$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Where did I say I was boycotting anything? And please spare me the CHANGE mantra. That is banal prattle from a typical motivational seminar for wannabe managers two years out of college. Ditto the freedom lecture and the ad hominem usage of it.

I love it when someone posts something in this forum that is contrary to someone else's views, and the response from too many members is to tell them to not come here anymore.

Actually, only the first line was for you. The rest of it is a rant for the boycott king, EFC.

Shouldn't let your knickers get in such a wad. It is an internet forum.

Boycotts, are an attempt to deny others their liberty. Surely, you don't dispute that?:eek:

jc

Boycotts, are an attempt to deny others their liberty. Surely, you don't dispute that?

I do dispute that. One can simply ignore a boycott; and a boycott has nothing to do with denying anyone's liberty. A boycott is the same as a union strike against a company, but not by the union. But then I wasn't talking about boycotting RCI to begin with, but merely registering my disgust with the need to whip out my cruise card to order from the MDR menu.

Perhaps it would be easier for those who embrace every new fee on a ship (oh! we love CHANGE!) if the lines started putting bar code wrist bands on the passengers. Then every new opportunity to buy something could be accomplished with a quick scan of the wrist band with a bar code gun. The waiters could carry them in holsters. I'm sure the kool-aid drinkers would be amused. As an added plus, it would decrease the number of cruise cards that need to be replaced because the magnetic strip was worn out.

My one and only post on this thread is to quote from the "Main Dining Room" section of the RCI website. It seems to me that this should have been changed before the $14.95 steak appeared.

"Costs

All meals (including coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) in the main dining room are included in the price of your cruise. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices."

I believe all meals in the MDR are still included. I plan to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the MDR and not pay anything extra.

A steak is not a meal; it is an optional item on the menu.

Where did I say I was boycotting anything? And please spare me the CHANGE mantra. That is banal prattle from a typical motivational seminar for wannabe managers two years out of college. Ditto the freedom lecture and the ad hominem usage of it.

I love it when someone posts something in this forum that is contrary to someone else's views, and the response from too many members is to tell them to not come here anymore.

Posting is one thing; ranting and raving and calling names is another.:D (Tipping my hat to Don here.)

I believe all meals in the MDR are still included. I plan to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the MDR and not pay anything extra.

Of course a steak is a meal. What do you think it is, a table decoration??????

One would probably call it an entree.icon5.gifWhich is optional.

I guess you could call it a meal if that is the only thing you eat. A meal IMO would be a number of items set in a series, ie, appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and desert. That's a meal. I suppose one could eliminate, or change one or more of the items, and therefore still have a meal, or call it part of a meal. icon12.gif

Since this thread is about meat anybody remember that Wendy's commercial where that old lady said Where's The Beef. I still laugh when I think of that.

Gary

Good ol' Clara. You'll find her here:

Sadly, the actress is gone.

But couldn't you imagine her walking up to a Freedom maitre 'd, glaring angrily at a menu without the traditional steak .... "Where's the beef?"

Gee, Mr. Fain - you'd even cheat that poor old lady out of her already-paid-for sirloin? Have you no shame?

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

I'm sure many of us remember when the dinning room menu offered NY strip and fillet Mignon...free....

those were the days....gone now, but frankly I don't mind paying extra if the food is really good.

Agreed, the meals - especially the red meat in the Main Dining Room USED to be really good. The quality of passengers is what really changed IMPO!! I guess it goes back to the old saying..you get what you PAY for.

###

Interesting wording from the RCL website's Food and Beverage section (I've highlighted the relevant section) :

Q: What dining options are offered onboard?

A: You're going to need some serious energy food for all the activities and excursions on a Royal Caribbean cruise. And whether you're hungering for a quick snack or an elegant dinner, we've got you covered!

Dining options vary from ship to ship, but here's an idea of what you'll find:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifEnjoy a warm, full meal for breakfast and a multi-course feast for dinner in the Main Dining Room.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifOptions abound in the Windjammer Café - perfect for a quick lunch or a casual meal

.con_bulletgray_ico.gifOur Specialty Restaurants - like Chops Grille or Portofino - offer amazing food in a restaurant atmosphere.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifIf you've got a sweet tooth, grab a scoop at Ben & Jerry's or a creamy shake at Johnny Rockets - our lively onboard diner.

Meals from many onboard venues, such as the Main Dining Room and Windjammer Café, are included in the price of your cruise. There is a $20.00 USD per person service charge to dine at the Portofino Restaurant and a $25.00 USD per person service charge for Chops Grille. To dine in Johnny Rockets, there is a $3.95 USD per person service charge. All prices subject to change

(wow - some change, eh?)

Meanwhile, for anyone still unsure precisely what it is that RCL's $14.95 steak experiment is taking away from your cruise, it's the steak described below.

It has been one of the alternative entrees traditionally offered every night for passengers who don't find the specials appealing ... the fourth item under "Alternative selections" -

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2445821710101873900srdHhu

On most RCL ships, this choice is still available to passengers.

But as of the last Freedom sailing, it had been taken off the MDR menu on that ship in favor of a $14.95 upgrade steak. (The same one already available for a fee at Chops).

And yes, some folks here actually argued that change was designed to expand the customers' choices. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

When I refuse the steak (which I will), I still have a full meal to enjoy. I have an appetizer, salad, bread, entree, dessert, and something to drink, all served beautifully by a wonderful wait staff. I just do not have a steak. I have a meal.

One would probably call it an entree.icon5.gifWhich is optional.

I guess you could call it a meal if that is the only thing you eat. A meal IMO would be a number of items set in a series, ie, appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and desert. That's a meal. I suppose one could eliminate, or change one or more of the items, and therefore still have a meal, or call it part of a meal. icon12.gif

OK...now this thread is turning funny, very funny - a breath of fresh air for a debate gone stale at least one hundred posts ago. This old horse has been so beaten to death, its parts will likely show up as a not-so-Chops-quality steak on the main dining room menu for the reasonable price of only $14.95! (LOL!) Have a good weekend all.

When I refuse the steak (which I will), I still have a full meal to enjoy. I have an appetizer, salad, bread, entree, dessert, and something to drink, all served beautifully by a wonderful wait staff. I just do not have a steak. I have a meal.

Question - are you going to tell the waiter you "refuse" the steak? No matter, the steak is still a meal. It can be had alone as a meal, it can be had with any add on you want. eg salad/potato/veg but it is still a meal. In other words it is FOOD.

from what I can gather, RCI seem to be running 2 different exercises. 1 on Freedom with no regular steak on the alternative menu and 1 on Majesty with the steak still there as an option every evening.

I agree the first is an issue, which has been discussed to death and not always in an adult manner, but that is the beauty or the beast of forums!

The second option is surely ideal for us as guests? If you want a top quality steak and think 15 bucks/ 8 quid is a good price, fill your boots. If you don't, then stick to the alternative steak included in your cruise fare.

I think there are certainly some evenings where I would forego a couple of beers to have the Chops steak in the MDR or even the seafood skewer if they continue to develop this idea. One is taking options away and one is making your choices (completely up to the individual) more appealing.

I understand why people are upset about the Freedom scenario, but I am not sure why they cannot see the benefits of the Majesty version, just as long as it stays in it's current format.

Other than that, what's wrong with Peace, Love and Harmony folks!

Dumb statements like this has what kept this thread going on 600 posts.

My brother in law on our Adventure cruise 2 years ago ordered the alternative steak probably 4 or 5 nights. He is a "steak guy". He never complained about the taste or if it was tough, or what. He really enjoyed it. Again, he is not hard too please, he doesn't need a Ruth Chris steak at his meal. These are the type of people that this is going to hurt by making this steak $14.95. I enjoy steak but usually order it once on a week cruise. I realize a lot of you don't need steak but some of us as in the case of my bil do like it and need it.

I do dispute that. One can simply ignore a boycott; and a boycott has nothing to do with denying anyone's liberty. A boycott is the same as a union strike against a company, but not by the union. But then I wasn't talking about boycotting RCI to begin with, but merely registering my disgust with the need to whip out my cruise card to order from the MDR menu.

Perhaps it would be easier for those who embrace every new fee on a ship (oh! we love CHANGE!) if the lines started putting bar code wrist bands on the passengers. Then every new opportunity to buy something could be accomplished with a quick scan of the wrist band with a bar code gun. The waiters could carry them in holsters. I'm sure the kool-aid drinkers would be amused. As an added plus, it would decrease the number of cruise cards that need to be replaced because the magnetic strip was worn out.

It absolutely does interfere with liberty.

It is an attempt by someone without ownership to harm a private entity. A corporation is not public property. If they want to run themselves out of business it is not our business except as we vote our stock shares to influence the way the corporation operates.

If you do not like the way a corporation operates sell your stock, don't buy their product. Slandering them on the internet is unethical, and the boycott king has done it consistently on this thread. We really have enough blackmailers such as Al Sharpton et al, and the boycott king is just another person that is trying to harm someone else's property. He is free to do so, but that doesn't make it honorable or even fair.

jc

Marilyn, I can't really enjoy a steak without a nice glass of red wine.... ;) so without the wine it still isn't a meal. Is the wine free?

I have said before I am extremely ambivalent about this change. A better cut of meat than before and a choice to choose it or not. I can't say that is anything but an improvement. The removal of a free (although inedible) piece of meat not an improvement. The continuing changing of the MDR experience not an improvement. The difficult time the cruiselines find themselves in is not good, but to deny them their economic rights to improve their own situation by trying to increase their revenue, unjust.

I may find that with the changes that are occurring I may choose in the future to quit sailing with Royal Caribbean. However, I have no right to tell them they can't change. Liberty is hard.

jc

Archived