Room service waiters are "volunteers"??

Q.E.D.

In another thread promoting tipping of room service waiters, these comments were made:

“I always understood that the room service delivery was "extra" volunteer work on the part of the crew”

and

“Assigned or volunteers, (probably some of both) either way, they are not in it for your razor stubble or morning breath. How would you like to race back and forth from the kitchen to rooms scattered all over the ship?”

Where did this idea originate that any of the crew on the ship are "volunteers"? They are paid employees of HAL. Some crew are paid to steer the ship. Some are paid to vacuum the corridors. And some are paid to deliver food to rooms "scattered all over the ship". That is their job. That's what they are paid to do. I don't get why some folks would think that delivering meals to cabins is unpaid volunteer work, whereas changing light bulbs in the Lido is not...

Maybe someone meant that they "volunteered" to deliver meals to the cabins instead of doing some other job like placing silverware and rolling the napkins in the Lido for people, cleaning up plates and trays in the Lido, or something else like this.

They are all paid workers or they wouldn't be on the ship.

Maybe someone meant that they "volunteered" to deliver meals to the cabins instead of doing some other job
But what if no one "volunteered"? Doesn't it make a lot more sense that each crew member has his/her own job assignment and that job is what they are paid to do?

The incentive for volunteering is the opportunity to make tips.

Roz

So they they DO expect to be tipped? Even though HAL's website clearly indicates that the "Daily Hotel Service Charge" of US$11 per passenger per day covers room service?

So they they DO expect to be tipped? Even though HAL's website clearly indicates that the "Daily Hotel Service Charge" of US$11 per passenger per day covers room service?

Not to keel-haul or throw any passengers in the brig who tip the room service guy a few bucks.

You appear to have misunderstood the web site. It referred to the "...stewards who tend to your stateroom each day...". Having room service delivered is clearly an extra service -- for which a tip should be expected.

the room service attendants are not "volunteer", they are assigned to that function. The same person started as an assistant dining room steward and then promoted to be the room service attendant function and then promoted to be the dining room steward, and, ultimately the Pinnacle Grill attendant.

We have been on ships where the area captain in the Lido actually was talking to a group one day and asked who wanted to do what for the day.

I am not certain about the order of promotion. But it is a rare instance when they go from dining room steward to the Pinnacle. Pinnacle staff mostly Europeans.

sodomojo's is most interesting to me. I did not realize that there was a "career ladder" that was followed in this regard. I do believe that this person is correct, however. My assistant dining room steward on the Volendam one year was a room service steward when I next saw him on the Noordam, about a year later. I am glad to know that he had received a promotion; I feared that it had been a demotion.

The staff that does bring meals, etc., to your cabin, do not get any of the tip from the cabin steward.

They usually are part of the group that is referred to as "behine the sceenes" and receive but pennies of the auto tips.

The original $10 auto was broken up where the cabin steward got $3.50, the dining room steward and his assistant split $3.50 and the remaining $3 was divided among the other people -- cooks, cleaning crew, laundry people, etc. -- which was only pennies for each person.

I have no idea how the $11 is being divided up.

I had also heard this several cruies ago, I again starting adding a little tip for the folks bringing stuff to the cabin. You would be amazed on a long cruise how that word gets around. We would get our orders before the friends next door and they would order first. I know all should be equal but money brings out the best in services...;)

The staff that does bring meals, etc., to your cabin, do not get any of the tip from the cabin steward.

They usually are part of the group that is referred to as "behine the sceenes" and receive but pennies of the auto tips.

The original $10 auto was broken up where the cabin steward got $3.50, the dining room steward and his assistant split $3.50 and the remaining $3 was divided among the other people -- cooks, cleaning crew, laundry people, etc. -- which was only pennies for each person.

I have no idea how the $11 is being divided up.

My Eurodam brochure lists a typical complement of 2104 passengers and 929 crew. Assuming for this exercise that the ship is full and every passenger pays the autotip and nothing more. That's 2104 x $77 (7 days at $11/day)= $162,000 in autotips for the week.

So if roughly a 3rd ($54,000) goes to the room stewards and another third ($54,000) goes to the dining room stewards/assistant, that leaves $54,000 to be divided amongst the remaining crew.

So, how many room stewards and dining room stewards are there on the ship? If, for instance, they make up a third of the crew (just guessing here) that means that the remaining two-thirds (619) split the $54,000, which works out to be about $87 bucks each.

Not a fortune, but hardly "pennies" either.

I wish I were able to give you exact numbers of how many people work "behind the sceenes" but I can't. I know the number is high -- you may be right about 619 -- but it also includes the staff who work in the engine room, those who work the tenders, clean the decks.

$87 for 7 days still isn't much.

At one time the American dollar wasn't worth much and when these people changed the American dollars they got as tips and the checks they get from HAL -- they actually got very little in their own money.

My Eurodam brochure lists a typical complement of 2104 passengers and 929 crew. Assuming for this exercise that the ship is full and every passenger pays the autotip and nothing more. That's 2104 x $77 (7 days at $11/day)= $162,000 in autotips for the week.

So if roughly a 3rd ($54,000) goes to the room stewards and another third ($54,000) goes to the dining room stewards/assistant, that leaves $54,000 to be divided amongst the remaining crew.

So, how many room stewards and dining room stewards are there on the ship? If, for instance, they make up a third of the crew (just guessing here) that means that the remaining two-thirds (619) split the $54,000, which works out to be about $87 bucks each.

Not a fortune, but hardly "pennies" either.

$87 per cruise is pennies considering the hard work and hours these people put in... JMHO They don't do 40 hr work weeks like we do... they do alot more and don't really get much time off. So they don't make much at all per cruise compared to our standards really...

I had also heard this several cruies ago, I again starting adding a little tip for the folks bringing stuff to the cabin. You would be amazed on a long cruise how that word gets around. We would get our orders before the friends next door and they would order first. I know all should be equal but money brings out the best in services...;)

Haven't you heard of the origin of the word "tips"? In Eighteenth Century English taverns there would be a box fastened to the top of each table, with a slot cut in it. A coin dropped in the slot would strike a small gong in the box - the sound would bring the barmaid or serving boy on the run. The boxes originally carried the legend: "To Insure Prompt Service" - ultimately abbreviated to "TIPS" once the drinking/dining public got the idea. Yes, money does bring out the best in services.

Well of course not. But they also get a paycheck from HAL.

Which is hardly anything... they don't have to follow US Labor laws... no OT... pennies for a paycheck if anything really. So they really don't make much at all per cruise. Enough compared to what they would make in their countries... but would be very poor if they lived in the states.

Which is hardly anything... they don't have to follow US Labor laws... no OT... pennies for a paycheck if anything really.
Do you have any evidence that they are actually getting "pennies for a paycheck"? How many pennies exactly?

So they really don't make much at all per cruise. Enough compared to what they would make in their countries... but would be very poor if they lived in the states.
But they don't live in the states. Most of HAL's crew are Indonesian, where the cost of living is a lot lower than the states and their HAL income is quite substantial. Look I'm not saying they don't work hard, but I work hard too for my modest salary. It's a fallacy to compare salaries and job requirements between different parts of the world.

Seriously -- If you do not wish to tip the people who deliver meals or snacks -- that is up to you.

Having done quite a few sailings on HAL as well as other cruise lines -- we are aware of the long hours and hard work the staff do.

To give them a tip for doing something that is a pleasure for us is just a small way of thanking them for making our cruise an enjoyable one.

The wife's best friend granddaugther was a dancer on Princess for several years and she lived here in the states. They made nothing so to speak, the story they are told you are getting to see the world and getting paid for it. The wages vary from the service staff, but a friend of mine also played piano on several cruise lines, after getting off he could not even afford the deposit on an apartment here. He makes more now in one night on shore than a week on ship.

But I tip for great service and I do not care what their salary is. What they make or anyone else makes should not determine the size of a tip. Just my Opinion not trying to change anyone elses view on tipping, to each their own.

Archived