Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

HEY!!!!! East Coast can't claim it excusively...it is also a West Coast thing! Some jeans cost more than an entire wardrobe and that is the only complaint I have. lol

Ok, so it's coast to coast...even better. :D

To me, it's not the cost of the jeans whatsoever, it's how they look, how you carry yourself and what you accessorize your jeans with that makes all the difference in the world. In the fall, give me a gorgeous tweed jacket, (well, plaid's really huge for this Fall, so plaid) a cashmere sweater, dark jeans, leather boots and a fabulous handbag and I'm good to go!

I honestly don't know if the term "Smart Casual" for a cruise ship, includes great looking jeans, but for an expensive Baltimore, DC, Philly or NYC restaurant, minus Le Bec Fin, Per Se or Le Bernardin and a few others, it sure does. I'm not fond of these so-called clothing categorizations.

We recently had dinner at Gramercy Tavern. It was a very warm evening and many men wore dress shirts with sleeves rolled or buttoned down and dark jeans. Many women wore jeans paired with "all the right stuff" also. There wasn't an empty table in the house. ;)

We don't cruise nearly as much as 99% of CC members and so far have only done the Caribbean, so we've never packed jeans. That's not saying we never will. ;)

:D My sentiments, exactly!!!:D

USHA

Your sentiments exactly that wearing jeans as smart casual is a "lack of class"

Just wondering what you would consider classier sitting at a table with someone wearing jeans or next to a gentleman who is having a "smoke":) :) :) :)

Ok, so it's coast to coast...even better. :D

To me, it's not the cost of the jeans whatsoever, it's how they look, how you carry yourself and what you accessorize your jeans with that makes all the difference in the world. In the fall, give me a gorgeous tweed jacket, (well, plaid's really huge for this Fall, so plaid) a cashmere sweater, dark jeans, leather boots and a fabulous handbag and I'm good to go!

I honestly don't know if the term "Smart Casual" for a cruise ship, includes great looking jeans, but for an expensive Baltimore, DC, Philly or NYC restaurant, minus Le Bec Fin, Per Se or Le Bernardin and a few others, it sure does. I'm not fond of these so-called clothing categorizations.

We recently had dinner at Gramercy Tavern. It was a very warm evening and many men wore dress shirts with sleeves rolled or buttoned down and dark jeans. Many women wore jeans paired with "all the right stuff" also. There wasn't an empty table in the house. ;)

We don't cruise nearly as much as 99% of CC members and so far have only done the Caribbean, so we've never packed jeans. That's not saying we never will. ;)

The supporting wear around jeans is the key and that is the case on the west coast as well. We only cruise tropical areas so norm to me is "tropical casual" norm. If I had my way I'd live in Jamaica shorts (above or below the knee or anything linen on tropical cruises - which btw is seen in every ship dining room I have seen except on formal nights. It will be interesting to see if HAL is different.

The supporting wear around jeans is the key and that is the case on the west coast as well. We only cruise tropical areas so norm to me is "tropical casual" norm. If I had my way I'd live in Jamaica shorts (above or below the knee or anything linen on tropical cruises - which btw is seen in every ship dining room I have seen except on formal nights. It will be interesting to see if HAL is different.

I haven't sailed HAL either, but I read this board a lot and my in-laws sail HAL exclusively, so I have a little knowledge about HAL's onboard life. Also, from the pics that have been viewed here, you certainly get a definite feel of the HAL pax's wardrobes. Check out Rev Neal's fantastic photos, if you're interested.

Oh, linen....I could live in linen and wear it all summer long and always on tropical cruises. ;)

This thread has reached the point of utter ridiculousness.

Jeans aren't my "thing," but I know they're the "thing" for a lot of other people and I've seen many people dressed in them who manage to generate a "put-together" look and not a "sloppy/slobby" look. The Dress Code no longer "forbids" them for Smart Casual Night, so (by omission) they are acceptable. My Formal loving compatriots should just "get over" that bit. As Copper says, common sense should dictate on such matters. "Don't wear a T-shirt or a set of wife beaters with them (common sense)." Sadly "sense" is rarely "common" either direction.

Oh, and by the way ... the fellow pictured in the jeans, shirt, tie, and jacket looked fabulous. It was a "put together" look that was both casual and also "dressy." Jeans aren't "my thing," but if I make it to the point in my diet and exercise regimen where I could wear them comfortably and look good doing so, I wouldn't might dressing like that on a Smart Casual Night. If only jeans weren't so dang massy (they weight twice what a pair of dress slacks weigh).

Oh ... and ... what the "snob" references. They violate TOS.

Peter-Belisi-jeans.jpg

Regards, Richard

Very sporty, suitable for Fall homecoming or tailgate party at the big game (although I would ditch the pocket square). But, this will not be the "jeans" look one encounters on elegant casual night onboard. No jacket, no tie, and more likely a knit or t-shirt.

I love my jeans and practically live in them at home. But I have never brought them with me on a cruise for the sole reason they are just too darn hot. (all our cruises to date have been Caribbean or Mexican Riviera)

During teh day I am in shorts or a bathing suit. Evenings I wear light weight "Docker" like pants or my suit pants.

Perhaps if I ever do an Alaskan or NE/Canada cruise I would bring some for excursions , but certainly not for the tropics . Thats just MHO

I thought it was going quite well, RevNeal. No flames, etc. :confused:

It doesn't take flames for a thread to have gone off the deep end of ridiculous. The extent to which some of my fellow "Formal Nighters" object to jeans on Smart Casual Night is an example. That's why I said what I said.

However ... I do have a problem with the use of the term "snob."

Very sporty, suitable for Fall homecoming or tailgate party at the big game (although I would ditch the pocket square). But, this will not be the "jeans" look one encounters on elegant casual night onboard. No jacket, no tie, and more likely a knit or t-shirt.

Actually, one does see variations of this kind of thing aboard ship, too. Brian, on Smart Casual Night, is an example (sans tie). I've seen lots of guys on Smart Casual Nights wearing a jacket with their jeans. The tie is a bit more than what one would see paired with the jeans and jacket, but I have seen that too aboard ship.

I haven't sailed HAL either, but I read this board a lot and my in-laws sail HAL exclusively, so I have a little knowledge about HAL's onboard life. Also, from the pics that have been viewed here, you certainly get a definite feel of the HAL pax's wardrobes. Check out Rev Neal's fantastic photos, if you're interested.

Oh, linen....I could live in linen and wear it all summer long and always on tropical cruises. ;)

That is a good reference actually. Most pictures I have seen are from the formal nights. I do have one question as well: Has anyone noticed a difference in late and early seating as cruises I have been on seemed a little "looser" earlier than the late seatings to me. Rev Neal's thread got so big it took time to load. That shows just how good it was. ;)

Yep something about linen that makes it perfect for the tropical zones.

It doesn't take flames or a thread to have gone off the deep end of ridiculous. The extent to which some of my fellow "Formal Nighters" object to jeans on Smart Casual Night is an example. That's why I said what I said.

However ... I do have a problem with the use of the term "snob."

Well, this "snob thing" always irritates me. It's even gotten to the point that pax who cruise exclusively in balcony cabins are called "balcony snobs"! What's with that?

I'd like to apologize for my personal fashion posts. I frequent the "Fashion Board" and tend to get carried away occasionally.

Well, this "snob thing" always irritates me. It's even gotten to the point that pax who cruise exclusively in balcony cabins are called "balcony snobs"! What's with that?

I'd like to apologize for my personal fashion posts. I frequent the "Fashion Board" and tend to get carried away occasionally.

I understand. When we get close to a subject it's often difficult to separate ourselves from that subject. That happens here all the time. :)

I just try to avoid the epithet in all circumstances and references ... particularly if it has even a remote chance of being "true." It never helps to call someone a name, like that. I write as one who has done so, seen the error of his ways, and has tried to repent (not about the "snob" epithet, but about other occasionally derogatory references).

When one peruses their glossy cruise brochures. Do they ever show people aboard in jeans or sitting in the dining room in jeans? I've never seen any pics like this. They probably put the guy in the tux,or the woman in the gown,because it looks "Appealing", "Enticing" and a whole 'Different" experience. If the brochures showed everybody in jeans would it look appealing or different from everyday schlepper life. Probably not.

Actually, one does see variations of this kind of thing aboard ship, too. Brian, on Smart Casual Night, is an example (sans tie).

Brian is the epitome of smart casual in pressed jeans and leather blazer. He looks significantly more pulled together and polished than most of his fellow passengers.

When one peruses their gloosy cruise brochures. Do they ever show people aboard in jeans or sitting in the dining room in jeans? I've never seen any pics like this. They probably put the guy in the tux,or the woman in the gown,because it looks "Appealing", "Enticing" and a whole 'Different" experience. If the brochures showed everybody in jeans would it look appealing or different from everyday schlepper life. Probably not.

The glossy brochures are just that, glossy brochures that show photos of all the "beautiful people" among us. If they did show any pics of people in jeans, they'd still be the "beautiful" people, looking better in jeans than the vast majority of us who receive the brochures. I've never received a brochure for any venue, cruiseline, resort or hotel, that didn't advertise with the beautiful people. After all, isn't that what models do? ;)

When one peruses their glossy cruise brochures. Do they ever show people aboard in jeans or sitting in the dining room in jeans? I've never seen any pics like this. They probably put the guy in the tux,or the woman in the gown,because it looks "Appealing", "Enticing" and a whole 'Different" experience. If the brochures showed everybody in jeans would it look appealing or different from everyday schlepper life. Probably not.

Attire aside, brochures show fit, trim and attractive passengers. Does this mean those who are overweight, out of shape, sagging here and there, less than model attractive, in need of assistance or loosing their hair, somehow detract from the onboard ambiance?

Attire aside, brochures show fit, trim and attractive passengers. Does this mean those who are overweight, out of shape, sagging here and there, less than model attractive, in need of assistance or loosing their hair, somehow detract from the onboard ambiance?

It's not "Attire Aside" that's what the topic is "Wearing Jeans"

as for "overweight" "Sagging Here And There" you've described me to a "T"

Regarding HAL's main dining room being the equivalent of the Outback Steakhouse ... perhaps some visual aid will be helpful here?

Here's some wonderful people having a nice time at the outback steakhouse:

outback01.JPG

And:

outback02.JPG

What follows are two shots of a dining group and dining table in the Main Dining room aboard a HAL ship:

tablegroup1.jpg

And:

vistadining1c.jpg

Now ... compare the dining room of the first two pictures with the dining room of the second two pictures:

Outback: Bare table top, thick ceramic plates, simple minimal utensils (fat knife, 2 forks) provided in a rolled up napkin. Liquid containers are thick glass or plastic cups and mugs. Menus stay on the table, as do the condiments. Seating is in the form of bare wood or benches / booths. Lighting is dim, decor is Australian theme with boomerangs and other nick-nacks, posters, etc. on the walls. Floors are bare wood. There's usually a TV nearby, and a noisy bar with a smoking area is in the middle of the restaurant. I like the Outback. Their food is good and I enjoy the environment for a relaxed casual evening.

Main Dining Room aboard any Dam Ship: Formal table cloth, Rosenthal China, full lay-out of real silverware (left/right/top). Stemware used for containing most liquids (other than coffee and hot tea and the occasional drink, iced tea, or softdrink) All common condiment dishes (butter, cream and sugar) are silverware. The tables have a centerpiece of flowers and, often, a candle. Menus do not stay on table. Seating is in the form of padded dining room chairs or, in some configurations, padded benches mounted on walls (with chairs opposite). Lighting is variable, but often bright, decor is upscale elegant with rich tapestries, wall paper, and paintings on the walls, large panoramic outdoor views, carpeting, silver and brass light fixtures. Floors are carpeted. No TVs nearby and no noisy bar are smoking area.

In short ... no ... the Main Dining Room of a Dam Ship is not like an Outback Steakhouse.

First of all the OP asked about smart casual, formal wasn't in the question asked.

Without beating a dead horse - someone responded with a picture of someone in jeans that (as far as I can tell) met the definition of formal attire. I was making the point that people should use intellegence, consideration and common sense and not rely on adherence to definitions.

Not all cruisers are snobs. If people are so concerned about someone not dressing up to their standards maybe they should book with a high end cruise line,which Hal is not. While I hardly would compare the dining to Outback(ish!),it is not 4 or 5 star dining either.

How do you define a high end cruise line? One that sets standards for decorum and expect people to adhere to them? How does one become a high end cruise line if people pick and choose what standards they want to follow>

Rev if this is formal night it is great as everyone looks comfortable and lovely. Do you have any pictures of the other nights you can share? But just don't tell me this is casual night and that is how everyone dresses until formal night where they then "REALLY" dress up or my husband will kill me!!!! lol

Nice pictures!

Archived