Solstice and Equinox

SeaSeaCritic

It is called supply and demand. When the supply of available staterooms rise, the corresponding price declines. There are some good deals in these troubled economic times.

So I guess my question is why is RCCl selling staterooms on new ships and Celebrity isn't? Just compare the prices of the Solstice on Nov 30, '08, one of its first cruises in the States, to the Independence of the Seas on Nov. 29, '08 and you'll see the difference. I'm just baffled!!

So I guess my question is why is RCCl selling staterooms on new ships and Celebrity isn't? Just compare the prices of the Solstice on Nov 30, '08, one of its first cruises in the States, to the Independence of the Seas on Nov. 29, '08 and you'll see the difference. I'm just baffled!!

Celebrity added 2 extra sailings for the Solstice after they

moved up her Inaugural sailing. It might be some of those

cabins are just not selling so they are reducing the price.

Yep, supply and demand.

Celebrity added 2 extra sailings for the Solstice after they

moved up her Inaugural sailing. It might be some of those

cabins are just not selling so they are reducing the price.

Yep, supply and demand.

It's supply and demand, but why is there so little demand for these two ships overall. Check the website, these two ships aren't selling well beyond the 2 extra Solstice sailings, while the RCCL new ships are selling and are pricey. Has the Celebrity product become less attractive than the RCCL product? I never thought I see the day when Celebrity would be a bargin compared to RCCL! :eek:

FYI, the reason I've looked into these two ships was a comment I read on a RCCL thread that pointed out how cheap you can sail on Celebrity compared to RCCL.

There could be a lot of reasons why these cabins aren't selling.

Perhaps the Caribbean is not really the destination of choice for Celebrity cruisers. For example, the Equinox TA in Nov 09 has gone up over $1000 per person from when we booked.

Perhaps Celebrity isn't really meeting their targeted clientel with such large ships. Most of us enjoyed Celebrity with their smaller ships that stressed service. The T-pool is not on the new class of ships - a definite drawback. Those two ships do not even look like Celebrity ships - they look more like Royal Caribbean ships.

Travel agents are not totally informed about the way things will work on this class - there was a thread about someone being waitlisted for second seating and being told by the agent that Aqua Class was assigned seating in the main dining room and that Blu was a specialty restaurant for that cabin category.

And the space that is dedicated to the hot glass (glass blowing), well how many times can you see someone blow glass? Spectacular once, but then? The Corning Museum of Glass (the same group that will be putting on the Hot Glass Show on the Solstice class) has an exhibition at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry and as members we had tickets to see it twice. However, once was enough - and we are into glass - both hot and stained.

There could be a lot of reasons why these cabins aren't selling.

Perhaps the Caribbean is not really the destination of choice for Celebrity cruisers. For example, the Equinox TA in Nov 09 has gone up over $1000 per person from when we booked.

Perhaps Celebrity isn't really meeting their targeted clientel with such large ships. Most of us enjoyed Celebrity with their smaller ships that stressed service. The T-pool is not on the new class of ships - a definite drawback. Those two ships do not even look like Celebrity ships - they look more like Royal Caribbean ships.

Travel agents are not totally informed about the way things will work on this class - there was a thread about someone being waitlisted for second seating and being told by the agent that Aqua Class was assigned seating in the main dining room and that Blu was a specialty restaurant for that cabin category.

And the space that is dedicated to the hot glass (glass blowing), well how many times can you see someone blow glass? Spectacular once, but then? The Corning Museum of Glass (the same group that will be putting on the Hot Glass Show on the Solstice class) has an exhibition at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry and as members we had tickets to see it twice. However, once was enough - and we are into glass - both hot and stained.

Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps with these new ships they are targeting the RCCL, NCL and CCL market. Certainly the cabin prices should be very attractive to all who cruise. Can't help but think the changes in the evening dress suggestions are an attempt to attract new cruisers.

Thanks again.

We are elite on both Princess and Celebrity. We are booked on the Star Princess of October 2008, the Ruby Princess for April and the Equnionx for October 2009.

I have actually found more interest in the Equninox then the Ruby. In my view they are both about the same.

We booked for the itineraries.

There may be an additional reason these cruises are so reasonably priced. Last year, when Celebrity rolled out their Azamara refurb "Journey" there was a lot of negative publicity when there were some bumps in the road during the first few cruises. I don't think that they want a repeat of that process during the first "shakedown" cruises for a completely new design ship with completely new features and a newly organized crew.

I was on the Journey last year. Even though my wife and I had a very nice cruise, it was evident that they were still getting their act together. Personally, I would not choose to go on the first few sailings on either of these ships. BTW, we are sailing on the Solstice in February.

Our two booked cruises on Solstice (Carib & E Medit) are certainly not at any bargain rates & have not come down at all... I am watching to see if our fares on Solstice decrease as we approach final payment.......

Posters are correct--I think this ship may appeal to many non-Celeb cruisers- we are checking it out, but will likely then return to M class or Mercury--our fav ship (with a T pool!)- and Radiance class on Royal-- we like the size & layouts of these better than bigger ships...& do not need the lawn Club or Hot Glass shows...

We are booked on Equinox (13 night) Eastern Med. for Oct. '09. I checked the Royal E. Med. cruises for the same period and found only 11 nighters priced similarly. Our cruise seemes to be selling well. The price has increased significantly since we booked, and all the balcony categories are sold out except AC and CC. However, Azamara Journey has cheaper prices when you include air for a 14-night cruise calling on three more ports, and they are throwing in an OBC and pre-paid gratituiaties.

I'm on the same Equinox itinerary with Glendakayself. It was an awesome bargain when we booked months ago - but our cabin has gone up in price close to $1000 per person since we booked! I feel so lucky. :D

When we first booked, I was pretty stoked at the bargain it offered compared to similar itineraries on other cruise lines. But since it's gone up, it's now closer to the other mass-market lines on a price-per-night comparison.

I suspect it's partly because it's an unknown entity - especially AquaClass, which, IMO, is the best deal on the ship.

The theory about crossover from other lines is starting to be borne out--our Solstice roll call board just added a group of Royal cruisers who are checking out Celebrity on Solstice for the first time...

We cruise both lines but for different experiences...so I hope Solstice will still provide the Celebrity experience we hoped for when we booked it!

We will keep checking the prices but the cost for our Jan '09 cruise has gone up not down..

Does anyone know why cabins for these two ships are so inexpensive? I'm looking at the Solstice for Nov/Dec '08 and Equinox Jan '10? They're more reasonably priced compared to RCI new ships for the same time periods.

I've wondered the same SeaSeaCritic. The E. Med cruise has not risen since we booked (June) and, in comparison to similar E. Med itineraries on other ships in the same time period, is considerably less expensive, including RCCL ships (Vision in particular). Does make me scratch my head but as we're off the ship more than on with this itinerary, I won't worry about paying less on a new ship. :D However I booked for the itinerary not the ship, though I'm sure we'll enjoy the relative newness.

I've also noticed the discrepancy of prices between these ships and RCCL for the same periods. What's interesting is people think it's because of the newness of the two ships, but RCCL's Freedom class ships have been selling at a premium from the get go. Also the new ship Oasis' maiden voyage will probably sell out very quickly again at premium prices.

I guess this is good news for those of us interested in sailing on Equinox or Solstice. Now all we have to do is decide what ship we want to sail on.

I have frequently seen RCL prices higher than most other lines. Families love RCL and are willing to pay the premium for the rock walls, miniature golf, kids programs, promendade, etc. RCL sells ships. For the most part their itinieraires are mundane. Sr. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau - two more days on the ship as far as I am concerned. Their food has really gone downhill based on my experience on Freedom two years ago. I have not been on Celebrity in about two years but from what I have read the food quality in the Main DR has slipped. Celebrity niche used to be the food and upscale experience. Once they lose that advantage, they are now competing with everyone else. I believe they are making a big mistake in making their ships less formal and cutting back on food. The people who used to sail Celebrity are much more recession proof that the people who typically sail RCL, NCL and Princess. My guess is that these people also are not worried about a few hundred dollars more for airfare. When Celebrity starts competing for the more price conscious cruisers, they will have a problem and maybe these lower prices reflects that.

Interesting topic. To the argument that maybe the Caribbean isn't the destination of choice (which may be true), I would submit that it would have more appeal to those in the US due to the airfare prices. It would / will be much cheaper to fly within the continental US than abroad. I would think this would cause RCL to lower their prices on cruises abroad to attract customers. But who knows.

Personally from what I've seen, RCCL is expensive for their new ships. If you read RCL's corporate annual report, they list RCCL as a deluxe cruise line and X a premium cruise line, with the emphasis on premium being a "higher class" of ship. I find this interesting especially considering that RCCL is priced higher on alot of their cruises on new ships compared to the Soltice and Equinox.

Hi Everyone !

I agree that one of the biggest factors is supply and demand, and the Solstice class being an unknown entity at the moment. I believe that once the initial sailings are underway, and if all goes smoothly and the feedback is positive, that prices may rise. In some cases, they have already gone up quite a bit from initial pricing. I recall a very similar situation with Azamara's roll out, where prices were initially very low.... and now that Azamara's reviews have been quite good.... prices are much higher now.

I also agree that passengers with families are willing to pay more for the family type items on Royal's ships, like Rock Climbing and Ice Skating etc. To me, that's a plus for Celebrity passengers, as we have no interest in any of that.

Of course, the overall economy and Oil prices will also play a big factor, and the economic outlook for the next 6-12 months doesnt look very positive. This will also effect pricing, as passengers may be cutting back on vacations.

For those that are looking to Cruise, I wouldnt try to analyze it too much. I would look at the current pricing as a very good value !

Archived