Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

Time for a little booze cruise, for those who are interested.

Norwegian Sky

August 29 - September 2, 2016

RT Miami

inside guarantee $223.50 (plus $114.62 fees/taxes)

This is the ship which has Open Bar included. Does that include every alcoholic beverage, regardless of cost per drink? I don't have the answer.

I recall hearing that about 80% of the drink menu is included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a little booze cruise, for those who are interested.

Norwegian Sky

August 29 - September 2, 2016

RT Miami

inside guarantee $223.50 (plus $114.62 fees/taxes)

This is the ship which has Open Bar included. Does that include every alcoholic beverage, regardless of cost per drink? I don't have the answer.

Can't do this one but would like to try NCL and Sky's open bar. Is this your first? Is it fun or crazy? :-}

Can't do this one but would like to try NCL and Sky's open bar. Is this your first? Is it fun or crazy? :-}

No, I have not sailed on Sky since they made it Open Bar. I don't drink, so not a particular draw for me personally. Just call me a "Good Samaritan" for finding deals for others.

Edited by logan25

For the past year or so NCL has offered the beverage package on most of their cruises as a booking incentive. So you don't have to sail on the Sky. You can choose the NCL ship and itinerary that suits you and still get free drinks.

For the past year or so NCL has offered the beverage package on most of their cruises as a booking incentive. So you don't have to sail on the Sky. You can choose the NCL ship and itinerary that suits you and still get free drinks.

Have seen that and I've been watching for deals -- however, as a solo traveler who 'has to have' a balcony, they force you into a higher category to get the deal...and then the deal's not so good.

With the Sky offering, I could try NCL and not worry about getting the drink package deal. But I don't want to find myself on a drunken weekend cruise either. That's why I asked "fun or crazy?" :-}

I am also upset with the way Princess treated the original poster regarding their "mistaken" fare. Most of us who cruise solo spend a lot of time searching for bargains, in order to avoid paying an unfair double fare. When we find something good and book it, the fare should be honored. If they are going to be able to cancel your reservation, there should be a 24-hour limit on when they can claim a "mistake" to the customer. If they don't notice until a week later, too bad for them.

I, and some other folks here, were able to snag a really good solo fare from Royal Caribbean a few months ago for an Alaska cruise next May. I believe I'm paying $738 for 7 nights solo in an oceanview. They changed the fare a few days later, but are (so far) honoring the price we booked at. When they spell out a price for you and accept your deposit, that should mean something. Offering you an upgrade but asking you to pay more for your original cabin, does sound like bait and switch to me. A lousy way to do business, especially with an Elite passenger. I would not be quiet about this!

Pam

I agree with you 100%. The cruise line should honor the original price. It was their mistake and totally unfair to the cruiser to change it.

This is the sort of thing that makes it so difficult to compare cruise fares. With no clear indication, I'm comparing prices from NCL that include a drink package with other cruise lines where I have to spend more money for it, thus NCL is losing any real advantage from that drink package being included since it could represent $40-$60 per day advantage over the price on other cruise lines, moreso if I end up adding $79+gratuity per day mentally when it's an NCL cruise ship other than Sky.

A-la-carte pricing is a horrible mess. I hate it on airlines. I hate it on cruise ships. It's not so much the charge for things you use I'm bothered by, but the hiding of the charge you don't really think much about when trying to compare costs.

If I ever sail NCL, I'll probably have to catch one of these offers with dates that work for me and give in to an inside or studio if I sail solo...not doing a happy dance about that.

You sound like you think less than $900 including taxes and Port charges is a high price but I haven't seen a lower price for a solo room anywhere lately. Carnival used to have some specials for solos with no single supplement which effectively gave you half the price. They don't seem to have this special ever anymore. For this reason the cheapest room on Carnival and on any other Cruise Line will usually cost more than this. If two people are cruising Carnival is still the least expensive most of the time however even this can vary. My sister and I cruise on Norwegian for $976 per person for a balcony with drinks and dining package and a photo package all included during spring break this past year. The price on Carnival for an inner room for the same dates was a higher price and did not include drinks or specialty dining or photo package. So you just have to shop around. That's why threads like this are so great.

Edited by Jana60

Good for you, retta. I don't think they gave you a fair shake originally. Especially since you are Elite, and they waited so long to discover their "mistake". Thanks for letting us know.

Pam

You sound like you think less than $900 including taxes and Port charges is a high price but I haven't seen a lower price for a solo room anywhere lately. Carnival used to have some specials for solos with no single supplement which effectively gave you half the price. They don't seem to have this special ever anymore. For this reason the cheapest room on Carnival and on any other Cruise Line will usually cost more than this. If two people are cruising Carnival is still the least expensive most of the time however even this can vary. My sister and I cruise on Norwegian for $976 per person for a balcony with drinks and dining package and a photo package all included during spring break this past year. The price on Carnival for an inner room for the same dates was a higher price and did not include drinks or specialty dining or photo package. So you just have to shop around. That's why threads like this are so great.

Thank you for editing threats to threads. Confused me when I saw that.

I do shop around (spend more time on it than I should probably) and I agree that this thread is beneficial to many. I haven't given up on finding something exciting here!

The point of my comment was that -- for me to try NCL -- I'd have to accept an inside at $800-something. And I don't think that's a good buy, simply because I don't like inside cabins.

This same cruise in a balcony, solo, is $899 + gov taxes...so about $1035. That would be fine, but then they warn you that it could have an obstructed view and the promotions don't apply. Could pass on the promotions, but won't risk an obstructed view balcony, so that moves the price to $1274 + gov taxes, so now it's a little over $1400. At that point, I'd go with the beverage package and pre-paid gratuities/service charges so that the beverage tips are offset by not having to pay service charges and my total is a little more than $1500 (knowing I won't have to buy drinks).

It's not awful, but it's really not a great deal, in my opinion. Or at least no real incentive to try NCL....unless I bite the bullet and give in to an inside or studio :-{

Hope that makes sense. Wasn't knocking any line or shared information. Just making a comment.

Thank you for editing threats to threads. Confused me when I saw that.

I do shop around (spend more time on it than I should probably) and I agree that this thread is beneficial to many. I haven't given up on finding something exciting here!

The point of my comment was that -- for me to try NCL -- I'd have to accept an inside at $800-something. And I don't think that's a good buy, simply because I don't like inside cabins.

This same cruise in a balcony, solo, is $899 + gov taxes...so about $1035. That would be fine, but then they warn you that it could have an obstructed view and the promotions don't apply. Could pass on the promotions, but won't risk an obstructed view balcony, so that moves the price to $1274 + gov taxes, so now it's a little over $1400. At that point, I'd go with the beverage package and pre-paid gratuities/service charges so that the beverage tips are offset by not having to pay service charges and my total is a little more than $1500 (knowing I won't have to buy drinks).

It's not awful, but it's really not a great deal, in my opinion. Or at least no real incentive to try NCL....unless I bite the bullet and give in to an inside or studio :-{

Hope that makes sense. Wasn't knocking any line or shared information. Just making a comment.

I'm by no means an expert on all of their ships but I can tell you that at least on the Escape upon which we last sailed there are no obstructed View balconies and I suspect that is the case on all of their ships. The only category of room that can have obstructed views is Ocean View on most ships. But I agree it's aggravating to have to pay a higher price to be able to choose your own room. We were sort of Lucky for that spring break trip. At that time the promos were included on all categories of rooms as long as they were booked more than 90 days before the cruise date. Admittedly the cruise price would drop shortly before the cruise but the nice thing was it dropped for all categories so you could choose your own room at a lower price without the promo package. I wish they'd have kept it that way. I'm not too crazy about typing so I use voice to text for most of these entries on my smartphone. Thus you get to see interesting typos like the thread becomes threat.

Edited by Jana60

simply because I don't like inside cabins.

What is your views of Ocean View?

The reason I ask is I am crunching the numbers for solo trips on Carnival and NCL, and while often there is a big jump in price from Inside to OV, on a few cruises the difference between the can be very small.

With OV you not only get the natural light that some people seem to need, but if you forget to set your alarm proper you don't wake up a 10 am ready to take that 9 am excursion like what happened on my last trip.

The reason I ask is I am crunching the numbers for solo trips on Carnival and NCL, and while often there is a big jump in price from Inside to OV, on a few cruises the difference between the can be very small.

With OV you not only get the natural light that some people seem to need, but if you forget to set your alarm proper you don't wake up a 10 am ready to take that 9 am excursion like what happened on my last trip.

On Carnival there are a few 1A cabins with portholes (at the front of decks 1 and 2) - perfect for solo travellers - pricing is cheaper than an inside and you get the benefit of natural light- of course those cabins do go quickly!

On Carnival there are a few 1A cabins with portholes (at the front of decks 1 and 2) - perfect for solo travellers - pricing is cheaper than an inside and you get the benefit of natural light- of course those cabins do go quickly!

The 1A cabin with the portholes is my favourite solo cabin. Unfortunately I've only been able to snag one once.

I'm by no means an expert on all of their ships but I can tell you that at least on the Escape upon which we last sailed there are no obstructed View balconies and I suspect that is the case on all of their ships. The only category of room that can have obstructed views is Ocean View on most ships. But I agree it's aggravating to have to pay a higher price to be able to choose your own room. We were sort of Lucky for that spring break trip. At that time the promos were included on all categories of rooms as long as they were booked more than 90 days before the cruise date. Admittedly the cruise price would drop shortly before the cruise but the nice thing was it dropped for all categories so you could choose your own room at a lower price without the promo package. I wish they'd have kept it that way. I'm not too crazy about typing so I use voice to text for most of these entries on my smartphone. Thus you get to see interesting typos like the thread becomes threat.

Made some serious effort to find an obstructed view balcony on Getaway, but couldn't, so I wondered about that. Am going to guess the lowest level has lifeboats below and they consider that an obstruction. Either way, thanks for the info on Escape! And it's good to know that sometimes the promos are offered on all room categories :-} I'll keep watching and will hopefully get to try NCL someday.

Your talk to text works really well for the most part! I have a friend who uses it for texting and the messages I get from her sometimes are hilarious.

Oh, man -- that would hurt to miss an excursion! And probably something you don't get over quickly.

For me, it's not about the light (though it's nice to have some idea what time of day it is). I actually use my balcony: every morning and every night and often during the day too.

We waited for our 8th cruise to book a balcony and I've been hooked ever since. Have only sailed once after that without a balcony and it was an OV. I survived, but just barely hahaha

So...I'll admit I'm spoiled and will just keep searching until I find a good balcony rate or bite the bullet and pay what I've got to pay. When that happens, I try to use points to fly to the port to make up for spending more on my balcony.

In my humble opinion let there be light. I need the ocean view to maintain the sense of sanity and calm that cruising alone doesn't always give me. There is something almost mystical when I can see the water, the sea life, a sunset or sunrise. There's great beauty in seeing those things while at sea ♡

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion let there be light. I need the ocean view to maintain the sense of sanity and calm that cruising alone doesn't always give me. There is something almost mystical when I can see the water, the sea life, a sunset or sunrise. There's great beauty in seeing those things while at sea ♡

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Very good description of how I feel when I'm on my balcony...starting and ending the day with 'mystical' is perfection.

Wish I could do it with only a window, but that just doesn't get me to my happy place.