The end in sight for Rock at the Opera, Appasionata and Zing went the Strings?

bonni99

Is it just me? I was recently on my 6th cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and was wearily resigned to sitting through the same shows as we did in April 2004 when we first were onboard! Yep! same three shows! Rock at the Opera was good in a strange way but the others are pure torture and we avoided! Please someone give me the good news that the shows will soon be changing and what were the shows like on the Queen Victoria?

It is noty just the shows, I have been on QM2 for three years, and even the films (shown in the cabin) were the same,

Though there may be some excuse regarding cost for the shows (personally I think they could rotate different shows between the ships) but there is no excuse for the films when you can buy films so inexpensively on discs these days.

Doing a long cruise? Again the same films come up week after week. Thank goodness there is a library on board.

Yes, I agree, I enjoyed the shows the first few times. When I did the backstage tour I was told they were on a four-year contract and guess what, it's been 4 years. I can only hope that during dry-dock they might load new shows?

We have cruised several times since 2004 and have seen all the shows many times. We, too, are ready for something new. Like, Linda, we were told that the shows would change this year. Sorry to hear that hasn't happened. Maybe there is hope for the dry dock.

Beth

Ditto for me....last time I fell asleep during Appassionata....thank goodness it ws dark! Let's keep our fingers crossed for a change after dry dock....I'd enjoy that in Dec.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Interesting point made about the films shown in the cabin- on this cruise we had The Committments which is ancient! also the pay per view movie option wasnt working at all in either of our cabins (we swapped after a few days)- so thank god we took our mini DVD player to watch a few Seinfeld episodes when we got back to our cabin late in the evening!

One improvement was that they showed the movies in Illuminations at 3 times- with a new time slot of 8pm- we often struggled to stay up for the 10-45 showing in 2005 and 2006. Quite a good selection of movies this time as well from Michael Clayton, Made of honor, 27 Dresses, The Assassination of Jesse James...

I found the new shows on the QV really rather strange. As I recall there is one 'celtic' show, which has a rather strange take on Irish immigration into London, and then there is the much feted 'Victoriana', which goes beyond wierd and descends into jingoism.

Apparently it cost a fortune & took an incredibly long time to develop, but frankly I fail to see why. I know there have been other posts on the board about it, and other posters have found it so too. I left that particular show feeling decidedly uncomfortable & failed to see what it tried to achieve.

There was also a show related to art, which I quite enjoyed due to the skill of the dancers, but I know many people commented that they did not really 'get it'.

For sure, if I travelled on the QV again, none of the above shows warranted a second viewing, so I do hope they will change them at least once in the next 4 years!

Regarding the shows we were also told that they are contracted for 4 or 5 years so will change soon. We were on what transpired to be 3 6 day voyages back to back on QM2. The TV & Movie schedule cycled every 6 days even down to the morning show with the Cruise Director dealing with the same subjects and same guests each 6 days. It was like Groundhog Day-weird. Imidway through the second period I spoke to one of the entertainment staff who said that there was no reason for the TV films to be repeated as all that was needed was to change a DVD cassette of which they have several. He did this and the matter was resolved. Well apart from the shows.

Yes , changing the TV programes is easy, so is buying a few more film DVD's, personally I do not think the Cruise Director (believe his name is Rouuse) does a very good job of managing events/entertainment Think he has been on board too long.

On one cruise I went to my cabin specifically to watch a particular movie,it did not come on , the screen stayed blank. I called the front desk, got asked if I was sure I had the right channel!. After 30 mins of calling, I was told that the person who dealt with the TV programes was "off duty" and would not be back until 4p.m - over 3 hours later.

Apparently that person could not be "recalled" to duty to correct a fault. Later I learned that he had "forgotten to set up the afternoon program".

So much for "customer Service"!!!!!

On our recent Riviera Rendezvous cruise we weren't too impressed with Ray Rouse. He had been cruise director on two previous cruises we had been on and he is just not as good as Alistair Greener or Brian price when he was on board. We felt the TV entertainment was very poor- and yes- I know you dont go on a cruise to watch TV but for us it is part and parcel of relaxing in our cabin at the end of the day. In addition, we didnt feel as if the shows-were very well planned or varied- they had only commedian on a 12 night voyage and two nights in a row, pianists, one of whom performs in the Commodore Club every night and which therefore didnt seem much of a coup to have in the Royal Court Theatre.

Ray doesnt seem very dynamic to us- and his TV program in the morning could be painful to watch he seemed so stilted...Alastairs background in Tv certainly shows when he did the wake up morning program and perhaps a history as a policeman and a dancer doesnt lend Ray to being the most dynamic and exciting entertainment director. we had rather hoped David pepper might have been in charge instead so we could have seen what he would be like!

Back to topic, when in Gibralter, on the way back to the ship on the tender, I sat next to the taller male singer, who is leaving in October. I asked about the shows, and he informed me they are planning new shows, but as usuall I did not take a lot of notice, I think he said in April next year. I do know rehearsals are carried out on land prior to boarding.

On our recent Riviera Rendezvous cruise we weren't too impressed with Ray Rouse. He had been cruise director on two previous cruises we had been on and he is just not as good as Alistair Greener or Brian price when he was on board. We felt the TV entertainment was very poor- and yes- I know you dont go on a cruise to watch TV but for us it is part and parcel of relaxing in our cabin at the end of the day. In addition, we didnt feel as if the shows-were very well planned or varied- they had only commedian on a 12 night voyage and two nights in a row, pianists, one of whom performs in the Commodore Club every night and which therefore didnt seem much of a coup to have in the Royal Court Theatre.

Ray doesnt seem very dynamic to us- and his TV program in the morning could be painful to watch he seemed so stilted...Alastairs background in Tv certainly shows when he did the wake up morning program and perhaps a history as a policeman and a dancer doesnt lend Ray to being the most dynamic and exciting entertainment director. we had rather hoped David pepper might have been in charge instead so we could have seen what he would be like!

Brian is probably the best CD I've ever met. Is he still with Cunard, or has he retired? Ray Rouse just can't loosen up. I like David Pepper, although I think I may be in the minority.

As for the shows, the ones on QE2 are ancient, too. The current entertainment company is much better than the previous ones (Broadway Bound should have been bound and gagged), but the shows are old, old, old. I've seen "Hit Me With a Hot Note" so many times that I know the spot where they will sing the wrong lyrics to a Cole Porter song. The contract with the entertainment company may have been for 4 years, but Cunard should have specified that one new show be worked into the rotation each year. Or at least every other year.

I haven't seen a really good cruise production show since Cunard and NCL (pre-freestyle) had the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers about 10 years ago.

Kathy

Brian Price has now retired. We were on his final Caribbean crossing in December 2005 and he seemed very happy to finally be retiring! I agree- he seemed a lot looser than Ray Rouse...I just don't think everyone is up to the job!

Re the shows I will be interested to see what the shows are like on the Queen Victoria although reading the comments above Im not sure I should get my hopes up too much!

I agree re the need to add 1 new show into the rotation- I quite like Rock at the Opera in a bizarre way but Zing and Appasionata could have been changed by now! I think its very poor

I agree re the need to add 1 new show into the rotation- I quite like Rock at the Opera in a bizarre way but Zing and Appasionata could have been changed by now! I think its very poor

It's strange because I think it makes a difference in which order the shows are viewed. We thought Rock at the Opera was good and were disappointed with Apassionata and the one about Judy Garland yet taken first Apassionata isn't a bad show (if you haven't seen it 3 or 4 times). But I agree it is time to change them but think of the cost involved with copyright, costumes, choreography etc etc. It almost makes one feel sorry for Cunard.

We believe Ray Rouse is the most knowledgeable and most professional ENTERTAINMENT DIRECTOR in the business.

Choices of this nature are always very subjective, I have nothing really against Ray but I have experienced Cruise Directors on Cunard who do better on some aspects of their duties. There is no right or wrong answer. IMHO

Choices of this nature are always very subjective, I have nothing really against Ray but I have experienced Cruise Directors on Cunard who do better on some aspects of their duties. There is no right or wrong answer. IMHO

We can not operate in the past. Who is currently with Cunard and is better than Ray? No one has his experience, knowledge and professionalism. These are very rare traits in cruise industry at this time.

We can not operate in the past. Who is currently with Cunard and is better than Ray? No one has his experience, knowledge and professionalism. These are very rare traits in cruise industry at this time.

It is hardly living in the past, it was June last year and the guy is probably still with Cunard AND he was much much better than Ray

Is it just me? I was recently on my 6th cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and was wearily resigned to sitting through the same shows as we did in April 2004 when we first were onboard! Yep! same three shows! Rock at the Opera was good in a strange way but the others are pure torture and we avoided! Please someone give me the good news that the shows will soon be changing and what were the shows like on the Queen Victoria?

We had "Appassionata" on the Vic during the World Cruise this year. Also, a new one, commissioned especially for the Vic - "Victoriana". It was very strange and not very good - a boring Victorian story with a very oddly costumed interlude of song and dance, more like a Madonna concert. I love "Rock the Opera", but I have now seen it too many times. I expect that the reason they don't change the shows that often is the sheer cost.

Asking staff members about when the shows will change is futile. We were on the QM2 in March 2004, saw all 3 shows, and we were told they'd be changed in 2 years. 4 cruises later on QM2, in 2007, same old shows, but now we were told Rock at the Opera would stay and the other 2 shows were being replaced that year. Back on board in summer 2008, and guess what? Same 3 shows. No one knows what they're talking about. They know the regulars hate the same shows, so they probably say whatever they can think of to make it seem like the shows will change.

Frankly, I'm glad the shows are the same. It frees up my evenings to try out new activities on board. But it's getting old to hear these crazy explanations by staff on board who apparently don't know what's going on either.

;) Ray! How nice to see you posting here!:D :D

I've met many cruise directors, and have liked few. Others adore them, so who's to say. I liked David de Havilland when he was on Crystal (these days, that sounds positively illegal!:eek: )

But then again, the shows never get old for me, as I've rarely seen one. It's a dull cruise, indeed, if I'm watching the shows! Like others here, I can be found in the Yacht Club, Chart Room, or their rough equivalents on other ships, chatting up other passengers. THAT'S what makes the cruise or crossing! But, while Cole Porter was talented, I can see how a steady diet for years on end must be tiresome.

Andrew

Archived