Brunch on Eurodam Today.........

sail7seas

I had a phone call from a CC'er who was invited to the Brunch today on Eurodam. He knew we had debated whether to fly to New York to attend so wanted to tell me about it.

Said it was a little chaotic with the three day cruisers disembarking, the brunch guests boarding and embarkation for the cruisers who board today but that the meal was wonderful. He said they really enjoyed a lovely lunch with wine and then were free to roam about the ship.

He said he likes the ship but had very negative comments about the Lido Pool Cabanas. Liked the look of Tamarind and said loads of gorgeous flowers. (He knows I always want to hear about the flowers. :)) He said he thinks the suites might be a bit smaller but isn't sure. The square footage indicates they're the same as Vista, arent' they?

Seems like they are very much enjoying themselves aboard but must leave by 2:30.

We hope to see her soon.

Thanks for the report, sail. His views seem to be in sync with the majority of those posted so far---Tamarind/Silk Den lovely, Lido cabanas not an improvement.

The cabins, as far as I know, are the same size as those on the Vistas.

Hopefully, you'll be able to see for yourself soon enough. :)

(He knows I always want to hear about the flowers. :))
You may be in for a bit of a shock at the large 'floral arrangements' near the stairs in the middle of the dining room's upper level (I don't remember if they were on the lower level too). They are completely black, jet black. Between them and the gray Gothic-looking gray ceiling in the mid section (complete with occasional red glowing lights) it reminded be of the Addams Family living room - or a funeral parlor. :rolleyes: Another one of the 'decor' decisions that left me scratching my head.

You may be in for a bit of a shock at the large 'floral arrangements' near the stairs in the middle of the dining room's upper level (I don't remember if they were on the lower level too). They are completely black, jet black. Between them and the gray Gothic-looking gray ceiling in the mid section (complete with occasional red glowing lights) it reminded be of the Addams Family living room - or a funeral parlor. :rolleyes: Another one of the 'decor' decisions that left me scratching my head.

We just got off. I tried to get more info about that wood ceiling. I'm convinced it is not finished or they are waiting to install lights etc. We had a 2 top for the weekend by the upper level railing and while we had no issue, the oval 10 top table (I don't have the plan or I would tell everyone the table number) below us was eating in the dark. The red chandelier on Noordam and green/blue on Westerdam (both Dale Chahuly) are superior installations. I tried to ask our dining room waiter but he just tried to tell me it was supposed to be dark to create the atmosphere.....I just got the feeling to cut back costs they put the better installation in the atrium...

My husband and I drove into Manhattan for the brunch today. We felt that everything was pretty well organized. Of course, there were people still disembarking from the 3-day cruise and people arriving for the New England/Canada cruise. They didn't start boarding at 10 am like the invitation stated. That really didn't bother us. Once we did board, we were pointed in the direction of the dining room. We were told to sit anywhere we wanted. We were on the lower level. The meal was delicious and consisted of an appetizer, main entree, wine, dessert, and coffee/tea. The service was a bit lacking, though. At our table, one person's order was never taken, so we had to track down the waiter. Another person's meal was not brought out, so again had to find the waiter. Apologies were made by the staff, and everyone had a nice time despite the foul up. We then were ushered to the main show lounge for a HAL presentation. Upon leaving the dining room, everyone was given a HAL canvas bag with goodies in it - hardcover book on the Eurodam, inaugural tile, Eurodam luggage tag and pin. The presentation included the announcement of the return of NY to Bermuda cruises. After that we were free to walk around the ship on our own. I must say that I thought the ship was absolutely lovely. I really liked the muted color scheme and use of "wood." The Tamarind Restaurant is very inviting - I would definitely plan on eating a meal there. The Silk Den is even more inviting - It just draws you in. The Lido Restaurant seemed very congested. There is not a lot of space between where the tables are and the buffet line. People seemed to get hung up there while passing through. I saw the infamous Lido cabanas. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use them. I don't know...maybe it's me. I always feel that it is too warm and muggy in that main pool area, even when the dome is open. I don't think I would want to be even more enclosed in those cabanas. On the other hand, the cabanas on the deck above (Retreat??) seem really nice. We went up to the Crow's Nest, but a wedding was going to be held in there, so it was roped off. What I saw looked nice - similar to the Crow's Nest on other ships except that the Explorations Cafe is now a part of it. After seeing the ship for myself, I do believe that I would have no problem booking a cruise on the Eurodam. It is a beautiful ship....an updated modern vessel that still retains the essence of HAL. We really are glad that we went to see this beautiful new ship.

My theory on that ceiling is that it is an attempt (failed) to help diffuse the sound in the dining room. The acoustics are bad. We don't have hearing problems, but at our oval 8-top near the entrance, we couldn't have a conversation with the whole table as we couldn't hear each other. We've sailed on almost all the non-Vista ships. They've always had beautiful ceilings. This one... :confused:

My theory on that ceiling is that it is an attempt (failed) to help diffuse the sound in the dining room. The acoustics are bad. We don't have hearing problems, but at our oval 8-top near the entrance, we couldn't have a conversation with the whole table as we couldn't hear each other. We've sailed on almost all the non-Vista ships. They've always had beautiful ceilings. This one... :confused:

My initial impression is that it is suppose to invoke the feeling of a ship. It reminded me of the shape of a viking ship (upside down).

We have had an upper level 2 top on Westerdam, Noordam and now Eurodam and acoustics fine where we sit. Now Celebrity Century has a beautiful looking dinig room but you can't hear anything and it shakes.

My husband and I drove into Manhattan for the brunch today. We felt that everything was pretty well organized. Of course, there were people still disembarking from the 3-day cruise and people arriving for the New England/Canada cruise. They didn't start boarding at 10 am like the invitation stated. That really didn't bother us. Once we did board, we were pointed in the direction of the dining room. We were told to sit anywhere we wanted. We were on the lower level. The meal was delicious and consisted of an appetizer, main entree, wine, dessert, and coffee/tea. The service was a bit lacking, though. At our table, one person's order was never taken, so we had to track down the waiter. Another person's meal was not brought out, so again had to find the waiter. Apologies were made by the staff, and everyone had a nice time despite the foul up. We then were ushered to the main show lounge for a HAL presentation. Upon leaving the dining room, everyone was given a HAL canvas bag with goodies in it - hardcover book on the Eurodam, inaugural tile, Eurodam luggage tag and pin. The presentation included the announcement of the return of NY to Bermuda cruises. After that we were free to walk around the ship on our own. I must say that I thought the ship was absolutely lovely. I really liked the muted color scheme and use of "wood." The Tamarind Restaurant is very inviting - I would definitely plan on eating a meal there. The Silk Den is even more inviting - It just draws you in. The Lido Restaurant seemed very congested. There is not a lot of space between where the tables are and the buffet line. People seemed to get hung up there while passing through. I saw the infamous Lido cabanas. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use them. I don't know...maybe it's me. I always feel that it is too warm and muggy in that main pool area, even when the dome is open. I don't think I would want to be even more enclosed in those cabanas. On the other hand, the cabanas on the deck above (Retreat??) seem really nice. We went up to the Crow's Nest, but a wedding was going to be held in there, so it was roped off. What I saw looked nice - similar to the Crow's Nest on other ships except that the Explorations Cafe is now a part of it. After seeing the ship for myself, I do believe that I would have no problem booking a cruise on the Eurodam. It is a beautiful ship....an updated modern vessel that still retains the essence of HAL. We really are glad that we went to see this beautiful new ship.

We too enjoyed the brunch today. The food was delicious but we found service was slow and lacking. But it was all done with a smile. We did have to ask for rolls and never did get coffee.

Lots of pretty areas on the ship and some we didn't care for.

Couldn't help but notice that some balconies can be viewed while riding the central glass elevators. I don't think I'd want one of those.

I agree lido was congested when we walked through.

We noticed many of the brunch crowd seemed to be taking advantage of the future cruise program which was extended to us.

The over all presentation was excellent. All in all it was very nice and we appreciated being asked to another introductory luncheon (brunch).

On the Vista ships that we have been on -- those vases of flowers near the stair were artificial.

SOOO -- are these artificial as well??

I remember the Addam's family -- and it sure does remind me of their living room.

So what did they serve for lunch???

First was a choice of fruit salad or seafood salad. Main entree was choice between beef and jumbo shrimp, cod, and a quiche. Dessert was a very nice ice cream with berries served in an edible waffle dish. I had the seafood salad, beef/shrimp, and the dessert with coffee. Everything was delicious.

OK Sails. Ur friend weighs in.

Don't love the ship.

They did a great job with lunch. Surf & turf.

Deck synthetic. HATE IT!

Crew still grasping. Despite my favorite bartender of all HAL being aboard.

Sum it up this way: EURODAM is trying. Bt not in love with it. Think she'll do fine. not our cup of tea.

Just curious as to whether there were any unoccupied cabins and, if so, were they available for viewing on your tour? Our TA says we are being invited aboard in Saint John on October 8th and I am very anxious to view a V category cabin as that is what we have booked for our Baltic/Transatlantic cruise next summer.

First was a choice of fruit salad or seafood salad. Main entree was choice between beef and jumbo shrimp, cod, and a quiche. Dessert was a very nice ice cream with berries served in an edible waffle dish. I had the seafood salad, beef/shrimp, and the dessert with coffee. Everything was delicious.

Thank you -- sounds wonderful.

I asked this in another thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Who exactly was invited to this luncheon? Obviously, not all Mariners. Sure wish I had been invited, as I'm geographically close and would have attended.

Good question -- as many of us who live near New York are never invited to these luncheons, etc.

Good question -- as many of us who live near New York are never invited to these luncheons, etc.

I thought maybe it was for Mariners with a lot of time on HAL, but the other person who posted only had two HAL cruises (of course, they might have been WORLD cruises) so I thought it odd.

loads of gorgeous flowers

I noted this too on our lunch in Southampton docks. I commented to my DH. I think they were real flowers at that time. I also seem to remember reading on the Eurodam News blog about the flowers being real and how they are acquired by the two people responsible for the arrangements. But I could be wrong.

After we had disembarked, we did notice several of the arrangements being taken away along the quayside!

Archived