Anyone having issues with garment bags as carry on lately?

Cruisin' Ron VA

I don't mean this sarcastically at all. I'd genuinely like to know where you get a garment bag that is small enough to be a carryon. The one we have isn't even borderline, and I'd sure like one that would work as carry on. Where did you get yours and what's it like?

Most department stores, luggage stores or even big box stores carry garment bags.

I just put it in the over head or the FA will put it in the closet or something if needed.

I certainly don't fill it to the brim with everything I own either.

I fly often but not always with a garment bag.

The last time with one of those was in Feb.

Just wondering if anything has changed.

So anyone have experience lately?

Mr. Rugrats just flew with a Tumi Garment bag as his carry-on and had absolutely no problem.

Thanks just wanted to make sure everything was still groovy in that department.

:)

I can imagine that some people would stuff everything they own in the garment bags and that would be just cause to have it checked. Keep it simple and it usually works.

Thanks again.

Since most garment bags are "flexible", they should be allowed as carry ons. A couple of years ago, I was challenged at Frankfurt, Germany's airport because I wanted to carry my garment bag on. Security pointed me at the wire rack that they use to determine if a bag can be carried on. I went over and pushed until the entire bag fit in the rack. The entire line behind me applauded and I smiled a huge smile as I proudly carried my garment bag through security. (the guards had a hard time not laughing) Of course, this was a couple of years ago and things have definitely changed since then.

Great question! I was wondering the same thing. DH wants to pack his suit in his garmet bag and carry it on, but didn't want to worry if he would have to pay to check it. It would be his second bag.... thanks!

Exactly why I wanted to know!

One checked bag one garment bag carry on.

Exactly why I wanted to know!

One checked bag one garment bag carry on.

Just about every airline that I am aware of notes the measurement of a bag that you can take on the plane on their respective web site. If your garment bag fits those dimensions you can take it on the plane. If not, you can't. Simple as that.

Keith

First, domestic or international? Second, if domestic which airline? We just flew DCA to RNO, domestic, on American and with the charges for the first checked bag now, many people on full flights tried bringing everything as carry on. This made boarding and de-planing take forever and the overhead bins were jam packed. If you can find room, expect it to get squished!

Just flew AA domestically. All carryons seemed to be the same as usual including garment bags. I did not even see the usual wire thing to check the size.

Good Luck.

Thanks I have been fine in the past. I just wanted to hear if anyone had any issues recently.

Thanks for your reply. :)

On our last flight they were checking sizes and gate checked a dozen bags or more. Almost expected to see a kitchen sink people were trying to bring on so much stuff! Of course between the group heading here for a bachelor party and those heading here for BurningMan this week, it was a very loud flight too......

I've never tried carrying on a garment bag but the last time I flew with my boss, he had trouble with his. It was a small plane (3 seats total across) so the overhead bins were smaller. His bag fits in a regular size plane but despite his best efforts, there was no way his garment bag was going to fit anywhere but underneath the plane. This happened a year ago when they weren't checking bag sizes at the gate.

I think you are thinking of a garment bag suitcase, which is what I use.

You are right, no way that is fitting in the overhead or under the seat.

I think what they are talking about is more like a soft sided garment

cover which zips closed. It is not something that you would check, because

it would never make it thru the flight unscathed.

See:

http://www.garmentbags.com/Super-Search-All-Garment-Bags-C55470.html?all=1

My husband flies twice a week and takes one as his hand baggage on every trip (as we also do on cruises.) I was just asking him about this the other day, and he said the FA's have usually been happy to see it and often offer to hang it to preserve overhead bin space for rollaboards.

We travel exclusively on AA and mostly up front, if either matters. And our bag is a Kipling foldover with outside pockets -- but they are usually empty and we just use the hanging space.

Archived