Fuel surcharge refunds??

crusinbanjo

Betty, I have suspected that auntdana can't access her old posts. She may have her page settings set up so they don't go a second page, or set for a short time interval.

If she could post the reason she can't get to the older info we might be able to give her some suggestions to make them easier for her to find.

Betty, I have suspected that auntdana can't access her old posts. She may have her page settings set up so they don't go a second page, or set for a short time interval.

If she could post the reason she can't get to the older info we might be able to give her some suggestions to make them easier for her to find.

Another possibility might be (based on post #171) that English isn't her native language and maybe there is some confusion with understanding board guidelines and/or the replies she has been getting. Heck, HAL's website and their whole fuel surcharge policy thing can be confusing for anyone! :p

Both of you are probably right...I never thought of that...Just trying to let the poster know that people are not against her, just trying to help..

Now will get back to planning our next cruise next November...

Tayo and Kristy, believe I was on topic..However I feel ambivalent about the fuel surcharges being refunded...I look at it as the price of cruising..If we can't afford to pay the fuel surcharge, then we can no longer afford to cruise..

Also, won't plan on counting our chickens before they are hatched;)..Have a suspicion that fuel prices will increase again next year & the surcharge will go back on..We've seen these ups & downs so many times over the past years..I would rather pay the fuel surcharge the way it's been set up by the Carnival Corp. Lines, than pay the Airline fare increases &/or fuel surcharges which in many cases are hundreds of dollars & so much higher than HAL's fuel surcharge which is a max. of $126 pp..

When we cruised on a HAL competitor last year, there wasn't a maximum no. of days..The line assessed the fuel surcharge for every day of travel whether it was 7 days or 30 days..In addition, believe their fuel surcharge was higher, but not quite sure....Just read on their board that they are charging $15.00 per person per day..So for a 26 day cruise that would be $780for two...A bit high for our pocketbook!

Even the taxi's from our airport were charging fuel surcharges..

Cheers..:)Betty

Just got a call from TA that Hal notified her that they had taken off the $126 surcharge on our Aug. 23, 2009 Alaskan cruise. Will be sending new invoice for final payment. They did caution that it could be added back on before final payment.

Just got a call from TA that Hal notified her that they had taken off the $126 surcharge on our Aug. 23, 2009 Alaskan cruise. Will be sending new invoice for final payment. They did caution that it could be added back on before final payment.
(My bolding)

Loved that !;););)

Wish I knew how to put chickens in my posts..LOL

We just received good news from HAL our $220.00 fuel supplement is being refunded to our credit card. :)

This is for our Feb. 09 Ryndam sailing that I thought would be OBC. I like it better this way, we have the money not HAL.

They will get plenty more from us on the supercharge and future cruises.

New Hal-Policy for shipboard credit:

FUEL SUPPLEMENT UPDATE

December 4, 2008

As fuel prices continue to decline, Holland America Line has announced that it will suspend fuel supplements effective for all voyages departing on or after December 17, 2008.

A refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008. All bookings outside of the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008 will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and guests will be provided with a revised final payment amount.

As the price of oil has dropped to $46 per barrel, it has now reached a level where we are able to suspend the fuel supplement.

We reserve the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $9 per person per day should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $70 per barrel.

It is our hope that fuel prices have stabilized and will remain at a more rational level. The complete suspension of the fuel supplement makes the inherent value of a cruise even greater and that is increasingly important in the selection of a vacation in the current economic climate.

I just got a call from my TA and she said we're getting a $100 shipboard credit for our fuel charges. Can beat that deal. :)
Is your departure date on or after December 17th? If so, that is in accordance with their stated policy.

If it is earlier than December 17, and some people are getting a refund and some are not, that is highly unfair. :( Especially, in our case for our December 13th cruise - we took the time to write a polite letter to HAL asking for the refund and were flatly denied it with a cut-and-paste form letter.

I certanly hope HAL is treating all passengers equally with regard to this refund.

Is your departure date on or after December 17th? If so, that is in accordance with their stated policy.

If it is earlier than December 17, and some people are getting a refund and some are not, that is highly unfair. :( Especially, in our case for our December 13th cruise - we took the time to write a polite letter to HAL asking for the refund and were flatly denied it with a cut-and-paste form letter.

I certanly hope HAL is treating all passengers equally with regard to this refund.

I suspect that there have been some misunderstandings regarding refunds for cruises prior to 12/17. There have been some erroneous reports of "early" refunds on some other CC boards.

Possible GOOD news for those cruising before the 17th, but over the 17th and beyond! A Carnival cruiser was informed they would get the fuel supplement in OBC for the 17th and following days on their cruise beginning prior to that date.:cool: Hope this is true for those leaving before the cut-off, but on cruises overlapping it, on HAL!

OK, on Carnival Lines board it has been verified (by trusted and long term cruisers and members getting e-mail notification) that cruisers will be getting OBC for dates from the 17th and beyond even if the cruise begins before the 17th. Same company so I would have to believe HAL cruisers can expect the same OBC. HAL doesn't seem to be sending out ANY notifications to those who book directly at least! I hope our 12/22/08 cruise has it credited. Not so as of a few days ago!:eek: They said to check back next week to find out...

• 1 month later...

:oHi All,

I just got back from a HAL cruise (Noordam- Southern Caribbean-sail date 03/01/09 to 13/01/09) and we (party of 4) received all of our fuel surcharge back as an onboard ship credit (and were advised that if we did not spend the full credit it would be reimbursed to us at the end of the cruise..we spent it all, of course!)

You do not need to do anything...they had processed the amount automatically.

Kris

I am mobile, so I hope my post appears correctly.

I had a credit of 11 dollars and change credited to each stateroom months ago.

Now my TA is saying I will be getting my fuel surcharge refunded as OBC.

How much do you think we're talking about for a 7 day sailing (Veendam Feb 8)?

I saw someone said 100 dollars, but that must be for multiple cabins and not pp or per cabin, right? I don't know how much to expect. Dollars or.cents?

I am mobile, so I hope my post appears correctly.

I had a credit of 11 dollars and change credited to each stateroom months ago.

Now my TA is saying I will be getting my fuel surcharge refunded as OBC.

How much do you think we're talking about for a 7 day sailing (Veendam Feb 8)?

I saw someone said 100 dollars, but that must be for multiple cabins and not pp or per cabin, right? I don't know how much to expect. Dollars or.cents?

The actual amount of your potential rebate/OBC will be based on the fuel surcharge dollars you actually paid, and that is dependent on when you booked your cruise. When the surcharge first was introduced, it was $5/person/day, went to $7/person/day, and was at $9/person/day before it was suspended. At some point in the price progression, HAL put in a fuel surcharge for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin ... when the surcharge was first instituted, it applied only the first 2 people per cabin.

As to the approx $11/cabin you already received ... there may havew been a reduction in taxes or port charges.

The actual amount of your potential rebate/OBC will be based on the fuel surcharge dollars you actually paid, and that is dependent on when you booked your cruise. When the surcharge first was introduced, it was $5/person/day, went to $7/person/day, and was at $9/person/day before it was suspended. At some point in the price progression, HAL put in a fuel surcharge for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin ... when the surcharge was first instituted, it applied only the first 2 people per cabin.

As to the approx $11/cabin you already received ... there may havew been a reduction in taxes or port charges.

Thank you for your response.

I am very much looking forward to seeing how much is in my ship account. Woo hoo. :D Fortunately for me, I think I was charged for my 3rd passenger (my baby daughter) in addition to DH and me. At $7 a day. that would be almost $150! We'll see what we end up with.

:D

Archived