Caveat emptor on NCL suites

Slyfox16

We recently were on the Jewel in an AC suite, which is at the front of the ship. The room was spacious and nicely laid out. We enjoyed sitting outside during the day or having breakfast on the balcony.

The suite is under the bridge. When we booked the cruise through NCL, we were never told that you could not have your curtains open at night or that you could not sit outside with the lights on. Also if you have any bad weather, you are the first to feel it when the waves hit the ship and the bow goes up and down.

I think that anyone reserving these suites should be made aware of this, as it would have made us think twice before picking this room. We had a good time, but are not sure we would pick this cabin again.

Yes that is the chance you take with forward facing cabins . They have great big balconys BUT , lights out at night and the wind can be a problem under way. This is why so many on these boards will check six ways to Sunday when researching a cabin.. Its all here , you just have to look for it.

Hope you had a good cruise anyway..;)

Thanks for posting this information once again. It seems every couple of weeks someone comes here surprised by the same issues. The ACs are wonderful but had you done a little checking here before you booked the concerns you raised after your cruise would have been known before you booked.

I read about the "lights-out" issue on these boards in 2004 before we got our first upsell to an AD at the bow of the Sun. The lack of a little outside light at night would certainly never deter me from booking one of those marvelous forward suites with the HUGE balconies. We've had two and would love another.

For all you Latin students, Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware), or to put it more plainly, do your homework.

I've had both 10000, and 10500 aboard the Pearl, and absolutely love these exrea large cabins under the bridge. In fact, I booked 10000 again aboard the Jewel for New years, 2010. These two cabins have a bump out which gives you quite a bit of additional square footage inside, and still leaves a very nice size balcony. I used the balcony at all hours of the day and night, and there was always enough light from the bridge shining down on the balcony to be able to see quite well. I really didn't mind having the curtains drawn after dark, so all in all, I was very satisfied with these rooms.;)

Originally posted by Cruise_More_Often

I read about the "lights-out" issue on these boards in 2004 before we got our first upsell to an AD at the bow of the Sun. The lack of a little outside light at night would certainly never deter me from booking one of those marvelous forward suites with the HUGE balconies. We've had two and would love another.

This would be my #1 reason for booking one of these suites!! Each cruise I leave my inside cabin at night, in search of a place where the light is lowest so that I can see the sea and the stars without the light pollution. These days the public decks are flooded with lights for safety/security purposes. I dream of that forward suite, under the bridge, with my perfect night-time view and the wind whipping terrifically. Also I dream of that Pride of America feature where they turn off the lights to view the lava flow at night....To each his own!

(hi Adele!)

I had an AC on the Dawn last year. I booked it after reading about the down sides of a forward facing cabin on here but it was a last minute trip and there weren't many other suites left. It was a Bermuda curise with about 3 days in port so we were able to use the balcony most of the time. As I had been warned, it was very windy on the balcony when the ship was moving and I did miss being able to sit out there at night b/c the wind was much too strong. I didn't mind the "lights out," as the PP said there is plenty of light from the bridge. We hit some rough seas coming back and there was A LOT of motion. It almost felt like a rollor coster ride. All in all I still enjoyed the cruise but if I have a choice of another suite (like an AB) I would not pick this cabin again.

Now that I am armed with that information I know I would never book a forward suite. It just would not suit me at all.

I am so glad I found these boards last summer before I cruised for the first time and that I have continued to visit here since. I jumped on an aft balcony cabin when I saw one was available for the cruise I wanted but only because I read about it here.

As others have said, all this information is here ... I found it three or so years ago and decided not to book an AC on that basis.

Having said that, I would now book the two middle ACs on 10 - they have a nice overhang from the bridge, a bumped out very large cabin - very nice. But I would only do so for a warm weather sailing.

booked the cruise through NCL, we were never told that you could not have your curtains open at night or that you could not sit outside with the lights on

While I'll agree everyone should do their research - HOWEVER - that being said NCL should have told them when they booked (if they spoke with them and not web booked). Not everyone comes to CC or even knows about these threads. I'm always amazed while on cruises how many people don't know about these boards.

While I'll agree everyone should do their research - HOWEVER - that being said NCL should have told them when they booked (if they spoke with them and not web booked). Not everyone comes to CC or even knows about these threads. I'm always amazed while on cruises how many people don't know about these boards.

And you should not be amazed how many customer service reps have never been on a ship and have no idea about the details of an AC other then what we all can read on the website.

I would never book an AC again ( unless it was for some reason cheap) but I would book the identical floorplan suite at the stern for normally quite a lot less, not such a big balcony at all but at least you can leave the door to the balcony open when its raining and not get water coming in.

Without a doubt I love being Aft, but I won't say I would never ever not book an Owners suite forward. Honestly I have always wanted to give one a try. I do understand that the wind is an issue on sea days, but don't the OE's have a side balcony? I think the OP stayed in an AC and an Owners suite is an AA (I think, don't flame me if i'm wrong), but I might would give one of them a try some day. My DDP is so sold on the Aft I doubt I will ever have a chance.. LOL.. but.. who knows.

Also, while I do think NCL should mention the issue of having to keep your curtains closed at night, etc, I don't think it is something they should be bashed for not doing. On both the Sun and the Pearl on our Aft balcony we got napkins, banana peels, etc from the outdoor eating venue above. Should NCl have warned us about that? I know I know.. I will be accused of being a cheerleader for saying that, but I'm the first one to say when I think NCL has done something wrong, I just don't think this is something I would bash them for not doing.

And one last thing.. As far as the OP doing their research, maybe they didn't know about CC or that you could do that much research about a cabin until they were on the cruise. Maybe they met someone who told them about CC, etc. I know it sounds unlikely, but it is still a possibility. Just don't want to see the OP bashed for coming on here and posting good information, like they did something wrong.

While I can't speak for the Jewel. I can say without a doubt that many balconies, on many ships have no light at night for the very same reason. I have been on Carnival, HAL, and Celebrity side suites with no light allowed. I think it would be impossible for a cruise line to warn of all of the possible negatives for each cabin. They would have to list where a door the crew uses, and lets slam, that you can hear the bowling ally noise in the AE bathrooms (not in the main part though) and so on.

Al

We recently were on the Jewel in an AC suite, which is at the front of the ship. The room was spacious and nicely laid out. We enjoyed sitting outside during the day or having breakfast on the balcony.

The suite is under the bridge. When we booked the cruise through NCL, we were never told that you could not have your curtains open at night or that you could not sit outside with the lights on. Also if you have any bad weather, you are the first to feel it when the waves hit the ship and the bow goes up and down.

I think that anyone reserving these suites should be made aware of this, as it would have made us think twice before picking this room. We had a good time, but are not sure we would pick this cabin again.

I definitely do agree with you the fact that you are required to close the curtains at night and sit in the dark on the balcony, that should definitely be told up front when booking a forward cabin.

The whole wave action thing though, first time cruiser or not, thats pretty much common sense i have to say, and no cruise line can faulted for that.

• Administrators

A good post to summarize many of the issues with the forward-facing cabins which (yes, as others have said) do appear here fairly frequently. You didn't mention the wind while underway, which is another common complaint of those cabins. I also agree with you that NCL's computer should flag at least the no lights at night and wind issues for those booking them. The weather thing -- well, it's fairly common knowledge that if motion is a problem for you, neither the forward or aft portions of a ship are an ideal placement, due to pitching.

For a different take -- for cruises with panoramic viewing possibilities, like Alaska or the Panama Canal, those forward cabins would be the best spot on many NCL ships, which don't have wide-open public decks forward. Unlike the aft and sides, forward there are no overhanging cabins/balconies, glass screens, etc. to interfere with the view. One of my dreams is one of those forward cabins during a Panama Canal cruise.

Glad you had a good time on your cruise!

I guess this will be one of those "different strokes for different folks" postings.

On our very first NCL cruise we had an AC. We loved it. Not being able to have the lights on while outside during the night, was never an issue. We wanted to be able to see the stars while out in the ocean. We loved being out there at night...it was peaceful and quiet. And keeping the curtains closed was a no brainer for us as we always keep them shut at night.

Now the one thing that did skake us up a bit, initially, was the hatch door that needed to be closed up tight when you went to sleep...but we got over that quickly. Regarding the "wind," well the balcony is so huge that if the wind is problematic you can move back closer to the windows and you'll be wind free pretty much. I guess we're a bit crazy because, again, we loved being right out there in the wind whilst sailing the sea...a nice cup of hot tea or coffee and we were in heaven.

Even as first time cruisers, we figured we'd feel the ship in rougher weather...so when it got a little bouncy we weren't surprised.

My ultimate dream vacation is to repeat our Panama Canal cruise...this time in an AC.

I guess this will be one of those "different strokes for different folks" postings.

On our very first NCL cruise we had an AC. We loved it. Not being able to have the lights on while outside during the night, was never an issue. We wanted to be able to see the stars while out in the ocean. We loved being out there at night...it was peaceful and quiet. And keeping the curtains closed was a no brainer for us as we always keep them shut at night.

Now the one thing that did skake us up a bit, initially, was the hatch door that needed to be closed up tight when you went to sleep...but we got over that quickly. Regarding the "wind," well the balcony is so huge that if the wind is problematic you can move back closer to the windows and you'll be wind free pretty much. I guess we're a bit crazy because, again, we loved being right out there in the wind whilst sailing the sea...a nice cup of hot tea or coffee and we were in heaven.

Even as first time cruisers, we figured we'd feel the ship in rougher weather...so when it got a little bouncy we weren't surprised.

My ultimate dream vacation is to repeat our Panama Canal cruise...this time in an AC.

I don't know about the hatch door thingie.. Would you tell more about that?

I was in an AC suite on the Jade for two weeks going through the Panama Canal. The cabin and balcony were both great. The wind was not an issue. One day the papers on the table stayed put without a paper weight. On another day the paper weight was needed. I spent hours on the balcony on sea days. The views going into port are great. And its a must have for the transit through the canal.

I was in an AC suite on the Jade for two weeks going through the Panama Canal. The cabin and balcony were both great. The wind was not an issue. One day the papers on the table stayed put without a paper weight. On another day the paper weight was needed. I spent hours on the balcony on sea days. The views going into port are great. And its a must have for the transit through the canal.

Yes, those AC's are great for the Panama Canal and Glacier Bay (Alaska).

On our recent Panama Canal, we had a progressive party, going from an A3 to an AC to an AD with an AB thrown in. Our butlers even set up munchies in three of the rooms. What a day to remember.

I read the thread title and my first thought was 'Caveat emptor' for everything!! :) (not just NCL suites) I just think it's true of any product; many we take for granted because we have so much experience with them that we're aware of all the possibilities. I know to check my eggs before putting the carton in my shopping cart, for instance.

So what about NCL suites? How can a buyer really know that they are aware of all the potential issues before making their purchase? Cruise Critic!!

Thank you to the OP and the others on this thread who have given us all such helpful information concerning the forward suites (I'm sure NCL isn't the only line with this potential issue, also). :) It's just not something I ever would have even thought about - it make complete sense, I just never would have thought about it. I love Cruise Critic! :)

This would be my #1 reason for booking one of these suites!! Each cruise I leave my inside cabin at night, in search of a place where the light is lowest so that I can see the sea and the stars without the light pollution. These days the public decks are flooded with lights for safety/security purposes. I dream of that forward suite, under the bridge, with my perfect night-time view and the wind whipping terrifically. Also I dream of that Pride of America feature where they turn off the lights to view the lava flow at night....To each his own!

We had an AC on the Pearl in Alaska in Sept 2007. We loved it. I don't think there was a better place on board for viewing as we cruised through Glacier Bay. We also enjoyed in while cruising the inside passage. I would take one of these suites again in a minute.

That said, they are apparently not for everyone. They can be windier and cooler.

We also did the POA back in January 2006 and saw the lava flow at night. We had a blast on this cruise and may do it again in a couple years.

How can an NCL rep be expected to know the details of every cabin, much less subjective things such as whether this bow is "good" or "bad"? Some folks avoid aft cabins (too much motion), some folks avoid those near elevators, all of this is highly subjective. Also, frankly, there are some just plain bad cabins (eg under the pool deck). It is silly to expect NCL to point out every plus and minus. So, do you research, or hire a TA that will do it for you.

Archived