Lay over in Atlanta in January

Deborito

I am assuming you are talking about a "connection" in Atlanta, rather than an overnight stay. If you are talking about which airport is more likely to have operational delay issues in January, my own guess would be that DFW may be more vulnerable. But NO airport is immune - you might have snow/ice in either place, though DFW is somewhat more prone to ice storms.

It also appears that DFW/AA only has one non-stop per day, so if you misconnect, you'd be funneled through MIA on your way to SJU. DL has several non-stops to SJU, so a bit more possible protection.

Don't forget about the possibility of delay at SEA on your departure. And remember, there is NO guarantee on anything -- just mitigating possible problems in advance through planning.

I would pick Atlanta over Dallas. Dallas could be perfect in January or there could be an ice storm. You just never know.

My advice regardless of what you do is to fly to Puerto Rico a day before your cruise. That way if there is a problem you still have another day to get there.

Keith

We had no idea about the ice storms in DFW. We just assumed that the weather would be warmer there than Atlanta. We are already planning on arriving 3 days before the cruise so that we can explore San Juan and visit the rain forest. Debbie

That's a great plan Debbie. You've got time to deal with any delays in air travel and you have time to knock around San Juan.

Having grown up south of Dallas, I can tell you that DFW is way more vulnerable to ice storms than Atlanta is. Take the Atlanta route and have a good trip.

Anywhere in the South can get an ice storm but they are very rare the deeper south you go.

Chances are if your Houston bound flight cannot land due to inclement weather you would be put on a different flight from Seattle. That is just one more reason to fly to SJU at least a day before your cruise.

Archived