Photos: QE2's Final New York Departure with QM2

dougnewmanatsea

On 16 October 2008, Cunard Line's RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 and RMS Queen Mary 2 met in New York City for the final time.

The ships sailed in tandem from their home port of Southampton, England on 10 October 2008, calling at New York on 16 October and returning to Southampton on 22 October.

This was QE2's final call in New York and her final round-trip crossing of the North Atlantic. She was Cunard's flagship and primary ship on the Southampton-New York run from 1969 to 2004 when she was replaced in that capacity by QM2. Since then she has operated mainly on cruises with occasional Atlantic crossings. Her final cruise will depart Southampton on 11 November 2008, arriving in Dubai on 27 November 2008, where she will be converted to a floating hotel.

These photos were taken from a NY Waterway Tours vessel chartered by the World Ship Society Port of New York Branch and the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter. Thanks to WSS PONY, SSHSA-LI, NY Waterway Tours and Cunard for helping to make this such a spectacular event.

Click here for photos.

Fantastic Photo's Doug,

Thanks for the photo’s. I was on this last sailing of the QE2 and it was so great seeing the photo’s from the water & land side, it adds to my total experience. The sailing was very exciting. What camera did you use, because your night shots came great!! If you want a ship menu from the last sailing let me know.

Thanks again, Nick

Archived