Granada indefinitely canceled

BJS

Just read the following news on CNBC: [quote]Cruise Lines Cancel Visits to Grenada
October 27, 2004 3:14 PM ET

By MICHAEL BASCOMBE

ST. GEORGE'S, Grenada (AP) - Three cruise lines indefinitely canceled visits to Grenada because of major damage caused by Hurricane Ivan, officials said Wednesday.

The cancelations are a blow to the tourism-dependent Caribbean nation as it attempts to recover from the Sept. 7 storm that killed 39 people and damaged or destroyed 90 percent of buildings.

Princess Cruises, part of Carnival Corp. & PLC and based in Santa Clarita, California, and Silversea Cruises, based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, were scheduled Tuesday to be the first ships to dock in Grenada since Hurricane Ivan.

Norwegian Cruise Line Corp., based in Miami, Florida, was scheduled to arrive Wednesday.

But the visits were postponed indefinitely after the companies did assessments and decided the island wasn't ready to host visitors, said Nikoyan Roberts, a spokeswoman for the Grenada Tourism Board.

"They reported outstanding issues like fallen poles and wires, and piles of debris on the streets that need collecting," Roberts said.

She said the companies would send new assessment teams over the next month to decide when port calls might recommence.

The former British colony of 100,000 depends heavily on tourism _ over 28 percent of its US$440 million gross domestic product came from the industry in 2003, according to the tourism board.

None of the 35 cruise ship companies that normally visit the island have made port calls since before the hurricane, Roberts said.

Hotel occupancy is down 29 percent across the island, and tourism officials say they expect far fewer than the 145,350 non-cruise ship tourists who visited in 2003.

Last year, cruise lines brought in 146,925 passengers, who spent US$4.4 million in the country, according to the tourism board.

Hoping to increase port calls, Grenada's government started building a new cruise ship facility in St. George's. The Melville Street Cruise Complex was scheduled to open this month, but the project has been put on hold since the hurricane.

The ship cancelations came as more bad news for people in the tourism sector.

"A lot more should have been done to get some of the sites ready," said Mali Baptiste, 40, who rents beach chairs to tourists in St. George's. "I depend on this industry."[/quote]

As many of us have stated within other message strings, the issues with Grenada are somewhat circular. They have a lot of clean up and reconstruction to do which costs money which is lost because the ships aren't there because there is a lot of clean up and reconstruction to do.

It is certain that this island will open as soon as feasible to generate some revenue. My selfish wish is that the island is able to get back on line before the end of the year. Our hopes and prayers are with her people.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Grego']
It is certain that this island will open as soon as feasible to generate some revenue. My selfish wish is that the island is able to get back on line before the end of the year. Our hopes and prayers are with her people.[/QUOTE]Thanks.

It's nice to see people who do more than think of themselves and their vacation.

[quote name='travelhound']Look in todays CC news. Two NCL ship and another ship have started returning to Grenada. I can't believe it! The last I heard it would certainly be next year before any cruises would return. They must be determined.[/QUOTE]I met a couple of folks today from off the Sun Princess. They were walking around the town.

One couple had been here before and I could tell that they were quite sad to see the state of things. To me, they don't look that bad. Guess I've been somewhat desensitized to it.

The other couple, when I asked them, expressed that they don't think the island is quite ready for the return of the ships. I was sad to hear that, cause I was hoping that they wouldn't view things too badly.

Anyway, they're lucky that it isn't raining today cause then they'd have been really depressed...

I am looking at the NCL spirit for feb.05 and I think they are already going back there. My ssiter went there a couple years ago and she said the next time she would just stay on the ship. You have a lot of people begging and trying to sell you stuff...Dennis

I was in Grenada three years ago and had no experience with people begging or pushing me to buy. I really enjoyed the island tour especially the tour of the spice factory. I did buy some spices but that was because I wanted to, not because I was pushed. I would happily go back there again.

[quote name='scperk']My ssiter went there a couple years ago and she said the next time she would just stay on the ship.[/quote]Sorry to hear that. I guess it all depends on a person's experiences on the island, personal preference, and what not.

Fortunately, most seem to like it here.

[quote]You have a lot of people begging and trying to sell you stuff...Dennis[/QUOTE]Unfortunately, that's true. Well, half true. I don't know about the begging part...

It's probably going to be even worse in the aftermath of the hurricane as people are desparate to earn a living, so please understand and bear with them if you do visit and venture off the ship.

The government, in the past, was trying to get the vendors to stop being so aggressive, but it sadly wasn't a very successful effort.

The good news is that despite their "strong" sales tactics, most will be quick to respect your wishes not to be bothered. Keep that in mind and be aware that a simple "no" will give you back your privacy. I know this first hand as I am white and sometimes mistaken for a tourist.

Archived