Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

Wow are jeans smart casual, now there's a question. I think they can be and cannot. There are some beautiful jeans you can buy, and with some hefty price tags, certainly not jeans you would be wearing on a farm, but then there's also jeans that look like they should be worn on the farm. Personally I like jeans, own them and wear them. Men can look so hot in a "great pair of jeans" with a white dress shirt and jacket. They certainly do look country club casual dressed that way in my opinion.

What I worry about is if jeans start becoming the norm in the dinning room, then how far are we away from the very worn and ripped jeans that should only be worn on the farm. We all know how we tend to take it to the extreme, and then next it will be shorts that are accepted for dinner.

So I'm going to say to poiu0987 jeans are not country club casual, keep respecting your grandmothers traditions whether she is on your cruise or not, jeans should not be worn in the dinning room. Her traditions should become yours and you then can pass down those same traditions to your children, isn't that what we do for our children?

At the closing of the linked video, Bill said, "We're a nation of slobs who won't be happy until we can go to the mall in a diaper." I think that just about sums it up. :rolleyes: Now that I think about it, we're not far from being there.

Please note that the above statement is not aimed at the OP or any other poster. It's just a general observation of what's happening all around us ... even on elegant cruise ships.

I have problems with absolutes - in both directions. I've seen women wear dresses that looked liked moomoos or something to clean the floor in. I've seen jackets on men that were beat up and disgusting. I've seen some of the dark blue or black jeans with rhinestones and silver studs with a silk blouse and black high heels that looked stunning.

People need to use common sense and dress for the occassion. Not look for loopholes in clearly intended directions.

People need to use common sense and dress for the occassion. Not look for loopholes in clearly intended directions.

PUH-LEEEZE! Next you are going to expect people to think before they open their mouths or hit the send button. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW probably the single most intelligent post in any of the hundreds of dress code threads that I've seen. ;)

I have problems with absolutes - in both directions. I've seen women wear dresses that looked liked moomoos or something to clean the floor in. I've seen jackets on men that were beat up and disgusting. I've seen some of the dark blue or black jeans with rhinestones and silver studs with a silk blouse and black high heels that looked stunning.

I think that is the key. "People need to use common sense and dress for the occasion." Common sense works well in most situations. Even I can't really say whether I'd wear nice jeans with a suit jacket until I see what the ambiance is. My goal in a dining room is to eat so I cede to the clothes around me...the norm. Of course if the food is as good as everyone says I may arrive in designer bibs. ;)

I whole-heartedly agree! I am just glad that HAL cruise critic people are just a small percentage that makes up the guests on their beautiful ships. Some of the answers on this board amaze me. NO... jeans are not just for on the farm!!! I love how people slam others for jeans... I have seen some of the old people show up in outfits that they deem "dressy" just because it is a dress?!!! Come on!!! And they're some of the same people who look down their nose and say they don't even own jeans. Well... maybe it is time they did! Just because it is a dress doesn't make it dressy. I think nice jeans look great with a sports coat. Times change... you can either resist and resist and resist, or you can just go with the flow and decide not to care so much about what others do. But please don't try to scare people off of HAL, and the Cruise Critic just because you are so steeped in tradition to look outside the box... just a little. Time to give up those orthopedic shoes...(they aren't dressy) and those dresses you have had since you were first married (or post children) and let others be. Or just answer questions people ask NICELY!!! You don't have to throw in YOUR agenda. If you only want to wear jeans on the farm? Great! Personally, I have never lived on a farm and wouldn't take my nice jeans to one.

As far as crocs go... I agree... not for the dining room, but on the same point, they look just as good as Birkenstocks. There is a product that people think the name and the price mean something. They are just as ugly as crocs but worn for the most part for the same reasons.... some find them very comfortable. But I certianly would have a nice dinner if my table mates wore both:)

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual".

HAL recently modified their "smart casual" dress code and a nice pair of jeans is fine now in the dining room for those nights.

Enjoy your cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I whole-heartedly agree! I am just glad that HAL cruise critic people are just a small percentage that makes up the guests on their beautiful ships. Some of the answers on this board amaze me. NO... jeans are not just for on the farm!!! I love how people slam others for jeans... I have seen some of the old people show up in outfits that they deem "dressy" just because it is a dress?!!! Come on!!! And they're some of the same people who look down their nose and say they don't even own jeans. Well... maybe it is time they did! Just because it is a dress doesn't make it dressy. I think nice jeans look great with a sports coat. Times change... you can either resist and resist and resist, or you can just go with the flow and decide not to care so much about what others do. But please don't try to scare people off of HAL, and the Cruise Critic just because you are so steeped in tradition to look outside the box... just a little. Time to give up those orthopedic shoes...(they aren't dressy) and those dresses you have had since you were first married (or post children) and let others be. Or just answer questions people ask NICELY!!! You don't have to throw in YOUR agenda. If you only want to wear jeans on the farm? Great! Personally, I have never lived on a farm and wouldn't take my nice jeans to one.

As far as crocs go... I agree... not for the dining room, but on the same point, they look just as good as Birkenstocks. There is a product that people think the name and the price mean something. They are just as ugly as crocs but worn for the most part for the same reasons.... some find them very comfortable. But I certianly would have a nice dinner if my table mates wore both:)

Golf clap for this post.

Just be prepared for the collective gasp of horror when you enter the dining room..:rolleyes:

LOL ... give me a break. A nice pair of jeans are acceptable in a lot of land-based restaurants now. Why should it be any different on a ship?

After all, let's all be realistic here. You're not dining at Le bec Fin when you go to the ship's dining room. It's a family type of restaurant, similar to your local Outback Steakhouse. Maybe the Pinnacle would demand a different mode of dress, but eating in the dining room is just like going to a decent ... not fancy ... restaurant at home and jeans are fine there (on casual night, of course).

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think it's an age thing. Regards, Richard

Perhaps, but I am quite sure I am older than some of the HAL pax I've seen in pics posted on this board and I have a closet full of jeans, mostly dark denim. ;)

I've also seen pics of HAL pax on this board that are wearing jeans. :D

Exactly. Bottom line is does it look like you devoted some time to getting dressed that night? Do you look "smart," or do you look like someone who just rolled out of bed and threw on whatever.

Nothing wrong with jeans at all, in my opinion. But there are jeans and then there are jeans. Wear the ones that are appropriate for dining out.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If more people took a good, long, honest look in a 3-way mirror before donning jeans, we'd have a lot fewer discussions about them on this board.

To answer the original question---no, jeans are not "smart casual". They can be made to look nice if:

the person wearing them has the body for them

they are darker and new-looking

they are part of an outfit that looks polished.

It's a family type of restaurant, similar to your local Outback Steakhouse.

In my experience, the general dress in the DR at dinner is substantially classier than my local Outback.

I appreciate that as it does contribute to the enjoyment of the dining experience for me.

Banning certain types of clothes is not going to turn the dining room into Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons overnight (even though Crocs and velour track 'Brittany Spears' suits should be confiscated along with hard liquour at the gangway). But, perhaps they could put on lectures about table manners and adding "please" or "thank you" into a sentence, two phrases that were sadly missing on the Volendam back in July.

My last trip on the Westerdam the woman next to me wore a jogging suit to dinner,and her husband wore the SAME jeans every night.

Did you enjoy the subtle scent of Aqua Velva? I hope it wasn't a Caribbean cruise.:D

But, perhaps they could put on lectures about table manners and adding "please" or "thank you" into a sentence, two phrases that were sadly missing on the Volendam back in July.

Is there any reason you think that those that might benefit from these talks would attend?

will I see men wearing their baseball caps in the dining room? I see that in restaurants a lot - and not just the fast food places, either. I feel like walking up to them and saying, "Didn't your mother teach you not to wear your cap at the table?" I perceive the HAL passengers a little more sophisticated - I may be wrong - I'll find out soon!

Archived