SeaBands - anyone used them?

cmalibu1

For our up coming cruise, I purchased sea bands. I normally wouldnt use something like this, but in addition to purchasing Bonnie I wanted some additional protection.

I thought about using the patch, but I think its too late for that.

Anyone used them or heard of them before?!

For our up coming cruise, I purchased sea bands. I normally wouldnt use something like this, but in addition to purchasing Bonnie I wanted some additional protection.

My first cruise, I used the bands - they didn't work - went to the Dramamine -- got UTI :(

I now use the patch -- it's on my 3rd tier rx level - best $35 I've ever spent -- It stay's on while swimming and scuba diving -- Not sure on your "its too late" comment - just call your doc, have them call the rx in - pick it up :rolleyes: -- it goes on about 1 or so hour before you sail...

On our last cruise in April we had one night of choppy water, and DH could really feel it on the top decks. He put on the bands and took a bonine, and in 20 minutes was feeling great.

I used the patch on our first cruise, never again. The medicine from the patch got in my eyes and I couldn't see properly for 2 days,and was dizzy.. Pupils were dilated just like at the eye doctor, and although I had a great time, I would have enjoyed those 2 days better if I could have seen properly, and walked without holding on to something. Of course DH just told everybody I was drunk!:o

================

I have worn them in the past with great success... of course, you still feel the movement of hte shp but none of the associated nausea. Only side effect was my hands swelled after a couple of days.

Last cruise we took ginger and absoutely worked with no side effects; although some may experience some gas with ginger or feelings of heartburn, but we did not... great non-medicinal way of treating nausea (it is recommended to pregnant women to combat nausea!).

I always wore the bands. Did they work? Who knows. I wore them up until the time I took them off in the internet cafe (they were interfering with the keyboard) and left them there. Of course they disappeared; never again to surface. So I switched to carrying ginger capsules. Have only used them occasionally; they work well!

I don't know why anyone uses a Scopolamine patch. Don't you people understand that you are absorbing medication into your body? For what?

My husband swears by the bands. His experience in the past was he had no problem during the cruise but when he left the ship he felt the motion for two weeks after. Now he puts the bands on the day before and takes them off the day after and has no problems. Maybe it's all in the head but whatever works for him means we can cruise more often. Luckily, I have never had a problem on a ship. I count my blessings for that.

Barbara

Gotta a friend who is a professional fisherman here in San Diego. He swears by them. Once he forgot them and used duct tape and sinkers.

He says you have to put them in the right place or they don't work.

And he's not a new age kind of guy at all. If you were making a pirate movie, you'd look at him and say, "Perfect."

The bands really help DH. He felt the motion in his inner ear and sense of balance, which gave him a headache on the first sea day. The bands reduce the symptoms, along with Advil or Tylenol. Then after a few days, he takes them off, and feels fine.

DavidnSteph

Once he forgot them and used duct tape and sinkers.

Love the mental picture of those sinkers strapped around his wrists with silvery tape!!! :p Whatever works!!

I too have had fabulous results from the Sea Bands. I carry 2 pair just in case something happens to them. Or for anyone else who might need them. I think they're comfortable and only need to wear them for a couple days and then just put them back on for rough seas. They cost about $7-10. I also pack ginger capsules just in case, but haven't needed them yet.

I have carried them on every cruise since 1999. I think I wore them on the first cruise...but not since, until my last. Second day onboard, going around Ireland, we had felt the sea slapping against the bow of QE2. I was up getting ready for breakfasr, leaned over to put on socks, and realized I didn't feel right. I was considering whether to take half a benadryl, when I realized my sister was scrabbling around ina bag looking for something. What? Her sea bands. Oh. I forgot I had them. We put them on and went to breakfast, and had no problems. The sea day between Iceland and Norway I again felt woozy, put them back on, and in a couple of hours it was like the mild nausea was suddenly switched off. I won't go anywhere without them. EM

If you want immediate relief, use ginger pills. They work fast, other medication takes at least 30 minutes but they usually won't help if you stomach is already upset, but ginger helps your upset stomach right away. Ginger ale also works but takes longer since it doesn't have as much ginger.

I too got mine at walmart.

I have tried the Ginger capsules in the past, but found some unwanted side effects almost made it worse than just not taking them. So I have stopped using those.

But I have chewable Bonine, hopefully that works well too?!

They work for some. They did not work for me. I had bruises for a week afterwards and as somebody else said my hands swelled up. Still threw up for 3 days until I could get some drugs into me. Now I just take drugs. I know they work for me. - mummsie

I have used the bands with great success. I tried in Alaska to go without them. We were in our cabin in Whittier, and I could feel the moment we began to move from the dock. I told my husband we were moving and he said I was crazy, then looked outside and sure enough, we were moving

I grabbed the bands and was very quickly fine. Generally, do not take them off.

I have not tried the drugs as I have several medication allergies and do not want to risk it, since I do not know what will happen if I take them.

I take a pair for each family member. DH has not used them but DS, now 12, does use them from time to time.

Archived