"Not Live" from the Maasdam with Tomc

tomc

REVIEW #13, "Not Live from the Maasdam."

My cabin steward was the evil monkey god, or monkey devil. Or just an evil monkey with a pretty evil-looking face. I'd hate to enter my cabin and find that making my bed. Although, if the truth be known, I've dated worse.

well you know it would serve you right for the rubber bugs you left around the ship :p

really enjoying reading your experience!

REVIEW #14, "Not Live from the Maasdam."

A word that strikes fear into the hearts of so many people in Our Fair Country:

"Immigration!"

We went thru Immigration on the "down" part of the trip, the Montreal-Boston segment, in Bar Harbor, on the ship. If you've taken this cruise, you know the drill: Be very happy if your name starts with, "Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. We are now starting the Immigration process. All those whose last names start with A, B or C please report to the Ocean Bar."

Well, this "C" was already there with passport and white ticket in hand. Not awake, hardly dressed, but with proper docs ready for the smiling Immies.

"Good morning, Mr. Carten," she said. "Buenos dias," I replied. "Are you having a nice trip?" "Si. Peeking tomatoes an' things."

Sixty people didn't bother to show up and, after several announcements, they got it down to just a few ... whose names they announced loud & clear. Should have been: "Will the following people, who feel they are just too, too important to go through immigration like the rest of us on the ship, please get their gold-plated @'es to the Ocean Bar along with their passports."

REVIEW #15, "Not Live from the Maasdam."

There's an island I'd love to live on.

When you dock in Halifax, look across from the dock and you'll see the nicest little island, complete with its own harbor light. Down at the left there is a house just ready for me to take up residence (assuming it's not already being used for something else, like storing explosives).

I spent some time looking at the island this last trip, figuring out how I could buy the house and fix it up. There's a dock at the north end; I could have a little boat with a 15hp motor to get me anywhere in the harbor I needed to be. It would keep any fair-weather-friends from "just dropping in for the weekend" to enjoy the island, unless they had their own boat. The house, of course, would have no guest room.

I could plant a little vegetable garden out back, maybe a flagpole.

You can do a lot with your own little island, even if all you have it a little plot with a small house on it and the Province owns the rest of it. They could probably use a caretaker out there. Yeah, that's a great idea.

Would you wave to me from the Lido?

The Last Review.

This about wraps it up. The Maasdam continues to be a good ship and the crew was just as good. I enjoy the NE/C itinerary for several unrelated reasons and have already booked it for next July 11 & 18 b2b.

I had a lot of fun with the Lido crew and my cabin steward, aided and abetted by my rubber cockroach.

The entertainment was typical HAL; it's not the Broadway line and I don't sail it for that reason. I like the relaxed maturity I find onboard, and don't mind the lessening of the buttoned-down tradition.

Except, maybe, for the big spashy dinner at the end. I'd have to think about that. Yeah, it's fun (and way, way too loud) and I'll probably look forward to it next time. On my b2b, I experienced it twice and it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. No dancing on the tables or junk like that. I guess it's just the blaring loudness that turned me off, to the extent that it did. Bring earplugs, cover your ears, anything that will help drown out the noise.

Another excellent cruise with just 9 3/4 months until the next one.

Thanks, Tom. Enjoyed your review(s) very much.

We, too, are booked for our b-to-b's to again repeat these cruises next year. We also booked the August 29 Boston to Boston seven dayer. We almost never do a seven day cruise but this one is so easy for us and we know it will be wonderful.

Thanks for taking us along.

Archived