taking wine on board

flyhi120

If you are going on NCL, you should visit the NCL board and the experts there will tell you what to expect. The last time I checked NCL wine policy, you could bring on as many bottles of wine and pay the corkage fee up front and drink the wine anywhere on the ship. I think the corkage fee is 15 but check over on NCL board to be sure. I also read that NCL is very good at finding booze in your bags and holding the bag for you to come collect.

Other lines have very different wine policies; it pays to check the CURRENT policy for the line you are cruising on.

Have fun.

NCL's corkage fee for wine is $15 per bottle or box. Once you pay the fee you can drink the wine anywhere on board. You can also take the bottle (with sticker) to the dining room and they will open and serve it and even hold it for your next dinner.

All other alcohol attempted to be brought on board is confiscated and returned the last night.

Now you may or may not get away with sneaking it on board. NCL x-rays all of the checked luggage and if they find something "suspicious" in the luggage, they will keep the bag and send you a note to come to the "naughty room" (as we lovingly call it on the NCL board). At the naughty room, you will be asked to open you luggage for a search. (people have been called to the naughty room for large mouthwash containers....) If they don't find anything, off you go on your merry way. If they do find something, they will simply confiscate it and then off you go on your merry way.

All carry on bags are scanned and if something jumps out at the screener, then they will search your bag.

If you are planning on paying the corkage fee so that you can drink your wine, simply put it in your carry on luggage and tell the official at the scanner that you have wine that you wish to pay corkage for and they will direct you to another table to pay the fee.... quick, easy and no hassle.

NCL is extremely strict and dillegent in checking for alcohol and wine. There have been many examples and suggestions on how to sneak it on board. (including your example) Some have succeeded in sneaking it on board but many have also failed. If you are caught, don't scream and yell and make a scene. Just accept it, pay the fee and move on. You know the rules, you choose to take a chance and break the rules but at least be mature enough to own up to it and live with it if you are caught.

They don't want you to but I like my wine...so if I put it in plastic bottle (bota bag) and board the NCL will they spank me or will I get away with it????

If they catch you, they'll take it away from you. You will be called to the "naughty room" and watch while they search your suitcases.

There are cruise lines that permit you to bring one bottle of wine, per person without all the smuggling nonsense. Why not do that instead?

We have cruised NCL only once -- a year ago. We had 2 bottles of wine in our carry on which showed up on the x-ray. They directed us to an inspection table where they looked carefully at our wine bottles and also looked at a couple of unopened water bottles we had. Then the guy gave us the option -- we could pay $15 per bottle and get the stickers or they would keep the wine bottles and return it to us at the end of the cruise. We agreed to pay $30 and they immediately charged it to our cabin card.

Archived