It got ugly in San Diego at 3:30pm today

DAllenTCY

Well, the write up requires complete registration at least 90 minutes before departure. If you get stuck in a line of those that did not complete the online process (there are separate lines and the online registration does expedite the registration process), how long before do you think you should arrive at the pier? HAL's bid is 3 hrs, what's yours?

I pre-registered and the past two years have shown up at 3:00pm for a 5:00pm departure (Italy).

Well, what you posted states that they have to either pre-register or show up at the pier 90 minutes before departure. From what I understand, the people denied boarding DID pre-register; it just wasn't complete and they weren't informed that it wasn't complete.

I'm not saying that HAL is responsible for their problems, but the issue isn't as cut-and-dried as your post implies.

Scott

Scott,

I don't believe that was the case for ALL the passengers in question - just some.

My post didn't actually say who I thought was in the wrong - just that it would be difficult for a passenger to plead ignorance if they received that notice with their documents.

Truthfully, I think HAL and the passengers that had incomplete information both failed to do their due diligence - HAL in not catching these errors before allowing people to print their boarding passes, and the passengers for not arriving with plenty of time to spare.

With the state of travel these days, passengers who want to avoid situations like these need to have the common sense to allow plenty of time to ensure that there are no issues. When I pay thousands of dollars for a trip, I make darn sure that I am there early, no matter whether I've registered online or not.

Let's remember that well over a thousand passengers got on that ship with no problems - I'm sure that these passengers were not the only ones with incomplete information. Its imperative that people take responsibility for themselves and use common sense - not leave things to technology and corporate communications.

I know that last sentence sounded a bit anti-technology fuddy-duddy, but let me assure you - I'm 30 years old. I have lived with technology my entire live and it is a huge part of my business - that said, what it has taught me is that it is not to be trusted. Nor are human beings for that matter.

Errors occur - those with common sense leave room for error.

We sailed in Jan '08 on the Noordam. We received the notice insert with our document package. In addition, 2 or 3 days (can't remember exactly) prior to sail date received an email from HAL (we did book through them): Due to an outbreak of Norovirus, boarding will be delayed. Please arrive at x time. Departure will also be delayed. Talking with folks -- those who booked through HAL and weren't already committed with Hal for transport seemed to have received the emails. The others were notified of the issue by the first HAL person they encountered -- at the airport, but, etc.

I pre-registered and the past two years have shown up at 3:00pm for a 5:00pm departure (Italy).

Since you pre-registered, the 3 hour margin does not apply according to what was written. The 3 hour margin is for those that have not pre-registered, at least as how I read the text.

Since you pre-registered, the 3 hour margin does not apply according to what was written. The 3 hour margin is for those that have not pre-registered, at least as how I read the text.

The fact that Jade's cruise was in Italy made more difference. The regulations didn't apply at all, since it wasn't the US.

Oh, Hammy! You cannot state that strongly enough. Check, re-check, double-, triple-, and quadruple-check!

We just had a near-catastrophe for our upcoming cruise. We were originally slated to leave on 20 Oct. on Korean Air. I called 28 days before our flight to re-confirm (having called once a month since we booked the dang flights back last December) and found they'd CANCELLED our flight to Auckland. And booked us in 24 hours later with us arriving at the end of our day-tour to the Bay of Islands!Robin

Can you imagine, if you had not double checked this one?

I don't think you will regret putting family room furniture on the back burner, in favor of a trip like this. It's the kind of experience most people can only dream about.

I can't wait to hear all about it.

Can you imagine, if you had not double checked this one?

I don't think you will regret putting family room furniture on the back burner, in favor of a trip like this. It's the kind of experience most people can only dream about.

I can't wait to hear all about it.

I hope to post while gone, but I will be doing a blog. (Providing I have time to write; it's a very port-intensive cruise.) I'll post the link soon.

And, yes, I won't regret the furniture, but it just makes me mad they can do something like that and NOT NOTIFY me. They had made the change a week before I called. KAL said we should have received an email about the change. It never came. How would I have known if I hadn't called???? And how many times do you have to call for every flight/cruise to check on things? Does the travel industry have no responsibility at all anymore to get their passengers where they say they're going when they say they are???? (Breathe. In-and-out. In-and-out.) Sorry. I'm done now.

I'm calling Qantas today just to re-re-confirm our new flights. :D

Robin

We sailed in Jan '08 on the Noordam. We received the notice insert with our document package. In addition, 2 or 3 days (can't remember exactly) prior to sail date received an email from HAL (we did book through them): Due to an outbreak of Norovirus, boarding will be delayed. Please arrive at x time. Departure will also be delayed. Talking with folks -- those who booked through HAL and weren't already committed with Hal for transport seemed to have received the emails. The others were notified of the issue by the first HAL person they encountered -- at the airport, but, etc.

I first thought we must have been on the same cruise, but ... I was on the Oosterdam in January:D . We also had a delay in boarding due to Code Red. I had booked my cruise through [the online only - no phone] TA, and my air through the airline site. HAL sent the TA a fax about the delay and they forwarded it to me via email. I was one of the first to know that the boarding would be late.

Almost the perfect storm :eek: - Code Red for the whole cruise, boarded and began the cruise during one of California's big winter storms, and it was the first cruise for AYW dining on the Oosterdam. Turned out to be a good cruise, although I prefer the S & R ships.

On topic - I may be a little obsessive, but I double-check *everything* before going traveling. It's paid off.

Anyone who has traveled many times, probably has horror stories to relate. I had forgotten that my FF air to Honolulu had a flight change which I had discovered. When the airline tried to rebook us, they made our Phoenix connection the day before we left our home!

I feel so badly for all those people who were not allowed to board. Many years ago, DH and I waited in a long line to board a cruise out of Tampa. When it was finally our turn, DH asked me for his passport. I said, "Why would I have your passport?" He immediately said we would have to return home and forget about the cruise. I remember how terrible I felt- for a moment or two. We were only going to the Caribbean, and the passport was not necessary. Ever since then, we fly in a day in advance.

Which brings us to our Panama Canal cruise out of SAN DIEGO in December. We are going three days early and staying right near the pier. We were planning to go to one of the local "sights" the morning of our cruise, but I think I will be MUCH MORE prudent with our time now.

Thanks for the reminder!

Karen

Just keeps getting harder and harder to travel. IMO

By themselves, the little changes don't individually make much difference. Add them into the mix of all the hassles and one really starts to say....... How badly do I really want to go? At least I do!

I am definitely a 'comfort zone' person these days. There are trips/places you couldn't give me for free that others would pay a king's ransom for.

I like the way you put this.

Regardless of should be's, the onus is on the customer to confirm, reconfirm and oh why not, re-re- confirm all flights and boarding times.

.....like the couple in front of us should have done.

We were checking through the security line in San Diego and the couple in front of us were concerned they would not make their flight......due to leave in the next ten minutes.......and asked the security officer if they could go to the front of the line.

The security officer checked their flight number on their ticket and told them he couldn't help them.....they were in the wrong terminal.....:eek:

.....like the couple in front of us should have done.

We were checking through the security line in San Diego and the couple in front of us were concerned they would not make their flight......due to leave in the next ten minutes.......and asked the security officer if they could go to the front of the line.

The security officer checked their flight number on their ticket and told them he couldn't help them.....they were in the wrong terminal.....:eek:

Ouch, I bet it was a codeshare flight...

we never board until an 45 min. to an hour before sailing. havent had a problem in 23 cruises including 3 in the last six months.

I certainly would not take that chance - with computers possibly having issues or human error - why not just arrive at least an hour earlier?

we never board until an 45 min. to an hour before sailing. havent had a problem in 23 cruises including 3 in the last six months.

Rules change. And this one just has.

I would pay attention and not rely on your past experience.....it is out of date. Do not advise others to do that, as you will be doing them a disservice.

I thought the idea was to get on the Dam ship.

we are always excited and want to board a little early:) , and check everything out. different strokes----.

I pay close attention to detail when planning a land vacation or cruise but once on a land vacation I made a itty bitty boo-boo for our snorkeling/catamaran trip (wrong day in my electronic calendar). Everything worked out.

But when planning a cruise, I do not want to be left at the pier, and I check and triple check every detail. I've only been on 5 cruises and 3 of them out of San Diego, my home port. Just driving the 30 miles or so to the port the day of the cruise makes me nervous. I'd rather wait in line knowing I'm there and will get to board is better than fighting traffic, worrying if something will delay me. I want on that DAM ship!!

Archived