Sigma 10-20 mm. superwide zoom lens - how good?

Aplmac

I need a quick opinion on the Sigma 10 - 20 mm. superwide zoom lens for digital SLR's...

While in the UK, I've bought a Nikon D60 SLR (it came with a very capable 18-55mm. zoom).

and I'm seriously contemplating buying the Sigma superwide

but haven't read much or researched it at all!

Need a quick opinion/ranking from Dave or others who may have experience with this lens.

Please guys...tell me...should I buy it? or is there something similar/better in about the same price range?

In the UK, seems I can get it for around 320-330 Pounds Sterling.

I'm very tempted...

I need a quick opinion on the Sigma 10 - 20 mm. superwide zoom lens for digital SLR's...

While in the UK, I've bought a Nikon D60 SLR (it came with a very capable 18-55mm. zoom).

Need a quick opinion/ranking from Dave or others who may have experience with this lens.

Please guys...tell me...should I buy it? or is there something similar/better in about the same price range?

I'm very tempted...

It actually gets pretty good reviews.

Here's Pop Photo's: http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2258/lens-test-sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm-af.html

Here's a comparison to the other contenders:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2766/bargain-ultrawide-camera-lenses.html

I have also seen several positive remarks on various forums.

I have the Sony version of the 11-18 and am pleased with the results. The performance is similar to the 10-20, so I would expect the 10-20 to be pretty darn good as well.

You may want to stall a bit and see what the recently announced Tamron 10-24 looks like (Nikon mount release 9/27/2008 in Japan). It is rumored to be best-of-class.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0901_b001.html

Hope this helped...

Dave

It actually gets pretty good reviews.

Here's Pop Photo's: http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2258/lens-test-sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm-af.html

Here's a comparison to the other contenders:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2766/bargain-ultrawide-camera-lenses.html

I have also seen several positive remarks on various forums.

I have the Sony version of the 11-18 and am pleased with the results.

The performance is similar to the 10-20, so I would expect the 10-20 to be pretty darn good as well.

You may want to stall a bit and see what the recently announced Tamron 10-24 looks like (Nikon mount release 9/27/2008 in Japan).

It is rumored to be best-of-class.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0901_b001.html

Hope this helped... ===> very much - thanks!

Thanks for the quick response, Dave!

I'm still in the UK for another 6 days, so I have to track it down quickly -no messing around.

I don't get up here (or to other Big Countries) too often, and I sure am not going to find it in Barbados.

Thanks for suggestions re. alternatives, but time is not on my side,at the moment.

The Sigma 10-20 will be quite enough for me, if I can find one!

before buying the D60, I had one in my hands, in a camera shop on The Strand in London

but didn't buyit, because I didn't yet have the camera!

Tomorrow I start to search again

(I'm not in London, any more, and shall not be returning there...pity)

Thanks again,Dave.

Thanks for the quick response, Dave!

I'm still in the UK for another 6 days, so I have to track it down quickly -no messing around.

I don't get up here (or to other Big Countries) too often, and I sure am not going to find it in Barbados.

Thanks for suggestions re. alternatives, but time is not on my side,at the moment.

The Sigma 10-20 will be quite enough for me, if I can find one!

before buying the D60, I had one in my hands, in a camera shop on The Strand in London

but didn't buyit, because I didn't yet have the camera!

Tomorrow I start to search again

(I'm not in London, any more, and shall not be returning there...pity)

Thanks again,Dave.

I don't know that they ever produced a non-HSM version of this lens for Nikon, but you should verify that the one you get is a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon since the D60 does not have an in-body focusing motor.

Have fun with it!

Dave

I don't know that they ever produced a non-HSM version of this lens for Nikon, but you should verify that the one you get is a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon since the D60 does not have an in-body focusing motor.

I was about to give the same warning. I seem to recall that there might have been a non-HSM version of this lens.

Anyhow, I own this lens and like it. Sigma's "EX" designation means better build quality and (in the U.S. anyway) longer warranty. I don't shoot wide very often, but when needed, 10mm is great to have.

Another warning: shooting wide truly requires a learning curve. Composition skills are tested with such a field of view filling the frame with so much--even potentially your feet. Using ultra-wide-angle distortion to your advantage will take much practice. Oh, and forget your pop-up flash with this lens. It will cast a shadow at all focal lengths.

Last warning: test the lens thoroughly. I've read many complaints about softness on one side at certain focal lengths. This seems to be a recurring Sigma quality control problem as I've seen this complaint many times. I suffered similar fate with a different Sigma lens, so be forewarned.

Good luck. Email me (richyak at hotmail dot com) or post here if you have any further questions.

I don't know that they ever produced a non-HSM version of this lens for Nikon,

but you should verify that the one you get is a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon

since the D60 does not have an in-body focusing motor.

Many thanks for that tip, Dave...I was unaware of that.

Presumably if I get the HSM version I'll have to focus manually?

..which is not a hardship, given my many years with SLR Nikon F's

back in the 60's, 70s...before the days of auto-focus.

Thanks for those review URLs you provided -they're interesting and informative.

Many thanks for that tip, Dave...I was unaware of that.

Presumably if I get the HSM version I'll have to focus manually?

..which is not a hardship, given my many years with SLR Nikon F's

back in the 60's, 70s...before the days of auto-focus.

Thanks for those review URLs you provided -they're interesting and informative.

Actually, the opposite. The HSM version has the lens-based fcusing and will autofocus on the D60 (like Nikon AF-S). I'm pretty sure that it's the only one they produce now, but I was unsure if they had previously produced a screw-drive version (AF-D) that, while it would fit and work fine, would not autofocus on the D60 (or D40/D40x).

Heed RichYak's warning and shoot and review before you leave the area. Complaints about a "bad copy" was something I have seen on occasion in the forums, though not as often of late.

His comments on composition are valid too. Ultra-wide is often best when a foreground is included with the subject. Otherwise, the wiiiiiide angle can make details do tiny that it flattens out the picture and makes it un-interesting. Close-ups of people can be "interesting", but not always in a good way.:eek:

This was shot at 11mm on my A700:

medium.jpg

The depth of field on these lenses is incredible. the water was less than a foot away in this shot.

Again, enjoy your new toy...uh, tool!:D

Dave

here are my comments

I followed the advice from other respondants to a question that I asked about the D40 and Nikon 18 -200 lens. That the camera would probably by changed for a better model rather than change the lens, I purchased the Nikon lens, Jessops was the cheapest for this with a voucher code. I suppose it is a question of price -v- quality.

I am very pleased with the results so far and I do believe that next weeks cruise will test the equipment to the operators limit

happy shooting

I bought it!

Paid 320 Pounds for the Sigma 10-20 lens at Jessops

in the small South of England town of Petersfield,Hampshire!

It has auto-focus, feels nice, delivers great pics

and has a bright gold ring up front.

Serial number is 2219907

Came supplied with a bayonet-mount lens hood.

I bought a 77mm.dia filter for it, put it on straight away, and there it'll stay.

Must say though..that now I'm back from the Med. cruise with over 1,700 pics(from 3 cameras)

I've discovered that the 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens the D60m came with ..is no slouch!

As soon as I get some spare funds, that is my next lens purchase.

Thanks for the info.

You won't be sorry, not after taking pics like this...:)

Crane-772.jpg

The Crane hotel, Barbados!

BBay-835.jpg

Bottom Bay, Barbados!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I've had it now for about a month.

It's not bad really, but it doesn't 'do horizons' very well.

I wrote a review you might(not?) want to see, at URL..

http://www.epinions.com/review/f_NIKON_Sigma_10_20_f4_5_6_DC_EX_HSM_Nikon_Digital_Zoom_Lens_AF_Zoom_Lens_201306/content_448486084228

so go take a look.

N_Point-020.jpg

N_Point-011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Atrium-053.jpg

There's a larger image available by clicking on the picture at URL..

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=5876&cat=518

-and Victory's waterslide

Victory-173.jpg

with a larger image to be had at URL..

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=5827&cat=518

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very tempted...

Are you getting AF with the Sigma lens on the Nikon D60 ?

Are you getting AF with the Sigma lens on the Nikon D60 ?

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM will autofocus on a D60.

I'm not sure they ever made a screw-drive wersion for Nikon, but if they did, they are all gone and the HSM version is the only one I've seen advertised.

Dave

I'm not sure they ever made a screw-drive wersion for Nikon, but if they did, they are all gone and the HSM version is the only one I've seen advertised.

Dave

Thanks alot. I am on Sigma's site right now looking......

Dave

I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Sigma 12-24mm f/4-5.6 DC HSM lense. Would I notice a big difference between the two lenses ?

I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Sigma 12-24mm f/4-5.6 DC HSM lense. Would I notice a big difference between the two lenses ?

You will if you use filters! The 12-24 is nicknamed "popeye" because of the huge, spherical front element. It protrudes so far that Sigma didn't even put threads on the front. Instead, it has a slot in the body of the lens for drop-in filters like the ones used on super-telephotos. The reason for this is that the 12-24 is designed for full-frame DSLR and film SLRs. (The 10-20 is for APS-C sensor cameras only, so this is something to consider if you ever intend to move to a full-frame camera.) In practical use, this is not a huge negative, I rarely use anything but a polarizer on such a wide lens and they are available for drop-in slots.

The 12-24 and the 10-20 performed almost identically in Popular Photography's test lab in regards to image quality but the 12-24 came out on top with lower distortion.

Physically, the 12-24 is about 20% heavier and a bit larger.

Visually, you would notice the difference in coverage, but it's not night and day. I have a Sony 11-18 zoom and the difference between 11mm and 13mm is there, but not a cause for concern. At such short focal lengths, backing up a foot or so will negate the difference between the two.

Hope this helped.

Dave

Physically, the 12-24 is about 20% heavier and a bit larger. :eek:

Wow! if the 12-24 is 20% heavier that my 10-20, I don't want it around my neck

becoz the 10-20 is already noticeably heavy..to the point of being uncomfortably so!

While the strap is around my neck

I find myself bearing some of the total camera+lens weight with my arm, to give my neck an ease!

For general toting, I put the strap over my shoulder,instead: it's heavy,

and this is just the 10-20 I'm talking about!

And yes, I'm getting auto-focus with my EX 10-20 f4 - 5.6 DC - HSM

(Sheesh..so many letters I feel it's The Alphabet lens?)

serial number 2219907 if that's any help to you.

And btw...yesterday I bought the 18-105 Nikkor Zoom

to do ship pics with.

It's all the tele-to-wide range I need, as opposed to want(or can afford!)

I'm yet to shoot with it,but am looking fwd. to doing so!

Anyone else have the 18-105 Nikkor?

Just wanted to let you guys know that I picked up the Sigma 10-20mm lens. ===> Congratulations!

It takes incredible pictures and I will definitely be using on my upcoming cruise

November 30 on RCCL Explorer of the Seas.

You'll learn to handle it gingerly, with respect.

I don't just mean avoiding bumps and water droplets

I'm talking about trying to keep that film plane..that camera back

as close to truly vertical as you possibly can.

Don't point it up or down too much when set at the wider focal lengths..

distortion gets a little crazy, and you may get weird 'straight' lines like I did at first.

I've learned to be a bit more careful in just how I align the crazy thing

You'll fall completely in love with it the first time you enter the ship's atrium..

Atrium-053.jpg

This shot was taken with the D60 braced on a hand-rail, as steadily as possible

exposure something like about 1/10th. or 1/15th. of a second

-but set at 10mm. focal length, slooow shots aren't much of a problem

and you 'can get away with murder'!

Youi will have fun with it, I guarantee it.:D

You can get a real big picture of this shot at URL..

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=5876

by clicking on the picture when you get there

This has been a great help....I have really wanted the Canon 10-22, but I think from the test data that I have been reading that the Sigma 10-20 might be a bit better...

Dave if you get a moment can you check me on that? I have looked at some test data and test shots and it seems to point to that. (Photozone)

I'm hopeful that I might have actually done OK by waiting to find my way to this.:D

My $.02

I bought the Canon 10 to 22 a couple of months ago and really had the opportunity to use it on a trip to San Fran. Basically it captured the kind of pictures that I wanted it to. I am very pleased with it.

medium.jpg

Larry

Archived