Capt. Carl Smith on Journey

slotl

We were on the last Journey voyage to Bermuda last year. We were fortunate to be selected for Dinner with the "Captain" we were "befriended" by the Staff Captain, Carl Smith at dinner. Capt. Smith ran infomal sessions on the top deck at night to show us how to navigate using stars. He had a wonderful "tag line" for when ships you command "run aground" in the "olden days". It was "......and then they name a reef after you".

The lectures were amazing!! He was young, funny, and a wonderful "people person". We found out from him that at the end of our cruise when all passengers had disembarked and before the new passengers embarked, he would become the Captain of the Azamara Journey. He was 32 years old. He was Captain of an EZCruise ship prior to working for Azamara. He told us stories about how the Azamara cruise line was formed and how they selected their staff.

We are booked on the Quest in April, 2009, but I would love to hear from anyone else who has stories about Captn. Smith.

We sailed with Captain Smith to Antarctica from Valpairaso ending up in Buenos Aires in January. He was as excited and enthusiastic about everything we saw as we were. I have never sailed with a Captain who was as outgoing and approachable as him.

We were fortunate to sail on back to back cruises with Captain Smith in July (Baltics and Norway). He is the friendliest and most approachable captain I have ever sailed with and his enthusiasm for what he does is infectious. Norway was filled with absolutely stunning scenery and the captain absolutely reveled in it. I was up early one morning, just relaxing in the cabin, when Captain Smith came on the P.A. and said, "Anyone who can hear my voice needs to come up on deck now. Neither the pilot nor I have ever seen this before." Well, I forgot about showering and quickly threw on some clothes and headed up on deck. Awaiting us early risers was an incredible scene: glacial waters so still that you thought you were sitting on a mirror. A low mist kissed the water's surface, creating a simultaneously eerie and exquisite sight. I will always treasure that scene. Then, of course, Captain Smith shares so much of what he does on the job--and no one has the nautical knowledge to understand any of it, but we all love that he loves what he does.

I wish he could be cloned; every ship deserves a Captain Carl Smith.

• 1 month later...

We had the good fortune to cruise on the Journey from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via Cape Horn over the holidays last year. We spent an exciting New Year's Eve circling Cape Horn Island and were about 1/4 mile south of the Cape itself at the stroke of midnight! On the way through the Straits of Magellan Capt. Smith announced that we were deviating from our course to move up a small fjord he knew about in order to visit the face of Girabaldi glacier. We did so and was that a thrill. He even launched a boat to pick up a large piece of the glacier which they floated in the swimming pool until it melted.

He was a very knowledgeable, approachable fellow. He had his Czech wife aboard with him. She sat at our table with our Czech friends on New Year's Eve.

Our Journey trip was so enjoyable that we've signed up for the Barcelona/Miami T/A this December 2008. We hope Capt. Smith is still aboard.

My grandaughter and I were lucky enough to travel with Captain Smith in August of this year..he is the most delightful enthusiastic man I have met in a long time..he is from the Isle of Man and as we passed it one evening he called us all up on deck as his wife and 3 year old son were waving flashlights at us and the Captain sounded the horn as we circled..what a charming man..I really look forward to traveling with him again!

Jancruz1

We were on the last Journey voyage to Bermuda last year. We were fortunate to be selected for Dinner with the "Captain" we were "befriended" by the Staff Captain, Carl Smith at dinner. Capt. Smith ran infomal sessions on the top deck at night to show us how to navigate using stars. He had a wonderful "tag line" for when ships you command "run aground" in the "olden days". It was "......and then they name a reef after you".

The lectures were amazing!! He was young, funny, and a wonderful "people person". We found out from him that at the end of our cruise when all passengers had disembarked and before the new passengers embarked, he would become the Captain of the Azamara Journey. He was 32 years old. He was Captain of an EZCruise ship prior to working for Azamara. He told us stories about how the Azamara cruise line was formed and how they selected their staff.

We are booked on the Quest in April, 2009, but I would love to hear from anyone else who has stories about Capt. Smith.

He was on our Journey cruise last December around the horn of South America - by the way a terrific itinerary for Azamara. He was the best captain I've encountered in all my many cruises. When we couldn't make port because of very high winds in Patagonia, he hung around and doubled back in other beautiful areas waiting to see if the winds would abate. When he finally decided the winds would go on until the next day, he promised he would find something else.

He found a most fabulous sight, A place where there were glaciers on three sides, and ice floes the size of a small boat. He turned the boat around 360 degrees in this area so everyone could see all sides of this magnificent area, and had crew members go in a small boat to pick up a smaller ice floe and bring the ancient ice back onto the pool deck so all could see and touch it. This was a truly memorable experience.

On my next cruise I will be on Quest in Southeast Asia, and unfortunately Carl Smith will not be the captain. Too bad!

We couldn't agree more with these wonderful observations of Cap'n Carl.

Hopefully, he will be in command of Journey next October through the Holyland. I believe I read on one of the forums earlier this year that there was a replacement captain on Journey for a while (a Norwegian, I believe), so I am hopeful he has returned or will return.

One afternoon in Santa Marta, he took some quiet time on the forward Deck 11 (I think it's 11) for some reading on a deck chair (on his stomach no less, with legs raised, presumably checking wind direction). Later in Santa Marta, just prior to departure, he approached us at the stern and explained why the port guards were checking the ship exterior at the waterline - they were looking for contraband (as in "parasite" style, fastened to the hull), or worse.

He took the time to explain in every port how he was approaching the mooring, or the departure, and why he was doing it in that manner (one time indicating that he hadn't quite done a particular maneuver before - I think it was in Labadee).

We talked about the Isle of Man (which is not part of the UK, for those who did not realize it), and his previous commands on freighter runs from SA to Europe. He said that if the company ever asked him to command a larger vessel, he would resign - he really like the R-class vessels.

I was particulalry impressed with his concern for pax safety in view of the slippery floor problem in Breezes, remarking to his restaurant manager that the temporary fixes were "totally unacceptable".

At the Capn's Club gathering he spent considerable time with as many guests as he could. It was clear from the farewell gathering that he had excellent rapport with crew and pax alike, posing for several pictures. He is a real gem, and we wish him smooth sailing and hope to sail with him again.

Cabo

I just returned from the 10/11 sailing of the Quest. I was told onboard that Capt. Smith will be joining the Quest in November when the current captain takes a break but I don't know for how long or if it's permanent. I believe this is accurate but if anyone can confirm it.....

possibly he is going to do the Asia trip assuming the holiday relief is the usual 3 months - this is great news if he is as I have read so much about him and had hoped we might sail with him - fingers crossed we will be lucky

A

• 1 month later...
I just returned from the 10/11 sailing of the Quest. I was told onboard that Capt. Smith will be joining the Quest in November when the current captain takes a break but I don't know for how long or if it's permanent. I believe this is accurate but if anyone can confirm it.....

We are booked on the Quest in April, 2009. I would LOVE to sail with Captain Carl again. I am very excited to hear your message above.

Is there any place where we travelers can confirm that information?

We are booked on the Quest in April, 2009. I would LOVE to sail with Captain Carl again. I am very excited to hear your message above.

Is there any place where we travelers can confirm that information?

You might be able to confirm it directly with Azamara or maybe on their website.

• 2 months later...

In view of the implied criticism of Captain Carl from at least one correspondent on another thread following the health and other problems experienced on recent cruises of Azamara Quest in Asia, I thought it might be worth resurrecting this thread from 2008. Seems to me that the overwhelming balance of available evidence supports the view that Captain Carl is an exremely dedicated, competent and enthusiastic officer. There can be no doubt that he would have clearly explained why the recent problems arose, and why certain courses of action needed to be taken.

Nevernever

We will be joining the Quest on april 7th. It is my understanding that Captain Carl will be leaving (for vacation) in March. I am CRUSHED!!

My friend is on the Feb 26th cruise from HK to Beijing. I am sure she will send me an email to give me the latest status of BOTH Captn Carl AND the Norovirus epidemic.

In view of the implied criticism of Captain Carl from at least one correspondent on another thread following the health and other problems experienced on recent cruises of Azamara Quest in Asia, I thought it might be worth resurrecting this thread from 2008. Seems to me that the overwhelming balance of available evidence supports the view that Captain Carl is an exremely dedicated, competent and enthusiastic officer. There can be no doubt that he would have clearly explained why the recent problems arose, and why certain courses of action needed to be taken.

Nevernever

Hear Hear!!! He is a terrific Captain! We are leaving on 3/8 on Journey and so sorry to hear he will not be there! I'm sure he will deserve his vacation! We were on a T/A in Dec. 07 on the Century and it was very difficult for everyone..passengers, crew and staff..but I'm sure that everything is done to try and prevent this from happening..but those bugs are everywhere! LuAnn

Archived