Cancellation Advice

morriscats

We are booked on Star Princess 10/21/08. My DS and GF have an inside stateroom. We also have insurance. My DS and GF are broken up as of yesterday although they are still talking via phone. The question is this. If she does not go do we need to notify anyone (TA, Princess, etc). I know we will not get any money back which is ok with us. DS would occupy the inside stateroom by himself. Don't want to make any calls just yet as they may work something out. Just wondering. Since we have paid for 2 to occupy that space the single supplement would not come into play would it?? Thanks for any help (before I call the TA).

We are booked on Star Princess 10/21/08. My DS and GF have an inside stateroom. We also have insurance. My DS and GF are broken up as of yesterday although they are still talking via phone. The question is this. If she does not go do we need to notify anyone (TA, Princess, etc). I know we will not get any money back which is ok with us. DS would occupy the inside stateroom by himself. Don't want to make any calls just yet as they may work something out. Just wondering. Since we have paid for 2 to occupy that space the single supplement would not come into play would it?? Thanks for any help (before I call the TA).

Not sure what type of insurance you have. Normally, if one cancels in a stateroom booked for two, and the reason for cancelling is not a reason covered by insurance, the one left would pay the single supplement charge. Best of luck!

If GF cancels before 21 days prior, 25% of her fare will be refunded, but DS will also be re-fared at the higher single rate, probably 200%. Even if you paid for all the bookings, it would still be a net increase. Financially, it would be better to have him show up alone at the pier and say she should be checking in later. And if they make up, then there is still a booking for her to use.

Insurance, as Toto said, does not cover spats of the heart, so is a moot point.

If GF cancels before 21 days prior, 25% of her fare will be refunded, but DS will also be re-fared at the higher single rate, probably 200%. Even if you paid for all the bookings, it would still be a net increase. Financially, it would be better to have him show up alone at the pier and say she should be checking in later. And if they make up, then there is still a booking for her to use.

Insurance, as Toto said, does not cover spats of the heart, so is a moot point.

In reading the question, I believe the OP stated she knew that they would not be trying to collect insurance, etc. So to answer the question, no I do not think you will pay additional fees if the GF does not show up. You already paid two fares and two sets of taxes, etc. I actually had this happen to me a few years ago. I was going on a family trip and my roommate cancelled on me late in the game. I just went to the pier, checked in and told them she couldn't make it. No questions were asked. I did not ask for any refunds and I was not asked to pay anything additional.

Janet

Janet, I agree with you on the 'just show up' scenario. I only mentioned insurance because the OP saw fit to mention it in her post. Where her assumption was in error was that she was already in 100% cancellation penalty phase; she is not there until 21 days before. Her question was does she need to notify anyone--all of our answers explained that if she does, there will be a re-fare situation. If instead, she does not notify anyone, and DS just shows up, there will be no re-fare, but there will also be no refund. She assumed the latter, but was unaware of the 'options' on the former.

Wow, just talked to our TA for "hypothetical" advice. She said that if DS shows up as a single to board Princess will cancel GF and keep the money for her fare as "penalties" and reaccess him as a single. So in reality he is paying for 3 fares? That is so wrong.

Wow, just talked to our TA for "hypothetical" advice. She said that if DS shows up as a single to board Princess will cancel GF and keep the money for her fare as "penalties" and reaccess him as a single. So in reality he is paying for 3 fares? That is so wrong.

Not sure how Princess could "cancel GF" just because she wasn't boarding at the same time.... ?

While I don't have an answer for the OP, I would like to raise another question... if the DS remains mum and sails solo, and the GF's fare is paid, it would simply be a case of her "missing the boat, right"? But.... does the cabin get billed for two person's gratuities, since it's not set up as a single supplement?

Not sure how Princess could "cancel GF" just because she wasn't boarding at the same time.... ?

While I don't have an answer for the OP, I would like to raise another question... if the DS remains mum and sails solo, and the GF's fare is paid, it would simply be a case of her "missing the boat, right"? But.... does the cabin get billed for two person's gratuities, since it's not set up as a single supplement?

Good question!!! I never thought of that (gratuities). I guess they would not be able to bill DS two sets of gratuities without a credit card for the account. Right? Also not sure how Princess would know anything about someone who "missed" the ship!:confused: I would just not say anything and see what happens.

Janet

I had something similar happen to me with a business associate that was supposed to go on a cruise with me. She and I were booked in a balcony cabin. We both had Princess insurance. She cancelled the cruise and I am not sure if she got any of her money back (I didn't know her that well). I ended up having the cabin to myself and I did not pay any additional money. This was in 1997 before the automatic tips.

My guess is that if the GF is a "no show" then your son will go alone, not pay any more for the cabin but you will most likely be charged for the second person tips. Let us know what really happens. And sorry to hear this -- it is hard to deal with these types of situations when you are preparing for a cruise. I hope it all works out OK.

That's wrong but yes, that is what they do IF SHE CANCELS, and what we have been truing to say in this thread. But if he shows up alone and says "She will be arriving later" they won't. She has to be a no-show instead of a canx. So don't say he is a single. Say she missed the plane and is arriving in an hour, or is getting her hair done, and will be along shortly. Just don't infer that she cancelled and you will be fine. Out her fare, but not paying any additional.

If GF never checks in, her account is not created and there are no gratuities or other expenses to worry about.

Depending on the line and perhaps the person you speak to, in the case of an actual late cancellation (vs. a no-show) some will charge the full single supplement to the remaining pax, others will only charge up to what was refunded (so a cabin does not cost more than a double occupancy). But yes, there have been posted instances on Princess where a cabin would cost more than the double fare when one pax cancels and the remaining pax goes as a single.

That's wrong but yes, that is what they do IF SHE CANCELS, and what we have been truing to say in this thread. But if he shows up alone and says "She will be arriving later" they won't. She has to be a no-show instead of a canx. So don't say he is a single. Say she missed the plane and is arriving in an hour, or is getting her hair done, and will be along shortly. Just don't infer that she cancelled and you will be fine. Out her fare, but not paying any additional.

If GF never checks in, her account is not created and there are no gratuities or other expenses to worry about.

This is exactly what happened when we checked in without our son (who couldn't go at the last minute). Didn't have to come up with any excuse because the check-in people never asked where he was.

Well... HAL did not do that to my brother. His wife decided at the last minute not to go (she was expecting her first grandchild and did not want to be away)...... so she was just a no show. My brother did not get tagged for the auto tips nor and increase in fare.

To the OP - So... don't cancel... just have her be a no show. (say she is too sick to travel or whatever)

Sea Island; Because saying that at check-in has, on some occasions, resulted in a re-fare to a single rate right there at the check-in counter. As others have said in this thread, this may not happen with all cruiselines or all check-in agents, but it CAN.

Showing up as a single and SAYING SO can and has resulted in a re-fared, higher rate, even though the cabin is already fully paid as a double. Showing up and checking in and NOT SAYING anything about being a single, and/or saying your missing person will be arriving later has never resulted in a higher price.

Why not just tell the truth. :confused: At check in, just say "my girlfriend and I had an argument and broke up. I was hoping she would join me anyway, but I don't think she is going to show up." At least your DS would get sympathy. ;)

"Confession is good for the soul, but save it for church"

Never volunteer information.

If GF cancels before 21 days prior, 25% of her fare will be refunded, but DS will also be re-fared at the higher single rate, probably 200%. Even if you paid for all the bookings, it would still be a net increase.

Isn't that just the base fare? The reason I ask is because I was in sort of a reverse situation. I had booked a cabin as a single and a friend decided to go with me. We added him to the booking and the total fare went up by at least the amount of the insurance and the port fees - we had to pay additional money to Princess.

Showing up as a single and SAYING SO can and has resulted in a re-fared, higher rate, even though the cabin is already fully paid as a double. Showing up and checking in and NOT SAYING anything about being a single, and/or saying your missing person will be arriving later has never resulted in a higher price.

I am totally confused. If the cabin was fully paid and Princess already received full payment for 2 people in the cabin, how can they charge more??? If the OP's son had originally booked the cabin as a single then he would have paid 160% of the fare (you only pay 200% for balcony cabins and higher). How does Princess get away with getting the cruise fare for 2 people and then charge more if the son shows up alone?

P.S. Princess actually makes out better if the GF does not show versus the DS originally booking by himself.

I am totally confused. If the cabin was fully paid and Princess already received full payment for 2 people in the cabin, how can they charge more??? If the OP's son had originally booked the cabin as a single then he would have paid 160% of the fare (you only pay 200% for balcony cabins and higher). How does Princess get away with getting the cruise fare for 2 people and then charge more if the son shows up alone?

P.S. Princess actually makes out better if the GF does not show versus the DS originally booking by himself.

I am confused (and just a little angry) if they can do this. As of now they are talking but if he goes by himself we are not going to say anything when we board as others have said and see what happens. I was also told by my TA that we could transfer 1 from our quad stateroom to DS and a name change on paper - but have a time limit to do that?

I am confused (and just a little angry) if they can do this. As of now they are talking but if he goes by himself we are not going to say anything when we board as others have said and see what happens. I was also told by my TA that we could transfer 1 from our quad stateroom to DS and a name change on paper - but have a time limit to do that?

Glad to see I am not alone in my confusion!! :confused: :confused:

That is a good question on the timeframe for moving someone to your son's cabin. I think that is a great plan because then you end up with more room!

Princess will know immediately when they pull up the gangplank that the girlfriend in not on board. Won't they ask a question or two? Rather than get embroiled in a controversy on what's supposed to be a pleasant vacation, why not just tell the truth and get it over with?

This may be the way to go, particularly if you can get at least a partial refund of the fare paid for the 3rd/4th person in your quad cabin.

Archived