Caribbean or Mexican Riviera?

camphappy

I am trying to help plan a cruise that will include my parents, my brother and his family (includes two older teens) and my family (includes 5 kids ages 18, 15, 13, 10, and 8). I live on the West Coast and my brother lives on the East Coast. We are looking at cruises either in the Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera. Most of us have never been on a cruise before and I want it to be a great time for all. Any of you recommend one location over the other? We are looking at going as early as Jan '09 (I'm hoping to find some last minute deals).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I would not wait too long since it sound like you will need several cabins and if you wait too long you will not get cabins near each other.

And then you have the issues of flights to figure out.

For your first cruise I am sure that any of these locations would be fine unless there is some particular location you want to see. Keep in mind that many of the Mexican Riviera cruises leave out of Los Angeles. Many of the ones for the Caribbean leave out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

I would start to narrow down cruise ship, dates, etc. and then try to finalize this.

Remember that typically the lowest price and highest price cabins go first along with those in the better locations such as being mid ship.

Keith

I have done both numerous times and they are both great family vacations.

If you live within driving distance of LA or San Diego, then perhaps you would be better served to take the Mexican Riviera cruise. You can get some great deals if you time correctly. On the other hand if your family out east is close to any of the ports that do the Caribbean, then you may want to look at those. There are cruises that leave all up and down the east now including New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, and many Florida ports.

Though we really enjoy Mexico, my family much prefers the Caribbean. We tend to do the Mex. Riv. more often because we need not fly to catch the ship.

RCCL is bringing one of their mega-ships over soon to do the Mexico run, it may have some really great deals. Either way just research the cruise carefully and have a great time!:D

And---in the Caribbean, each island has it's own unique style/flavor. So, there is a great variety of different cultures to experience and things to see. St/Thomas--shopping, Grand Cayman--beachy, Jamaica--very tropical, St Maarten--1/2 Dutch 1/2 French...to name a few...

In the Mex Rivera, it's all Mexico, all the time....

CeleBrat

I am trying to help plan a cruise that will include my parents, my brother and his family (includes two older teens) and my family (includes 5 kids ages 18, 15, 13, 10, and 8). I live on the West Coast and my brother lives on the East Coast. We are looking at cruises either in the Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera. Most of us have never been on a cruise before and I want it to be a great time for all. Any of you recommend one location over the other? We are looking at going as early as Jan '09 (I'm hoping to find some last minute deals).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I say split the difference and do a Caribbean cruise out of the port of Galveston, Tx on The Voyager.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stick with Mex Riviera because it's cheaper because of no airfare. You can always fly to caribbean after you first get your feet wet in cruising. You'll have a great time at Mexican Riviera with Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. However, it varies on cruiselines where you usually end up at, but those 3 are the typical destinations though.

Archived