Vancouver Flight After Cruise

go sea

12:30 vs 1:30?!? Oh boy... we booked DH and my mom's husband on a 10:30 am flight as it was our only feasible option on that particular day. Guess I'll be checing out that link you kindly provided!

I called Celebrity (that's who we're sailing to Alaska) and in order to use their bus transfer your flight cannot depart any earlier than 11am. If a cruise line feels that can't safely get me there before 11, I know I can get a taxi or a limo or something that can get me there in time for 1030 since they have to load the bus and all that silliness.

12:30 vs 1:30?!? Oh boy... we booked DH and my mom's husband on a 10:30 am flight as it was our only feasible option on that particular day. Guess I'll be checing out that link you kindly provided!

I called Celebrity (that's who we're sailing to Alaska) and in order to use their bus transfer your flight cannot depart any earlier than 11am. If a cruise line feels that can't safely get me there before 11, I know I can get a taxi or a limo or something that can get me there in time for 1030 since they have to load the bus and all that silliness.

If your flight is too early for the cruiseline transfers, then your flight is too early to use US Direct as you HAVE to use cruiseline transfers to be able to participate in US Direct.

You do realize that you will not only have to go through Canadian immigration and customs at the pier but you will also have to go through US immigration and customs at the airport before you can board your flight?

I've flown home from Vancouver several times, most recently last year... that airport and cruise terminal are a ZOOO... you have to go through 2 lines to check in... I would call the airline and just beg them to change your flight to a later one even if you have to pay a fee bec. if they miss the first one they could be stuck for a while. We had 12:30 flight last year and it was close.. they hd no more "US Direct" spots left and lines were horrendous.. we got to the airport at about 9:45 and weren't at our gate till 11:45!

Here are the logistics, your ship will get in about 7 am. By the time the paper work is all done the first pax will disembark about 8 am. You will need to get your bags a clear Canadian customs which will take about 30 mins, say 8:30. You will have to wait for a cab for 30 to 60 mins. Even if you are lucky and are in a cab by 9 am you have a 30/35 min to airport so you will be there at 9:30 at best. For a interational flight you need to be there 2 hours pre flight to clear US customs and secruity. 10:30 can not be done....sorry.:mad:

Unless Vancouver has changed their system since our Alaska cruise a few years ago, I would definitely go for the later flight. A lot depends on how many cruise ships are disembarking their passengers that day, but I will say I have never had a worse experience in an airport as we did in YVR, and that includes flying out of London four days after the terrorist threat there in 2006.

I do understand about going through customs, etc. In order to get the guys home, at the time I booked the flights (this could have changed since then) the only feasible option was the 10:30 am. They have two connecting flights to get back to Kentucky that day. I am looking into all of the possible options I can use to get them there on time but without any other reasonable choices (can't remember specifics- I think one was exorbitant, like several hundred dollars pp one way and the other didn't arrive until the next day) we were quite frankly stuck. I even looked into departures from Victoria and Seattle but nothing could be worked out that would be any better/cheaper/faster/more doable.

The limo isn't out of the question...

I would recommend a flight the next day if the connections don't work for you. I sincerely doubt that even a limo is going to get them to the airport for a 10:30 flight. You may want to consider a transfer to Seattle, a stay in a Seattle airport hotel then a flight out the next day if that is less expensive then an overnight in Vancouver.

I appreciate everyone's input... I am not entirely sure what we're going to do at this point as none of our options are appealing. Before booking the cruise I did investigate flight options to/from LA and to/from Vancouver. It certainly seemed at the time that there were enough good choices. Now, whether all the good flights leaving Vancouer have been cancelled or booked up or some just aren't showing up because they won't work to get us a connecting flight, I can't say. I know that our AA trip from KY to NYC and then San Juan to KY for a repositioning cruise has been changed about 6 times already and we've still got 7 weeks to go. Maybe they'll change the departure time to 11 :)

DH has to return to work early afternoon (non negotiable) the day after they arrive that's why we chose not to book a next day flight.

If you absolutely have to be somewhere the next day, you are really risking it by trying for that early of a flight. If you miss it (and that is a possibility), you are unlikely to get on a flight later that day.

So you are looking for a flight on May 24th from YVR to LA, correct?

Why not AA flight 6937 which departs at 12:30pm and is operated by Alaska Airlines?

Or AA flight 6940 (operated by Alaska) which departs at 5:30pm?

Or AA flight 6952 (operated by Alaska) which departs at 7:58pm?

On the AA/Alaska codeshares check out both websites to see which one is cheaper.

United has flights to LAX at 1:16pm, 5:20pm and 6:35pm

Air Canada also has nonstops in the afternoon.

It sounds like though you are trying to fly somewhere else other than LA. If that is the case, then you need to be pricing out multi-city flights rather than trying to get a roundtrip into LA, and catching a one-way back to LA from Vancouver.

Hi Wrona,

Have you flown to/from LIT/YVR? If so, who did you fly with and how did it work out? I'm looking at May 9 & May 25 next year. As you well know, "you can't get there from here :D !". Everything I've looked at so far is either too early or includes 2 layovers.

I know it's early, but I like to get my ducks in a row asap :) !

Thanks for any info you or anyone can give me,

Hi Wrona,

Have you flown to/from LIT/YVR? If so, who did you fly with and how did it work out? I'm looking at May 9 & May 25 next year. As you well know, "you can't get there from here :D !". Everything I've looked at so far is either too early or includes 2 layovers.

I know it's early, but I like to get my ducks in a row asap :) !

Thanks for any info you or anyone can give me,

I haven't done it yet but I'm booked for May 29th:D I managed to catch 1st class on American using Frequent Flyer miles. I leave on the 6:55am flight to DFW, have a little more than a 2 hour connection at DFW, flight to YVR departs at 10:35 and gets in at 12:40. Return is through DFW as well, again with a 2 hour layover. AA has a lot of options through both DFW and ORD. If you are flying home the day of your cruise, they have a 2pm departure for DFW that is perfect for after a cruise. Continental also has some good options through IAH. The one thing with Continental is the latest return flight is at 11:35 which I wouldn't be comfortable with after a cruise so I'd recommend staying over a day. I personally wouldn't trust United but they also have some 1 stop options. Otherwise you'll be doing 2 stop flights.

Your other option is Southwest into Seattle but you definitely have to give yourself at least 1 day pre and post to get to and from Seattle.

Thanks, Wrona!

We're looking at the American flights, too. I'm NOT a morning person, so was trying to avoid an early morning flight. I guess it's not possible :( . If we have to be at LIT at 5 AM I might as well not even go to bed :D !

We thought about going through Seattle, but it just seemed like too much trouble, even though we might have saved a few bucks.

I appreciate your help. I have no trouble booking cruises or hotels, but put an airline schedule in front of me and I get the "deer in the headlights" look :eek: !

American has some afternoon flights through DFW that would get you into YVR at 7:20pm. You might consider that option. You can always email me at wrpcruiser at yahoo dot com and I can offer suggestions. Just remember to put CC in the subject line the first time you email me.

Archived