two days ahead). And we all know the airlines can wreck the best of good plans so sadly there are sure to be a few people who arrive at the dock 80 minutes ahead of sailing rather than the requisite 90 and I can't imagine how painful it would be to be denied boarding when you know the ship is going to sit there for 80 minutes before sailing.

Certainly HAL has no choice but to follow the law. The only option would be if there are a number of guests arriving 'late' and there is ample time for ship to reach it's first port if the ship sails some number of minutes late, is the expense too great to hold the ship the hour in order to allow these guests to board and still comly with the law.

If there are navigational reasons to have to leave on time, there is no choice.

If there is ample time, ?????

Teasing with you, Greg. :D

Yes..... I realized we could check cash on the pre Registration and then give our credit card at check in or in Neptune Lounge after we board.

I didn't even like putting out our passport numbers but that is just me. As I stated in another post, I don't consider anything entered into a computer safe. If hackers get into the Pentagon computers .......

My personal paranoia. ;)

I've been registering on line and putting in cash and then changing it to my credit card when I get to the desk at registration. No problem. They're more than happy to take your credit card and I've decided I don't want to put it out there so far in advance.

Judy, just wondering why you would be hesitant to put your passport number on line. What could they do with that that I haven't thought of?

:) But not everyone can arrive at embarkation port a day ahead. (We come two days ahead). And we all know the airlines can wreck the best of good plans so sadly there are sure to be a few people who arrive at the dock 80 minutes ahead of sailing rather than the requisite 90 and I can't imagine how painful it would be to be denied boarding when you know the ship is going to sit there for 80 minutes before sailing...

Guests who fill out the online pre-registration allow the cruiseline to submit their names on the required manifest prior to scheduled departure, whether or not they are yet physically on the ship. The cruiseline then has leeway on allowing them onboard up to the actual time of sailing.

Guests who DO NOT fill out the online pre-registration (for whatever personal reason) need to be aware that the ship cannot add them to the manifest and that they must be checked in (not in the taxi, not in the line, not giving luggage to the porters) in time to be put on the manifest, which the law requires submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Most cruiselines have set a 90 minute check-in rule to allow them 30 minutes to put the list together to be submitted.

I think that was more the point of the OP's post--if you choose not to do the online registration, be aware that you have additional time constraints on boarding and check-in. Folks who do the online registration have more flexibility.

Guests who fill out the online pre-registration allow the cruiseline to submit their names on the required manifest prior to scheduled departure, whether or not they are yet physically on the ship. The cruiseline then has leeway on allowing them onboard up to the actual time of sailing.

Guests who DO NOT fill out the online pre-registration (for whatever personal reason) need to be aware that the ship cannot add them to the manifest and that they must be checked in (not in the taxi, not in the line, not giving luggage to the porters) in time to be put on the manifest, which the law requires submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Most cruiselines have set a 90 minute check-in rule to allow them 30 minutes to put the list together to be submitted.

I think that was more the point of the OP's post--if you choose not to do the online registration, be aware that you have additional time constraints on boarding and check-in. Folks who do the online registration have more flexibility.

Yes, exactly. I have read exactly that explanation here in the past.

I understand the reason for pre -Registration.

Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

Please don't wait until the last minute.

David

Will there be a fax option for pre-registration?

Our last cruise, I didn't get it done in time - completely spaced it out - and they guy who checked us in was pretty put out by it.

Even though we were booked in a Deluxe Verandah Suite, we were told we had to wait in the regular line. I said, "Oh no, I think not" and refused to do so, as DVS is priority check-in and boarding. Only after I refused did they "allow" us to proceed to the proper line.

I won't make the mistake of forgetting to check-in ahead of time again. It almost seemed to be a criminal offense not to have done so...

We've not (yet) had a check in person with that sort of 'tude' but I would have done exactly the same thing, Laura. If they don't intend for anyone to use the paper Immigration Form, why do they include it with the documents?

We've not (yet) had a check in person with that sort of 'tude' but I would have done exactly the same thing, Laura. If they don't intend for anyone to use the paper Immigration Form, why do they include it with the documents?

•  
    Worksheet

• Backup

• Copy due printer crashed

• They need the storage space in SEA for something else

I am so ready to cruise that I completed the online registration several months ago - and we don't sail until October! :o That was before HAL changed the website. Now you cannot register until final payment is made. I even printed the boarding passes just to see how they looked!! :D

I will go back and verify the info and print new passes about a week before we sail.

I am one of those who does not check in before a cruise. I also hate lines. I arrive about 2 hours before sailaway and am onboard within minutes.

If I was inclined to board earlier, as most folk do, I would pre-register so as not to create further delay for anyone else.

I thought I read somewhere that they had to have the manifest completed 90 minutes before sailing. I could be wrong?

How soon can you check in? From what I'm reading here, it's obviously not like the 24-hr or less requirement of the airlines. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to checking in months early as a previous poster has done? (We're going in October.) We're hoping for a cabin upgrade - would/could this be affected by checking in now? We're still listed on the online check-in site as "Guarantee".

I figured I'd do ours about a week or so before. Any reason that won't work?

Thanks.

• Worksheet

• Backup

• Copy due printer crashed

• They need the storage space in SEA for something else

What do I know??? but

Not everyone who sails with HAL has/uses a computer.

Some folks have to use the paper Immigration Form that comes in the document folder.

I prefer using the paper form but have checked in (this time) on line. As long as it is still an option, some folks will use that form.

Cusyl-Manifest has to be submitted 60 minutes before actual sailing; most cruiselines are telling pax to be checked-in 90 minutes before sailing. 30 minutes for the cruiseline to put the list together, 60 minutes for the feds to check it over and let the ship sail on time.

Rarescrambler--HAL asks you to fill it out at least 30 days before sailing, but you can do it as soon as you book. It's not exactly the same as airlines, where most of them allow you to check in online from 24-2 hours before flight, but not sooner.

I am so ready to cruise that I completed the online registration several months ago - and we don't sail until October! :o That was before HAL changed the website. Now you cannot register until final payment is made. I even printed the boarding passes just to see how they looked!! :D

I will go back and verify the info and print new passes about a week before we sail.

I believe you can complete all the information as early as you like ... but you are not able to print the Express Boarding Pass til after final payment has been made.

Hi,

I also don't like putting my credit card number in on line. What I do is call HAL on the phone (before we go)and give them the info. (Because if they put it in their computer at the dock is it not the same info base as HAl would use over the phone?) So I feel I am safe. Am I making any sense?

Maria

What do I know??? but

Not everyone who sails with HAL has/uses a computer.

Some folks have to use the paper Immigration Form that comes in the document folder.

I prefer using the paper form but have checked in (this time) on line. As long as it is still an option, some folks will use that form.

Perchance you missed my intended sarcasm aimed at HAL?

Archived