$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

The reason why liberty is hard, is because it is so easy to give up just a little bit of theirs here and a little bit of yours there, and pretty soon, someone else takes a little bit of mine. I don't think I should give away yours and I sure as heck don't think you should give away any of mine.

jc

The reason why liberty is hard, is because it is so easy to give up just a little bit of theirs here and a little bit of yours there, and pretty soon, someone else takes a little bit of mine. I don't think I should give away yours and I sure as heck don't think you should give away any of mine.

jc

No offense meant...just a bit of humor to lighten things up a bit. Far too many folks take things (not to mention themselves) w-a-y too seriously around here.

OT - actually, liberty is a rather simple concept, provided everyone is willing to give equally. Notwithstanding, it "sure as heck" has nothing to do with steak!

Getting a reservation at Chops is not always easy to do, especially with the new online reservations. Perhaps RCCL is adding this alternative to give those unable to get into Chops the opportunty to enjoy a very good steak. I for one welcome the change. My guess is most who are opposed to it wouldn't eat at Chops.

No offense meant...just a bit of humor to lighten things up a bit. Far too many folks take things (not to mention themselves) w-a-y too seriously around here.

OT - actually, liberty is a rather simple concept, provided everyone is willing to give equally. Notwithstanding, it "sure as heck" has nothing to do with steak!

But it does have a lot to do with slander and the boycott king. Or should I say the lack of respect for it being displayed.

I don't take myself seriously (just read more of my posts), but I do take stomping on liberty very seriously. Too bad others think that is a joke. IMHO.

jc

Getting a reservation at Chops is not always easy to do, especially with the new online reservations. Perhaps RCCL is adding this alternative to give those unable to get into Chops the opportunty to enjoy a very good steak. I for one welcome the change. My guess is most who are opposed to it wouldn't eat at Chops.

On our FOS cruise three weeks ago, neither Chops nor Portofino's seemed to be terribly popular. We were able to make reservations for both, even several days into the cruise; and, on the nights we were there, there were plenty of tables available.

We're not regulars on RCCL, but I doubt this move is give those who can't get into Chops an opportunity to enjoy a good steak. Objections voiced in this thread seem to be aimed at the principle of removing something that used to be offered for no charge and replacing it with something for which there is a charge - a valid point. Besides, shouldn't one expect to be able to "enjoy a very good steak" in the MDR without being charged?

Marilyn, I can't really enjoy a steak without a nice glass of red wine.... ;) so without the wine it still isn't a meal. Is the wine free?

I have said before I am extremely ambivalent about this change. A better cut of meat than before and a choice to choose it or not. I can't say that is anything but an improvement. The removal of a free (although inedible) piece of meat not an improvement. The continuing changing of the MDR experience not an improvement. The difficult time the cruiselines find themselves in is not good, but to deny them their economic rights to improve their own situation by trying to increase their revenue, unjust.

I may find that with the changes that are occurring I may choose in the future to quit sailing with Royal Caribbean. However, I have no right to tell them they can't change. Liberty is hard.

jc

Sorry jc - no "free" wine. Perhaps though there is free "whine". ;)

I too am ambivalent about this change. I never order steak in the dining room and even with this change I won't. I have no understanding of why people would pay $14.95 in the noisy MDR when, for $10.05 more you can have the ambiance thing in Chops.

We always do Chops at least once. We find the price to be very good for what you get. We also go to Portofino's at least once every cruise.

We have a 4 nighter coming up and I'm not sure we will take any dinner's in the MDR. I don't even know if there is a formal night on a 4 night (although I think there is).

To be super honest, on our most recent cruise on the Brilliance (TA) I did not like almost all the food served in the MDR. I remember vividly having a shrimp dish and felt I was eating straight salt. I didn't finish it - heck I barely started it.

I don't mind choice. I do object to taking something off the menu so a pay item can be put on it.

But it does have a lot to do with slander and the boycott king. Or should I say the lack of respect for it being displayed.

I don't take myself seriously (just read more of my posts), but I do take stomping on liberty very seriously. Too bad others think that is a joke. IMHO.

jc

No joke at all. Liberty is a very serious subject; all you have to do is ask someone who is or has been without. It's just way over the top, IMHO, when liberty starts getting bandied about with respect to something as insignificant as steak!

Now I haven't been able to put my finger on why I don't lurk so much on these threads anymore but this thread did get my interest. However I think this thread has also helped me put the focus on it (why I don't lurk as much). From steak to infringement on liberty.....oh my.

Thanks for the laugh....again.

On our FOS cruise three weeks ago, neither Chops nor Portofino's seemed to be terribly popular. We were able to make reservations for both, even several days into the cruise; and, on the nights we were there, there were plenty of tables available.

We're not regulars on RCCL, but I doubt this move is give those who can't get into Chops an opportunity to enjoy a good steak. Objections voiced in this thread seem to be aimed at the principle of removing something that used to be offered for no charge and replacing it with something for which there is a charge - a valid point. Besides, shouldn't one expect to be able to "enjoy a very good steak" in the MDR without being charged?

Interesting that both Specialty restaurants were so empty. This is an exception not the rule on most RCCL ships. Just was on the Explorer and one of the first on the ship and at Portofinos. We couldn't get reservations between 6pm and 9:30pm.

Have you ever had the sirlion steak in the main dining room? It is not a "very good steak" rather a cheap and tough cut of meat.

Now I haven't been able to put my finger on why I don't lurk so much on these threads anymore but this thread did get my interest. However I think this thread has also helped me put the focus on it (why I don't lurk as much). From steak to infringement on liberty.....oh my.

Thanks for the laugh....again.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks things are a bit out of control!

I too am ambivalent about this change. I never order steak in the dining room and even with this change I won't. I have no understanding of why people would pay $14.95 in the noisy MDR when, for $10.05 more you can have the ambiance thing in Chops.

We always do Chops at least once. We find the price to be very good for what you get. We also go to Portofino's at least once every cruise.

\quote]

I agree with everything you said in this post, but particularly the above part...

But would like to add the following:

On our last cruise, we cruised with my family... promised DH I would NEVER put him through that again... :) But DH and I dined at Chops one night, the rest of the family opted out, couldn't understand why we would pay the extra to dine there when MDR is included in our fare...

We look at the specialty restaurants like a Date Night thing... it's nice to get away from the MDR (and tablemates, family or not) for a special treat... We look at it this way... if we were in port for an extended period of time, we would skip eating on the ship in favor of eating in port anyway, for the change of pace...

Chops, in particular, allows us the option of a cooked-to-order steak -- which is the only way we would eat it anyway...

I agree though... having a pay item on the MDR menu - the visual of that is not appealing...

but then again, IMO, the steak option that was there was never all that appealing either... maybe it's because we are foodies and realize that the "free" steak that was being offered, wouldn't have satisfied us knowing the quality of beef that it was and what sort of preparation it would undergo, realizing the logistics behind that steak - we opt for anything but...

BTW... Regarding the EFC's photo of the menu including the steak... What I find interesting is the print below the "Alternative Menu" which denotes that those options are in keeping with a lighter fare or a vegetarian option... It was always my understanding that the alternative menu was designed to offer healthier options...

On some ships it was referred to as a "Spa Menu" and on our last sailing it was called the "Vitality Menu"... either way, the theme has always centered around healthier options (with fine print denoting such) ... while some may have selected items from this menu because they found the regular menu unappealing... the strategy behind that menu was to offer meals that would appeal to those dieting, vegetarian or otherwise concerned about the nutritional elements of what they were eating...

I'm not going to debate the "health" value of steak... just an interesting sidebar...:)

It's just way over the top, IMHO, when liberty starts getting bandied about with respect to something as insignificant as steak!

Amen to that. I was about ready to bring up the National Anthem on iTunes in order to have the correct ambience while reading some of it.

There are probably far worse songs on your Ipod....:rolleyes:

jc

JC - I just saw your name come up in the menu as I was navigating and I have thought of you often...asked someone about you recently too. I just wanted to jump in and say a quick hello and hope you are well and happy!!!

P.S.

For everyone else, sorry for the barging in...Hello to all of you too!!! Now I'll leave you back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

Marilyn, I can't really enjoy a steak without a nice glass of red wine.... ;) so without the wine it still isn't a meal. Is the wine free?

I have said before I am extremely ambivalent about this change. A better cut of meat than before and a choice to choose it or not. I can't say that is anything but an improvement. The removal of a free (although inedible) piece of meat not an improvement. The continuing changing of the MDR experience not an improvement. The difficult time the cruiselines find themselves in is not good, but to deny them their economic rights to improve their own situation by trying to increase their revenue, unjust.

I may find that with the changes that are occurring I may choose in the future to quit sailing with Royal Caribbean. However, I have no right to tell them they can't change. Liberty is hard.

jc

True JC, we have no right to tell them that they can't change but every right to let them know, loudly and clearly, which changes that we don't like. And though they have the right to try and increase their economic revenue we also have every right to try to preserve our own without having to resort to the option of not cruising with RCI at all.

As I have said in the past RCI has an entire team looking out for their best interest. We really don't have to be doing it for them. And you can be sure that no one on RCI's payroll has the job description of looking out for our best economic interest. In fact, their job is to try to figure out how they can get us to part with as much of our money as possible.

Amen to that. I was about ready to bring up the National Anthem on iTunes in order to have the correct ambience while reading some of it.

Somehow, someway, somewhere, someone is now going to accuse you of being less than patriotic. If being able/not being able to order a free steak on the menu is an infringement upon liberty, then making a casual, somewhat mocking (though totally innocent) reference to the Star-Spangled Banner is sure to be considered unpatriotic. Makes you wonder how many other inalienable rights are adversely affected by steak.

True JC, we have no right to tell them that they can't change but every right to let them know, loudly and clearly, which changes that we don't like. And though they have the right to try and increase their economic revenue we also have every right to try to preserve our own without having to resort to the option of not cruising with RCI at all.

As I have said in the past RCI has an entire team looking out for their best interest. We really don't have to be doing it for them. And you can be sure that no one on RCI's payroll has the job description of looking out for our best economic interest. In fact, their job is to try to figure out how they can get us to part with as much of our money as possible.

OB, how can I argue with anything you said, when I agree with it.:confused: I am talking about the slanderous attacks that EFC has aimed at RCI, the CEO and the forum members calling us kool aid drinkers. I have no problem with anyone stating they don't like something. I have stated I am ambivalent about this change. I said that taking away something is not good. Having the choice to buy some better is.

From that people think that I have an opinion that we have no right to tell RCI they are doing something we don't like. I do not believe that in any shape form or fashion. One of the primary liberties that I love is freedom of expression. My disagreement comes with the way that some people try to use this forum to cause harm to someone else. That is wrong and no justification of the ends and means will change that. Period. :cool:

jc

FC, send me an email, and lets get caught up. You are greatly missed in this forum!!!!:D

• Administrators
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks things are a bit out of control!

Let's attempt to stay on topic here. Steak. $14.95. In the MDR.

Laura

I read on another site the reported reason the steak charge was started on the Majesty is that they dont have a Chops and really dont have room to put one on the ship.

Sounds like the regular alternative selection is still offered. This does not sound too bad when look at it from that angle.

The Freedom, there is no excuse because they have a Chops and the included alternative is gone.

Interesting that both Specialty restaurants were so empty. This is an exception not the rule on most RCCL ships. Just was on the Explorer and one of the first on the ship and at Portofinos. We couldn't get reservations between 6pm and 9:30pm.

Have you ever had the sirlion steak in the main dining room? It is not a "very good steak" rather a cheap and tough cut of meat.

We were on the Liberty 2 weeks ago and went to Chops and Portofinos. Both restaurants were empty, though I would say Chops had more of a crowd. We were there at 7:30 pm.

Each previous cruise that we have taken it was a hassle to get reservations to either restaurant. In fact, a few times we could not get in at all. This year you could walk up and most likely get a seat. Surpised us as we thought of it as an alternative to the mediocore (IMO) food in the MDR

My brother in law on our Adventure cruise 2 years ago ordered the alternative steak probably 4 or 5 nights. He is a "steak guy". He never complained about the taste or if it was tough, or what. He really enjoyed it. Again, he is not hard too please, he doesn't need a Ruth Chris steak at his meal. These are the type of people that this is going to hurt by making this steak $14.95. I enjoy steak but usually order it once on a week cruise. I realize a lot of you don't need steak but some of us as in the case of my bil do like it and need it.

Sky616 - Yes. The fact here is that your brother in law ALREADY PAID for the steak on the alternative menu, and shouldn't be cheated out of it to make up RCL's losses elsewhere.

It's traditionally been part of the cruise menu, so he wasn't asking for anything new: He simply enjoyed what has typically been provided. That sounds perfectly reasonable, doesn't it?

Yet the KoolAid Kontingent would defend taking that steak away; you'll find several comments from people proclaiming the alternative menu steak is no loss because THEY don't like it! Astounding arrogance. :rolleyes:

What's really remarkable is that posts in the beginning of this thread tried to spin the $14.95 steak scam as "an additional choice," and insisted again and again that "more choices are always good."

But now the truth is out; on Freedom, RCL didn't just add the $14.95 steak, it took away the no-charge on. And taking away the no-charge steak actually REDUCES choices. ;)

So the KoolAiders' true nature emerged: Instead of holding to their principles ("more choices are always good") and concluding that the $14.95 steak switch maybe was a bad thing thing, they chose instead to just belittle the quality of the no-charge steak ... and dismissively act as if it was no loss at all.

No loss except, of course, to the people who LIKED it. People like your brother in law. He's not alone, either; clearly there are many such people, or RCL wouldn't have bothered offering it all these years. We don't find "filet of yak vindaloo in cognac/cheese sauce" on the alternative menu because people wouldn't want it ... but many cruisers evidently DO want the no-charge steak.

So you decide: Do Fain's apologists have any right to decide for other cruisers whether the steak is a valuable amenity or not? Do they have any right to decide for YOU whether YOUR favorite amenities are important or not?

:D

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

I gotta say....EFC....I agree with you on some points but your posts are OVER THE TOP! I do think the RCI cheerleaders are out in full force and also don't agree with the $14.95 charge for steak in the MDR. HOWEVER.....calling it a scam is a bit of a stretch. RCI has reduced choices and I don't like it and I personally won't pay for the steak but it is their company.

Personally on pure principle....if I felt the desire for a good steak I would enjoy one in port rather than pay for it in the MDR....but thats just me. I agree.....it starts with a charge for steak and before you know it the MDR becomes a charge restaurant.

I also agree that your posts are hard to read with the font color you have chosen and are much too lengthy. KEEP it SIMPLE!

Archived