A La Carte Dining on HAL?

sail7seas

If, in attempt to keep fares under control during this tough economic time, would you continue to cruise if HAL were to introduce a la carte dining? You want a burger and fries, buy it. You are handed a menu with prices in the dining room like at any land restaurant.

I can really picture it may not be so out of the question or far off in the future.

In the end, the cost might be the same out of pocket for most cruisers, I wonder if too many would throw up their hands and Say No Way.

I don't think we'd like it. Actually I am sure we would NOT like it.

One concern that I'd have with that kind of program is that the cruise ship has a captive audience, so would be able to charge whatever they wanted. The other concern is that "Mr. Frugal" really likes knowing in advance more or less what the vacation is costing, and we have it paid for in advance (excluding a few incidentals). Not knowing the prices of meals would be a problem for him. Which would become a problem for me. :D

As I've said before, if the cruise lines want to offer additional items at a surcharge, I'm fine with that and would certainly entertain ordering those.

One concern that I'd have with that kind of program is that the cruise ship has a captive audience, so would be able to charge whatever they wanted. The other concern is that "Mr. Frugal" really likes knowing in advance more or less what the vacation is costing, and we have it paid for in advance (excluding a few incidentals). Not knowing the prices of meals would be a problem for him. Which would become a problem for me. :D

As I've said before, if the cruise lines want to offer additional items at a surcharge, I'm fine with that and would certainly entertain ordering those.

Because you read CC, you would know the prices in advance. Someone would surely post the menus. KK where are you? :D

And, I imagine, HAL might put the menus on their website. Same as most land restaurants now have websites where you can read and price their menus, HAL would do the same.

I don't like the idea of it but have a deep down in my gut sort of feeling the rumblings have begun about implementing this bit by bit. I think it will start with burgers/pizza/room service and will stretch to the dining room in quick order.

Lido probably would be a flat 'all you can eat'. That would take care of the stress on the dining room to provide ample seating for those who want traditional dining. :D You'd have all the tables you'd want as many exited the dining room never to return.

I abhor this idea. Not only would we no longer cruise on HAL, we would sell our stock (part of our reasoning when we bought was that traditionally cruises have still done well in economic downturns - because they know that the vacation will cost before).

I don't like the idea of it but have a deep down in my gut sort of feeling the rumblings have begun about implementing this bit by bit. I think it will start with burgers/pizza/room service and will stretch to the dining room in quick order.

And I suspect that if HAL does introduce this, it will start in the dining room. Little tent cards on each table, or at each place, offering something extra-special (e.g., caviar appetizer) for "a small additional charge". Or "Our premium selections for this evening's dining", with upcharge for the appy, entree and dessert. Or "Our 'flight' of specialties for this evening" with a flat rate for the "premium" selection. I think (and it is just MHO) it is easier to get extra$ for items that are perceived as "premium", as opposed to more "mundane" items such as burgers and pizza.

I don't like the idea, Sail, but can see that concept coming down the pike. To me, one of the appealing aspects of cruising is having most of my vacation prepaid, and not having to budget each day for lodging, food, entertainment, etc.

NCL, with so many alternative restaurants, and so-so meals in their main dining room, is moving in that direction, IMO.

Roz

I abhor this idea ...
I'm with you 100%. I'd be through with cruising if this happened. I cruise for the traditional cruising experience. Going through the gyrations of flying to get on a floating Ruby Tuesday's just wouldn't happen for me!

I can just see it -- "How can I smuggle my own food onto the ship?" "Why aren't there microwaves in the staterooms?" "Why are the in-cabin refrigerators so tiny?"

I'm with you 100%. I'd be through with cruising if this happened. I cruise for the traditional cruising experience. Going through the gyrations of flying to get on a floating Ruby Tuesday's just wouldn't happen for me!

I can just see it -- "How can I smuggle my own food onto the ship?" "Why aren't there microwaves in the staterooms?" "Why are the in-cabin refrigerators so tiny?"

I love it Jim. lol Yep, there were be tons of posts on how to smuggle food. How many would bring the crockpots and/or George Forman grills? 'What do you mean I can't grill on MY verandah??' :rolleyes: Just not my idea of a cruise. We'd just do land vacations.

If, in attempt to keep fares under control during this tough economic time, would you continue to cruise if HAL were to introduce a la carte dining? You want a burger and fries, buy it. You are handed a menu with prices in the dining room like at any land restaurant.

I can really picture it may not be so out of the question or far off in the future.

In the end, the cost might be the same out of pocket for most cruisers, I wonder if too many would throw up their hands and Say No Way.

I don't think we'd like it. Actually I am sure we would NOT like it.

I believe that this plan would kill cruising as we now know it. How on earth, [or sea], can a cruiser relax, while wondering what the next meal might cost.

This should be nipped in the bud NOW, before it is too late.

john

And I suspect that if HAL does introduce this, it will start in the dining room. Little tent cards on each table, or at each place, offering something extra-special (e.g., caviar appetizer) for "a small additional charge". Or "Our premium selections for this evening's dining", with upcharge for the appy, entree and dessert. Or "Our 'flight' of specialties for this evening" with a flat rate for the "premium" selection. I think (and it is just MHO) it is easier to get extra$ for items that are perceived as "premium", as opposed to more "mundane" items such as burgers and pizza.

I think you have nailed it Cow Princess. That is probably how they will ease into totally 'pay as you go'.

I don't like the idea better than anyone else but sincerely think we will see it sooner rather than later.

I'm here!!

I hate the idea. -- If I wanted to pay for everything A la Carte -- then I would sail on Easy Cruise -- I think they pay for their food.

Also I would want a refrigerator that is more than just a cooler!! If I am paying for something and can't eat it all at that meal -- than I want a Doggy Bag!!!

I doubt they will do that but I do suspect that this charging is why NCL has so many different dining choices that require cover charge. In a sense what you suggest is already here except for what the fee is called. Even HAL has the alternative "pay" dining. Interesting concept to bring that into the dining room but I suspect too many people would then go back to land based vacations.

Interesting concept to bring that into the dining room but I suspect too many people would then go back to land based vacations.

I don't think it would deter most people. As long as there's a budget friendly or all inclusive choice, I think people would soon just consider it part of the cruise. Possibly the all-inclusive wouldn't be so great, but if there was still that as an option I think most people would be okay with it. Probably not those of us who have cruised for years and years, and remember the nights that caviar WAS the appetizer, and Cherries Jubilee was available for the asking, but lots of people have only in the last few years discovered cruising.

I know I'd cheerfully spend for a caviar appetizer (though "Mr Frugal" probably would not), a plate of excellent sushi, a filet that looked and felt and tasted like a filet. White chocolate cheesecake in phyllo pastry with raspberry coulis.

Though I wonder if by adding a charge for some menu items, HAL would see a drop in their alcohol and wine revenue.

Do you think if they start charging for dinner in the Dining Room such things as caviar, cherries jubilee and white chocolate cheesecake will reappear?

Yes, I think those things would reappear. They'd be the bait on the hook. They would get people accustomed to paying for a higher-end dining experience. Then HAL could say "Statistics indicate that 85% of our cruisers are voting with their wallets for a wider choice of items. To satisfy the increasing demand for a la carte dining, HAL is pleased to announce.... blah blah blah" or something similar. And that's when today's menus would become the "premium" menus, and the "included" menu would be spaghetti, burgers, some sort of stew item.

Archived