Vatican Scavi FAQs and Links

cruisemom42

The catacombs and the SCAVI are two very different tours. The excavations under the Basilica and the story of the finding of the bones of St. Peter is what the SCAVI is all about. You get to see the foundations of the current basilica, but I did not see anything about the original building's remains. You go under the floor of the bascilica and see tombs of people, many of which lived more than 2000 years ago. It was an open air cemetary at the time, mostly pagan which was then used by early Christians. You eventually get to the location of the grave of St. Peter and learn about how it was hidden for almost 2000 years. You see the foundations that hold up the current bacilica and are actually walking just below the current floor.

You learn that the bones have been right there except for two times when they were removed.

It is very interesting, particularly for Catholics.

I'll probably incur the wrath of several Vatican Scavi tour fans, but on our last trip to Italy, I can tell you that this tour was an enormous disappointment for us. We found the catacombs tours to be much more interesting and dramatic. The Vatican Scavi tour was so slick it reminded us of Disney World. The only good point was that we were left in the Vatican at the end of the tour and didn't have to stand in line to get in.

Whatever you do, take a catacomb tour! It is SO much better than the Vatican Scavi tour in my opinion!

Podie:

Can you tell me what the difference is between the Scavi tour and the Catacomb tour? Through whom did you book the Catacomb tour?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Over the years there has been some controversy surrounding the excavations that the Vatican undertook to discover St Peter's tomb. Here is a great article that I ran across when "prepping" for my Scavi Tour; it gives a lot of background on the excavations and the controversy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200310/mueller

Over the years there has been some controversy surrounding the excavations that the Vatican undertook to discover St Peter's tomb. Here is a great article that I ran across when "prepping" for my Scavi Tour; it gives a lot of background on the excavations and the controversy.

Thanks, Cynthia. I just read this fascinating, well-written article.

Thanks for that article, cruisemom. It certainly sheds light on the controversies concerning whether or not the Apostle Peter ever was even IN Rome at all.

Here is my Scavi review:

Tickets: This trip was something I decided on rather last minute -- I saw a great price for a flight and booked it. Luckily, traveling alone and in November I was able to get a reservation for the tour. Normally, tickets should be requested as far in advance as possible. I used the website and information given above and heard back from the Vatican in about a week with a confirmation. You may not hear back for quite a long time if the time for which you are requesting tickets is many months away.

Finding the Scavi Office: I was unnecessarily nervous about finding the Scavi office. It really is easy. Immediately to the left of the steps up to St Peters Basilica, you will see one or two Swiss Guards in an archway. You present your ticket voucher to them and they will (after scrutinizing it!) let you through the archway. Do not try to go early. I first approached them about 10 minutes before my allotted time (1:45) and was told to come back in 5 minutes! At precisely 1:40 I was let through. I walked straight ahead for a couple hundred feet and saw the Scavi office door (under another, smaller arch) to my right. I went inside, showed my voucher and was given a ticket, then asked to wait outside while others arrived. One interesting point that our guide mentioned: the spot where we were waiting outside the Scavi office was once the middle of Nero's circus. The obelisk that now stands in the Colonnade in front of the basilica originally stood a few feet away, and the spot where St. Peter was supposedly crucified by Nero was virtually where we were standing.

The Tour: Our group had 7 people and was led by a charming divinity student from Ukraine who speaks 6 languages but mainly leads English-speaking tours. I can see why: his English was excellent. He led us back inside and showed a diagram of the layers below the basilica and gave a quick history of the excavations during World War II (everything was kept top secret and only 4 engineers and the loyal corps of Vatican workers were involved) and a brief sketch of what we would see. After this, we descended to the first level below the main level: this is called the crypt level and is where many popes are buried. On this level the rooms are plenty large and there was no dramatic change in temperature or humidity. We stopped in a room with a scale model of St. Peter's Basilica as well as some carvings and pieces from tombs. On this level photography was permitted, but once we descended to the next level, no photographs are allowed. Here we got another mini lecture on the location of St. Peter's tomb relative to the basilica above it.

After a few minutes, we headed down another flight of stairs and through a special glass door. We were entering the lower level, the "necropolis" level, where humidity and light are strictly controlled. The area has little light and the temperature went up by several degrees. Our guide pointed out how, when Constantine decided to build the original basilica above St. Peter's grave, the workers took the roofs off of the pagan houses of the dead that made up the necropolis, and filled them with dirt so that their walls formed part of the support. The dirt kept them perfectly preserved so that when they were uncovered in the 1940s, the colors of the wall frescoes were almost unbelievably bright. We walked along a line of these "houses" and peered in through the opened doorways. Most of the tombs were pagan, but one may have been Christian based on the motifs found inside.

We made our way toward the main reason for the excavations: the tomb of St. Peter. The tomb itself is a bit hard to see due to the overlapping layers and shrines that were built over it in successive ages. Although there is some controversy over whether St. Peter was really buried there and whether the remains that were found are his, there is no doubt that it is a moving sight, and our guide led the group in a brief prayer. Then we stopped for a final bit of history in an ornate chapel (back up on the crypt level). Through the ceiling of this chapel you could faintly see the light from the dome of the great basilica exactly above.

We finished by walking through the area of the crypt where John Paul II is interred, then up a small staircase right into St. Peter's basilica. I walked around the basilica for about another half hour and then walked outside just in time to see the skies clearing a bit and a rainbow over the obelisk! What a day....

Other Notes: The tours run about every 15 minutes in different languages throughout the day. No more than 12 people are allowed on a tour due to the tight spaces in the necropolis -- it would be difficult for any more than that to hear the guide. I didn't find it either unbearably warm or claustrophobic.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisemom 42 - thanks for the review of your tour.

After trying unsuccessfully to obtain reservations on our two previous trips to Rome we were notified via e-mail this morning that we have reservations for our trip in June. It was fun to read about your tour and get a little insight into what we have to look forward to.

Cruisemom 42 - thanks for the review of your tour.

After trying unsuccessfully to obtain reservations on our two previous trips to Rome we were notified via e-mail this morning that we have reservations for our trip in June. It was fun to read about your tour and get a little insight into what we have to look forward to.

Congrats on getting the tickets; I'm sure you will agree it is an experience like no other!

Congrats to all who got their tickets.:) I still haven't signed up because I need to know how strick they are with the age requirement. by the time we go I will have an almost 15 year old, short about 3 months. So I dont know how to go about it or if my 16 year old and myself go while my husband stays with the other son. Dont know if it is that great to actually split us up, or will they ask my very big son how old he is??? :rolleyes: We dont like to lie. Anyway does anyone know about this?? :confused: Thank you

Like onthego1028, we will be with our slightly less than 15 daughter next June. Does anyone know if passports are checked? We aren't sure whether to avoid the tour for her or not. We haven't figured out yet if it is a double lie to lie about your age in the Vatican!:rolleyes:

Like onthego1028, we will be with our slightly less than 15 daughter next June. Does anyone know if passports are checked? We aren't sure whether to avoid the tour for her or not. We haven't figured out yet if it is a double lie to lie about your age in the Vatican!:rolleyes:

I did the quick search on tripadvisor and couldn't find anyone who said that passports were checked. One parent whose child looked young for 15 was asked verbally how old the child was.

Don't know if I'd tell a lie standing above St. Peter and all the popes, but that's for you to decide. :D

Could someone please tell me how long it takes to receive an email that they have received your email. I sent a request in this morning asking for a tour and just wondering how long it will take for them to let me know that they have received the email. Linda

Could someone please tell me how long it takes to receive an email that they have received your email. I sent a request in this morning asking for a tour and just wondering how long it will take for them to let me know that they have received the email. Linda

I waited months and FINALLY had to call the Vatican. They said they had sent me a follow up email to pay for the tour, but I never got it and I had my email filters all set to receive emails from the Vatican too! Funny thing is, the auto response got through to me. they come very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my confirmation for a tour in June. I sent the request about 10 days ago and received the confirmation into my spam filter about 4 days later. I just checked the filter pool and there it was! I know everyone sets their filters but it is still a good idea to review was hs been trapped by the filter just in case.

• 2 months later...
I waited months and FINALLY had to call the Vatican. They said they had sent me a follow up email to pay for the tour, but I never got it and I had my email filters all set to receive emails from the Vatican too! Funny thing is, the auto response got through to me. they come very quickly.

I enjoyed reading your report on your Scavi tour. We have a reservation to go in May. I know there is no photography permitted, but my question is do I need to check the camera or can I just have it in my purse and not take it out. Most other places say "no photography" but the Scavi site says "no cameras." I know we will have the camera with us for inside St. Peter's and I did not know if I should check it before going to the Scavi office.

thanks

I enjoyed reading your report on your Scavi tour. We have a reservation to go in May. I know there is no photography permitted, but my question is do I need to check the camera or can I just have it in my purse and not take it out. Most other places say "no photography" but the Scavi site says "no cameras." I know we will have the camera with us for inside St. Peter's and I did not know if I should check it before going to the Scavi office.

thanks

We had our camera with us, in my backpack. THAT should have been a NO-NO, but we were in such a rush to get there that I had absolutely no time to check it. I was asked by the guide to take it off my back and carry it or wear it in front, but it still amazed me that I was allowed to go UNDER the Vatican with a black leather backpack that had never been screened!:eek: After I had it as we walked around St. Peters and then when we took the elevator up to the top of the dome too.

We sent an email about 5 weeks ago requesting tickets for our October visit, but got no return email of any kind. I have seen post indicating that we should have received some type of confirmation email right away of atleast recieving our request for tickets.

My question - Since we did not recieve any confirmation email, should we send another request?

Thanks.....

We sent an email about 5 weeks ago requesting tickets for our October visit, but got no return email of any kind. I have seen post indicating that we should have received some type of confirmation email right away of atleast recieving our request for tickets.

My question - Since we did not recieve any confirmation email, should we send another request?

Thanks.....

Yes. even with a confirmation email I ended up having to call the Vatican a month before our sailing to pay for our Scavi tickets and get the confirmation number needed when you arrive for your tour. (See my "story" as we needed all our proof of purchase, credit card receipt etc. with us st the Scavi check-in.) Just in case you DON'T hear back, and have sent several emails with ALL the requested information, call the Vatican Scavi office:

011-39-06-6988-5318 When someone answers (in Italian) say English, please.

I just refused to give up and we DID get to take our Scavi tour this past January!

We had our camera with us, in my backpack. THAT should have been a NO-NO, but we were in such a rush to get there that I had absolutely no time to check it. I was asked by the guide to take it off my back and carry it or wear it in front, but it still amazed me that I was allowed to go UNDER the Vatican with a black leather backpack that had never been screened!:eek: After I had it as we walked around St. Peters and then when we took the elevator up to the top of the dome too.

I remember your story and how you "barely" made it in--so glad you did. Do you know if others in the group were permitted to keep their camera in their purses for the Scavi tour? I just couldn't tell if literally cameras were not allowed or just photos not allowed. Are you meaning that Backpacks are a no-no or that cameras are also a no-no?

Yes, others in our group actually had purses and one a backpack. Everyone had their cameras with them, they just did not use them. Word of caution: we were there at the end of January on a drizzly week day and there were no crowds or long lines anywhere. Things may be different when there are lots of visitors at the Vatican

Each group consists of about 12 people who must be at least 15 years old (exception will be made for children between 11-15 years old accompanied by a parent).

I just looked at the website and found this, for folks concerned about the nearly 16 yo's

:)

• 2 years later...

On June 10, 2011, we were in Rome and did the Scavi Tour. These earlier postings from the super wise and experienced Cynthia were very helpful in our preparing and planning.

Through a key Catholic leader in Central Ohio, we had arranged in advance this private tour to the Vatican Necropolis, known as the Scavi, under St. Peter’s Basilica. The Vatican-sponsored archeological excavations under Saint Peter's in the years 1940-1949 revealed the burial location of Peter and others dating to back Imperial times. This historical-archaeological site allows only about 200 visitors per day in small groups of 10-15 people each. A late March History Channel special program focused on this "Secret Access: The Vatican" tour under the Vatican and how it dates back to the time of famed Emperor Constantine during the 4th Century.

At depths varying between 16 and 39 feet below the basilica, this secret work was undertaken at the request of Pope Pius XI who wished to be buried as close as possible to Peter the Apostle. Peter is said to be buried there due to its proximity to the Circus of Nero where he was martyred. Lots of early Church history down there based what I have seen and read. There has been a church on this site since the 4th century. Construction of the present basilica, over the old, original Constantinian basilica, began in 1506 and was completed in 1626. St. Peter's is famous as a place of pilgrimage, its liturgical functions and for its history. It is not only associated with the Pope, but with numerous artists, most significantly Michelangelo, who redesigned the dome in 1547. Michelangelo is noted for his work on the Sistine Chapel and the Pieta, a depiction of the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion. That art piece inside St. Peter's was carved in 1499, when the sculptor was just 24-years-old. If you are visiting St. Peter's for the first time, it would be good to read up on this history and background to better appreciate ALL that it is there and around this famed location.

More of the necropolis was unearthed in 2003 during construction of a parking lot. Some tombs have undergone restorations, such as the ten-month project involving the Valerii Mausoleum.

You can see more details, visuals, history from this website location:

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html

The only "downside" with the Scavi was that it was somewhat dark there and that no pictures were allowed. It also gets a little warm there. BUT, wow, what history, importance, etc.!!! Very moving, unique and interesting.

We nearly missed our 9:45 am tour time as the ship's three-car rail train to take us there was delayed, for no reason, for 30 minutes just sitting on the side track near the port. With a little help from "above", they let us join up to our tour group. There were only 13 of us in this group.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now over 14,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 44,600 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

After our super historic private tour of the Scavi under the Basilica, we saw some of the crypts and this chapel below the main area.:

RomeLowerChapelUnder.jpg

From St. Peter’s in Rome, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its Magnificent Dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

Inside St. Peters, this is a portion of the main floor area where the body of the late Pope John Paul II has been moved. Just recently they completed this change as he is elevated and goes towards Sainthood. Crowds were big and busy inside this huge Cathedral, the world's largest.:

RomePopeJPIINewSiteMainFloor.jpg

Archived