ARE THE SPA'S ON PRINCESS A GOOD VALUE  

120 members have voted

1. 1. ARE THE SPA'S ON PRINCESS A GOOD VALUE

• NEVER USED THEM
    • NEVER USED THEM BUT WANT TO
    • USE THEM SOMETIMES BUT A BAD VALUE
    • USE THEM SOMETIMES VALUE IS OK
    • GREAT VALUE, LOVE THE SPA'S

I love spas - whether at home or on a ship. It's not cheap at home, but I think it's quite expensive on the ship. That being said, I usually just budget for one or two spa treatments on cruises because it's a part of my vacation goal - to relax and unwind from life's daily pressures. You can find some "deals" if you get treatments on port days or go for the specials that the spas have occasionally. Watch the Patters for the specials.

Personal opinion only, but I think they are way, way over priced. Perhaps if $$ was no issue, but I can get the same services at home for at least 1/2 price. I just can't justify it for me. :(

But, I know alot of people use it...they seem to always have people waiting.

My experience:

Price are definitely higher on the ships and sometimes it is worth paying more. Being able to relax on your trip is worth the extra money.

On Princess(on the CB for me) unfortunately this was not the case. I felt rushed and did not enjoy the spa experience. MHO.

Diane

I've had pretty good experiences with Princess spas; but nothing out of the ordinary except for the location! The price is much more, than where I live anyway (I'm in Seattle, markets vary and while Seattle's not the cheapest, those in the east and California might be used to paying more). For example, a hot stones massage is about 50% more than I pay at home.

That being said, if appts book at that price, they'll charge it. Supply and demand after all and you can't blame them for that. This is not a nonprofit organization! I confess I'll probably continue to add to the problem by booking, because it's sooooo nice to add that to your at sea vacation :D

One note for newbies---if they start into the hard sales presentation (some do and some don't), shut them down quickly if you aren't interested. You are paying a LOT of money for your relaxation and you deserve peace and quiet if that's what you want. I've never had them continue after I tell them politely I'm not interested in purchasing products.

I love the facials on the spa, and if I can find a good special I usually have one. On my June cruise on the Coral, they had a "silent auction" on the last day (a sea day) of alot of the spa services-I got a facial with demabrasion for about 50% off the regular price. I have never seen this auction done before, but hope I see it again!:o

First of all, if you have never been to a spa at home or on a cruise and have no plans to do so, why would you post that here? :confused: How is that information helpful to anyone?

I have been to the spa on Grand Princess and on Caribbean Princess. On Grand Princess, my husband and I and a couple who went with us, all got a facial the first night on the ship. It was on special that night. We all looked like a million bucks after those facials! It was the high tech facial where they have a "wand" that they go over your face with (in addition to the other more traditional facial stuff like extractions). It would have been perfect except for the sales pitch. My husband couldn't resist (even thought I tried to prepare him beforehand) and had a bag full of expensive La Therapie products when he came out! I also did a special package on one of the formal nights that included an updo, an eye treatment and a scalp massage, which was a pretty good deal, but then I also decided to get my fingers and toes done. All said, that formal night extravaganza was $300 with tips. I was floored. Never will make that mistake again! Get your mani and pedi at home before you leave!

On Caribbean Princess they offered a Girl's Night Out package and my friend and I did that. It was a sampler of several things, massage, facial, etc. It was a pretty good deal. But again, at the end you get hit with a sales pitch to buy products. That kind of cuts into the relaxation buzz. I also got an updo and it was reasonable. I think it is worth it on one of the formal nights to get your hair done especially if you are going to get your portrait done.

If your ship has a sanctuary area of the spa that you can purchase a pass for, you should definitely do that. You will love it!

I agree the services are expense..of course we all need a treat now and then...:p

BUT there are specials....last winter on the Emerald we decided to treat ourselves to the 15 min. chair back massage....they were running a $99. special..sign up for 2 half hour treatments from the package and get the back massage free....and we were able to get the treatment the next afternoon just after sailaway since we were among the first to sign up...I had a facial and a mini-hot rocks massage. Guess if you are a not show they charge for the chair massage.

What all the flyers that come to the cabin...also deals if you sign up before the ship sails on embackation day and usually some deals at the very end of the cruise....

As mentiioned watch the sales pitches for the products.

When I made my appt I told them no sales pitch. They did adhere to this, although maybe it is why I was not pleased with the experience. Massage itself was wonderful, I just felt rushed through the process. Maybe this was the CB itself or maybe it was Princess, I do not know. I do know that if I had not felt so rushed I would have been more than willing to pay the additional cost.

One of the reasons the prices in the Steiner spas are high is because of the products they use - the products are high-grade and expensive in their own right. While the same massage might be the result, the oil used on the ships is much different than what your local masseuse is using.

wow some of you actually have good advice and gave me great ways to save money on the use of the spa's. I have decided to use the spa this next trip and appreciate all your advice. After reading all the posts I think to go on a cruise and not use the spa at least one time would be silly I think,, that's why we go on a cruise....Thanks again to all who gave me good feedback.

Archived