$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

I recently contacted royal caribbean to see why the charge has been applied. here is the response.

"We can confirm that we are currently trialling some new ideas on two ships where by there is an option to purchase a steak from the menu of Chops Grill for a fee in the main dining room. Please be aware that this is not something that is fleetwide and is not being done onboard the Voyager of the Seas, therefore the dining options will be as you have experienced before for your cruise with us"

Probably trialling to see if they make more money!!!

Yup, same way they trialed the Johnny Rocket's charge.... two ships for two months..... and the rest is history!

I can't believe that there are over 500 posts for a $14.95 steak. Most people seem to be upset with the idea. It is a choice folks, don't buy it if you don't want to. It is an option for anyone that wants it. How would you like it if they only offered inside cabins? They have other choices for you and charge you for them. For those of you that are getting ready to flame me, look at Oasis of the Seas - RCCL is offering more options in cabin categories so for those getting ready to tell me that it is different charging for a steak because it is something new that they didn't do in the past - the didn't offer so many different cabin choices in the past either.

I think it is great. I wish they would offer a 2 lb lobster every night on the menu because I would pay extra every night. I would also pay extra for a vadalia onion tart every night as well. lol.

I can't believe that there are over 500 posts for a $14.95 steak. Most people seem to be upset with the idea. It is a choice folks, don't buy it if you don't want to. It is an option for anyone that wants it. How would you like it if they only offered inside cabins? They have other choices for you and charge you for them. For those of you that are getting ready to flame me, look at Oasis of the Seas - RCCL is offering more options in cabin categories so for those getting ready to tell me that it is different charging for a steak because it is something new that they didn't do in the past - the didn't offer so many different cabin choices in the past either.

I think it is great. I wish they would offer a 2 lb lobster every night on the menu because I would pay extra every night. I would also pay extra for a vadalia onion tart every night as well. lol.

** sigh **

Ah, but it is allowing one "choice" by removing another. To improve on your example by standing it on its head, some people like the price of those inside cabins and can't fathom needing to pay more for something they don't seem to need. And thus, somewhat by your example comparison, the inside cabin would be removed as an offering ... just like the free steak.

And to go with your next example, with the myriad of cabin categories on the Oasis, there come different prices starting with the lowest and base rate of the typical inside cabin. You can always upgrade if you'd like, but (like most cruises adverts) prices are always listed as "Starting From [inside cabin rate]." MDR food has (had) a base rate. That base rate was that it was included with one's fare ... it was included at no additional charge. Now they're experimenting with the removal of a staple thing of many cruise lines (not just RCL): a no extra-cost steak in the dining room.

You can't upgrade something that isn't offered in the first place. You cannot offer choice when there is no alternative (steak) available.

---

On a side note, request a vidalia tart as a starter each evening the first night of your next cruise with RCL. Depending on how the stars are aligned, you might get that desire. Or you might be told "NO". Four years ago, I couldn't fathom the second occurence even happening ... today I'm not so sure.

Also, I think that a better "experiment" would've been offering a better variety of lobster on those shorter cruises ... for a fee. ;)

Hi, Gang ... I'm back!!! :D :D :D Yeah, go on, you know ya missed me!!

This thread is up over 22,000 page views now. Awesome. Who know, maybe they can hear the message all the way off in Miami:

"BRRRING, BRRRRING .... Mr. Fain, this is your wake-up call" :cool:

Yep, as of 11 p.m. EST the Great Steak Debate has been seen by:

• nearly 7 times as many CC members as the "update on fuel supplement refunds" thread

• 9 times more people than the "Jewel of the Seas secrets"

• a dozen times more readers than the popular "Am I crazy ... I can't take my kids" thread

So that calls for a tip of the cap to Fred, exp, Pete, Curley and the entire cuddly gang at KoolAid Unlimited, LLC - it was OUTSTANDING work y'all have done while I was gone!!

Thanks to your unending (oy, talk about unending :rolleyes:) contributions, this thread is up in the big leagues!!

Guys, we couldn't have done it without ya.

(Of course, credit also goes to the many sensible, rational and well-informed folks who wrote to refute your ludicrous jibberish with actual facts).

]

Tonight's award for brevity, clarity and logic:

YES FRIENDS JUST GOT OFF FOS AND LAST YEARS EVERYDAY ALTERNATIVE IS NOW 14.95!!!!! shame on RCL!!!!!

lance32:(

Lance32, you get it - and you sum it up sharply and neatly!! Cheers.

For all who are joining this debate in midstream, here's the extended version ...

Traditional system: Your cruise fare includes the choice to have a steak every night in the main dining room at no charge. Another choice is to go to Chops to buy a steak.

Fain's experiment (on Freedom of the Seas): Your cruise fare includes the choice to go to Chops to buy a steak.

No other steak is available every night.

Most of us see this as bad for one or more of these reasons:

- It cheapens the MDR experience by bringing price onto the menu (one traditional pleasure of cruising is to enjoy meals without seeing prices or thinking about money, because you've paid up front. Where else can you have a five-course meal and leave the wallet back in the room?)

- It damages the hassle-free nature of the main dining room (now you've got to decide whether to spend extra $$ on dinner, then later pay the waiter)

- It opens the door to more and more extra-charge items in the MDR (if RCL makes a profit with this, why not charge for salmon? or baked alaska? or fruit cocktail?)

- It opens the door to going fleetwide (if Freedom turns an extra buck doing this, why not every ship?)

- It opens the door to more extra-charge items throughout the ship ($8 cover charge for the headliner comic? $5 to use the treadmill?)

- It takes away a choice, and a very valuable one at that. (If you liked the RCL steak, you could have one every night - included in your cruise fare. The steak and salmon are the most valuable items on the alternate menu. Fain's plan would take one of them away.)

A few folks here say this change would be good. Their arguments seem to be:

- 'This just adds a choice.' (Actually, it eliminates one - but spin sounds better than fact)

- 'Hey, blame the union organizers and government workers.' (Seriously. Look through the back posts)

- 'You asked for this change.' (Actually, we didn't)

- 'Shut up.' (Our response is: No.)

- 'RCL needs to make a profit, so shut up.' (Still no.)

- 'Go cruise with somebody else.' (No again.)

- '$%^@#&!!! We're very angry and important people, you know!!' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For all who are joining this debate in midstream, here's the extended version ...

Traditional system: Your cruise fare includes the choice to have a steak every night in the main dining room at no charge. Another choice is to go to Chops to buy a steak.

Fain's experiment (on Freedom of the Seas): Your cruise fare includes the choice to go to Chops to buy a steak.

- It cheapens the MDR experience by bringing price onto the menu (one traditional pleasure of cruising is to enjoy meals without seeing prices or thinking about money, because you've paid up front. Where else can you have a five-course meal and leave the wallet back in the room?)

- It damages the hassle-free nature of the main dining room (now you've got to decide whether to spend extra $$ on dinner, then later pay the waiter)

- It opens the door to more and more extra-charge items in the MDR (if RCL makes a profit with this, why not charge for salmon? or baked alaska? or fruit cocktail?)

- It opens the door to going fleetwide (if Freedom turns an extra buck doing this, why not every ship?)

- It opens the door to more extra-charge items throughout the ship ($8 cover charge for the headliner comic? $5 to use the treadmill?)

- It takes away a choice, and a very valuable one at that. (If you liked the RCL steak, you could have one every night - included in your cruise fare. The steak and salmon are the most valuable items on the alternate menu. Fain's plan would take one of them away.)

- 'This just adds a choice.' (Actually, it eliminates one - but spin sounds better than fact)

- 'Hey, blame the union organizers and government workers.' (Seriously. Look through the back posts)

- '$%^@#&!!! We're very angry and important people, you know!!' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

self.toothorn(true);

I am the OP and I stopped reading this thread a week ago when someone pretty much accused me of trying to start some kind of controversy. I saw the $14.95 for steak mentioned in a review and only wanted to know if anyone else had seen the same thing on the DR menus. I am amazed that this has gone on as long as it has.

Now that we know it is only on 2 ships for now my question is answered so I'm out of here.

So that calls for a tip of the cap to Fred, exp, Pete, Curley and the entire cuddly gang at KoolAid Unlimited, LLC - it was OUTSTANDING work y'all have done while I was gone!! ]

Here, here! They've raised the practice of denial, deflection, defensiveness and being delusional to an art form.

This thread is up over 22,000 page views now. Awesome. Who know, maybe they can hear the message all the way off in Miami:

• nearly 7 times as many CC members as the "update on fuel supplement refunds" thread
  • a dozen times more readers than the popular "Am I crazy ... I can't take my kids" thread

So that calls for a tip of the cap to Fred, exp, Pete, Curley and the entire cuddly gang at KoolAid Unlimited, LLC - it was OUTSTANDING work y'all have done while I was gone!!

Thanks to your unending (oy, talk about unending :rolleyes:) contributions, this thread is up in the big leagues!!

Guys, we couldn't have done it without ya.

(Of course, credit also goes to the many sensible, rational and well-informed folks who wrote to refute your ludicrous jibberish with actual facts).

]

Don't take too much credit, Don. Lots of comments were about punctuation, and LOTS more were just making fun of you!!:D Welcome back, I guess.

Well looks like you need to focus your chirping and lobbying on the up and coming pax on FOS and Majesty. This is where the info will come from as to how well it is working. If the trial run proves successful there, then guess what.....yes fleetwide.icon12.gif

I doubt if it will affect you very much, as you have been out of it for a while anyway. Maybe you are just used to Ponderosa steaks, or for worse, you just can't handle a changing environment.icon11.gif

I hope it is big success, maybe we can get nice 16 or 20oz. Maine lobster tail for about $25 added to it as well. We just booked another cruise on Majesty in early Dec. I'll make sure we participate.icon14.gif

I hope it is big success, maybe we can get nice 16 or 20oz. Maine lobster tail for about $25 added to it as well. We just booked another cruise on Majesty in early Dec. I'll make sure we participate.icon14.gif

Wow, Curly, you must be one of Royal Carribean's favorite customers! Maybe you could ask them to tag on a few extra charges for items, just for you exclusively. :p

So that calls for a tip of the cap to Fred, exp, Pete, Curley and the entire cuddly gang at KoolAid Unlimited, LLC -

]

The biggest problem with your 22,000 views is that I have viewed it 20,000 times personally, and you a 1000 therefore it doesn't mean very much. Just wanting to help you to see the fallacy of your logic.:rolleyes:

jc

The biggest problem with your 22,000 views is that I have viewed it 20,000 times personally, and you a 1000 therefore it doesn't mean very much. Just wanting to help you to see the fallacy of your logic.:rolleyes:

jc

20,000? Gee, don't risk RSI over keeping up with us! Feel free to take off a day. Or 20. :)

As for the the rest of the board readers, decide for yourselves: Is xpc's 20,000 an accurate estimate? Or another ... ahem ... "fact" presented by Fain's orchestral section? :rolleyes:

My count shows more than 50 separate CC members objecting to RCL taking away the no-charge steak and substituting a $15 upsell option ... and fewer than 10 people defending it.

Many of those objecting say they'll stop cruising or drop RCL if this charge-by-the-entree scam succeeds and expands.

Meanwhile, nobody has come over from Princess or HAL and posted "Great improvement, RCL. I want to pay more and get fleeced like a chump, and you're the line that will let me do it. I'm on the phone to book Liberty today!!"

So when rational people really think through what this change means, the overwhelming majority are concluding it's a rip-off. Many of them warn that it will cost RCL their good will and possibly their business.

On the other side, the few screeching and snarling KoolAiders have been through 540 posts but still can't concoct any reasonable or logical defense. What's more, they can't offer RCL any new business from this scam.

Now granted, nickel-and-diming will make RCL's short-term P&L numbers look healthier, and might help pay down some of those Genesis-class bills for the new builds. And make no mistake: Fain and Friends are all about those short-term results; that's the basis for exec bonuses.

But long-term? How exactly do bad faith, mistrustful customers and a rep for weasel scams help a consumer-based company in the long term?

And for that matter, how does it help us?

EscapeFromConncecticut,

You're not suggesting the KoolAid Krowd resort to reason and logic when discussing anything RCI, are you? How can you expect them to grasp those concepts when the two words don't even exist in their lexicon? Bear in mind, they're all card-carrying members of "The Worldwide Association of I've Made Up My Mind; Don't Confuse Me With the Facts."

I couldn't pay enough for that to happen. I wonder how long he would actually sit at the table. We'll be on Adventure next month, and Serenade in Jan. If he had a cruise booked, I'd love to change mine, just to get the chance.icon12.gif

Let's see Cruise $1299, Steak $14.95, dinner in MDR w/Don, Priceless

((ANOTHER fan trying for more time with the master??

Man, this whole 'reflected celebrity' trip gets so out of hand ... the rules say "autographs AFTER the show," but they keep hounding anyway.))

Dude ... ah yeah, cool, like whatever and stuff. Check with my office and maybe they can set it up.

Meantime, there's a thread to feed.

We're short on soapy blather from the Krazy KoolAid Krowd. Back to your work station!

The ego fest continues. :D Not to mention slander of RCI and the forum members. How many times are you going to post Kool aid drinkers krowd thinking that the forum mods are not smart enough to catch it? You have an axe to grind, and it is fascinating to watch you destroy your reputation.

I was taught that the crusades ended in the middle ages, but alas, there are still people trying to bring enlightenment to the savages. Thank you O crusaders of the truth for freeing us!:rolleyes: :D

Please continue, posting, maybe I will get to 30,000 personal views.:p

jc

It may be the case that the cruiseline needs to find methods of increasing revenue due to the economy, rising fuel prices or for investment in new ships, but I do not see that as my concern. They are smart people and I'll leave that to them to figure out. I'm just looking for the best value for my vacation dollars ....

This is a thing of beauty - someone else who gets it!

Fain and his army of execs have the job of managing RCL's finances ... but we here on CC have the responsibility of managing our finances.

(What lunacy it is for KoolAiders to suggest that we dutifully sacrifice our vacation amenities in order to finance RCL's decision to build megaships in a recession).

It is NOT our job to justify why we should be able to keep what we're already paying for; it's RCL's job to earn our business with maximum value. Thanks, LAnn, for pointing that out so gracefully.

EscapeFromConncecticut,

You're not suggesting the KoolAid Krowd resort to reason and logic when discussing anything RCI, are you? How can you expect them to grasp those concepts when the two words don't even exist in their lexicon? Bear in mind, they're all card-carrying members of "The Worldwide Association of I've Made Up My Mind; Don't Confuse Me With the Facts."

lysolqn - Yes, looks like you called it right.

I imagine the Flat Earth Society is going to keep hammering the table louder and harder as the facts keep pouring in against them. They haven't won one yet:

"$14.95 steak? It's not really happening" defense - disproved. :)

"$14.95 steak? It's just adding choices" defense - discredited. :)

"RCL can do what it wants - shut up" defense - outvoted. :)

"We hate you people. You're union organizers and disloyal customers and government workers, and we hate, hate, hate you!! And don't dare criticize us, either!" defense - laughed off the board. :D

Their whole cost justification "logic" had me thinking about the reverse approach. Imagine that the paying customers tried this same scheme with Fain:

"Hey, RCL, book me on Liberty in December. Quote me a fare."

"$1,200"

"Great, here's my credit card."

"Well, also there are also port charges ..."

"Sorry, I'm not paying those any more."

"Excuse me?"

"You just get the $1,200 now. Yeah, I know I've ALWAYS paid port charges before. But I don't want to pay for them any more. You see, my electric bill is way up, plus I'm building a cabin up by the lake ... so you can see my money is tight. I've got to cut back somewhere. And I don't want to spend it on you. So that's your problem now."

The difference, of course, is that RCL can't be flim-flammed into that: They want the $$ up front.

But under this shoddy $14.95 steak bait-and-switch, they wait until customers are on the ship to fleece them.

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

Dear EFC - While all of us "too stupid to understand the concept" RCCL cruisers appreciate you concern for our pocketbooks and cruising satisfaction; would you please now return to the asylum you've escaped from? :cool:

As I posted previously - I have no clue what most of your rant is about because of your choice of presenting it in such a difficult to read font and color - I won't read it, but I've picked up enough to get the gist of it. After 200+ posts by you, we get it. :rolleyes:

Dear EFC - While all of us "too stupid to understand the concept" RCCL cruisers appreciate you concern for our pocketbooks and cruising satisfaction; would you please now return to the asylum you've escaped from? :cool:

Why honey, there is no "all of us" ... On a thread of 550 posts, there are only about a half-dozen of you. ;)

As I posted previously - I have no clue what most of your rant is about because of your choice of presenting it in such a difficult to read font and color - I won't read it, but I've picked up enough to get the gist of it. After 200+ posts by you, we get it. :rolleyes:

Can't imagine why you keep coming back then. :(

But since this sounds like you last visit, buh bye!!

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

I have the answer to this charging for steak practice.

BYOS

(Bring Your Own Steak)

Thats right, just like all those good folks that don't wish to pay the 'exorbinant' costs of onboard liquor, just bring your own steak, and have the folks in the kitchen slap it on the grill for you.

However, if they implement a 'no bringing your own steak policy' it could get messy, since steak is probably nasty to smuggle, but I'm sure something can be arranged.

In the fine tradition of rum runners, anbody got any ideas for steak runners?

Archived