$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] The problem here is the suggestion that substituting an upsell for a core product is merely offering "a choice." [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]That has been the Big Lie of the vacation industry in recent years - providing customers with fewer choices and weaker products, yet masquerading the whole scam as some sort of customer service. It's called lying. And it's reprehensible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Simple formula: Degrade and erode the core product, while slowly adding costlier alternatives. Eventually drive the customers away from what they thought they were buying - and what they'd set out to buy - and instead force them into taking the more expensive option that you're selling.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Perhaps some people aren't offended by this. Maybe you call it simply "a free market." [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Others of us see it as disgracefully arrogant greed. Regardless, all Royal Caribbean passengers need to be aware of it ... for we are not only cruisers and vacationers, but also consumers. And clearly, this cruise line profits most from us when we are uneducated consumers. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]So I will call anyone to task for endorsing the "it's just another choice" line - because that is simply anti-consumer propaganda.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]As for finding another cruise line, perhaps. My plan, though, is to do what ALL Royal Caribbean customers ought to consider: Retaliate. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]In our past cruises, I never once brought alcohol or soda aboard. It seemed tacky, but also fundamentally unfair to Royal Caribbean. They were giving a fair product and in exchange were entitled to my soda and bar business. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]But as they're now gouging and cheating, the rules change. Royal Caribbean will not again profit from beverage service with our account. ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]My wife and I frequently booked excursions through the cruise line, too. This was partly for convenience and dependability, but also - as silly as this sounds - to be decent customers. Really. But that ends now, too. The souvenirs from the shops end as well; anything I need will be bought on shore.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]We'll continue to tip significantly-better-than-average because the staff is innocent in all of this. But as for the cruise line, it can expect me to play a new onboard game: "Nickel-and-dime Royal Caribbean." Just how low can that disembarkation statement go? :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][/quote]
Parnami is that you? Gosh, it is so liked old times reading your posts, again!:D

jc

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Seeing RCL maintain max value for customers - and some semblance of "all inclusive vacation" for the ordinary cruise passenger - aren't necessarily beneficial to you. After all, you've got a separate financial interest in the stock price, and an exclusive cost break as a shareholder. So I can't fault your take on this issue ... so long as you recognize that your interests aren't at all parallel to those of typical RCL customers.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I don't intend to carry on a lengthy debate with you. You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. However, I would like to clarify that my mere 100 shares of RCI stock will not color my impression of anything. That is merely an investment in my future trips by way of OBC. It's a nice perk.

Second, EVERY mass-market cruiseline is doing the same thing. If you don't like it, move on up.

Third, earlier in this thread I agreed that it was TERRIBLE that our fellow RCI cruiser was charged (and it was no doubt in error) for the fruit drink. I suggested he pursue the matter further. It WAS NOT RIGHT.

That said, I am still an RCI cheerleader. I've never been disappointed. When the time comes when I'm charged for the basic necessities, then my cruising habits will change. I do not require a fruit drink in the dining room. I don't need a steak. I do need my room cleaned and made up; I do need three meals a day.

No further comments. Good-bye. I'm getting ready to enjoy my next cruise and have packing to do.:D

Its amazing that anyone after reading the posts here could think someone wants a Chops steak served in the main dining room for no additional cost. Wow, unbelievable.

This is mind blowing that someone could misread and be so far off to come to that conclusion.

I severly question why there was a need to only show the $14.95 steak on the dining room menu and remove the free steak. If I wanted a good stake, I would pay the cover charge and go to Chops for the entire experience.

Why "punish" everyone for those who wanted a better product? Everyone doesn't eat steak to begin with. The area of contention is the spread of additional extra charge items showing up in the main dining room menu now that the first step has been taken.

Most passengers are not RCL stockholders so they are not eligilble for additional on board credits or price reductions. Shareholders will benefit from any increase value of their shares of stock. Most passengers will not but none the less have to pay increased fares to sail on RCL ships as the cabin prices continue to rise.

First time passengers and non-US passengers are not spending as much on board. Family groups cannot afford to purchase the tours without shelling out close to $200 or more for 4 tickets for the longer excursions. There were several discussions amongst the shop staff on my 7/31 sailing. On-board revenue was down. They were preparing their sales reports and comparing with something I could not hear clearly. When did you ever see the tables sitting out in the middle of the Promanade deck during one of the 15 minutes shows? Either you were expected to shop or watch the performance.

I did not see the frantic shopping that normally occurs on other lines when the shops announce price reductions or limited sales. Some of the merchandise was very much overpriced compared to the prices at home or in the ports.

Princess automatically gives you a discount on all merchandise by just showing your boarding card that is coded with your discount. RCCL will give you a discount coupon for logo items, but only if it is full price. Even if it was reduced on Princess, you would still get a discount and you didn't need a coupon to do so. May be instead of printing the coupon books, RCCL could save money by just coding our boarding cards? That would eliminate the printing costs for most of the coupons that do not get used by anyone on every sailing.

RCCL has to remember one thing, with the economy the way it is they are lucky passengers are still booking cruises in the first place. Charge higher fares and passengers are less likely to spend freely on board for any extras.

Only a small percentage of the sailings are ever discounted because of poor sales. Cruises out of Bayonne are seldom discounted because passengers do not want to spend the extra money to fly to a port or pay for hotels pre cruise. Ports in the NE are an easy sale for RCCL and do not benefit from price reductions.

MARAPRINCE

[quote name='Tranquil Waters']so we're not going to be renaming you Don Quixote?[/quote]

Ding, ding! You are again discerning!;) Other than a few noteable people, the Don Quixote team seems to be never changing.... I am a bit surprised by your choice of bedfellows! :D

jc

[quote name='petesweet']

EVERY mass-market cruiseline is doing the same thing. If you don't like it, move on up.

Someone earlier posted the same thing.

Am I missing something?:confused:

What other mass market cruiseline is charging for food in the main dining room? I know there are rumors that NCL will [I]in the future.[/I] But right now, I'm not aware of any other cruiseline charging for food in the main dining room, except Royal Caribbean.

[quote name='petesweet']

EVERY mass-market cruiseline is doing the same thing. If you don't like it, move on up.

Someone earlier posted the same thing.

Am I missing something?:confused:

What other mass market cruiseline is charging for food in the main dining room? I know there are rumors that NCL will [I]in the future.[/I] But right now, I'm not aware of any other cruiseline charging for food in the main dining room, except Royal Caribbean.

[quote name='Maraprince']First time passengers and non-US passengers are not spending as much on board. MARAPRINCE[/quote]

Well darn it! You've sucked me into this again after I swore I'd stay away.:rolleyes:

Where do you get your statistics that non-US passengers don't spend as much? That's just plain absurd and I can back it up with my credit card statements! :eek: :mad:

2P.P1

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Ding, ding! You are again discerning!;) Other than a few noteable people, the Don Quixote team seems to be never changing.... I am a bit surprised by your choice of bedfellows! :D

jc[/quote]

An indepenent thinker doesn't choose one's bedfellows - he/she simply calls 'em as he/she sees 'em. :D

Signed,

Donna Quixote

[quote name='Tranquil Waters']An indepenent thinker doesn't choose one's bedfellows - he/she simply calls 'em as he/she sees 'em. :D

Signed,

Donna Quixote[/quote]

Just remember to get tested afterwords! Some of the things you pick up can cling to you! :D

jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Parnami is that you? Gosh, it is so liked old times reading your posts, again!:D

jc[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Nope. I've never had another screen name on CC than EscapeFromConnecticut, and "Parnami" is a name unknown to me.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] "xpcdoojk," though, sounds very familiar. Perhaps we've disagreed before. :)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Brad1185']Its amazing that anyone after reading the posts here could think someone wants a Chops steak served in the main dining room for no additional cost. Wow, unbelievable.

This is mind blowing that someone could misread and be so far off to come to that conclusion.[/quote]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] Brad1185 - Reading the bitterness in that poster's previous writings suggests it was not a case of accidentally misreading anything. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] Evidently, some folks consciously prefer to misstate the other side's position -- and that poster isn't the only one doing it here. The Kool Aiders are posting lots of bogus conjecture, false "facts" and groundless assertions as truth ... and once they're called on it, they NEVER man up. :rolleyes: That's a trademark of the cheerleader crowd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[quote name='Maraprince']I severly question why there was a need to only show the $14.95 steak on the dining room menu and remove the free steak. If I wanted a good stake, I would pay the cover charge and go to Chops for the entire experience.

Why "punish" everyone for those who wanted a better product? Everyone doesn't eat steak to begin with. [COLOR=red]The area of contention is the spread of additional extra charge items showing up in the main dining room menu now that the first step has been taken[/COLOR].
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]That's exactly on target! Thanks for the good summary.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Nope. I've never had another screen name on CC than EscapeFromConnecticut, and "Parnami" is a name unknown to me.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]"xpcdoojk," though, sounds very familiar. Perhaps we've disagreed before. :)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Keep calling the other members kool aid krowd, etc... and you will soon need one!;) Since you only have a relatively small number of posts and most of them are on this thread, that would seem unlikely since you have only had one CC ID. :D

jc<----- cracks himself up sometimes:p

[quote name='petesweet']Second, EVERY mass-market cruiseline is doing the same thing.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Ah ... specifically, which ones? [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Where exactly are your links to news stories or CC posts documenting any of this?[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]If you don't like it, move on up.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] You're wonderfully generous with those free suggestions.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]But tell ya what: When I'm looking for advice, you'll hear me ask. Meanwhile, if you phone isn't ringing ... that's probably me. :) [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]Third, earlier in this thread I agreed that it was TERRIBLE that our fellow RCI cruiser was charged (and it was no doubt in error) for the fruit drink. [/quote]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] "It was no doubt in error" Why do we assume that? Maybe it was, maybe we'll find out it's part of RCL's new $$-grab.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] Let's remember, the Kool Aiders started out here by accusing lysolqun of misreading the menu, confusing a drink charge with the steak charge, and misrepresenting the whole matter ... until the evidence came in proving lysolqun was 100% accurate from the very start. (The rest of us are STILL waiting for apologies or explanations from the cheerleaders who belittled lysolqun's story rudely and inaccurately -- [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]not surprisingly, they haven't gotten around to that.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[quote]I do not require a fruit drink in the dining room. I don't need a steak. I do need my room cleaned and made up; I do need three meals a day.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Interesting to wonder just how mediocre RCL can make those three meals before it makes a difference. The level of TGI Fridays? Applebee's? HoJo's or Ihop? :( The Kmart lunch counter? :eek: Nedick's?[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Those of us who care about dining as one of the core onboard amenities certainly don't want to see the answer to this one.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]Good-bye. I'm getting ready to enjoy my next cruise and have packing to do.:D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]Bon voyage. ;)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Keep calling the other members kool aid krowd, etc... and you will soon need one![/quote]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] You think I'll be run out of town by Fain's Flunkies? Not a chance. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] Interesting that most of "the other members" who've posted here share the displeasure about RCL's deceptive experiment. The Kool Aid Krowd is very much the minority opinion ([COLOR=red]noisy ... [/COLOR]but definitely minority).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[quote name='petesweet']I don't intend to carry on a lengthy debate with you. You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. However, I would like to clarify that my mere 100 shares of RCI stock will not color my impression of anything. That is merely an investment in my future trips by way of OBC. It's a nice perk.

Second, EVERY mass-market cruiseline is doing the same thing. If you don't like it, move on up.

Third, earlier in this thread I agreed that it was TERRIBLE that our fellow RCI cruiser was charged (and it was no doubt in error) for the fruit drink. I suggested he pursue the matter further. It WAS NOT RIGHT.

That said, I am still an RCI cheerleader. I've never been disappointed. When the time comes when I'm charged for the basic necessities, then my cruising habits will change. I do not require a fruit drink in the dining room. I don't need a steak. I do need my room cleaned and made up; I do need three meals a day.

No further comments. Good-bye. I'm getting ready to enjoy my next cruise and have packing to do.:D[/QUOTE]

You have got to me kidding me..... only 3 meals a day????? On a cruise?????:eek: :eek: :D :D

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]There have been multiple other methods posted in the thread. Did you not bother to read, or did you simply ignore them? Either way: Why is that?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[/quote]

Perhaps YOU missed the end part of that post of mine you quoted where I stated that there were plenty of options available to those who don't like the turn of the business... I didn't feel the need to insult anyone's intelligence by listing each individual method... However, if you feel you have the time and arrogance to do so, have at it!

[quote name='Brad1185']Chop's steaks should be served in Chops. Meals in the dining room should be included. I cant believe anyone would be excited to be paying for their meals in the dining room, but from the posts there are.

I cancelled my June 2009 cruise on the Mariner. I know it wont matter much but at least I feel like I have done something.

I still have a April 2009 on the Radiance and January 2010 on the Oasis. As for those cruises, just have to monitor how this progresses.[/quote]
Sorry, this is OT................but Brad.........we'd love for you to come and visit our roll call for the April 26, 2009 Radiance Valparaiso to San Diego repo cruise. We have an awesome group.

OK........back to talking about steaks.:D

Archived