Guarantee-what did you end up with?

azgkrudi

I wasn't sure if a thread was ever started regarding this subject in the past.

If you have ever booked a "guarantee":

1. which category did you book the GTY in?

2. which Regent ship?

3. what category/suite number did you end up with?

4. how far before the sailing did you find out?

Just curious :)

We were GTY H in May 07 on the Mariner for Alaska, we got our docs about 30 days before departure and ended up on deck 10 in a D. We are Silver Seven Seas Society. Our boys were on deck 9 and in a E which I think is exactly the same size.

Not really, I really only expect a C, and they can give me any C they like. That's the downside, sometimes you get a cabin that's less than idea. But occasionally, you get an upgrade. What it actually means is that you will get *at least* that grade of cabin. In my case, I don't care because I was originally booked in a non-balcony suite, so wherever I am, I will be happy.

I

1. which category did you book the GTY in? - D (most expensive standard cabin)

2. which Regent ship? - Mariner

3. what category/suite number did you end up with? - PH C...don't recall number but do recall having a choice of a few cabins so we got one positioned as we like

4. how far before the sailing did you find out? - again, don't recall precisely, but it was before we got the docs (i.e., 4 + weeks out)

See above

Wendy, why don't you just book a specific room then? Is it because there is no availability for that level or something?

When I book I am always given a specific cabin number. Should I ask for a guarantee in order to later acquire an upgrade?

Sorry I'm not understanding this process.

Thanks.

3. what category/suite number did you end up with? - PH C...don't recall number but do recall having a choice of a few cabins so we got one positioned as we like

Ahh! Just the kind of response I wanted. I hadn't heard that you may have a choice among cabins at any point, I just figured they'd place you where they wanted. I am sure this is not the norm, but I like to hear things like this!

We are booked in a G GTY for our May 2009 Voyager cruise and have never tried GTY. I am excited - after all these cruises we've booked where we knew exactly what our cabin was, I think the element of surprise will be kind of fun.

Not really, I really only expect a C, and they can give me any C they like.

Wendy, that's fabulous! I would certainly be more than happy with anything C and higher on the PG. I've been told that the C's sell out first, so you never know, you could end up in something higher, maybe even an owner's suite!

I booked an E cabin. I got a late upgrade for a great price to a C GTY. Yes, it's great, because our friend Jim got this too, and never would have booked a C since the single supplement is normally prohibitive. So we're both waiting patiently to see what we get, but are just ecstatic to have a balcony at all.

Most people book a GTY because there are no actual cabins available at the level they book. So they are guaranteed the *price* of that level, but can be put anywhere above it. Usually aren't, I believe.

We haven't tried the GTY thing yet because our son still travels with us (that will probably soon end), and we have to have a cabin that is for 3 people. Not a whole lot of those, so we just have booked a specific cabin thus far. However, I think it would be great fun to try in the future.

In December, I booked Category D Guarantee on single supplement and received Category D, cabin 840 (Navigator). Last October, I booked Category G Guarantee and received Category G cabin 708 (Voyager). For the cruise this time, I booked category G cabin 651, taking an assignment. Since it is Christmas, I figured it would sell out anyway.

We booked an H Guarantee on Voyager for a Med cruise in 2007. We were delighted to get a C Horizon suite, allocated a couple of weeks before travel. I suspect the talk of vibration in those suites put people off, but we had no troubles and would take an Horizon suite in a flash.

Thanks for the responses! Keep them coming.

We are not expecting any higher category than we paid for, but I think it would be great to score a Horizon Suite like some of you have. We spent enough time on the Horizon Lounge deck to know that the vibration didn't bother us at ALL. 'Course, that was in the Med. It will no doubt be more rough on our way from Canada to Iceland!

I don't think you are offered to purchase a guarantee (GTY) unless that category is sold out - otherwise you would just book an actual cabin number. We booked a GTY G for the upcoming Voyager chocolate cruise - that was the only option we had as all the cabins were sold out as well as GTY for all the other categories. We haven't gotten a cabin assignment yet- with embarkation in 3 weeks I'm assuming we'll find out at embarkation, but we're checking the MyCruises site every day.

I don't think you are offered to purchase a guarantee (GTY) unless that category is sold out - otherwise you would just book an actual cabin number. We booked a GTY G for the upcoming Voyager chocolate cruise - that was the only option we had as all the cabins were sold out as well as GTY for all the other categories. We haven't gotten a cabin assignment yet- with embarkation in 3 weeks I'm assuming we'll find out at embarkation, but we're checking the MyCruises site every day.

Hi Jina - That's the same cruise we're on! Are you on our roll call? We've had our assignment for ages but we booked our guarantee a long time ago. Please let me know what you end up with. Did you make your dinner reservations yet? I made ours this morning and a couple of nights were totally booked already but I was still able to get a reservation for both restaurants. Good luck on the GTY!

Could someone please comment about booking a guaranteed room.

Do you book a guaranteed level, even if a cabin exists within that level anyway?

Thanks,

Basedow

My understanding is that you can not seek a GTY, you may be offered one if the category you try to book is sold out (or maybe close to sold out). Then, close to sailing,a review of suite allocations is made. Then if necessary, offers are made to perhaps upgrade for a cost and suites are allocated. Thus you never get less than your GTY, but you may get better.

Linda&Jeff- yes, we're on the roll call. Can't wait to meet you! I sure hope hurricaine season is over by then- but I suppose if the weather is rough, we will still have chocolate, the open bar and each other :-).

Here's another related question - has anyone ever booked a GTY room and then been told at the last minute there will be no cabins available and have to book a different cruise? I sure hope not - it would stink having to re-arrange work calendars and deal with rebooking airfare if we don't end up on this cruise. That and we're emotionally committed to this cruise - bring on the chocolate! Our crusie has been listed as "waitlist only" for the last few weeks so I'm assuming our assignment will happen due to someone else canceling thier booking - so what if no one cancels?

My understanding is that you can not seek a GTY, you may be offered one if the category you try to book is sold out (or maybe close to sold out). Then, close to sailing,a review of suite allocations is made. Then if necessary, offers are made to perhaps upgrade for a cost and suites are allocated. Thus you never get less than your GTY, but you may get better.

This sounds about right. On our 10/18/08 Voyager sailing, we had booked a Penthouse B, received our docs and everything...then about 10 days prior to departure, Regent contacted our TA and offered us a Grand Suite for a substantially reduced upcharge. We passed on it (the PHB was plenty for us). Then on board the ship, we spoke to SEVERAL passengers who had gotten similar calls for upsells.

• 1 month later...

The term "GUARANTEE" implies that you would NOT be assigned to a different cruise; it merely means that they cannot guarantee WHICH cabin you get. This allows the cruise line to fill the ship, as long as you don't need to specify a particular cabin.

Also of note; quite frequently, on Travelocity, Holland America especially seems to offer GUAR cabins even when there are cabins available in that category.

I ended up finding out our suite assignment during embarkation. We reserved a GTY G and received a G suite.

BTW I found out once on board that since our cruise had been waitlist only for a couple of months, some folks were actually called the week prior to be told they could not honor their GTY and had to reschedule to another cruise (or cancel I guess), so I would say in most cases GTY means you will be on that sailing, but it does sound like there are rare cases where that may not be the case.

Archived