Lightest Luggage ??

karen sharpe

Rimowa. 100% polycarbonate and on caster wheels, it's not only the lightest it's also the easiest to move along. The best selling is a beautiful chocolate brown, or the newer black, it looks like patent leather and is very pretty.

There are a lot of brands that advertise as light, but they can also be flimsy. Before investing in a new set of luggage, to to several sources and actually see and feel the luggage. There is a huge difference between the cheap and the expensive.

There are a number of online outlets and those are useful if you don't live close to a luggage store, but you will pay the same amount or more than in a good quality luggage store.

I carry Victorinox, it's heavier than what is advertised as "light", but not by much. I prefer to pack lighter weight clothing and cut back on the amount of clothes rather than buy the light luggage, as it's not able to stand up to the rigors of air travel.

I could go on and on, I work in a luggage store part time, but it would really be best if you went in person to be educated. Many department stores have luggage departments, but the staff is not trained like they are in a store like ours.

Thanks KS , like you I try to pack the lightest fabrics I can but our present suitcases are 13 lbs before we even begin. I agree re luggage specialty stores but am having difficulty finding any in the Toronto area. Our department stores have great bargains but very little educated advice.

I swear by my Kipling luggage. I personally use the largest duffle with wheels style. It's been on hundreds of trips. Made by Tumi but less expensive. I recently found a bag--brand new on ebay for $170 that retails for $250. Another benefit is that it folds down nearly flat and will fit under beds for storage.

My in-laws and husband have switched over to Eagle Creek (Hovercrafts). I'm sticking with my samsonite until it needs to be replaced and then will look at the Eagle Creek. I love the Tumi & Briggs & Riley but will stick to carry-on for them because they weigh too much for checked bags:(

I have a 26 or 28" bag that weighs 11 lbs, empty, and a smaller one that is 9 lbs empty. They weren't that expensive, and have gone on cruises, airlines and roadtrips for the last 6 years--still in good condition.

Just go and look in a luggage dept---they have tons, and most show the empty weight. You don't have to pay a ton for luggage!

We just purchased Tower Lites by London Fog this past weekend - the 28" weighs in at 10 lbs. The 20" carry-on is 7 pounds; both pieces actually weigh a pound less than it says on the tags. The luggage appears to be well put together and has an expansion zipper to allow extra things when we come home. I still plan on packing up to a maximum of 40 pounds to give us some leeway in purchasing souvenirs on our next cruise. (We both love to shop!)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi Kathy,:) I checked out this brand on the net.....oh my

goodness.....I know the old saying, "You get what you pay for"

probably pertains to this brand:eek:

Its VERY expensive:eek: :confused:

This info is amazing in helping me with my research. Thanks Kathy and yes there is a Rimowa store close to me. Their luggage although very expensive looks like a lifelong investment.I will check it out!

Interestingly Eagle Creek scores high on many consumer reports re durability and easy packing but their weight is the same as my present threadbare pieces. Although I am not fond of the Polycarbonate look their pieces seem to be the lightest but I'm so used to having extra pockets on the outside for storage and the expandable compartment.

I have come across a Canadian site for Heyes luggage they have both polycarbonate(9.2lbs) and softside (9.8 lbs) in the 30" case. It is attractive looking luggage but I am always a bit leery when the prices are so low and with all the "bargain" pieces we have acquired over the years and are now gathering dust I will need to see it first.

Our Bay department stores (recently bought out by Lord's and Taylor!) have Eagle Creek, Heyes and London Fog luggage so I will have a look.

Interestingly Eagle Creek scores high on many consumer reports re durability and easy packing but their weight is the same as my present threadbare pieces. k.

Do realize that the same brand can have varying models with different weights. I just checked ebags for Eagle Creek and found 3 different 25" bags with 3 different weights--from 8lb 14oz up to 12lbs. The Hovercraft models I mentioned in my previous email are the lightest of the Eagle Creek bags while the Velocity are the heaviest.

All of those are lighter than my current 13lb (25") Samsonite though:rolleyes:

Our Bay department stores (recently bought out by Lord's and Taylor!) have Eagle Creek, Heyes and London Fog luggage so I will have a look.
I got my lightest luggage at the Bay here in Ottawa - brand name is "air canada' - and it is super light - maybe 8 lbs for the LARGEST piece. Last cruise I was way over when I weighed my super duper delsey luggage - so I moved it into this piece and I was now under 50 lbs!

I have just bought some Kiva luggage. The 24" Silkpro and it is only 8.8 lbs. It also moves very easily. Now for some really great news - this luggage is pricey however it is CHEAP on Overstock.com. I paid more for mine but the price has dropped even more!!:eek:

I plan on using this for a 2 week trip. It fits in there or it is not going.!! I really like this luggage. My daughter got one too.

My first trip in 1987, I purchased a Samsonite 26". I didn't pay attention to what it weighed, as at that time we were allowed 70 lbs for International flights.

I gradually progressed to an American Tourister upright 30" on wheels with a carry on to match. It has worked well for two years, at the 50 lbs mark.

Now for my Med cruise, we are only allowed 44 lbs on the Air France portion of our flight, so I had to do some re-thinking. I just couldn't get the 30" suitcase under 55 lbs.

My 30" weighs 12 1/2 lbs empty. My 26" weighs 6 1/2 lbs empty, so needless to say I removed clothes, and stuck with pants in basic colors of black, brown and beige with tops to mix and match. I now have my 26" suitcase packed at 35 lbs and my carry on at 20 lbs, so I still have my 55 lbs, but it is just dispersed differently not all in the large 30" suitcase. I will have to do a load of laundry, but plan to wear things more than once too.

I don't like doing laundry on vacation, but the airlines have made it necessary. Flying anywhere is such a pain now.:o

Yes, the Rimowa is expensive, but it is also the leader of the pack when it comes to polycarbonate luggage. The competitors don't know how to blend the material like Rimowa does , others blend with ABS being in the mix, Rimowa is 100% polycarbonate. I don't know a whole lot about ABS, I have a feeling it's a cheap filler to the more expensive polycarbonate.

From what I've learned about their luggage over the past year (Rimowa) it is shatter and crack proof and they will replace a piece should it become cracked. I've only seen one piece come back damaged, the guy had been using it for about 3 years, loved it and had no idea how the airline managed to crack the corner, but they did. Although we did see this piece damaged, we sell a lot of Rimowa and it's the only one that has come back damaged. Polycarbonate is the same stuff that the airplane windows, bullet proof windows and things like eyeglasses are made of, it's extremely strong and lightweight.

The ribs on the pieces are there to deflect scratches, since scratches can happen. The polycarbonate is colored through and through, not a color coat over the top like cheaper brands, so if it does scratch, the scratch is the same color as the case.

I have to say, the issue of no outside pockets is the major complaint about Rimowa, we may see changes in the next few years. The only time we have a return of Rimowa is when the pieces are unused and the people simply change their minds. The majority of people who have bought it are thrilled with it and buy more. It certainly is different for the American market but from what I understand, you see it all over Europe.

There is so much more to luggage than what meets the eye. Most people buy for appearance only without carefully checking out the features. My own personal feeling is that the makers of better luggage would do well to make their pieces in colors that aren't so boring.

A few of the things you need to consider when investing in luggage are: the zippers, wheels, fabric, structure and stability when fully packed.

Don't be shy about thoroughly looking at a piece, rolling it, zipping and re-zipping, lifting it. If you visit a reputable luggage store, the employees there have been trained to explain and answer all questions about the lines they carry. Compare other lesser brands and make an educated purchase instead of an impulse buy. Buy for your own needs, if you don't you will be disappointed you didn't get a piece with all the features you need.

Like any major purchase, it should be done with a bit of homework.

Archived