Handicap Room Vs Regular Room

ksuds

RCCL just changed our room from a regular window cabin to a handicap room with a window. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I presume the handicap is bigger, but the RCCL website doesn't say.

RCCL just changed our room from a regular window cabin to a handicap room with a window. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I presume the handicap is bigger, but the RCCL website doesn't say.

I haven't had one myself, but from other threads on this board the handicap room is significantly larger, including the bathroom. Most people who have stayed in them have reported that they were very happy with the room; most consisdered it to be an upgrade.

I took a peek in a handicap cabin when the door was open for cleaning (debarkation day) and the room was large with a very large bathroom. It appeared to be the standard OV cabin. I wouldn't mind having that cabin!

Karen

Surely it's pretty obvious it'll be bigger,hand rails around the toilet,roll-in shower etc,it is set up for someone in a wheelchair.

I don't think you should crow about it too much,able bodied cruisers staying in handicap cabins is a pretty sore point on the disabled passengers board.

My wife is a wheelchair user and NEEDS a handicap cabin to be able to cruise.

And we've all heard 'RCCL changed the cabin,I new nothing about it' Chestnut many times.

I don't think you should crow about it too much,able bodied cruisers staying in handicap cabins is a pretty sore point on the disabled passengers board.

The OP wasn't "crowing" at all. The OP was simply asking what the stateroom was like. Royal Caribbean holds these staterooms for disabled passengers up until a certain point, but eventually has to release them so they can maximize the chance of filling all staterooms.

The OP wasn't "crowing" at all. The OP was simply asking what the stateroom was like. Royal Caribbean holds these staterooms for disabled passengers up until a certain point, but eventually has to release them so they can maximize the chance of filling all staterooms.

Sounds to me if you read the OP's orinal post they already had a cabin booked until it was 'changed'

As you said you consider it an 'Upgrade'

Sounds to me if you read the OP's orinal post they already had a cabin booked until it was 'changed'

As you said you consider it an 'Upgrade'

RCCL changed it not the OP, get over it, and before you get all riled up I am handicapped.

RCCL changed it not the OP, get over it, and before you get all riled up I am handicapped.

Then I'm sure you will appreciate why it is such a emotive subject.

Some people abuse these bigger cabins as everybody knows.Just read this whole thread

Then I'm sure you will appreciate why it is such a emotive subject.

Some people abuse these bigger cabins as everybody knows.Just read this whole thread

I did read the whole thread and the OP was changed by RCCL not by their own doing because at whatever cut off point the cruiseline determines this cabin was NOT booked so it is used. No one on this thread especially the OP said they asked to be moved or otherwise abuse the system.

To the OP...did RCCL say why they were changing the room? Did you originally book a guarantee, and then were assigned a stateroom, and now being assigned a different stateroom?

BTW - We have also stayed in one on Celebrity. The room was released 2 weeks out of our cruise, and we switched at the advice from our TA. The room was wonderful, but I would have gladly given it up if a HC person needed it. ;)

PS - I have also been given HC hotel rooms, when I didn't ask for them. Hotels will fill the very last room, just like the cruiselines.

If the handicapped cabins haven't been booked by a specific date, RCI will release them to the general public. They aren't going to let ANY cabin go unrented, if they don't have to--even if they put an "able-bodied" person there!

If you need a handicapped cabin, you can get them, IF AVAILABLE--just like everyone else! There have been times when I wanted a JS, and NONE were available--so I changed the date of the cruise to get what I want. That's how it works!

I am the person with the question. RCCL changed us due to our diamond plus status.....they are considering it an upgrade. We are sailing on the back to back and originally booked the same room for both trips. It is actually more inconvenient to get this upgrade because we will now have to pack up and change rooms after the first part. Trust me, I would not want someone who actually needs the room to be deprived because of me. I am not the bad one:)

I would be upset if I had a B2B with the same cabin booked and they moved me for only 1 segment. I HATE packing!

Just FYI - My mom is in a wheelchair and has sailed several times on RC ships in HC cabins. Some of them do not have good drainage in the bathroom and water from the shower can build up enough to overflow into the cabin. Had that problem on Explorer and Sovereign. I don't know what ship you are sailing on so it may not be a problem. Also even if the floor drain does work okay, don't leave anything on the floor in the bathroom because it could get soaked it the ship starts rocking.

I am the person with the question. RCCL changed us due to our diamond plus status.....they are considering it an upgrade. We are sailing on the back to back and originally booked the same room for both trips. It is actually more inconvenient to get this upgrade because we will now have to pack up and change rooms after the first part. Trust me, I would not want someone who actually needs the room to be deprived because of me. I am not the bad one:)

Have you asked for your original cabin back? I would not be happy with an "upgrade" like this either seeing as you specifically booked the same cabin B2B. Throw some of that diamond weight around and see if you can get the original back.;)

We DW, DD and myself had a balcony cabin booked on Navigator. About 3 weeks before sailing, my nephew asked if he could join us, I then needed to book a Balcony for 2 and an interior for 2. Called RCI and all they had available, where the interior was close enough for their children in seperate cabin requirement, was a disabled balcony and a promenade. I did question being put in a wheelchair cabin, but they said as it was so close to sailing it was ok. The cabin was basicallt 1 1/2 normal size, they put 2 wheelchair cabins in the space o3 3 regular cabins. Lots of room around the bed and a clear area near the door. Very nice, but I did feel guilty maybe having deprived a wheelchair user from making a late bookin:(

I understand that there has been nothing underhanded or selfish going on in this case or a couple of other cases posted here.

It is industry practice to try and fill all cabins disabled or not.I did not intend to come across as flaming the OP.

But I do hope that a practice that does sometimes go on has been highlighted.

I've been told by T/A's in the past "all accessable cabins taken on that sailing".If I knew for sure that every one of those cabins was taken by a disabled guest then I'll just quietly find another cruise.

Regards Doc07

Hi Karen & Michelle, what ship B2B are you sailing...

Have you booked Oasis yet, if you are thinking about it we are on Oct 9, 2010, we could meet for a drink in the Diamond Lounge:p ...

As for the handicapped cabin...It is wider and the bathroom is larger...

You do know that the cabin steward will help you move...You do not have to pack up your clothes that are hanging in the closet he will do it for you...Just make sure that you introduce yourself to the new steward so when he is done making up the cabin he will call the old steward to let him know he can move the stuff...Usually the transfer is done by 10-10:30 AM...Have a great cruise...Later, Jill & Dave:cool:

We are sailing the Enchantment..............one of our favorites. Lands up being a 9 night which is perfect. This will be our second B2B on this ship. Nothing better than sleeping in when everyone else is going home.

I've been told by T/A's in the past "all accessable cabins taken on that sailing".If I knew for sure that every one of those cabins was taken by a disabled guest then I'll just quietly find another cruise.

Regards Doc07

Why do you assume that the cabins are NOT taken by disabled guests? I don't know what type of "proof" RC requests for booking these cabins, but since they do hold them until fairly close to the cruise, I doubt they are allowing someone without that "proof" to book them unless it is past the release date. I think that this is like trying to book a "family" cabin - there are only a few of them, so they do book up quite far in advance, an encountering a sold out situation isn't unusual at all.

Why do you assume that the cabins are NOT taken by disabled guests? I don't know what type of "proof" RC requests for booking these cabins' date=' but since they do hold them until fairly close to the cruise, I doubt they are allowing someone without that "proof" to book them unless it is past the release date. I think that this is like trying to book a "family" cabin - there are only a few of them, so they do book up quite far in advance, an encountering a sold out situation isn't unusual at all.[/quote']

Have you ever tried to book a disabled cabin?

If you had then you will know that RCCL doesn't ask for 'proof' of a disabillity-I don't think they are allowed to,there lies one of the problems.It works on a 'trust' system that the vast majority of cruisers abide by. But if you care to read the disabled cruisers board then you would know that a small number of people abuse this 'trust' system.A bit like blue parking badges-similar thing.

To simply answer your question. The major differences are:

- Cabin will be larger

- Doors will be wider

- Door will most likely have an automatic opener. The downside of this is if

they break, you have to force it open/closed. Also, you lose a little privacy

because it takes time for it to close

- Larger bathroom with:

- large roll-in shower with seat. Shower may flood

- Roll under sink. You may lose some storage space

- Higher toilet

- Bars in bathroom

If you had then you will know that RCCL doesn't ask for 'proof' of a disabillity-I don't think they are allowed to,there lies one of the problems.It works on a 'trust' system that the vast majority of cruisers abide by. But if you care to read the disabled cruisers board then you would know that a small number of people abuse this 'trust' system.A bit like blue parking badges-similar thing.

I'm surprised to hear they don't ask for proof, and if that allows people to abuse the system, that stinks. However, I'm still curious how the folks on the disabled cruisers board know for sure that the system in being abused. Do you meet people who boast about booking an accessible cabin they don't need? Have you staked out accessible cabins and waited to see if a person in a wheelchair comes out? If someone not in a wheelchair comes out do you confront them? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just baffled that there isn't a system in place to make sure they cabins only go to folks who need them.

I'm surprised to hear they don't ask for proof' date=' and if that allows people to abuse the system, that stinks. However, I'm still curious how the folks on the disabled cruisers board know for sure that the system in being abused. Do you meet people who boast about booking an accessible cabin they don't need? Have you staked out accessible cabins and waited to see if a person in a wheelchair comes out? If someone not in a wheelchair comes out do you confront them? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just baffled that there isn't a system in place to make sure they cabins only go to folks who need them.[/quote']

I can see you are not trying to be rude and I can understand how most people find it incredulous that this can go on.

Perhaps if you read this thread you'll get an Understanding of this.(It's a long one so perhaps just some exerpts).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311686

I have sailed many times with a HC cabin, with different cruise lines. They all ask for proof, usually a photo copy of the automobile mirror hanger tag, at the time of final payment.

Al :D

I have sailed many times with a HC cabin, with different cruise lines. They all ask for proof, usually a photo copy of the automobile mirror hanger tag, at the time of final payment.

Al :D

Wrong..

Perhaps in the USA,but not here in UK, the last 4 cruises I've booked a handicappd cabin no proof of any disabillity has been requested.

I was asked once verbally if my wife had a blue parking badge.(probally UK equivalent of the tag you refer to.

Archived