A La Carte Dining on HAL?

sail7seas

No matter what the future of dining on HAL ships, we will NOT be going to all inclusives. That is not my idea of a land vacation. We would go to beautiful domestic and Caribbean/European Resorts but not to all inclusives.

No matter what the future of dining on HAL ships, we will NOT be going to all inclusives. That is not my idea of a land vacation. We would go to beautiful domestic and Caribbean/European Resorts but not to all inclusives.

I guess it depends on the all inclusive you go to. There are some pretty high end All inclusives out there. :)

We might actually start travelling in our RV again, though. We'd have the cottage in the summer and could go to warmer places in the winter.

One of the things I like about cruising is it's a no brainer. I can relax. If I chose to spend extra, I go to Pinnacle or Tamarind on the Eurodam. I wouldn't like this concept at all.

I've gone to all inclusive resorts, and at this stage in my life, I don't think I would want to go back there. On one such trip, DH decided to get certified for scuba diving and the only time I ever saw him was at the meals.

On the other hand, if they want to add a special for an extra charge, I wouldn't object, as long as there was enough other selections to pick from.

However, I hope HAL leaves a good thing alone.

I guess it depends on the all inclusive you go to. There are some pretty high end All inclusives out there. :)

We might actually start travelling in our RV again, though. We'd have the cottage in the summer and could go to warmer places in the winter.

It isn't so much about high end all inclusive (though we customarily choose higher end locations) but more about the all inclusive concept. If we are not cruising, we like to pick and choose from the 'buffet' of all that a particular locale offers. I don't want to be tied to 'the property's dining choices', the bars and lounges 'on the property' etc We would be out in the locale region enjoying different restaurants, entertainment, lounges etc

It isn't so much about high end (though we customarily choose higher end locations) but more about the all inclusive concept. If we are not cruising, we like to pick and choose from the 'buffet' of all that a particular locale offers. I don't want to be tied to 'the property's dining choices', the bars and lounges 'on the property' etc We would be out in the locale region enjoying different restaurants, entertainment, lounges etc

Fair enough. It's probably been 8 years since we've been to an All Inclusive, so perhaps we wouldn't. We would start making more trips to Vegas. Since we started cruising, we don't get there as often as we used to. We'd have our great restaurants, entertainment to choose from and gambling too! Shhh. My husband would probably prefer to go to Vegas.

I think CowPrincess's account would be most likely. You know the Arabs have a story about a camel who was sitting outside the warm tent on a cold night. He asked the family if he could just put his nose in the tent to enjoy a little of the warmth. At the end of the story, the camel is completely inside, and the family had been pushed outside.

It isn't so much about high end all inclusive (though we customarily choose higher end locations) but more about the all inclusive concept. If we are not cruising, we like to pick and choose from the 'buffet' of all that a particular locale offers. I don't want to be tied to 'the property's dining choices', the bars and lounges 'on the property' etc We would be out in the locale region enjoying different restaurants, entertainment, lounges etc

I agree completely. When on a land vacation, I don't like to be tied down to only one choice, the inclusive one. I like to experience the area. The only time I found this a problem was years ago when we were in St. Martin. There were so many wonderful restaurants to chose from, it became a "study" to decide where to eat each night.

Actually, now that I think of it, we had the same issue in Paris.:D

A la carte dining on HAL would be a violation of the "nothing overboard" policy---because that's where the traditional cruise experience would have gone. :rolleyes:

I love the idea of paying for my cruise, then forgetting about expenditures (for the most part). To pay for meals would bring cash right back to the forefront of my mind. So much for the "cashless society". :rolleyes:

I don't see any reason to cruise, if it isn't the complete cruising experience. I just hope I attain my next medallion before there are more drastic changes; I sure won't make it after. :(

No way. The beauty of HAL is the no brainer part for me...knowing there are going to be lots of choices, and generally can find something, and don't think about the cost. We typically (because we are a family) book the penthouse, and at THAT point, paying for PH and food...dh would have a hard time convincing me it is worth it. Also, I like to try foods I might not try on land or not liking it and still be hungry,when it carries a hefty price tag, !. (HHMMM...maybe people like me,and those reasons, would be why they would consider it..:p)

And, dd, who at five is pretty picky, has many choices --all our 'tastes" can be met.

I have read this over a couple of times, and I am not sure how to explain it..but maybe this works--we went to a Hyatt in a large city near us over the weekend...room service dinner, one night, with no drinks, was over $150.00 for us. Not a lot of choices--three meals were steak (2 filets and 1 ribeye) with a veggie and a "carb", plus dh had a ceasar. No desserts, no drinks, no wine, strictly an entree each. But there was 20% added, delivery charge, etc. Doing that on a 7 day or longer cruise...when I doubt the fare would decrease by much, it just makes me feel I have to work too hard, or maybe think too much, is the right answer. We don't bring food along, except for a few snack type things for a small child...

I just like knowing that when it comes time to get on board...I can blow money on drinks, the spa, and excursions. Add food to our on board account....OUCH! I would rather decide to eat on shore and pay for that--to experience a new place and that food!

I guess I like cruising, but not enough that I couldn't find other places to go and pay for everything:rolleyes:. NYC, Paris, Venice...even the Carribbean!

Sorry if I am too long winded...hope this makes sense--there is just more than one reason why I don't like the idea!

I think (and it is just MHO) it is easier to get extra$ for items that are perceived as "premium", as opposed to more "mundane" items such as burgers and pizza.

A while back, someone asked on one of the CC boards if he could expect Kobe steak for dinner. It made me think, "why not" offer over the top "premium" selections and give passengers the choice to decide for themselves. It's not so different from choosing cabin grade, to spa or not, to specialty restaurant or not, to book a high end custom shore excursions or not. So why not Kobe beef?

I don't see it happening. Can you imagine what a mess the cabins would be after everyone who is cheap like us brought their peanut butter, jelly and bread aboard? Then those who attempted to cook in their rooms, nothing worse at sea than a fire. Then the smell of everyone's favorite meals wafting in the hallway. I'm sure there would be a rule against bringing food aboard but when has that ever stopped some people?

To implement such a program, HAL likely would need to reduce prices ... that is deduct from their fares the costs for food and food prep so that passengers' total costs might be a bit higher than now but nowhere near as scary as current fares plus pay-as-you-eat dining. If costs are an issue ... perhaps HAL would consider the gluttony factor. Is there really any logical reason for HAL staff to serve 6 lobster tails or 3 steaks to a passenger simply because he asks for them?

Then there's the health and filth problems of people "cooking" and eating in their cabins ... crock pots, hot plates, etc. Imagine the potential fire hazards.

If HAL is not having problems getting heads in beds, I doubt they would go down this dark and dreary road. There would be no turning back to the excellent onboard experience on which HAL's passengers have come to expect, the experience on which HAL's reputation is based.

If I didn't know you are serious, I'd be screeching in protest but sadly I am sure those of you who mention 'cooking in cabins' are probably right. It leaves me speechless that someone would actually go on vacation (to a hotel or ship) and plan to use a crockpot or whatever in order to save money on dinner. It blows me away.

If one can't afford to vacation, doesn't it make more sense to wait a little longer, save a little more and then go on their vacation with enough money to actually be able to enjoy it?

Cook in their rooms??? ......... Amazing!

Do you think if they start charging for dinner in the Dining Room such things as caviar, cherries jubilee and white chocolate cheesecake will reappear?

I was informed one time on Princess that Cherries Jubilee were no longer on the menu for, 'security reasons'. However the waiter also told me that I COULD order the dish, to be prepared in the gally, but NOT in the dining room, all I had to do was to ask.

john

Sadly, Sail, I can envision all sorts of kitchen cookery making its way onboard to save money. Haven't we seen posts about people bringing along their personal coffee maker or blender? So, with a la carte, it would be like a campout at sea for some.

Personally, we always have lived within our means and would not cruise if it were outside of our budget ... I would prefer that to (1) starving rather than do a la carte or (2) cooking my way thru a cruise vacation.

Indeed, amazing what some would do to save a few $$$$$$$$$$$. If I couldn't afford it, I'd stay home and plan and dream the vacation I could afford, even if I had to delay the trip a year or two.

Sail, those of us who have mentioned this haven't been supporting this occurring, merely predicting this. How many times have we all seen posts about "smuggling" booze? It is that same mindset that will want to "cook" in their cabins. That is why we would not cruise any line that has 'ala carte' dining.

Years back someone (I think Brian) asked 'What make you quit cruising?' At the time I couldn't think of a thing. I found my answer.

Haven't we seen posts about people bringing along their personal coffee maker

I'll be bringing my french press next cruise. It has nothing to do with cost -- I'm "high maintenance" about my coffee, and find nothing on the ship that is worth drinking. By the time we get to a port so I can track down a good cup of coffee, I'm a very grumpy princess.

A la carte on a cruise? Horrendous idea. One of the advantages of cruising over a land based vacation is that all the necessities (board & room) are paid in full before stepping foot on the ship. There is no way we would consider going on a cruise if a la carte was implemented.

It leaves me speechless that someone would actually go on vacation (to a hotel or ship) and plan to use a crockpot or whatever in order to save money on dinner.

Saving money on dinner wouldn't necessarily be the only reason people would cook in their cabin.

If I'm paying for my dinner I want an extensive choice of meals---more than are found on the typical cruise menu. I want something akin to a restaurant menu. And I doubt that will ever appear in a ship's dining room. It simply isn't possible for the galley to be able to prepare and serve that wide a variety of foods.

This has been an interesting thread. I have to vote NO - I would NOT like extra charge meals in the Dining Rooms, and I shudder at the thought of anyone cooking (or even making sandwiches) in their cabins.

I guess we could learn to live with a couple of Premium offerings on the menu, so long as it didn't interfer with timely service for those of who don't choose that - and so long as the stewards aren't trained to push for those options. I can hear it now ... "I'll have the Salmon please", "But no, Madame, the Kobe beef is so much better".

Just let me have the relaxed and peaceful cruising experience I've come to know and love.

Archived