Must Haves For Family Cruise?

jmrothermel

Ok, since Im Obsessive Compuslive about everything being set to go before a trip, Ive started my list of what we must take with. Since Im a cruiser newbie :p I dont know what some of you more experienced people think is a must have for cruising with a family. It will be me, my husband, our 4 children aged 7, 6, 4, and 16 months. It will also be my inlaws as well (hey built in babysitting! hehe)

So any suggestions of things I shouldnt forget are GREATLY appreciated!

I am a cruise newbie too, but have spent time creating a list, I also have two small kids (3 & 6), so while you may need to add diapers, bottles, plastic containers ett and food stuffs for your little one, here is what I have so far...

small flashlight/nightlight, portable clock (battery power) for alarm, chargers for camera (extra batteries/card), video camera & cell phone

collapsible laundry basket for dirty clothes/laundry bag.

Glade flameless candle for cabin.

hair conditioner and shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, and all personal things needed in the bathroom.

folder or envelope for all the documents and paperwork (airline tickets, cruise tickets, shore excursion reservations, hotel reservations, etc...)

Notebook or journal to write in.

baggies

Wrist bands for seasickness and bronine/Dramamine/Gravol/Ginger – check with doctor for kids

Port maps/info

Glow sticks & mini bubbles

Suitcase locks, Safety pins, dental floss, heavy duty elastic bands

Water wings and flotation device for pool, buckets and shovels

Kids medicine (colds and Tylenol) thermometer, banddaids, aftersun, bite cream etc

Pop and water and single juice powders & 2 bottles wine

Mesh Beach Bag - just to bring your book, towel, cup, suntan lotion, camera - by the pool or at port.

an over the door hook/organizer - for wet swimsuits or robes –

also, a collapsible small ice chest and the cabin steward keeps ice in there for drinks

A bungee cord to keep the balcony door open and a small round fridge magnet to deactivate the door alarm for the balcony

post it notes, highlighter, pack of 10 wire hangers

downey wrinkle release

thank you cards for staff (with extra tips)

binoculars

extension cord/power adapter – portable DVD and 2 sets earphones, movies and CD’s

dont mind the different colours...I have an ongoing list and colour coordinated for what I already have - LOL

More than enough diapers & wipes as the shop will have very limited amounts/selection - if any.

A blow up bathtub if your kids prefer baths (also good to use as a splash for non-potty trained kids unless you'll be on one of the few ships with toddler/baby water play areas).

A step stool for reaching the sink/potty in the cabin.

Little toys/crayons/doodlepros, etc. to keep kids amused in the dining room.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

A nice smelling baggy (from ToyRUs) for storing used diapers.

Any special snacks they like – just in case you can’t find it on board. My GS just wanted a plain P&J sandwich on our last cruise and the peanut butter was hard to find.

Throw away cameras so the little ones can take their own memories

You might be able to get a stool from your room steward (we did on the last cruise) that are used for the handicapped. Just keep in mind it is big so will have to be stored in the bathtub (or shower) when you aren’t using it.

Their favorite stuffed toy to sleep with

DVD player with their favorite movies. Headphones for the DVD player.

This past cruise someone suggested we get one of those clear plastic or netted over-the-door shoe pocket hangers.....holds about a dozen shoes. Cost about $15 at Walmart. Best if it's clear plastic so you can see what's inside (or netting)....you can get them so each pocket holds 1 or 2 shoes - we chose the smaller pockets.

We got 2....one for each room and hung them over the closet doors. (we had 6 kids)

It was GREAT.... shoes, bathing suits, cameras, keys, sunglasses, sun lotion, papers, pj's, sandals,.....anything else that usually ends up cluttering up the room. Found it to be the best room organizer!

Judy

This past cruise someone suggested we get one of those clear plastic or netted over-the-door shoe pocket hangers.....holds about a dozen shoes. Cost about $15 at Walmart. Best if it's clear plastic so you can see what's inside (or netting)....you can get them so each pocket holds 1 or 2 shoes - we chose the smaller pockets.

We got 2....one for each room and hung them over the closet doors. (we had 6 kids)

It was GREAT.... shoes, bathing suits, cameras, keys, sunglasses, sun lotion, papers, pj's, sandals,.....anything else that usually ends up cluttering up the room. Found it to be the best room organizer!

Judy

Not sure if you have a Bealle's Outlet... we have them here. But the over-the-door shoe holders with the clear, plastic pockets were only $5 there. And they're only about $6.50 at our Wal-Mart. But I loved it so much from our 1st cruise that I've not only used it on every cruise -but I've also used it on other vacations. :D

DJ

I am a cruise newbie too, but have spent time creating a list, I also have two small kids (3 & 6), so while you may need to add diapers, bottles, plastic containers ett and food stuffs for your little one, here is what I have so far...

small flashlight/nightlight, portable clock (battery power) for alarm, chargers for camera (extra batteries/card), video camera & cell phone

collapsible laundry basket for dirty clothes/laundry bag.

Glade flameless candle for cabin.

hair conditioner and shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, and all personal things needed in the bathroom.

folder or envelope for all the documents and paperwork (airline tickets, cruise tickets, shore excursion reservations, hotel reservations, etc...)

Notebook or journal to write in.

baggies

Wrist bands for seasickness and bronine/Dramamine/Gravol/Ginger – check with doctor for kids

Port maps/info

Glow sticks & mini bubbles

Suitcase locks, Safety pins, dental floss, heavy duty elastic bands

Water wings and flotation device for pool, buckets and shovels

Kids medicine (colds and Tylenol) thermometer, banddaids, aftersun, bite cream etc

Pop and water and single juice powders & 2 bottles wine

Mesh Beach Bag - just to bring your book, towel, cup, suntan lotion, camera - by the pool or at port.

an over the door hook/organizer - for wet swimsuits or robes –

also, a collapsible small ice chest and the cabin steward keeps ice in there for drinks

A bungee cord to keep the balcony door open and a small round fridge magnet to deactivate the door alarm for the balcony

post it notes, highlighter, pack of 10 wire hangers

downey wrinkle release

thank you cards for staff (with extra tips)

binoculars

extension cord/power adapter – portable DVD and 2 sets earphones, movies and CD’s

dont mind the different colours...I have an ongoing list and colour coordinated for what I already have - LOL

I wouldn't hold tehe balcony door open with a bungee with a 16 month in the room. The rest of your suggestions are great!

Leave the bungee cord at home. I have never needed to hold my doors open cause I want to keep the kids IN the cabin. ;)

And no one mentioned the big one for young kids - SIPPY CUPS

Because of programs like "save the waves", the cruiselines do not use plastic cups/straws/plastic lids.

So take it from me, a big glass goblet and a toddler do NOT mix. ;)

I will add a "SECOND" to the mini-bubbles on the list posted above. We ALWAYS take them with us, and love to blow bubbles as we sail away from each port. Plus, little kids are always mesmerized by bubbles.

Also--Crayola Color Wonder coloring books. Those are the ones that come with special clear markers that won't write on anything EXCEPT the book. Usually, we purchase the books that have the fun hidden pictures in them.

We always make fun door signs before we go on every cruise. That way the kids know EXACTLY which cabin(s) are ours, and they don't inadvertently put their key or knock on someone else's door. The signs are not fancy, and are usually just an oversize beach scene (drawn by the kids) with the cabin occupant's names in large colorful letters.

Lastly--as a mom, I always have a large-size tote bag that I use as my purse, since I end up carrying a gazillion things from the kids: sippy cups, blankets, random art projects, snacks, etc. Yes, it doesn't match my formal wear, but YES, I am well-prepared with anything I might need at a moment's notice.

CeleBrat

Actually the bungee cords may come in handy. On princess there are very few, if any connecting cabins, so when we traveled with my In laws this year we asked our steward to open the door between our balconies to make one big one. We used the bungee cord to keep that door from slamming as we moved.

If on a ship without self-serve laundry, bring some laundry soap (either the paste kind in a tube like hikers use or a laundry bar) to handwash anything that can't wait to get home (clothes hit by vomit, sticky food etc). Either wash the item in the sink or put the item, some water and some soap in a large zip-lock bag and shake like mad. Rinse in the shower and hang to dry.

Actually the bungee cords may come in handy. On princess there are very few, if any connecting cabins, so when we traveled with my In laws this year we asked our steward to open the door between our balconies to make one big one. We used the bungee cord to keep that door from slamming as we moved.

We've never needed a bungee cord for the connecting balcony doors and we open them all the time. The steward locks them in place for us.

Thanks so much guys! I have a long list here and have started purchasing some stuff already. I am also going to have the kids make the big sign - what a nifty idea! The inlaws will love that :D

*snickers* Xanax.....wait.....maybe that is a good idea. hehe j/k ;)

Just repeating some items from the terrific list above...... but ones we used the most....

Collapsable Mesh Hamper - for dirty laundry, and great to transport the laundry to the laundry room!

Sippy Cups - ever see a two year old try to drink milk from a carton?? Not Pretty!

DVD Player.... or my favorite, my Ipod. I have put some 30 minute shows (Backyardigans, Dora) on my Ipod.... good for quiet/rest time.

Cottonelle Bath Wipes - now that my kids are older and I do not use baby wipes, having these on hand was very usefull.

Tiny Bottle of Purell.

..... and .... I let my now three year old have her own backpack. In it she packed a few of her "friends" and a couple small books.

Catrin

Archived