Just curious... balcony question

e71465

I've read a lot of posts on CC regarding the open balcony and how some people would prefer them to be "private". I'm just curious as to why they don't like the open balconies? I have always had a balcony but I don't see what the big deal is about it not being "private". I drink my coffee in my pajamas every morning, read and sit out there but I never really notice if I can see other people or if they can see me. I guess I just don't care or worry about it.

I'm just curious, are some of you just wanting to sun bathe nude, do the nasty, I mean what is about the open balcony that you don't like? Or is it that you feel like it's violating your privacy?

Just curious... :confused:

also curious...

i usually have a cheaper room, so when i do have a balcony i don't care where it is, covered or not-its a treat.

i hardly see anyone out on their balcony and i guess i just don't pay much attention to what they're doing.

i do get the idea of the caribe half-covered though--sun and shade (or rain cover).

I agree with the above posters - I do not sunbathe, and do not care for the sun beating directly down on me, so I prefer a cabin that's covered. I like them high up because there is an extended overhang, providing even further shade.

I agree with the OP, if you're not doing anything forbidden on your balcony, enjoy the uncovered one!

It's great for spring break cruises when you can't find a lounge chair by the pool!

There is no privacy, period, on balconies--the ship staff are really concerned about fire since the star.

If you like shade, book a covered balcony.

If you like sun, book a Dolphin mini-suite.

Whatever you choose, ENJOY your cruise!

I would hate to be on an open balcony and would never book a cabin unless it was a covered balcony. I specifically requested no upgrade on my BB aft balcony cabin next month because I did not want to end up with an open balcony.

I think it is just personal preference. There is no way I would enjoy sitting on my balcony having someone 10 feet behind me staring down at me. I will be fully clothed, just sitting there listening to my ipod. Basically nothing interesting to see. But I would still hate it. Sort of like the "being in a zoo" feeling I guess.

Yeah I know...they aren't going to be interested in staring down at me as people will say here. But come on. When someone is right there below you they are just in your line of sight as you look out over the water.

I know a lot of people say they don't even notice but that would not be the case for me. I guess it is really hard to explain. Comes down to just being a privacy thing maybe. The good thing is there are options. I could have booked an AD on the Sapphire and had a covered mini suite. Again, I would just make sure to mark it for no upgrade.

I also don't wish to look down and see those below me. Would rather look down and just see the water! Looking down and seeing the entire balcony of the cabin below me would be a negative.

Those of you who don't mind should be happy there are people like me. Less competition for those cabins! :)

My wife and I prefer the shade. We try to get a balcony on the side that faces east in the late afternoon. That way we do not have the glare in our eyes.

That is that exactly. I do not mind having an unopened balcony. Sure people can look down at you and I look up, we wave or say hello and then everyone goes about their business. If you do not mind an uncovered balcony then go for it.

Marilyn

I too don't like the feeling of being "on display", but more importantly, I don't want a drink or a cigarette (or ash) dropped on me! Too often I see people leaning against the railings (top decks as well as on their balconies), looking out over the water, and holding a coffee, beer, etc, or a cigarette, over the railing. I wish Princess would change this aspect of their ship design.

Sort of like the "being in a zoo" feeling I guess.

You took the words out of my mouth!

We've sailed twice in Caribe (1/2 and 1/2) balconies- absolutely wonderful! We commented during both cruises that we were glad we weren't the folks below us on Dolphin, sitting out for all the world to see.

We like to have at least some option for shade, we don't like people staring at us just because we don't like it, not because we're necessarily doing anything we shouldn't be. If I wanted to lay around in full view of everyone outside, I'd book an inside cabin and go to the lido deck.

In a few days we're leaving to sail in our first mini... fully covered (would prefer 1/2 and 1/2 but there aren't any of those that I know if).

My wife and I prefer the shade. We try to get a balcony on the side that faces east in the late afternoon. That way we do not have the glare in our eyes.

How does that work for you on r/t voyages. Do you ask the Captain to put the ship in reverse so you have your shade.

I guess we never got that anal about the balconies. If the Sun was too hot, we moved to a shady part of the ship (don't recall that ever happening). It is nice to have partial cover for those days when there is some preciptiation, but none of them protect from a real downpour.

Archived