How Do You Do It?

Ski-Lady

I'm considering a solo cruise but something just occurred to me. I have a couple of beautiful dresses that zip up the back and are impossible to get zipped by myself. One in particular is hard even with help.

Does anyone have experience /ideas with what to do in this instance? I've always had someone to help me when I've worn the dresses i.e. mom, brother, friend. I suppose I could stand in my doorway with my backside hanging out, waiting for someone to take pity on me, but not really my style.;)

I would really like to get some more use from them but it may be more bother than worth. One more thing to adjust to being single.:p

I'm considering a solo cruise but something just occurred to me. I have a couple of beautiful dresses that zip up the back and are impossible to get zipped by myself. One in particular is hard even with help.

Does anyone have experience /ideas with what to do in this instance? I've always had someone to help me when I've worn the dresses i.e. mom, brother, friend. I suppose I could stand in my doorway with my backside hanging out, waiting for someone to take pity on me, but not really my style.;)

I would really like to get some more use from them but it may be more bother than worth. One more thing to adjust to being single.:p

Hi:) I only sail solo but I have not experienced this problem.

I always dress up on formal nights~I guess every dress I have

worn had a zipper I could reach on my own...or it was a dress

without a zipper or its a long skirt with a pretty top.

Not sure if you were specifically talking about formal night?

After 5 years of sailing solo I have a wardrobe I can handle

on my own, whatever night I am dressing for;)

Maybe one of the gals on here can give you better advice.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise though:D

Hi:) I only sail solo but I have not experienced this problem.

I always dress up on formal nights~I guess every dress I have

worn had a zipper I could reach on my own...or it was a dress

without a zipper or its a long skirt with a pretty top.

Not sure if you were specifically talking about formal night?

After 5 years of sailing solo I have a wardrobe I can handle

on my own, whatever night I am dressing for;)

Maybe one of the gals on here can give you better advice.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise though:D

Hi Lois,

I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a very confident solo cruiser. My mom is recently single, and finally ready to have fun and meet some new friends. I cruise with her usually twice a year, I would like her to branch out a liitle and meet new people. Any ideas? Can you request a table of singles? I am afraid we would end up with a lot of young adults. I would like her to meet some people with common interests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can get the zipper to at least a place where the dress won't fall off, the first woman (or man) you see will be glad to help--folks just LOVE to be asked for help! It's true--it makes people feel good to help others!

Of course, the "zipper-pull" thing is a great idea!

did get the steward to hook a necklace for me..n2 the tip drawer..he is the best one I've had in ages, and it was a B2B..I did have some shoulder issues with "adhesive capsulitis" in 2005 for 18 months..and reach was nil..I got a pair of carwash pants that had a bk zip, so i just turned them around, as they are roomy..arm is fine now, but still wear them that way..as it is a hidden zip..I know a dress is different, but You might scout out your neighboring cabin ppl, and see if there is a lady in it..I'm sure they would be glad to help..if you co-ordinate the time

Hi Lois,

I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a very confident solo cruiser. My mom is recently single, and finally ready to have fun and meet some new friends. I cruise with her usually twice a year, I would like her to branch out a liitle and meet new people. Any ideas? Can you request a table of singles? I am afraid we would end up with a lot of young adults. I would like her to meet some people with common interests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, thanks for the compliment:)

Do you usually book through a TA? If so, I would talk to them

and they can put the table request into the cruiseline.

Personally, I always request a large table but I don't care if

its couples, singles, etc. As long as the folks are nice:D I can

usually get along with most anyone.

But yes, you can put in most any type of request

(within reason).

I would say most lines try to help out as much as possible.

If you book directly with the cruiseline, call them and put

that large table request in with their customer service.

Oh, if by chance ya'll don't get along with your tablemates,

(for whatever reason) go see the Maitr'd immediately after

that first dinner and they are always making changes.

(especially after the first evening).

To the OP -- take along a wire coat hanger. Loop the "loop" part (the part that you hang over the closet rack) into the hole in the zipper pull tab. Pull up. Remove hanger from your person before going out in public. Of course, this doesn't work with the "invisible" zippers that don't have a hole in the pull tab.

Thanks, I'll make sure we are seated at a large table and encourage her to participate in social activities while on board.

Is that cruise in your signature? On HAL?

I am sure they have some fun activities...does she drink

wine? Most lines have wine tastings...and that is really fun:D

I have been to many of them, as well as wine blendings and

wine pairings too. (See a pattern?;) )

They always have trivia as well which can be fun.

Have you done a search for zipper pulls, etc.?

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Wire-Button-Zipper/dp/B000HF5LRA . Perhaps there's a similar product that can help...

To the OP -- take along a wire coat hanger. Loop the "loop" part (the part that you hang over the closet rack) into the hole in the zipper pull tab. Pull up. Remove hanger from your person before going out in public. Of course, this doesn't work with the "invisible" zippers that don't have a hole in the pull tab.

Well, wouldn't you know it, both dresses have those "invisible" zipper. I guess I will count on the kindness of strangers or hope for a female cabin steward.

I relish my independence but there are somethings I just have to have some help with.

Cruisefan42, Lois is right, get a big table and encourage your mom to take part in activities. Try to get her to do some on her own and don't be afraid to talk to people.

After 25 years of being single my SIL, who only does things with her sister and 5 nieces and nephews or with her parents, can't seem to figure out why one wants to date her.:confused: I'll do almost anything on my own and will talk to anyone. What the worst that can happen, they don't like me. Not everyone has to like me and I don't have to like everyone else. But I'll never know unless talk to people. The man I'm seeing now I met in a restaurant in Cabo San Lucas. I dated a guy I met on a plane from Tucson. Yes, he was from Tucson. It didn't work out but we are still friends

I think that there are groups that do single cruises and some that are for over 40. Tell her to get out there!:D

I make a pretty beaded zipper pull. They are very convienient for those times when no one's there to help. They have a little hook on one end, are about 3 ft long, so you hook the zipper pull up the puller over your shoulder, and zip up. Then when you relax the zip pull, it falls out of the zipper tab. Simple, and even possible in reverse... sometimes getting undone, is harder than a zip up.

Just my 2 cents worth...lol I will post a picture when I can, they are on thin jewelry wire, hefty enough, but pretty. I can supply one to anyone who wants one, for 10 bucks or so...

B

You could . . . attend Catholic high school with a uniform that zips up the back. You become very flexible and capable with your own zippers after 4 years! Maybe the nuns had some good ideas after all! ;)

sc_girl.jpg

OK sorry, that isn't helpful- I think you should get the zipper pull. Happy crusing!

The zipper pull ideas are great, but, as you said, your dresses have the zippers without a hole in the pull. So it seems the alternatives are either to change your wardrobe ideas or to enlist help. I'm sure a crew member can help; if you're steward is a man, I'm sure he can ask one of the lady crew members to help you (I understand that the crew members regularly help one another). With the number of solo female cruisers, I would imagine that this would be seen by the crew as a reasonalble and frequent request.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time on your cruise.:)

I wanted to see if someone would suggest this before I posted. That's how I do it when hubby's not around and I want to try on my dresses:)

I wanted to see if someone would suggest this before I posted. That's how I do it when hubby's not around and I want to try on my dresses:)

You can make a zipper pull with a safety pin and shoe string! :eek: To add a personal note, I have reached the point in life where if clothing is difficult to zip, even with help - out it goes, baby! :)

Take a long shoestring with you. Before putting the dress on, make a slipknot loop in one end, and put the zipper pull through it. cinch it tight.

Put the dress on, and toss the end of the shoestring up over your shoulder. Hold the back/bottom of the dress below the zipper with one hand, pull the shoestring with the other. When it gets to the top, slip the pull free.

If the zipper pull won't stay in the loop, use a bit of tape to hold it.

This is a great way to get things zipped up when I'm by myself but I did have to laugh at removing the hanger before going out in public. My luck I'd forget!:D Thanks for the tip.

Archived