Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

will I see men wearing their baseball caps in the dining room? I see that in restaurants a lot - and not just the fast food places, either. I feel like walking up to them and saying, "Didn't your mother teach you not to wear your cap at the table?" I perceive the HAL passengers a little more sophisticated - I may be wrong - I'll find out soon!

Probably not, but I think that HAL passengers would like to think they are more sophiscated, but really aren't ..... off to make some popcorn .....

will I see men wearing their baseball caps in the dining room? I see that in restaurants a lot - and not just the fast food places, either. I feel like walking up to them and saying, "Didn't your mother teach you not to wear your cap at the table?" I perceive the HAL passengers a little more sophisticated - I may be wrong - I'll find out soon!

I hope you won't find baseball caps in the DR, but I suggest you don't wind yourself up if you do. I think most HAL pax have a reasonable sense of decorum and act accordingly. However, there are those that seem to care less and openly demonstrate their lack of care. On one of my recent cruises, there was a couple that were apparently John Marley fans, and chose to dress accordingly even on "formal" nights, with the signature knit (crocheted) rainbow colored Marley hat very much in presence on both.

Exactly. Bottom line is does it look like you devoted some time to getting dressed that night? Do you look "smart," or do you look like someone who just rolled out of bed and threw on whatever.

Nothing wrong with jeans at all, in my opinion. But there are jeans and then there are jeans. Wear the ones that are appropriate for dining out.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's the problem...people can't make that judgement call. They think they look good but was a mirror part of that illusion?

That's the problem...people can't make that judgement call. They think they look good but was a mirror part of that illusion?

Be careful, you are beginning to sound like a student / proponent of new age metaphysics. "Reality is an illusion" and "Our experiences are mirrors of our thoughts."

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual". The reason I ask is because 1. a nice pair of jeans with a fancy shirt can look just as good as a pair of slacks and 2. on our last cruise (to Alaska in 05 on Westerdam) I noticed may people wear jeans is the dining room. I did not because I was traveling with my very traditional grandmother. What is everyone's opinion on this?

I'm a very traditional grandmother, too, and since you asked, my short answer is a resounding, "No".....jeans are not 'smart casual'...not in my book anyway. Smart...no. Casual...yes.

I would never wear them on a cruise. First of all, in my mind, jeans are something I wear when I'm doing nothing special...just "hanging out" clothes. So it doesn't fit my "vacation mindset." Secondly, why take up valuable space in my luggage with a pair of jeans when they're so heavy? It's a "two-fer!" One pair of jeans = 2 pair of slacks or cropped pants!

They would be appropriate on shore excursions or on the deck on Alaska cruises, but not appropriate attire in the dining room...IMHO.

:D :D :D

OK, let me be blunt.....my wife and I don't own jeans because we really don't look good in them.

Believe me, you are not alone. Most people who wear jeans either don't seem care how they look or don't have a full-length mirror at home. Jeans are apparently one item of clothing that enhance figure flaws rather than correct them.

I have to wonder if some of the men who wear jeans don't notice that "muffin top" bulging over their waistbands, and do all those women really want to draw attention to their "saddlebags"? Don't any of them check their rear views and notice that they have waaaay too much "junk in the trunk"?, or are they all myopic?:confused:

Valerie

Where in the dress code does it says jeans are appropriate in the dining room for dinner? I know people wear them but I have not seen it in print.

"The Holland America website states:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women......"

To me, jeans and slacks don't mean the same thing at all.

Believe me, you are not alone. Most people who wear jeans either don't seem care how they look or don't have a full-length mirror at home. Jeans are apparently one item of clothing that enhance figure flaws rather than correct them.

I have to wonder if some of the men who wear jeans don't notice that "muffin top" bulging over their waistbands, and do all those women really want to draw attention to their "saddlebags"? Don't any of them check their rear views and notice that they have waaaay too much "junk in the trunk"?, or are they all myopic?:confused:

Valerie

Too funny....that why I don't like them...there is too much junk in the trunk:D .

. . . <snip> I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual". <snip>

Not unless there will be line dancing between the courses.

I grew up in SoCal. Mom and Dad did not allow me to wear jeans - period! Neither did they. I didn't own a pair until I went away to college and could buy them myself.

I remember one summer just after college getting ready to go to Saturday night dinner at Harrah's Tahoe and coming out rebelliously with my jeans, an oxford shirt and courduroy jacket. Mom exclaimed, "You're not going to dinner in THOSE, are you?"

Well, I did - but it was the last time. Future wearing of jeans was for camping, fishing or other outdoor activities only. It must be 20 years now since I have purchased a new pair.

So, in the scenario of this thread (he-he), if I see someone wearing jeans on smart casual night in the ship's dining room, my rebel nature says it's none of my business. But my traditionalist eyes see something inappropriate and disrespectful and I flinch just a little.

But my knee-jerk reaction doesn't last but a few seconds as I realize we all have different backgrounds, have travelled different paths, have different values and that, in the end, Polonius' admonition to Laertes is debatable.

Thanks for all the great responses! I did not expect to get so many replies. From the posts, it seems like the vote is 50 50. I have to say that I do own some very nice "jeans" that I would never use on the farm, go to the gym, or just hang around the house in them as some have mentioned. I personally will probably not wear them in the DR but my husband loves to wear a nice jacket with a pair of "nice" jeans and I think he looks great. Hopefully we do not offend anyone.:)

Thanks for all the great responses! I did not expect to get so many replies. From the posts, it seems like the vote is 50 50. I have to say that I do own some very nice "jeans" that I would never use on the farm, go to the gym, or just hang around the house in them as some have mentioned. I personally will probably not wear them in the DR but my husband loves to wear a nice jacket with a pair of "nice" jeans and I think he looks great. Hopefully we do not offend anyone.:)

I think you'll look great as you both seem to CARE about how you look! And trust me when I say MANY do not.:p As long as you know you look good and feel good, go for it. If someone is THAT upset about how you are dressed just slip your bill under their door & tell them you will be more than happy to dress as they like when they pay your bills!:D Clearly you are not asking about formal nights or other special occasions so I see no problem with wearing NICE jeans on smart casual...especially considering most nice jeans these days cast more than most entire outfits of those criticizing you!:eek:

About the junk in the trunk, the thunder thighs, the love handles...they are visible in many outfits but not all "conditions" are accurate. The one thing to keep in mind is that no matter what others think it is a well known fact that Doctor's scales lie. The counter is that we have no perspective when looking in the mirror to offset the lying scales. Because of these truths I demand that as I meet you, no matter what I am wearing, each of you adjust for my eyesight by approving if I was correct or squinting to see what I saw, no matter what I am wearing.

I personally will probably not wear them in the DR but my husband loves to wear a nice jacket with a pair of "nice" jeans and I think he looks great. Hopefully we do not offend anyone.:)

Your husband will look fine. Wearing a jacket with his jeans will elevate his dress to a level far above what I saw most men wearing in the dining room on our last cruise, and it was a 10-day itinerary to the Panama Canal which I had read tends to be 'dressier'. Have a great cruise.

Robin

I think you'll look great as you both seem to CARE about how you look! And trust me when I say MANY do not.:p As long as you know you look good and feel good, go for it. If someone is THAT upset about how you are dressed just slip your bill under their door & tell them you will be more than happy to dress as they like when they pay your bills!:D

With my luck the way they would want me to dress is in a maids uniform :eek: :D

Archived