Dress Code Questions

Len3

Has X now changed the dress code to just 2 attires - formal and smart casual? We're booked on a trans-atlantic repo and are wondering what we will need to bring along. What does X consider as smart casual, we have the formal down pat, but need advice on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a similar question...haven't been on Celebrity before...are the dress codes in the brochure for dining rooms or for the whole ship (eg, it doesn't say that people (or kids) can wear shorts ...)

Thanks for any help ....

Ali

Dress codes are for the dining room.

"Smart casual" is basically the casual that you may know from other cruise lines. Slacks and shirt with sleeves for men, slacks or skirts and tops for women. Of course you are free to dress up from these "standards" but not down--no shorts, no jeans in the dining room.

The dress code is for the dining rooms only. You can wear shorts on the buffet line. Smart casual is a new thing but as far as I can understand they have got rid of the informal wear (sport coats). They will not allow blue jeans or ripped pants. May I suggest casual pants and polo shirt (shirt must have sleeves). For ladies slacks/dress/skirt with blouse. Hope this helps. Enjoy your X cruise, it is a wonderful cruise line

Smart casual for men is usually slacks (or Dockers), and collared shirt, although many wear Polo style rather than dress shirt. Some gents choose to wear a sports jacket also.

For women, skirt and blouse, or long pants/blouse.

Actually the dress code for nights other than formal is Smart Casual and Above.

Evening Dress Codes

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Dress codes are for the dining room.

"Smart casual" is basically the casual that you may know from other cruise lines. Slacks and shirt with sleeves for men, slacks or skirts and tops for women. Of course you are free to dress up from these "standards" but not down--no shorts, no jeans in the dining room.

The dress code doesn't say no jeans in the dining room. It says no jeans on Informal Nights which don't exist anymore.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

You would think X would update their web site. There is still lots of references to the "informal night" which is poof. :)

The previous poster is being selective in his posting. He has posted in previous threads and has been told that other portions of the web site are very clear that no jeans are permitted in the dining rooms. For whatever reason, he chooses to not post that portion of the web site even though he knows its there. Here is the area where it clearly states no Jeans. They have also eliminated all references in this portion to the three dress codes. Lets give out correct information to people and not have an agenda. Celebrity needs to update all pages as they have done with the below page.

EC or Len, I was not posting about you, a couple posts were put in between.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000Sa8rEk_wL7w7tLgfPUPNQIP:12h3rnd1c?pagename=proper_dining_attire

The previous poster is being selective in his posting. He has posted in previous threads and has been told that other portions of the web site are very clear that no jeans are permitted in the dining rooms. For whatever reason, he chooses to not post that portion of the web site even though he knows its there. Here is the area where it clearly states no Jeans. They have also eliminated all references in this portion to the three dress codes. Lets give out correct information to people and not have an agenda. Celebrity needs to update all pages as they have done with the below page.

EC or Len, I was not posting about you, a couple posts were put in between.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000Sa8rEk_wL7w7tLgfPUPNQIP:12h3rnd1c?pagename=proper_dining_attire

Are you talking about me? First of all I'm not a he, and I'm certainly not being selective..here's the link. Search for dress code under SEARCH and see what you get. And then please come back and tell me either where I was being selective or apologize.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000bXmFV5xr6f6FB4HNuMrqagv:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Are you talking about me? First of all I'm not a he, and I'm certainly not being selective..here's the link. Search for dress code under SEARCH and see what you get. And then please come back and tell me either where I was being selective or apologize.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000bXmFV5xr6f6FB4HNuMrqagv:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Yes, I was and what you state is certainly in the web site and I acknowledged that in my post. You knew the other page was on the web site and yet only chose what apparently has become your agenda. You were selective in only posting the one area and not the other and therefore giving bad info to the individual asking for help.

But you know, I give up, you win. You can clearly wear Jeans on all informal nights from now on while your on a Celebrity ship.

Yes, I was and what you state is certainly in the web site and I acknowledged that in my post. You knew the other page was on the web site and yet only chose what apparently has become your agenda. You were selective in only posting the one area and not the other and therefore giving bad info to the individual asking for help.

But you know, I give up, you win. You can clearly wear Jeans on all informal nights from now on while your on a Celebrity ship.

I thought there were no more informal nights and no where on the website can I see reference to no jeans on smart casual evenings.

Sorry Don, but you're confusing me with someone else. I wasn't the one going to the wall on the Jeans thread fight. I have never read the link that you posted.

Just how many areas of the website does Celebrity expect a customer to search to get the right answer?

There's nothing to win, I don't take jeans on vacation, but seeing as under the FAQs and on their current cruise documents, it's not stated that you can't wear jeans in the dining room, I hate people telling other people that they can't. Celebrity needs to get it's story straight.

It will be interesting to see if people wearing jeans are admitted to the dining room. From everything I've seen they are going to enforce this more than they used to.

It will be interesting to see if people wearing jeans are admitted to the dining room. From everything I've seen they are going to enforce this more than they used to.

Reports from the Baltics cruise recently said they were jeans everywhere on the ship including the dining room.

What have you seen? I can't find anything on the website that disallows jeans on smart casual evenings.

Sorry Don, but you're confusing me with someone else. I wasn't the one going to the wall on the Jeans thread fight. I have never read the link that you posted.

Just how many areas of the website does Celebrity expect a customer to search to get the right answer?

There's nothing to win, I don't take jeans on vacation, but seeing as under the FAQs and on their current cruise documents, it's not stated that you can't wear jeans in the dining room, I hate people telling other people that they can't. Celebrity needs to get it's story straight.

If I am confusing you with someone else, I apologize...

I've posted once on a Dress Code related thread and immediatley jumped out because these threads always seem to turn nasty and rude. This one has 20 posts since it started a few hrs ago which is the highest rate of the currently active ones. I think the posts have answered the OP's question and now we turn to 'jeans'. It's sad that since we are basically blogging anomously, the conversations always seem to turn. Have you noticed that on Roll Call threads, where there is a good chance of meeting face-to-face on the cruise we all are quite civil, but here, we aren't. Too bad.

One piece of advice, when (not if) the nasty posts start, just use the triangle in the corner to report it, and don't respond. The hosts will take appropriate action. If you respond, especially if you add the rude post into your post to respond, then your's will be removed also. If you've added some productive info along with the response to the rude post, it will be lost. So I've learned, especially after our Host 'helped' me by reminding me to use the triangle to alert the host and not get into a back-and-forth.

Denny

Thanks to everyone for the help. This will be our first experience on Celebrity and we want to get it right.

Len,

My wife and I have been on 24 cruises including four with Celebrity. And most recently we were on a transatlantic on the Emerald Princess.

My opinion which is based on my observations, is that "smart casual" does not require a sports jacket and dress slacks for men, which is the old definition of "informal". A nice pair of pants like Dockers or Nordstrom's and a shirt with a collar and you will look fine.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Fred

Archived