We're Going BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BERMUDA

ocngypz

Well Bermuda should not get over crowded as only two large ships can dock at Dockyard, unless another one achors off and tenders in. But even then there are so many places ot go on the island, that it should not be an issue. HAL's Veendam will be docking in St. George and Hamilton but not until later in 2010 and all of 2011. Bermuda used to have up to 5 ships in at a time, so 3-4 should be fine, as they are more spread out.

[i wish that Celebrity would consider Bermuda as a place to sail from or possibly RCL. I think there is a definite market from Florida but they must have their reasons for not developing that.

Bermuda is several hundred miles farther from Florida than it is from New York to Florida. It would cut out a lot of port time and use more fuel. That is why the cruise lines don't schedule many cruises from Florida that have Bermuda on their itinerary. The Florida market is the Caribbean.

This is good news...

It'll be interesting to see how many overnights Celebrity plans for Bermuda. I know that the HAL Veendam plans on 4 nights. The NCL Dawn does 3 overnights.

I'll also be interested in price differences between Celebrity Summit and HAL Veendam.... :)

Bermuda is several hundred miles farther from Florida than it is from New York to Florida. It would cut out a lot of port time and use more fuel. That is why the cruise lines don't schedule many cruises from Florida that have Bermuda on their itinerary. The Florida market is the Caribbean.

Your right Florida is primarily a Caribbean Market and the difference and the distance in nautical miles is about 250 nautical miles but I still would love to see them do a few sailing a year. Not likely but one can dream.

Hi Everyone !

Just off Solstice today. Celebrity did confirm Summit to Bermuda in 2010, and as Ocngypz mentioned, it will be 7 night sailings (likely from Bayonne), though I did hear that not all of the details are complete yet.

I'm glad we know the basics. As I feel that Close to home sailings will be the big feature for Cruising in 2009 and 2010, I feel this is a very wise decision by Celebrity !

That's great news! It means we'll be able to get my SIL back on a cruise! She doesn't care for cruising, but did enjoy the Century. Her kids love cruising and just today she talked about doing a cruise as a graduation gift for her son in summer 2010. She said she's prefer Celebrity and to cruise out of Bayonne. This sounds like it will be a perfect fit!

Wish they would do more than just Bermuda from Bayonne. Would like to do a B2B, but don't know if it would be boring going back and forth to Bermuda for 2 weeks.

Anne Maria

Hi CruisingChick :)

I posted these similar comments on the Solstice thread.

I think it would be in Celebrity's best interest to home port one of the Solstice class ships in the Northeast for the entire year.

Due to the weak economy coupled with competition from other cruise lines in the Caribbean and Europe, Celebrity is practically giving away cruises on these new ships when they should be charging a premium for them.

It appears that almost every round trip cruise from the New York area gets much higher per diem rates than when the same ship leaves from another port.

Hi Sky Sweet,

I guess great minds from CT think alike. I don't care if it's Solstice Class or M Class. Either one would suit me fine. We live 58 miles from Cape Liberty so I could afford to take more cruises per year if we only had to drive to the pier. Maybe even do 3 a year. That would be heaven. I could even afford to pay more for the cruise since I wouldn't have to fly anywhere so they could ACTUALLY raise prices on their cruises out of Bayonne. Look at all the people that live within a driving radius of that pier. It has to be enough to support a ship their all year long.

Anne Maria

I posted these similar comments on the Solstice thread.

I think it would be in Celebrity's best interest to home port one of the Solstice class ships in the Northeast for the entire year.

Due to the weak economy coupled with competition from other cruise lines in the Caribbean and Europe, Celebrity is practically giving away cruises on these new ships when they should be charging a premium for them.

It appears that almost every round trip cruise from the New York area gets much higher per diem rates than when the same ship leaves from another port.

Hi Sky !

For the most part, I agree. My concern is, Celebrity should have protected this market 2 years ago. Instead, they let it go, and now they have to rebuild it again. In the meantime, there are many other ships sailing out of NY/NJ, and the competition will be huge. Judging from the emails I am recieving, it seems there are just as many sales for this region, as anywhere else. Frankly, its hard to predict what regions are going to work best, as the economy gets worse by the day. The one thing I strongly feel, is that closer to home sailings will prove to be the best option for Cruise lines for all of 2009, and probably 2010. I continue to believe that Celebrity is overdeployed in Europe. We will see how that plays out.

I'm all for Celebrity having 1 ship in the NY area Year-Round, but with this economy, it wont be easy. If it were my decision, I would play it safe. I'd try it for 6 months and see what the demand is. If it proves to be successful, I would then make it year-round the following year. With 4 S-Class ships on the way, it will give Celebrity more deployment flexibility, especially if they do not lose any of the older ships. That part remains to be seen as well.

Hi Everyone !

This makes sense, as Summit will probably take over Constellation's Canada/New England itineraries in late 2010. Summit will probably sail Bermuda from May - Mid September 2010, then have Summit sail Canada/New England immediately after her Bermuda season. Typically, the Canada/New England season is just a few sailings, and lasts about 6-8 weeks. It will be interesting to see what they do with Summit after October 2010, and to see what plans Celebrity has for Constellation.

Over the past few years, Celebrity's deployment news has been pretty ho-hum. I have a feeling we will see some interesting news, when Celebrity's new deployments are announced in March-May 2009, assuming the date range stays the same as previous years.

I am hopeful that Rick (Chessbriar) will share his thoughts with us.

I really wish they would also do some summer New England/Canada cruises also.

Anne Maria

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES TO INCREASE CAPACITY

ON 2010 NEW YORK DEPARTURES

110,000-ton Carnival Glory to Operate Atlantic Canada and Fall Foliage

Cruises

MIAMI (Nov. 20, 2008) – Carnival Cruise Lines will increase

capacity on its seasonal cruise program from New York in 2010 with the

2,978-passenger Carnival Glory scheduled to operate a variety of four

and five-day Atlantic Canada voyages from June to September, followed

by a series of five week-long fall foliage cruises.

It marks the first time that Carnival has deployed one of its

largest ships on the highly popular program. The 110,000-ton Carnival

Glory features a wide variety of exceptional facilities, amenities and

stateroom accommodation categories. Additionally, departing from New

York makes these cruises extremely convenient and attractive for the

huge population base within driving distance of Manhattan, as well as

for those in the larger eastern U.S. region who can take a short-haul

flight to one of the area’s three major airports.

Four-day cruises departing Thursdays feature a call at Saint John, New

Brunswick and scenic cruising in the Bay of Fundy, while five-day

cruises departing on Mondays and Saturdays include stops at Saint John

and Halifax, Nova Scotia. The program commences with a four-day

voyage departing June 6, 2010 (a one-time Sunday departure).

Week-long fall foliage itineraries beginning Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010,

feature four different ports of call, including Boston, Mass.,

Portland, Maine, Saint John and Halifax, offering a variety of

opportunities to view stunning fall colors and explore these charming

coastal cities.

“These itineraries have proven exceptionally popular among consumers

seeking a summer or fall getaway that combines the history and beauty

of these scenic ports with the excitement, value and spirited fun of a

Carnival vacation,” said Lynn Torrent, Carnival’s senior vice

president of sales and guest services. “By operating this program in

2010 on one of our newest and largest ships, we anticipate that both

past guests and new cruisers alike will be enticed by these refreshing

itineraries coupled with the huge array of facilities and amenities

offered on the Carnival Glory.”

The $500 million Carnival Glory features 22 lounges and bars, four

swimming pools, a 214-foot-long water slide, a 14,500-square-foot

health club, an Internet café, jogging track and extensive duty free

shopping options. A comprehensive golf program offering instruction

both aboard ship and during golf excursions is also featured.

In addition to a 1,400-seat poolside eatery with a 24-hour

pizzeria, the ship includes twin two-level formal restaurants and a

reservations-only supper club offering U.S.D.A. prime dry-aged beef

and other gourmet cuisine.

Sixty percent of Carnival Glory’s 1,489 spacious staterooms

offer either an ocean view or private balcony. All staterooms feature

the “Carnival Comfort Bed” sleep system with plush mattresses,

luxurious duvets and high quality pillows and linens.

Carnival Glory also offers expansive facilities and

complimentary activities for children and teens, with its “Camp

Carnival,” “Circle C” and “Club O2” programs catering to different age

groups.

The cruise line is currently accepting reservations for both

its 2009 and 2010 departures from New York (2009 voyages will operate

on the Carnival Triumph). For additional information or reservations,

contact any travel agent.

I really wish they would also do some summer New England/Canada cruises also.

Anne Maria

I feel the same way.

This past August we took a cruise from New York to Canada on Carnival because it was the only option for that itinerary during the summer.

There is apparently a lot of demand for cruises to Canada during the summer because our Carnival Cruise had per diem rates that were substantially higher than what they normally charge, and our ship was filled to capacity with 3,400 passengers.

I would also love it if Celebrity did a few round trip winter cruises from the NY/NJ area to the Caribbean.

We took one years ago and it was so relaxing. Even though the first and last day of the cruise were cold, I thought it made the experience more enjoyable to have a gradual change from winter to tropical weather.

Getting back to Celebrity using SUMMIT for Bermuda. Looks like a beautiful ship but I'm a bit leery about booking only because of the issue with the azipods. It would be a pity if time were lost in Bermuda due to an issue with the pods. It's not as if they could go to a different place..... not much else out there besides Bermuda ;)

I feel the same way.

This past August we took a cruise from New York to Canada on Carnival because it was the only option for that itinerary during the summer.

There is apparently a lot of demand for cruises to Canada during the summer because our Carnival Cruise had per diem rates that were substantially higher than what they normally charge, and our ship was filled to capacity with 3,400 passengers.

Our first two cruises were to Canada/New England from NYC in August. The first was the Big Red Boat II (still one of my all time favorite vacations) and the second on the Regal Empress. I love going north in the Summer and South in the winter. There's no reason Celebrity couldn't keep a ship in NJ all year long and do that.

I mean they are bringing Mercury to Baltimore in the middle of winter for 2010. MD is not much farther south than NJ.

Anne Maria

As for booking Carnival out of NYC to go anywhere - not sure I could get my husband on a Carnival ship. Not only that but I would constantly hear Kathy Lee Gifford singing that obnoxious song she use to sing when she did those Carnival commercials.

Also, I'd probably spend the entire time comparing it to Celebrity - which I know I shouldn't. I think Celebrity must have spiked my martinis or something because I think they have me brainwashed.

Anne Maria

I'd like to bring together a few of the ideas from my previous posts on this thread.

In spite of all the deep discounts on cruises these days, the price for our cruise to Bermuda on NCL Dawn next June has been raised a few times since we booked it.

Carnival is the only cruise line that does a NYC to Canada itinerary in the summer and they get much higher per diems for those cruises than they normally do.

Cunard offers a few cruises from New York to the Caribbean during the winter which are considerably more expensive than most Caribbean Cruises.

With that in mind, I think it would be very profitable for Celebrity to keep a ship in the NY/NJ area year round by alternating their cruises to Canada and Bermuda when the weather is appropriate and then having Caribbean cruises during the winter months.

Archived