Meeting with high up reps of river cruise line

AZPam

Pam: What is their plan for the European River cruises? If they convert to OAT with a small group size, they won't fill the boat which hold 120 to 150 passengers unless they combine groups. Seems like a poor move since the GCT river cruises have been popular and it would be self-defeating to limit the group size. If they aren't filling the boats now, maybe they should consider lowering the price and single supplements.

Pam: What is their plan for the European River cruises? If they convert to OAT with a small group size, they won't fill the boat which hold 120 to 150 passengers unless they combine groups. Seems like a poor move since the GCT river cruises have been popular and it would be self-defeating to limit the group size. If they aren't filling the boats now, maybe they should consider lowering the price and single supplements.

Not to worry. The river cruise portion will be staying the same. They totally recognize that the river cruises are way too popular to mess with. I did not get the impression that they are having too much of an issue filling the river boats up at all. I do think it's taking them longer than normal to fill due to the price of the Euro and such and that is one reason for their concern in Europe. They will be switching the brand to OAT but will not follow the smaller sizes that OAT is known for. There are also a few other trips with OAT that will have larger sizes, but most will be the 16-25 range.

Don, I totally hear you! This was the issue that so many brought up in our focus groups. A lot of people were worried about the activity levels and not being able to keep up. The standard answer for these concerns was that it would be best to form your own group so that you know for sure the people with you could handle the tours you would be on. There was lots of talk about how even these small groups would be broken into 2 or 3 cars/jeeps/whatever. Maybe if there was one vehicle of people that couldn't handle it, they could do something else for the day? I don't know but I do think the company is going to try very hard to cover these situations and deal with it to every one satisfaction.

All I can say is give them a try again. I really did get the impression that they want to do anything they can to keep everyone happy.

Pam, great information! I just forwarded the thread to friends of ours who have gone on many GCT trips, both land and river.

Now -- can I actually bug you for your packing list as well???? :) We're leaving in 2 weeks on our first river cruise, and I can use all the help I can get!

Another Pam

Pam, great information! I just forwarded the thread to friends of ours who have gone on many GCT trips, both land and river.

Now -- can I actually bug you for your packing list as well???? :) We're leaving in 2 weeks on our first river cruise, and I can use all the help I can get!

Another Pam

Send me your email and I will get it right out. Just landed back in Phoenix and trying to get caught up with work that I have missed. Should be on the computer the rest of the day!

AZPAM- Why don't you post your packing list here and lots of people can benefit from your being organized?

I do have it posted on another thread, the Christmas Markets Roll Call. Don't think this would be a good thread to post it on since it's so off topic, but you can find it over there.

Hi once again AZPam, I'm glad you like our New England weather, but you should have been here a little earlier to see one of the best foliage displays in a few years. I found your discussion of the phone practices of GCT very interesting and to a certain degree understandable. My problem is not GCT per se as I don't use them, but cruise companies in general. Did you get any sense of the problem with courtesy? Also why is it impossible to empower (or train) their employees to tell the truth? I can sympathize with your loyalty to a firm which has treated you well, but in many ways they display the same characteristics of the industry as a whole. I hope my frustration with runarounds is not going to be ongoing.

Hi once again AZPam, I'm glad you like our New England weather, but you should have been here a little earlier to see one of the best foliage displays in a few years. I found your discussion of the phone practices of GCT very interesting and to a certain degree understandable. My problem is not GCT per se as I don't use them, but cruise companies in general. Did you get any sense of the problem with courtesy? Also why is it impossible to empower (or train) their employees to tell the truth? I can sympathize with your loyalty to a firm which has treated you well, but in many ways they display the same characteristics of the industry as a whole. I hope my frustration with runarounds is not going to be ongoing.

I thought the fall colors were still very beautiful. In Northern AZ there are lots of pretty golds and yellows with the Aspen trees, but they don't get any of the reds Boston had. Here in the Phoenix area, we get nothing. The only way we know it's fall is that the temps will finally dip below 90 during the day and the winter lawns are put in!

I do agree that phone courtesy in general just stinks. It's a problem that I don't know will be solved by anybody anytime soon. A lot of these type of employees are not even being paid a living wage, so it's hard to find people that want to do the job and do the job well. I don't necessarily think it's a lack of training on the employers part, but I am sure there is some of that. I think it's more a lack of caring on the employee part. I would imagine it might be hard to listen to people gripe about lack of internet, lack of laundry facilities, slow walkers, etc when they might be stuggling to make ends meet and what could be a dead end job. Who really knows? I am just generalizing but I do think its a problem in our society, not just among the cruise lines.

As for telling the truth, these employeea can't tell you what they don't know. Back in the day I did receptionist work for a law firm. I was always given strict instructions on who or who not to put thru and was told to make up any excuse I want. Don't you think these customer service reps are told some of the same stuff? It's not that I disagree with you, because I totally do. I just think we need to be more careful on who we express our displeasure with. It's not their fault, they are just following orders. Yes, these cruise lines need some sort of number we can call and complain to or somewhere we can go to discuss issues we are having. I've had the same issues with the big cruise lines that I've been on such as Princess and Celebrity. It's the same old runaround and I just won't be holding my breath for it to change any time soon.

Pam,

I am a fellow GCT traveler from Arizona (Queen Creek). I have been on a total of 12 GCT/OAT trips. 7 of these have been European River Cruises and 3 OAT trips with OAT's China trip planned for March 09.

I just got back from OAT's Thailand trip so I was not able to include a question prior to your trip to Boston. If GCT is concentrating on their River trips why have the removed (sold/chartered/dry docked) 2 of their ships...Debussy and Symphony? They had quite a bit of trouble selling out the ships the past few years. I have been the receipient of 50% off trips I booked at the last minute each of the past 2 summers. I know they chartered the Debussy to Scenic Cruises for part of this past summer becuase we were in port with it in Cologne and boarded it to ask questions.

I'm disappointed in their decision to stop land cruises because they had a couple trips to Italy I wanted to take.

Anyway...great feedback on you trip to Boston.

Roger from Queen Creek

Pam,

I am a fellow GCT traveler from Arizona (Queen Creek). I have been on a total of 12 GCT/OAT trips. 7 of these have been European River Cruises and 3 OAT trips with OAT's China trip planned for March 09.

I just got back from OAT's Thailand trip so I was not able to include a question prior to your trip to Boston. If GCT is concentrating on their River trips why have the removed (sold/chartered/dry docked) 2 of their ships...Debussy and Symphony? They had quite a bit of trouble selling out the ships the past few years. I have been the receipient of 50% off trips I booked at the last minute each of the past 2 summers. I know they chartered the Debussy to Scenic Cruises for part of this past summer becuase we were in port with it in Cologne and boarded it to ask questions.

I'm disappointed in their decision to stop land cruises because they had a couple trips to Italy I wanted to take.

Anyway...great feedback on you trip to Boston.

Roger from Queen Creek

Hi Roger,

I wish I had known to ask this question, so don't think I will be of much help. All they told us was that the river trips would "pretty much" stay the same as the market for them was very good. I would check into the Italy land trips you are interested in right away. They may still be there for a little bit, but I am not really sure. Sorry!

Tell me what you think of the OAT brand. Can you keep up with the activity level and do you like the smaller groups?

On another note, you need to come and join the Arizona Cruisers group on the Cruise Rituals board. We've got a pretty good group that chats on a regular basis and a lot of us are from the east valley. We've even had 3 get togethers.

Pam

Pam,

I have really enjoyed all my OAT trips. The small group size is a big plus(you don't have to wait forever for the bus to empty or for everyone to show up).

I like their itineraries much better than GCT on similar trips because of more variety in activities. I'm still just a youngster (59) so the activity level has not been much of a problem for me. There have been a minority of travelers on my trips that should have passed up on OAT. They slowed us down a little at times but soon bypassed many of the more stenuous activities.

Besides my river cruises I have been on 16 large ship cruises but do not enjoy them as much as the river cruises. How do I join the Arizona Cruisers group?

Pam: Thanks for the feedback! Having taken 6 trips with GCT/OAT, the last being Africa with Oats,we appreciate your commentary. My wife and I are both in our 60's and didn't have any problems with OAT trip. Sounds like they have some interesting ideas for the future. Must admit we sure like the smaller groups. Ed/Ellen Zelniker.

Pam: Thanks for the feedback! Having taken 6 trips with GCT/OAT, the last being Africa with Oats,we appreciate your commentary. My wife and I are both in our 60's and didn't have any problems with OAT trip. Sounds like they have some interesting ideas for the future. Must admit we sure like the smaller groups. Ed/Ellen Zelniker.

That is really good news! I want to know more about your Africa trip. Did you do the one where you sleep in the "luxury tents" with bathrooms or did you really rough it? I'm too much of a princess to rough it too much as my idea of camping is in the Holiday Inn, but I'd love to do Africa! One of the group reps had just gotten back from Africa and had some great stories. Lots about hearing animals outside the tents at night. Had one zebra in particular that liked to rub against her tent that had her freaking out every night. Also heard about pointing the flash light into the dark and seeing the red eyes staring back at you. Sent shivers up my arms hearing that!

OAT is coming out with a new trip to Nambia you might be interested in too. That one and one to Tibet really caught my interest.

Pam,

We did the OAT Ultimate Africa a year ago and loved it. We stayed in lodges that had either individual cottages or tents. Both had private bathrooms, electricity, etc. We did have one morning when we had no water, but they explained that an elephant had stepped on the pipe.

Pam,

We did the OAT Ultimate Africa a year ago and loved it. We stayed in lodges that had either individual cottages or tents. Both had private bathrooms, electricity, etc. We did have one morning when we had no water, but they explained that an elephant had stepped on the pipe.

Now how cool is that? How many people can say they didn't have water because an elephant had stepped on the pipe? I know they have electricity, but the big question is, did you get to use a hair dryer? ;)

Now how cool is that? How many people can say they didn't have water because an elephant had stepped on the pipe? I know they have electricity, but the big question is, did you get to use a hair dryer? ;)

I do not need a hair dryer. I just have to turn off the water & my hair (both of them) dry is about 6 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Pam:

Thanks for your amazing recounting of your visit with GCT and all the info you have provided to many interested travellers.

My husband and I (veterans of numerous ocean cruises) are considering our first river cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest, on a different line--one that is supposed to be "in a different class" although not the top of the line. My question is whether or not the basic river cruise is "rustic" or in the category of a mass-market ocean cruise line (ie Princess, Celebrity, etc.)

It's admirable GCT had in a group of customers for input, and I truly think the smaller groups like OAT is the preferred mode of most folks.

By the way, I, too, would appreciate your pack list: susierailroad@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

River cruises are on ships that are much smaller than the ocean cruises. The entertainment us usually minimal. They will sometimes have a local folklore group come on board in the evening. THe meals are god, but there are fewer choices.

On most river cruises, many of the shore excursions are included.

River cruises are on ships that are much smaller than the ocean cruises. The entertainment us usually minimal. They will sometimes have a local folklore group come on board in the evening. THe meals are god, but there are fewer choices.

On most river cruises, many of the shore excursions are included.

I only have GCT to compare with, but I would say, other than size, they are very similar to a Princess or Celebrity cruise. Just on a much smaller scale! Food is about the same, just no 24 hour availability. Rooms are very nice, can even get a balcony. I am sure there are some boats that will have more of that "rustic" feel, but if you do your homework, most people should be able to find the right boat at the right price. That's one thing that has impressed me with river cruising. It's really a great value for all that you get.

Archived