Did you know that United Airlines

dmc1025

My trip to Alaska won't be happening until 2010 but today I was talking to someone from United Airlines about using my FF miles and I was told that United no longer flies to Alaska. If I want to use my miles I wold have to fly on US air and the rep. told me she wasn't sure how long they were going to be doing that.

With United getting rid of Ted and cutting back so much I am beginning to wonder how long before my miles are no longer good (been saving for a very long time to get what I have).

I'm not up to date on what United is doing, but it is getting harder and more expensive to fly to and from Alaska.

It won't improve!

I'm wondering if the cruise lines will try to put together charter flights or what to keep people cruising on their ships.

The swap rate on Points.com is REALLY poor. You will need about 3-4 times as many miles/points as you normally would. 50,000 AA miles converts to 12,750 Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific). And Alaska Airlines does not allow swaps INTO their program. It is much better to use your miles on a "partner" airline than try to swap through Points.com. Here is a screen shot of the above posted AA to Asia Miles conversion. REALLY, REALLY POOR!!!!

American Airlines AAdvantage®

Current Balance:

Balance unavailable

Swap Amount:

–50,000

This program's balance will reduce by 50,000 miles after this transaction completes.

Asia Miles™

Current Balance:

Balance unavailable

Swap Amount:

+12,750

This program's balance will increase by 12,750 miles after this transaction completes.

In today's airline environment, it is FAR better to nail down your FF tickets and THEN book the cruise, rather than the other way around. FF schemes for other than elite members have been devalued so far that there truly are not a lot of options for using miles, especially for premium destinations (Alaska in the summertime, Hawaii during Xmas/President's week, Europe peak summer season). If you need help using your miles, please post your dates, miles you have and all other pertinent info on the Cruise Air board. We will try to help.

Thanks, greatam - that's really poor. Better than losing your points entirely, but certainly a last-option choice :(

If you are in danger of loosing points due to expiration, ether get some magazines, go to the airline shopping mall or donate to the Soldier program-Operation Hero Miles http://www.heromiles.org/.

That makes me a little nervous. I just booked our Alaska flights last week for 2009 and at least some flights were United. I better check and see what is going on. Did you happen to hear if they are canceling existing flights or just ceasing service at some point?

United has not had a large presence in Alaska for a few years. Your United flights are most likely codeshares with US Air. United is hanging by a fine thread financially. They were in bankruptcy longer than any other airline and are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy again. Someone started a false rumor about United actually filing bankruptcy today and the stock dropped to $.01 per share. Hopefully, things will go perfectly fine for you. Good luck!!!!

Even Alaska Airlines is cutting back - 10% of their flights are being cancelled shortly - http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=349 :(

There are places such as Points.com where you can swap points with airlines who don't fly to Alaska for those who do, though.

As someone who has already booked our flights for May '09, hope they let us know soon if we are affected so we can make alternate arrangements.

If you are in danger of losing your UAL (or AA) miles - sign up for their restaurant program. I just recently spent $2 at Sonic drive in and that is considered activity on my account and my expiration is now 18 months later.

You have to register your credit card with them but it is so easy!

-----------

As far as UAL - they stopped serving FLL - I doubt I will be sailing out of FLL anytime soon. I used my miles for this next trip (Vancouver and LA) and am glad I did because it is impossible to use miles these days.

We always use our credit card American Airlines miles when we travel......and I concur that it is getting harder to book a flight "when you want to go and where you want to go." I found my Alaskan cruise....put it on hold......then worked diligently to finally find a flight to Vancouver, before finalizing my cruise. In the last two months.....my flight has had two major changes. One involving flying out an hour earlier, really early......the other involves giving me a 5 hour layover vs the 45 minute connection time. So.....plan your flight early and give yourself at least one pre cruise day, then be prepared for flight changes, cancellations, etc. gg

My trip to Alaska won't be happening until 2010 but today I was talking to someone from United Airlines about using my FF miles and I was told that United no longer flies to Alaska. If I want to use my miles I wold have to fly on US air and the rep. told me she wasn't sure how long they were going to be doing that.

With United getting rid of Ted and cutting back so much I am beginning to wonder how long before my miles are no longer good (been saving for a very long time to get what I have).

United does fly to ANC (2 flights per day from Chicago) from many cities (or at least it did last month)

It was not difficult to get open-jaw ticket to ANC (return from YVR) for the entire family.

catch1: Have to fly First Class (which is a waste in United States)

catch2: Have to be bit flexible with dates (only +/- 1 day)

catch3: Its get better as date approaches

catch4: Use Star Alliance phone number - not United's.

Don't know if they are still flying now to Alaska but called three times and got the same story each time. As of today I am being told United does not fly to Alaska. I was told for now I could use US Air, but wasn't really happy with them using the word "now" and I hate US Air.

It has taken me a long time to get the miles I have and am a little scared with the way things are going that United will go out of business or stop with the miles. Now am wondering if I should try and take another trip next year and use them adding the extra expense for air to my trip, or should I just watch and hope.

Good luck to everyone counting on using their FF miles.

I just read the article referred to in the first post and than that article referred to me to another link which was not working but I did a search on Alask Airlines in the Anchorage newspaper and all of the cuts for all of the airlines are coming for the WINTER MONTHS! As far as I could see there was going to be no cutback in flights during the sumer months by any airline.

If you are in danger of loosing points due to expiration, ether get some magazines, go to the airline shopping mall or donate to the Soldier program-Operation Hero Miles http://www.heromiles.org/.

Thank you greatham for this post.

I have an employee whose first born son fell to his death from El Capitian in Yosemite in June. Her youngest son (the deceased's brother) was deployed in Iraq. The US government gave him immediate leave and the Red Cross arranged for his flights home to California to be with his family, but the airlines billed him $3500.00. We took up a collection to help pay the cost, but wow! what are we saying to our troops.

I still remember how this young man stood right next to his mother durning all the memorials.

For anyone with United FF points... are you able to use those points on any StarAlliance member? If so you might want to look at flying Anchorage to Vancouver using Air Canada. You will have to deal with clearing customs but it's an option. I've often used my Air Canada FF points to fly United when traveling in the US.

Even Alaska Airlines is cutting back - 10% of their flights are being cancelled shortly - http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=349 :(

There are places such as Points.com where you can swap points with airlines who don't fly to Alaska for those who do, though.

Just checked my flights for next May and my outbound flight from Vancouver to Seattle had changed from Alaska Airlines to Horizon and there was a schedule change as well. Since I always book a year in advance I do check my reservation frequently - heads up for those that don't, you might want to check from time to time.

Just checked my flights for next May and my outbound flight from Vancouver to Seattle had changed from Alaska Airlines to Horizon and there was a schedule change as well.

I'm quite sure that Horizon has always done that short hop for Alaska with their Dash 8s rather than Alaska's 737s.

Archived