Labadee Waverunner, worth $95? or Kayak better?

DH wants to go on a waverunner during our Nov cruise, our excersions are finally available and the Labdee SeaTrek Waverunner Experience is $95. Is it worth it? I know he would also be interested in the SeaTrek Kayak Adventure which is only $38.

Also, are there any other non-RCL waverunner experiences on St Thomas or St Maatren that I can look into? TIA!

On the RCI waveruuner excursions, it's a "follow the leader" thing--you can't go and ride on your own. The faster riders are always waiting for the slower riders to catch up.

You can rent these things at other beaches in other ports and do your own thing, if that would suit you better.

I was that guy that brought up the rear on Labadee. On the one hand, I felt bad since I was holding up the group, but it was my very first time using one. I would've definitely preferred to have just rented one on my own somewhere else.

I've never ridden one before, but was thinking about doing it in Labadee in December. My thinking was that it would probably be around the same cost elsewhere, and this may be "safer" because it's guided and RCCL's equipment as opposed to some beach vendor. Does this logic track?

I've never ridden one before, but was thinking about doing it in Labadee in December. My thinking was that it would probably be around the same cost elsewhere, and this may be "safer" because it's guided and RCCL's equipment as opposed to some beach vendor. Does this logic track?

I agree with you. I know what I am getting in Labadee (is equipment safe are guides really watching out for you). That means more to me than maybe waiting a couple of minutes for the group to catch up.

Laura

I thought the waverunner tour was a blast. I have rented them on my own previously and did not think I was shorted by being part of group. Instead, I thought it was really fun and we went on a day when it was slightly rainy (the rain hurts when you are going that fast on the waverunner) and the water was a bit rough (which tends to allow you to get airborn when traveling at any sort of speed).

having done waverunners at labadee as a passenger, I wanted to add that it was a lot of fun, but I couldn't really see anything due to the waterspray- DH was probably covered by the windshield so he could see where we were going.

And as a passenger not seeing the surf we were heading into, all I could do was hold on and bounce a lot (again, driver could see and brace himself as necessary).

still a blast and we got a nice picture on the waverunner as we were heading out to start the tour.

enjoy!

We've jet skiied twice on Labadee. It was great. Even with a guide it was very enjoyable and fun. It is costly anywhere.

Most islands we have been to only book tours (meaning with a guide). On St Kitts they let you go out on your own, but pointed to show you where you can go. Same great fun!

Let me mention that if you jet ski on Labadee you will most likely stop in the ocean near a man in a kayak (canoe?) to buy handmade trinkets. We bought a small ringbox or jar-thing as we like to do our part :D and help and come home with something from the island. I thought it was a fluke thing the first time, but realized it wasnt the second and then read it here on cc too! lol I was surprised by it so thought Id mention so it doesnt take you off guard as ODD!

On the kayak tour, I have read that they make you pull into a beach where vendors pounce on you.

I wouldn't mind one guy in a kayak on the waverunning tour, but if a whole slew started paddling out and harassing us, that would upset me. If nobody pressures me, I just might buy something.

We loved our waverunning tour in Labadee. I did not mind the follow the leader thing. I found it safer to be on a ship excursion. I rented waverunners off the beach in Cabo, and basically signed my life away on a waiver. It was a bit nerve-wracking, as I have read about some dishonest vendors claiming that you damaged their machine and making you pay, or they call the police.

On the kayak tour, I have read that they make you pull into a beach where vendors pounce on you.

I wouldn't mind one guy in a kayak on the waverunning tour, but if a whole slew started paddling out and harassing us, that would upset me. If nobody pressures me, I just might buy something.

We loved our waverunning tour in Labadee. I did not mind the follow the leader thing. I found it safer to be on a ship excursion. I rented waverunners off the beach in Cabo, and basically signed my life away on a waiver. It was a bit nerve-wracking, as I have read about some dishonest vendors claiming that you damaged their machine and making you pay, or they call the police.

You are correct about them taking you to a beach where there are several vendors that pull your kayak onto the beach from the water and then take you to their table.

You also have to be ready for a pretty tough workout. Very hard on the arms if you know what I mean.

Haven't done the waverunner tour at Labadee, but have done the Kayaking.

With the kayaking you do actually paddle quite far and it is quite hard work (especially if you are heavier - more "drag" through the water). This isn't an issue if you are young and reasonably fit, but if you are not "accustomed to exercise" then I would give it a miss. The kayaks are double kayaks. One of the kayaks in our group had a rather large lady in it and about half way through, one of the instructors had to swap with her partner to paddle the lady back (since the lady was too tired to paddle any more and it was unfair to expect her small female partner to paddle her all the way back).

During the tour you kayak along the coastline and stop (floating) about 300m off of the coast of a village. The guides talk to you about the village, Haiti and the culture and people. Then you paddle back out and stop at a small beach for a complimentary drink. There are "select" (allowed/vetted by RCCL) local traders on this beach who - in my opinion - do hassle you a bit into looking and there things. Although - after a couple of firm "no"s - they did leave us alone. The impression from the guides was that "these people are poor and it would be good for you to buy something off of them". I think this is VERY wrong: I think that the group should stop at a place free off traders (and hassle) or not stop at all (you could easily drink on your kayak - no need to go ashore). Then you paddle back.

The tour is about 2/2.5 hours long I think (wear LOTS of sunscreen!!! and a hat!). You are paddling for some considerable amount of that time (to give you an idea).

Did we enjoy it? Yes. It was interesting and some fun exercise. Wasn't at all keen on the traders at that "pit stop", but I wouldn't let it put me off of doing it (although maybe I should have commented back to RCCL about it - maybe I did, can't remember). Would I do it again? No, primarily because we saw what there was to see, so it would be too repetitive to do it again.

Boo

DH wants to go on a waverunner during our Nov cruise, our excersions are finally available and the Labdee SeaTrek Waverunner Experience is $95. Is it worth it? !

On the posotive side, they waverunners are well maintained and have lots of power. I think it was $78 back in '06. It was fun and a good workout.

On the negative side, you run single fiile and have to follow guides. If you get a bunch of newbies, you might find yourself sitting a lot. Wave runners at a beach resort in a different port might be more fun. We did enjoy it though.

DH wants to go on a waverunner during our Nov cruise, our excersions are finally available and the Labdee SeaTrek Waverunner Experience is $95. Is it worth it? I know he would also be interested in the SeaTrek Kayak Adventure which is only $38.

Also, are there any other non-RCL waverunner experiences on St Thomas or St Maatren that I can look into? TIA!

You can rent waverunners on St. Thomas over by Coral World and on St. Maarten at Orient Beach. We paid $40 for 30 minutes at Orient Beach a few years ago, had a great time.

I own a coule of Sea -Doo's PWC and have rented the Waverunners twice on Ladabee, the machines are very well mantain, but the hour ride is in the ocean and for the inexperience rider, I wouldn't recomond thew ride. You never how rough the water is going to be.

If you want to do your own thing you can rent waverunners in St. Thomas (Saphire Beach or Coki Beach); I don't recall the price but they would be cheaper than through the cruise line - you would just have to figure out if you want to spend your day in St. Thomas at one of the beaches (and figure in the reasonable cab fair to the beach).

In St. Maarten we rented waverunners at Orient Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean; but be forwarned the beach is officially clothing optional and there may be some topless bathers walking around (or totally nude if you go down to the private nudst resort).

Hey guys was reading you can store your belongings i.e. waller in the front of the jetski? is this what everyone did?

It was a small compartment about big enough for a wallet and glasses. The locals working the dock encourage you to put your wallet in there so you will have when they stop at the half way point and a guy paddles out in a canoe trying to sell you stuff. When you say you have no money he points to the comparment.

Yes, I think that is good logic. After trying it once here, you will probably want to go on your own elsewhere. I've ridden hundreds of hours on smooth inland lakes and riding on the ocean can be much tougher and exhausting.

Our sons (19 & 24) did the wave runner on Labadee in July & loved it...just a tip..if you go on the first excursion of the day, (it was scheduled for 8 but we didn't even get off the ship til around 8:30), the passenger is free...it was $89 for both of them. They loved it...but our oldest said it was some work to control the thing with both of them on it, as they were flying out from the dock...they really enjoyed that the guide shared some history & info about the island while on the trip. There was a point where during a stop, guys in canoes were on both sides of them trying to sell stuff.

We rented waverunners at Little Divi Bay beach resort on St. Maarten 2 years ago. It was like $45 for 45 minutes I believe. We had a blast. It was our first time on them.

Archived