Only 8 Hours in Naples: What would you go to see?

You are right to factor in the short day because it does really limit your options. If you like ruins, you can easily do a visit to either Pompeii or Herculanium, and both of those can be done pretty cheaply on your own. The Circumvesuviania Train line between Naples and Sorrento has stops at both Ercolano Scavi (Herculanium) and Pompeii Scavi. In fact, you could do either of these sites and be back on board for lunch (save even more money). Capri can be done in that time, but you are going to really have your visit to the island curtailed since you need to allow 50 min each way for the ferries, plus sufficient time to deal with the funicular lines (both ways).

Hank

Ship docks at 8:00a.m. Boarding at 3 and sails at 6. Not much time. What would you go see? Does anyone know of an abbreviated tour for the time constraints described? Thanks

Richard - why do you need to be on board 3 hours before you sail? Usually it is 1/2 hour before (although we always aim for 1 hour before). Then you can squeeze another hour out of your visit, and enjoy 9 hours on shore.

Pompei is a very popular spot, and definitely worth a visit. But my favourite place on earth has to be the Amalfi Coast. Not sure if its doable with your timelines. Perhaps if you do a private tour.....

If I only had such a short time in Naples, I would simply go the Archeology Museum (if the new metro line extension is finished, it will take you from the port directly there). This is one of the great museums of the world.

Ship docks at 8:00a.m. Boarding at 3 and sails at 6. Not much time. What would you go see? Does anyone know of an abbreviated tour for the time constraints described? Thanks

You should double check your ship schedule. If you dock at 8:00, figure you can be off by 9:00 at the latest. If they sail at 6:00, I think you can plan for a 5pm return, that gives you a little more then 8 hours. We did had a reasonable tour of Amafli and Pompeii in 8 hours. If you keep Pompeii short and also resist doing a long lunch you could see the two big highlights with buffer for traffic easily in 8 hours. I think you'd have to go private tours to make the best of your time.

We had another couple do it themselves and managed Capri and Pompeii at this stop. But they said you need to plan the ferries very very very carefully!

Happy Planning

We took the hydrofoil over to Sorrento then the hydrofoil to Capri (we did take a tour offered there and went up to Ana Capri as well) and had enough time for both.

Som

...have posted this before but its a good warning...we did the ferry to Capri...it was right next to our cruise ship...took the fast one back and it docked at another pier miles from our ship...we could not find a cab and had to walk back to the ship....could be scary if you are short of time...just check which dock you are at so you return to the same one

We took the hydrofoil over to Sorrento then the hydrofoil to Capri (we did take a tour offered there and went up to Ana Capri as well) and had enough time for both.

Som

Just a warning.. if the waves are more than a ripple, they hydrofoils do not sail. this might me a problem if you are on a tight schedule.

...have posted this before but its a good warning...we did the ferry to Capri...it was right next to our cruise ship...took the fast one back and it docked at another pier miles from our ship...we could not find a cab and had to walk back to the ship....could be scary if you are short of time...just check which dock you are at so you return to the same one

I have posted info on the two different Naples ports on several ocassions, but it quickly gets lost in the tons of info on this board. The pier next to the cruise ships is called "Molo Beverello" which is what you want when you are buying your return ticket on Capri. The other port (about a mile from the ships) is called "Mergellina.'

Hank

I have posted info on the two different Naples ports on several ocassions, but it quickly gets lost in the tons of info on this board. The pier next to the cruise ships is called "Molo Beverello" which is what you want when you are buying your return ticket on Capri. The other port (about a mile from the ships) is called "Mergellina.'

Hank

Hank: Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure that many people found out (too late) that they were returning to the wrong pier. thanks again.

If I only had such a short time in Naples, I would simply go the Archeology Museum (if the new metro line extension is finished, it will take you from the port directly there). This is one of the great museums of the world.

Thank you for the tidbit about the new metro line extension. We were in Naples last August and went to Pompeii --- absolutely fascinating; took the tour with RCI and enjoyed it and the ride very much.

Had time in Naples for a wonderful pizza and Italian beer and, of course, some gelato..

Next summer we would love to go to the Museum and then walk around the area where all the shops and restaurants are located (can't remember the name of the district right now). Taking the metro up to the Museum then doing our walking back would be a perfect fit.

Kathy:)

Som

Hello,

I was wondering how far by hydrofoil it was to get to sorrento. We are going in 2 weeks and already the swim at sorrento is sold out. We thought about doing on our own, but I m not sure. Is there also a train? I keep hearing that the trains in Naples are not reliable and keep going on strike?

thanks

Alec

There are jet boats (not sure about hydrofoils) that run between Naples and Sorrento (it should take about 35 min one way) but I am not sure of the current schedule or frequency. There are trains between Naples and Sorrento that run about every thirty minutes (all day long) and take approximately 1 hour 5 min for the trip (one-way). These trains are part of the private Circumvesuviania Line (the same train also has stops for the ruins at both Herculanium and Pompeii) and you get the train at the Naples train station which is a little more than a mile from the cruise ships. We have found the trains to be very reliable on this line, which is not part of the government owned and operated Trenitialia Line.

Hank

as0si: Thanks for the suggestion but as it turns out, we'll be there on a Tuesday and it's closed on --- Tuesdays. Oh well ...

Hello,

I was wondering how far by hydrofoil it was to get to sorrento. We are going in 2 weeks and already the swim at sorrento is sold out. We thought about doing on our own, but I m not sure. Is there also a train? I keep hearing that the trains in Naples are not reliable and keep going on strike?

thanks

Alec

Alec -

It is totally easy and reliable to take the hydrofoils -- we just did it three weeks ago. Trip from Sorrento to Naples was about 40 minutes, and the hydrofoil docks right near the waterfront area for swimming in Sorrento and right near the cruise ship terminal in Naples. A note about swimming in Sorrento -- there is a very thin strip of beach. People line beach chairs up along docks that stretch out into the water, or along the concrete sidewalk. And you will be cheek to jowl with your neighbors -- it is not the beach experience I am used to! But if you want to give it a try, note that there is a free section right between sections where you have to pay. If you don't need a bath house, you will get the same experience in the free section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We caught the train to Pompei to visit the ruins and afterwards we caught the train onwards to Sorrento and had an amazing Pizza whilst being seranaded by a violionist, vistied a shop to try out the various local lemon liquers before buying and we both got rather tipsy on free samples lol. Then a walk to the hydrofoil for a cruise back to Naples all easily done.Visit this web site tells you in how to get to Pompeii etc in words and photos very very useful.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

One last tip as soon as you get to Sorrento got to the hydrofoil peir and buy a ticket, that way if there is going to be a problem you can easily still catch a train back and it will remove the worry of getting back on time as with any independent trip you need a back up plan to get back to the ship.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Bill

I would say either Capri, Sorrento or Pompeii.

If history is your thing, most definately choose Pompeii. I personally think it is huge and while using a tour guide would shorten it, if you use the audio guide and really explore you won't be able to combine this with another stop without feeling rushed. If you opt for the tour(many operators/historians at the gate area and many very good), split the day in half and travel on to Sorrento, the last stop on the circumvestuviana.

If you would like to experience a wonderful Italian town with beautiful views, some lovely walking and shopping, I would choose Sorrento. The hydrofoil cruises the beautiful coastline from Naples( 35 min) and you land right below the town square. Beware the stairs up can be a killer if you're not in the best shape but buses/taxis are available. There are "beaches" right near the ferry stop but as someone already mentioned, a beach is a pier with chairs lined up ...not my idea of a beach stop but it can be added to the day in Sorrento easily. If you were to do lunch, explore the area around the main square, shop if you want and add a "beach stop", i think you'll be very satisfied with your chocie and the day will be pretty relaxing yet a nice slice of Italy. Oh and have gelato (Davide's)!!!!

If stunning views are your thing, then Capri would be the best bet. Boat owners will approach you for an island tour (2-3hrs) around the island seeing the various grottos...many are small boats for a reasonable price. Take the funicular up to Capri where the views are unmatched, alot of restaurants with stunning views right near the funicular stop and a very nice but expensive shopping area. There is also a small beach (rocky) right near the ticket area at the end of the docks if you want to throw in a beach stop.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of these choice. The train station is not right near the dock, so i personally would take a cab if choosing this. The ferries to Capri and Sorrento are literally right there. When b uying a return ticket make note that you want the mollo beverallo stop ( the one you left from)..there are MANY ferries in both sorrento and capri at the docks and the ticket purchasing in Sorrento can be confusing since several windows are selling to the same desitination (different companies). Personally we used the ALILAURO line for all transportation to and from Naples, Sorrento and Capri. Google it and you can check schedules. In July they ran quite regularly!

I just found this quote a few days ago and thought it might be helpful for folks:

Hello,

drive people around is my job, but my suggestion is to take hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento, take a ferry to Positano and after back to Sorrento have small tour of Sorrento and from Sorrento take the train to Pompei (Circumvesuviana) in 40 min. you are in Pompei.

The entrance of the ruins is just in front of the train station, in the end of the tour in pompei take tain to Naples and in 5 min. by taxy you are back on board.

Best Regards

CIAO CIAO

FROM SORRENTO:) :) :) :)

Very cute and sounds like a fun and relatively inexpensive way to see the majority of the fun stuff. I think I will follow this plan!

:rolleyes: Cathy

Archived