Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

we're leaving Sunday.

I think we've made a big mistake.

Roz

You'll be fine! Most people don't care what you wear and many, many of them will be in jeans. On our last cruise, a lady we had dinner with was wearing the equivalent of a house dress and had no teeth! Her idea of 'smart casual,' I guess. :D

This arguing about jeans is a 'merry-go-round' subject. It just goes on and on and on and never ends!

Enjoy your cruise!

Robin

so, the guy in the picture - does he meet the definition of formal? Let me quote:

As for those who say it does not matter to them what others wear, let me ask you -would you mind if I bring my boom box to the table in the dining room? Of course you would, because it would change the ambiance of the evening for others around me. That is why the attire of the guests is important.

First of all the OP asked about smart casual, formal wasn't in the question asked.

Noise pollution is entirely different from eye pollution. One can always look elsewhere, one cannot turn off their hearing (normally). You are comparing apples and oranges and it doesn't work.

I have say that some of the comments in this thread have totally made me think about whether or not my husband and I actually belong on a cruise. Maybe we're not cruise people. Of course it's way too late now as I've already spent a ton of money and we're leaving Sunday.

I'm bringing only 3 classes of clothing. 1: The formal night wear. 2: Jeans. 3: Docker khakis to wear with blazers/sweaters and tops in case I want to be a little more dressed up than in jeans though definitely casual. It never occurred to me that people would be looking so critically at my attire. I think I always look neat and nice though I rarely dress up. I don't know what "country club wear" is because I've never been in a country club. Obviously many of the people who cruise have, and my mere presence may be annoying to them. Thank heavens we have "As you wish dining" so we can sit by ourselves so as not to offend.

By the way, at first I thought it was a generational thing, but my husband and I are in our 60's and have never had a time in our lives when we've not had and worn jeans. I've also never been on a farm. My parents died when they were in their 80's and they both wore jeans.

Roz

Your only mistake is not in booking the cruise, its reading these boards and taking the criticism seriously! Never forget the internet gives people the veil of anonymity and thus are more likely to say things on a BBS than they would if they met you face to face. Also, don't forget that there are some folks who also just like to complain about changes. We've booked HAL to Alaska and we leave in a few weeks. I am going to be very comfortable in the dining room on those 'smart casual nights' wearing my jeans and polo or flannel shirts.

I do wonder if the clothing snobs who recoil at the mention of jeans in the dining room are the same ones to treat the excellent service staff with no courtesy as though they were slaves. I am content to be judged by how I treat others, not by what I wear.

That said, enjoy your cruise! You'll have a marvelous time.

I have say that some of the comments in this thread have totally made me think about whether or not my husband and I actually belong on a cruise. Maybe we're not cruise people. Roz

Not all cruisers are snobs. If people are so concerned about someone not dressing up to their standards maybe they should book with a high end cruise line,which Hal is not. While I hardly would compare the dining to Outback(ish!),it is not 4 or 5 star dining either.

Since Hal allows jeans in the DR, then under Hal's own guidelines they must be smart casual.

And I'm sorry, but Birkenstocks are not as ugly as Crocs. :p However, I wouldn't wear my Birkenstocks to dinner, and I was happy to not see Crocs on anyone but young kids on my May cruise.

I do think that shoes are a bigger part of making an outfit acceptable or not. I've seen some outfits (even on formal nights) totally ruined by the crappy shoes worn with them. Sparkly dresses worn with casual slides. Not a good look. But it didn't effect my meal (especially since I knew my shoes went perfectly with my outfit :) )

I have say that some of the comments in this thread have totally made me think about whether or not my husband and I actually belong on a cruise. Maybe we're not cruise people. Of course it's way too late now as I've already spent a ton of money and we're leaving Sunday.

Roz

This is so funny because, after reading some of the "thread" threads here I thought the same thing before our recent cruise.

DO NOT WORRY!!! First the only people who can "dictate" anything are HAL employees and contract employees. That's it. What you're seeing here are personal opinions, nothing more. I have my opinions, others have theirs. We can read the same attire "rule book" and come up with differing conclusions on certain items.

I actually found myself more amused than anything else at the disconnect between posts you see here and what actually happens on a ship. Enjoy yourself, and feel free to find the disconnect as amusing as I did.

Seriously, don't worry about it. What you described will be just fine.

Hey look, up until a couple (give or take) years ago, HAL specifically forbid the wearing of jeans in the diningroom. It was there, in writing, for everyone to see. Guess what? That's been taken out. Time to live with it! How does that saying go? The times, they are a changing? Let's be realistic here, the wearing of jeans as work clothing, only on farms has been a thing of the past for a little more than "a couple of years", n'est pas?

Someone else on this fine thread said it well: Use common sense! If you want to wear jeans on a non-formal night, then go for it! Don't wear a T-shirt or a set of wife beaters with them (common sense) Now, it would be nice if them there jeans were recently washed and clean looking as opposed to having been used last week to change the water pump on a 78 Nova, again common sense. And, unless you're Alan Jackson or Kenny Chesney in concert, it wouldn't look real cool if you have them big ole' holes in the knees.

Will you get "looks" from some folks upon entering the nice confines of "Outback at sea", sorry, the ship's formal diningroom when wearing your nice set of jeans? Maybe, could be, but so what? Give 'em a big smile and enjoy your dinner, your company and your cruise. This topic is not worth getting all nervous, let alone, stressed about! Life's too short!

This is so funny because, after reading some of the "thread" threads here I thought the same thing before our recent cruise.

DO NOT WORRY!!! First the only people who can "dictate" anything are HAL employees and contract employees. That's it. What you're seeing here are personal opinions, nothing more. I have my opinions, others have theirs. We can read the same attire "rule book" and come up with differing conclusions on certain items.

I actually found myself more amused than anything else at the disconnect between posts you see here and what actually happens on a ship. Enjoy yourself, and feel free to find the disconnect as amusing as I did.

I agree with you 100%

Couldn't have said it better :)

OK, so the guy looked "dorky" to some of you . . . How about this guy? Let him into the dining room on a "smart casual" night or not??

brad%20pitt%20edwin%20jeans.jpg

Regards, Richard

PS - Ruth C, you probably would snag him on the way to the dining room!

PSS - $188

Now we are talking...........:D

OK, so the guy looked "dorky" to some of you . . . How about this guy? Let him into the dining room on a "smart casual" night or not??

In my playbook, anyone who tosses Jennifer Aniston aside is a dork. But that's just me. I notice she still hasn't called me (my wife wouldn't mind.....much).

But that's a whole 'nother topic.

brad%20pitt%20edwin%20jeans.jpg

Regards, Richard

PS - Ruth C, you probably would snag him on the way to the dining room!

PSS - $188

1. Needs a shave

2. Shirt not buttoned

3. Tie not tied

4. Sleeves too long/needs cuff links

5. Forgot his belt

As a side note, has a great looking spouse!!;)

In my playbook, anyone who tosses Jennifer Aniston aside is a dork. But that's just me. I notice she still hasn't called me (my wife wouldn't mind.....much).

But that's a whole 'nother topic.

Well he did leave for Angelina Jolie !!!!!!!!!!!

Of course he left Jennifer for wild and crazy, Angelina. He didn't know he was gonna end up schleping orphans through 3rd world countries with Mia Farrow wanna be Angelina.

I'm bringing only 3 classes of clothing. 1: The formal night wear. 2: Jeans. 3: Docker khakis to wear with blazers/sweaters and tops in case I want to be a little more dressed up than in jeans though definitely casual. It never occurred to me that people would be looking so critically at my attire. I think I always look neat and nice though I rarely dress up. I don't know what "country club wear" is because I've never been in a country club. Obviously many of the people who cruise have, and my mere presence may be annoying to them. Thank heavens we have "As you wish dining" so we can sit by ourselves so as not to offend.

By the way, at first I thought it was a generational thing, but my husband and I are in our 60's and have never had a time in our lives when we've not had and worn jeans. I've also never been on a farm. My parents died when they were in their 80's and they both wore jeans.

Roz

Don't make a judgement call just yet and neither will I. I've never cruised HAL before either but I would be shocked if this is representative of anything but individual preference. Keep in mind a few threads down is a thread on used clothes and there are some who would buy there and many who wouldn't. I'll be taking my 4th cruise and I have yet to find a ship that is remarkably different but for nuanced service or food presentation and/or ambiance and then it becomes a matter of personal needs. I would expect HAL to be as other ships are, smart casual being what you already know in any setting in your environment. The talk about Jeans as farm wear shows that perspective is off a bit. I think an age gap exists on any ship and each has a norm. I have never seen someone show up in slippers or coveralls or anything cited as examples. On my last cruise one couple was dressed in full Tux and top hat and his bride wore an outdated evening gown. They were magnificent in a cute, old fashioned, anomaly sort of way. You noticed them, smiled but wouldn't be caught dead dressed like them. btw: I absolutely adored and appreciated them. Most people on a cruise are there for vacation and know what to wear that suits the evening and their environment. Any vacation is a very personal thing. Ships are all caught between outdated fashion and fashionably chic which includes comfort. As this thread shows, there is no right answer except that you and I have the wonderful cruise we paid for. I have never been disappointed and my long evening gowns have NEVER found their way on a ship. I save those for settings I deem required for the setting and I aim for style as well as comfort on vacation. Thus far it seems to be the norm whatever that is. Formal nights on any ship line are dress up nights and then you already know what to do and today's fahion will clash with most cruise line fashions.

I am betting our first HAL experience is going to be everything wonderful we have read here whether anyone dresses for comfort or not.

Rozndon

Must be a New Jersey thing this dressing in jeans

We are also in our sixties and from northern NJ.

No farms in Essex & Morris and wear respectable jeans often

We do not consider ourselves as being "the lowest common denominator...." nor are we "making a statement" on our lack of class

I feel the ones judging others in a negative manner because they do not conform to thier "high" standards and therefore "lack ...respect for other like minded passengers" are the ones lacking class & respect IMHO

You have not made a mistake

Go enjoy you cruise I think you will find the majority are not the country club set and will not be offended at all

As Neil Diamond says "FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS"

Since babyher got the first 100%, I get the second! I agree 200%! ;)

There's a whole forum on here devoted to women and their dresses. I haven't seen a forum on here devoted to jeans? Why would there be a forum dedicated to dresses and dressing up if it wasn't popular?

Oh yea we've officially closed all the gaps now,for dressing up

1.Caribbean Itineraries- "It's a casual laidback cruise no need to dress"

2.Alaska Itineraries- "It's Alaska- gotta wear Flannel shirts and jeans" need to do my best Paul Bunyan impression

3.All the other itineraries we can pull the ole "The airlines are charging for a second bag and we will only be able to pack our yard work clothing"

Yes we've officially entered the "Dumbing Down" zone

Must be a New Jersey thing this dressing in jeans. We are also in our sixties and from northern NJ.

Silver sailor...not just northern NJ, but Baltimore also. ;)

I'm a little younger, but I and all of my female friends wear very dark denim jeans on a regular basis. I had dinner with a girlfriend who is the same age over the weekend and she wore a silk tunic, jeans, metallic strappy sandals with 3 inch heels and great jewelry. She looked fabulous! We watch what we eat, exercise and look good, although not Brangelina good, in our jeans. I've been wearing jeans since I was a teenager and can't imagine not. They're simply a staple in my wardrobe, just like the LBD. ;)

Silver sailor...not just northern NJ, but Baltimore also. ;)

I'm a little younger, but I and all of my female friends wear very dark denim jeans on a regular basis. I had dinner with a girlfriend who is the same age over the weekend and she wore a silk tunic, jeans, metallic strappy sandals with 3 inch heels and great jewelry. She looked fabulous! We watch what we eat, exercise and look good, although not Brangelina good, in our jeans. I've been wearing jeans since I was a teenager and can't imagine not. They're simply a staple in my wardrobe, just like the LBD. ;)

HEY!!!!! East Coast can't claim it excusively...it is also a West Coast thing! Some jeans cost more than an entire wardrobe and that is the only complaint I have. lol

Rozndon

Must be a New Jersey thing this dressing in jeans

We are also in our sixties and from northern NJ.

No farms in Essex & Morris and wear respectable jeans often

We do not consider ourselves as being "the lowest common denominator...." nor are we "making a statement" on our lack of class

I feel the ones judging others in a negative manner because they do not conform to thier "high" standards and therefore "lack ...respect for other like minded passengers" are the ones lacking class & respect IMHO

You have not made a mistake

Go enjoy you cruise I think you will find the majority are not the country club set and will not be offended at all

As Neil Diamond says "FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS"

And you get my other 100% agreement :)

Archived