Just Returned from Venice - Info re: P.Roma to cruiseport & cruiseport to airport

Just returned on Saturday (Nov 15) from our RT Venice cruise on RCCL Splendour. Will do a review later, but had some issues with our transportation from Venice to the cruiseport & from the cruiseport to the Marco Polo airport, so want to share.

VENICE to CRUISEPORT - This is our 4th trip to Venice & we’ve spent about 5 weeks there. However, have never cruised to/from Venice & have always taken the train out of Venice. But, as a previous visitor & with lots of pre-cruise research, I felt comfortable that getting to the cruiseport would not be an issue. Well, actually it was very confusing for us, but maybe that is just us! But here’s some info for those who may need/want it:

1. SHUTTLE from P.ROMA to/from CRUISEPORT - We did a trial run on Friday, Nov 7 at about 2pm. Only RCCL Legend was in port. The shuttle was not there & we hung around for quite a while & checked before & after doing a test walk to the cruiseport.

On our sail date of Sat., Nov. 8, about 11 am, the shuttle was there. Several ships were in port that day. There were several buses parked in the same area, next to each other, away from the public buses. The other shuttle buses were not the general port shuttle. One was for MSC only (later decided we could have taken it; went to same port & it was free also). Anyway, in the window of one bus was a sign, “P.Roma/Maritima”, so we decided it must be the one. The shuttle is the size of a tour bus with luggage space below the seat area, loading from both sides. To be sure, I asked the driver, who was outside the bus talking with 2 other men. He totally brushed me off, refusing to open his mouth & talk. I asked, “Is this the free shuttle to the cruiseport for Royal Caribbean?”, because I had already discovered that the one bus was only for MSC. He grunted & shrugged, but I believe he understood. By talking with some of the people loading their luggage, we decided to take the chance, although none of them were going on the Splendour. Indeed, it was the correct bus & it did take us to the cruise port, & it was free, but it took us to a central bus parking area, not to our terminal - which we did not know which was our terminal & we were pulling/hauling luggage, & the cruiseport area is huge. We had no idea of which direction to go. There were not any signs pointing to our ship or terminal. We hated the thought of walking a long way to nowhere. By asking several ‘offical looking people’ who just happened to be walking by, we discovered our terminal was #117 & we were pointed in the correct direction. On our walking trial run the day before, we had learned that the guard in a hut at the entrance would send us in the correct direction, but with luggage in tow, we wanted to avoid the back-tracking walk, which luckily we did avoid. Checkin was already underway, was not crowded, & was a breeze.

I’ll try to explain WHERE the SHUTTLE is LOCATED at P.ROMA -

A. P.Roma is bordered on 1 side by a road (road goes behind the

Information Booth) & is the road to take if walking to the cruiseport.

B. P.Roma is bordered on 2 sides by the canal;

one side has the new huge & mega # of steps bridge leading to the

train station;

there is a vaporetto station on the P.Roma side just next to the bridge;

this vaporetto station is an easy way to/from the train station and

Venice, rather than taking the mega # of steps bridge.

C. the 4th side is a pedestrian street (reached by some down steps);

these steps & street are behind the shuttle buses.

D. if you are facing the front of the shuttle buses, on your left is a

canal;

behind you is the new mega bridge to the train station & a canal;

to your right is a vehicle road;

behind the shuttle buses are the steps to the pedestrian street.

E. P.Roma Information Booth - if you are facing the new bridge to the

train station, a large walkup Information Booth is on your left.

2. WALKING from P.ROMA to the MARITIMA CRUISEPORT - On our trial run the day before our cruise, we got lost trying to find this route. The line at the P.Roma Info Booth was long & we didn’t want to wait; that’s why we got lost! Anyway, if you are looking at the Info Booth, the vehicle road behind the Booth is an L shape, but shaped like an L on its side, sort of __l (best I can do on a keyboard). You can either take the road to the Left, or walk straight down the side of the Info Booth building, cross the road & continue going straight, not left.

Go straight, & cross the street so that you will be walking on the left side of the road (according to the direction you are walking). This street, with sidewalk, will take you directly to the cruiseport. I believe that along the way we crossed one street (not a busy one). Stay on the left side of the street, because you will turn Left into the cruiseport. We never did find the old metal bridge that sometimes can be used & sometimes not. But our route was easy, once we found which way to go. We found it to be an easy walk & took about 10 minutes; we are senior citizens. No steps, except the curb of the one street crossing. Part of the walk was a slight upgrade.

However, turning into the cruiseport area is not the end of the walk. It is about the same distance to actually get to the terminals, but no steps & terrain is flat. After turning Left into the cruiseport area, continuing on the left sidewalk, we just kept walking. Came to a roundabout & went around the left side of it, until we were on the other side of the roundabout, continuing in a straight line from the direction we were previously going. Not long after the roundabout is a guard hut. Went there & she could not tell us the terminal # until the actual day the ship is in port. As it turned out on our sail date, our terminal #117 was still quite a way from the guard hut. On this trial run, we went past the guard hut to look around & did not see any directional signs offering any explanations. There were two info looking type booths, forget what they said, but no one was there.

I’m confident that if we had chosen to walk the next day, it would have been simple to do. We would have asked the guard which terminal & then gone directly there. Probably less confusing than the shuttle bus dropoff!

3. ALILAGUNA WATER BUS - during our trial walk, & our wandering around the cruiseport area, we did see this water bus & dock. I’m not sure if there are steps from the water bus to the dock level, but if so, couldn’t be many because the bus was level or almost level with the dock level; could have been a ramp; don‘t know. The water bus runs between San Marco & the cruiseport. This seems a simple way to get to the ship, if one is departing/arriving near San Marco. Would still not know which way to go to which terminal once disembark the water bus at the cruiseport, but I’m sure someone would advise. There is a charge for luggage however; not sure how much; not sure if one bag is free. Pricing nfo should be on the Alilaguna website; find via Google. I think one of the info looking booths I mentioned above was for buying tickets on the Alilugana.

4. TAXI - Did not look for these at P.Roma, but I am sure they are there. Don’t know how closely the taxi can get one to the ship, but would simplify finding the terminal since must drive thru the guard check & the guard would advise. To me, taxi seems the easiest way, however, the other options are doable for those of us who don’t like to mess with taxi drivers (like my DH!).

5. PRIVATE VEHICLE TRANSPORT by ADVANCE RESERVATION - I’m assuming this is a possibility if one can set a time as to when he/she will be at P.Roma to meet the driver. However, in Venice some charge highly for wait time if the customer is late, & some require a credit card hold, which is unusual in other major cities in the US & Europe. And of course, one is paying a great deal for such a short ride.

CRUISEPORT to MARCO POLO AIRPORT via TAXI - This did not go smoothly for us either. From my advance research, I thought lots of taxis would be right outside the ship like in other cities. No they were not & no one was directing to taxis. We carried off our own luggage & were advised to do so between 6:45 - 7:15 a.m. We docked about 10 minutes late & were advised not to go to the first deck for disembarkation until the announcement. We were in our cabin, did not hear it (although we heard other announcements), & thus arrived on deck 1 at about 7:10 a.m. Either there were not many who chose this method or we were after the mass exodus.

Again with the method of asking everyone we could find, we were pointed in a direction. Then we saw signs directing to “Taxi”. It was not close to the ship at all. We arrived at a sign indicating the spot to wait. Two people were already there, so we formed a line behind them. No taxis were there. They had not seen any taxis & had been there for about 5 minutes. Soon others joined us; ending up with about 10 other people. Eventually we had waited about 15 minutes without taxis, thinking all had taken people to the airport & would return. Then a van pulled into the taxi lane. It was a navy/dark blue color, no writing or symbols on the it, looked new, & resembled a hotel/airport shuttle; three rows of seats behind the driver this 2-2-3 seat configuration, with luggage behind the last seat accessed by a hatch back. He offered 60 euros for ride to Marco Polo (did not indicate if 60 euros per person or full van). Others jumped at it, but we were uncomfortable due to the lack of ID on the vehicle. Then another van, just like the other, appeared & a woman jumped out. We hadn’t noticed her in line, & hadn’t noticed that she left the line. She had walked further from the taxi sign, found 2 info booths further up in the cruiseport area (probably the same two we found on the previous day), they called a taxi for her, & she had returned to pick up her mate & bags. She offered us to share the 45 euros ride, which the driver heard & agreed. We accepted. At the airport, the driver said “No” to the 45 euros, saying it was 45 euros per group (we were 3, they were 2, which doesn't make sense!). None of us objected; we were just glad to get to the airport; the driver left with 90 euros. Note: on the way to the airport, I did inquire if the info booth people indicated whether any taxis would have ever shown up at the taxi sign, or were we required to have them call. She got the impression that it was likely that none would have shown up without a call.

Well, if you got this far, I know this post is very long, but I hope it helps someone. I also want to add that we had a wonderful trip & a great cruise. I will post the port reviews on the Med board, & the ship review on the RCCL board - as soon as I get organized! Unpacked, groceries in, mail picked up, errands done, but laundry & opening the mail still not done!

Happy traveling!

Hi Two at Sea. Thank you for the info. If you happen to see this post, feel free to email me, as I have some questions for you "Professional" Venice people!

We're sailing on the Splendour of the Seas in April 09, and I'm a bit concerned with our return flights 9:30am. In 2009 the ship is supposed to be in port at 5am not 7am. However RCCL still says flights cannot return prior to 11:30am. I'm getting nervous, but also don't want to spend the $400+ to change our flights.

Betsy & Jerry. betsybou@yahoo.com thank you.

Just to add a little information to this thread. We ended our cruise in Venice on the Grand Princess on Oct 29th.

When we filled out the form on the Grand and stated we had our own independent transport to Piazzale Roma, the purser's desk called and asked the name of the company. I said we were just planning on taking the "free shuttle" or a taxi. I was told we would have to take the ship's shuttle for $24 per person as there would not be a "free shuttle" nor any taxi's unless we specifically arranged for one.

So this information is clearly known by the ship and should be known by the information booth too.

Long story short, we paid Princess $24 pp for a 5 minute ride from the ship to Piazzale Roma.

I did write a review and included our disappointment that the cruiseline is more interested in selling their excursions than in providing information for those that choose to go indepedent. And we found directions and info generally lacking throughout our Med cruise for the independent traveller.

We were on the same Nov. 8 cruise, actually did the Nov. 1 and 8 b2b.

Hi twoatsea! Sorry you had so much trouble with the taxi and getting info.

Our experience was much different. We stayed on the mainland in the Campalto area the night before, as the hotel was much cheaper. The morning we were leaving the hotel, we asked for them to call us a taxi. They said, it will cost 40 Euro to get to the port from here, why not just go around the corner and take the public bus for 1.1 Euro. So we did. It was a Sat and Nov. 1 which was a holiday, so the bus was quite crowded, but absolutely no problem. There is a luggage rack inside for smaller pieces, and some nice guy helped us lift our luggage onboard.

We got off at P. Roma, and from reading previous posts here, I had an idea where the shuttle bus was located. We walked there and sure enough, there was the free shuttle which we took to the port. It has a small sign in the front window that says free shuttle. It drops you off, I believe, at terminal 107. When we got off the bus, there was a luggage cart sitting there, which we used. We asked someone where the Splendour was and he pointed us in the right direction. I have to admit it was a bit disconcerting to start walking across the big parking lot towards the ship, which looked pretty far but it was a very easy walk, probably because we had that luggage cart.

On Nov. 8, the turnaround day for us, we left the ship with another couple we met onboard to tour Venice. We walked from the ship to P. Roma because we had no luggage and wanted to see how the walk was and determine if we could do that with our luggage when we left the ship. Without luggage, it was a nice walk, no steps, a little uphill at one point. We took the vaporetto from P. Roma to St. Marks.

On Nov. 15 we left the ship. Our flight wasn't until 12:05, so I didn't want to leave too early and battle the crowds. We took an 8:30 departure, met in our designated area at 8:20 and left the ship promptly at 8:30. Had no problem finding our luggage, and there were the same luggage carts in the terminal where we picked up the luggage, so we took one of them and pushed it to where the shuttle bus was at terminal 107. We were thinking of walking to P. Roma, but when we got to terminal 107, the free shuttle bus was just getting ready to leave and had no more room for luggage, so we waited for the next bus, which came in about 5 minutes. We took it to P. Roma and then went to the local bus again and for 1.1 Euro, got to the airport in about 15-20 minutes.

Now just to clarify, there are 2 buses you can take to the airport from P. Roma. One bus is an express and has the luggage area below. Most people go to this bus. I'm not sure, but think I read it is about 3 Euro. We went instead to the local bus, Bus #5, because that's what we took in and were familiar with it. There were a few other people with suitcases going to the airport on it also, but it wasn't very crowded at all.

I don't know if this plan would work as well if you are leaving the ship earlier, with the crowds of other people. When we left the ship, I think there were only 2 or 3 colors left to be called, so most people were already off the ship, and it wasn't very crowded at all. That made getting the shuttle bus and local bus to the airport much easier for us. Also, doing this depends on being able to handle your luggage. We each had one suitcase and one carryon. In retrospect, if we had more luggage, I think taking the ship's transfer would have been the better choice.

Hope this helps.

However RCCL still says flights cannot return prior to 11:30am. I'm getting nervous, but also don't want to spend the $400+ to change our flights.

How much will you spend if you miss your flight?

Depends on what time you can disembark the ship.

It takes less than 30 minutes to airport ( if you have a taxi) & you should be there 2 hrs prior

If it's any help, we were in a similar situation with flight times. We were due to dock at 8am and our flight was at 11.25. I too was a little concerned. We arranged on the ship to be in an early group for disembarkation but it was still almost half 9 before we were off.

I checked in online the day before. This cost me a fortune and a great deal of time as the ship's internet kept going down, but in the event it was worth it as we were able to check-in in minutes without queuing. I had also pre-arranged a taxi to the airport. This cost us 40 euros. I used Airports shuttle and they were excellent.

http://venice.airports-shuttle.com/

(Don't be put off when you click the link, the prices at the top are for water taxis, fill in the boxes about halfway down for a quote.)

The driver was waiting by the door as we exited the terminal..and had parked his car very close by the exit, I believe they are supposed to park some distance away. He actually was told off for this as we arrived..but he just shrugged his shoulders, totally unconcerned. :D

In the event we were in the departure area for about an hour before our flight.

As far as the free shuttle to the port is concerned, from what I have read it seems it is there on Saturdays and Sundays, but can be a bit hit and miss during the week. Actually, the shuttle is available if there is a ship in port performing home port operations. That is generally if there is a ship in port which is doing a round trip Venice itinerary, there will be a shuttle. (Usually MSC or Costa but there may be others.) If the ship's are 'just passing through', there won't be a shuttle. You may be able to work this out for yourselves if you check your dates here.

http://www.cruisett.com/index.php

It also seems to be labelled differently. When we took it, there was simply a white label 'shuttle' on the bottom left of the window. If you stand with your back to the Grand Canal at the vaporetto station, the shuttle will be on the far left towards the back of the square. Simply follow the path round to the left from the vaporetto stop and you should end up next to the bus. The driver will either be nowhere to be seen, or chatting away with a group nearby. The flaps at the side will be open for you to load on your luggage. You will also have to unload your own luggage when you arrive at the port. There is a luggage drop off near this car park, you will pass the building as you drive in. You will need to walk back round the other side to drop off your luggage..at least we did.

You may be able to use this site to locate where your ship will be docked and plan your route.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociere.jsp?language=1

Click on cruise shedules to find your berth, then you can find the plans, facilities by clicking on your terminal.

Hope this all makes sense. :)

(Welcome back twoatsea. :))

Just to add a little information to this thread. We ended our cruise in Venice on the Grand Princess on Oct 29th.

When we filled out the form on the Grand and stated we had our own independent transport to Piazzale Roma, the purser's desk called and asked the name of the company. I said we were just planning on taking the "free shuttle" or a taxi. I was told we would have to take the ship's shuttle for $24 per person as there would not be a "free shuttle" nor any taxi's unless we specifically arranged for one.

So this information is clearly known by the ship and should be known by the information booth too.

Long story short, we paid Princess $24 pp for a 5 minute ride from the ship to Piazzale Roma.

I did write a review and included our disappointment that the cruiseline is more interested in selling their excursions than in providing information for those that choose to go indepedent. And we found directions and info generally lacking throughout our Med cruise for the independent traveller.

Regarding Princess, these so-called free shuttles are a big issue. I had previously posted our experience on Oct 2 when we boarded the Emerald Princess in Venice. Since we had spent a few nights at a hotel in the Piazzale Roma, we figured to just walk over to the free shuttle and go the port (about a 1/2 mile walk). However, on the morning of the cruise I did not notice any shuttle buses in the square. Our hotel called a friend who worked at the port and they said, "When Princess is in town there is no free shuttle." In the end, we simply walked from our hotel to the port, but some others took a land taxi from the Piazzale Roma to the port for 5 Euros per person (this is a 5 min ride). I would also mention that there is a local public bus (/6) that runs from the Piazzale Roma (from in front of the ACTV ticket office) to the port (its important that you only take the bus with that slash before the 6).

Hank

Hi Two at Sea. Thank you for the info. If you happen to see this post, feel free to email me, as I have some questions for you "Professional" Venice people!

We're sailing on the Splendour of the Seas in April 09, and I'm a bit concerned with our return flights 9:30am. In 2009 the ship is supposed to be in port at 5am not 7am. However RCCL still says flights cannot return prior to 11:30am. I'm getting nervous, but also don't want to spend the $400+ to change our flights.

You really need to be off the ship by 06.30, 07.00 at latest and have transport organised.

Thanks everyone; lots of good responses. Hi, CasaM; welcome back. And thanks for the welcome back from everyone. We had such a great time on our trip! :)

From what I have read here, it appears we should have either pre-arranged a taxi pickup (which I don't like giving my credit card in advance, & don't like the high waiting fee since one never knows when the ship will let us go), or taken the free shuttle bus to P.Roma & got a taxi or the blue Airport Express bus from P.Roma, or walked to P.Roma for the express bus or a taxi, or as happened, hope the port info booth is open to call a cab for us. We didn't want to chance the express bus from P.Roma to the airport because we figured it would be swamped with prospective customers.

BTW, the /6 bus does not have luggage space; it is just a regular bus. It is good for siteseeing trips.

betsybou, I don't know if you should be concerned or not. Even if you reschedule your flight, the airlines could change the time on you. To be safe, have you considered staying overnite, or will that cost the extra money also? However, I think if you pre-arrange a pickup at the ship, you probably will get to the airport in time - unless the ship is late or holds you on board too long. The ship shuttles take longer because you have to wait until the bus gets full before it will leave. Re: emailing you - I will do so, but also the moderators like us to ask & answer on line so all can share. So please feel free to ask your Venice questions here.

I didn't see taxis at P.Roma. Did I miss them or does one call for them?

Thanks everyone; lots of good responses. Hi, CasaM; welcome back. And thanks for the welcome back from everyone. We had such a great time on our trip! :)

From what I have read here, it appears we should have either pre-arranged a taxi pickup (which I don't like giving my credit card in advance, & don't like the high waiting fee since one never knows when the ship will let us go), or taken the free shuttle bus to P.Roma & got a taxi or the blue Airport Express bus from P.Roma, or walked to P.Roma for the express bus or a taxi, or as happened, hope the port info booth is open to call a cab for us. We didn't want to chance the express bus from P.Roma to the airport because we figured it would be swamped with prospective customers.

BTW, the /6 bus does not have luggage space; it is just a regular bus. It is good for siteseeing trips.

betsybou, I don't know if you should be concerned or not. Even if you reschedule your flight, the airlines could change the time on you. To be safe, have you considered staying overnite, or will that cost the extra money also? However, I think if you pre-arrange a pickup at the ship, you probably will get to the airport in time - unless the ship is late or holds you on board too long. The ship shuttles take longer because you have to wait until the bus gets full before it will leave. Re: emailing you - I will do so, but also the moderators like us to ask & answer on line so all can share. So please feel free to ask your Venice questions here.

I didn't see taxis at P.Roma. Did I miss them or does one call for them?

I think staying overnight must cost more money :D. Get to hotel, food, night in hotel and of course hotel to airport.

The taxis do have a queue which is in the same part of the Piazzale Roma as the free-shuttle bus (when it runs). If you face the Piazzale from the Grand Canal, you would find this area on the left side of the square.

We where on a black sea cruise last year on Oceania Natica. Istanbul to Athens. Our flight home to JFK left Athens at 10. 00 Am. The ship docked at 4 Am. we payed to have them transport us to the airport with the rest of passingers who booked thru them.

We are currently booked on there cruise in July Venice to Barcelona. Again our flight out of Barcelona is 10 am ship docks at 4 Am. We are paying them $70.00 PP to get us too the airport so we dont have to hassle with a pvt. taxi.

Dear Folks,

Wonder what has gotten me more stirred up today? Reading "Street Scams of Barcelona" or this thread?

Apparently, even if you are on a cruise that starts/ends in Barcelona and Venice, many people do not allow themselves time to visit these locations? I am confused (unless you are a frequent visitor to these cities). We arrive around noon Monday 8 June, plan to visit Padua in the afternoon (ship's tour), sleep onboard ship that night and then spend three additional nights in Venice (Venice card). Because we leave 6:55am Friday morning (!!!) we believe that we should stay in/very near P. Roma to be able to either take land taxi that morning at 4:30am or first atvo bus at 4:40am? According to the now defunct porttime, we will be the only cruise ship in port Tuesday and Wednesday with 3,080 passengers off Tuesday morning (us) and the same number onto the ship that afternoon. So I should expect to pay Princess $80 for a 5 minute transfer or walk to our hotel?

Anyone reading who stayed near P. Roma because of an early departure from Marco Polo?

Yes, there is a great variability in port activity by day! On June 8 (Monday) six ships total 12,534 passengers, with the next large influx on the following Saturday 13 June with seven ships with 10,266 passengers. (Only one cruise ship in port Tuesday through Friday.) My hope is at least that 9 June will be relatively calm at P. Roma and that we will have the time to locate our hotel, and that Friday June 12 will be relatively less chaotic at the airport. What am I missing and how can I prepare better? I am rather frustrated in that specific hotel web sites emphasize direct booking, but apparently aren't interested in providing a reservation for June 2009 until next January!

The wisdom of prior experience is most welcome.

I've attached a map (click to enlarge). Move to the extreme left to see the relationship between the port and P. Roma. Anyone walk across the new bridge just to visit the ghetto area?

David

http://www.mimoa.eu/projects/Italy/Venice/Bridge%20over%20Canal%20Grande

Travel to Ports.

You are quite correct. If Princess is the only ship in port on the Tuesday, there will be no free port shuttle. I'm not quite clear if you are staying near Piazzale Roma for the entire duration, or whether you are re-locating for your last night. For those staying in the San Marco region, there is also the option of the Alilaguna blue line from the port to St.Marks...timetable and route here:

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=1&contesto=1&valore=49&modo=6

Otherwise options to Piazzale Roma are as follows:

. Walk

. Ship's transfer.

. Taxi. Pre-booked would perhaps be easier than trying to locate & queue for one on the spot. Expensive given the distance involved but maybe cheaper than the Ship's transfer...(about 35 euros).

. Walk the shorter distance to Tronchetto and take the number 2 vaporetto. Route map here:

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/route-02.html

. The /6 bus..but luggage could be a difficulty here.

Oh, and water taxis of course to anywhere...but.. :)

As far as hotels are concerned, I am really surprized. We booked our Venice hotel for August 2008 in September 2007. We have also had our hotel in Rome for April 2009 booked since last May. Have you tried emailing the hotels directly? I'm a little confused by your comment about emphasis on booking directly, are you referring to their websites or communications from the hotel themselves? Although I research hotels on a number of sites, I then contact the management directly, regardless of whether they operate a booking facility on their websites. I do this for several reasons.

They often have rooms for four which are not 'visable' on the 'net. (Not appicable to you, I know.)

They are more aware of what is available. I am usually able to get a room when there is every indication that they are fully booked.

They are willing to 'open their books' early.

They usually (not always) offer a better rate as they may have to pay a commission to the agency which operates their booking engine.

I have no personal experience of hotels in the Piazzale Roma area, a lot will depend on what 'class' of hotel you are looking for. I know the poster Agabbymama has recently returned from a stay at Ca Doge with a drive to the door facility..perhaps you could track her down and ask? I also have the very strong feeling that she booked her accommodation at a similar time to me, quite some time in advance.

Oh, and yes, we did make a hasty departure from Venice. However, we also had a 3 day pre-cruise stay..and had visited before. :)

Just another throwaway tip on Venice. When flying in..and also surprizingly to my technophobe brain..when flying out..there are superb views of Venice and the islands if you sit on the right hand side of the 'plane. Maybe this doesn't always work, I'm not sure, but I would assume they always use the same flight paths when coming into the airport from the same direction.

How much will you spend if you miss your flight?

Depends on what time you can disembark the ship.

It takes less than 30 minutes to airport ( if you have a taxi) & you should be there 2 hrs prior

Thanks for the tips on the boards, all. I think we can make it based on your info. I also have contacted one of the shuttle services, and for five we can do it very reasonably.

Betsybou, If you have pre-reserved your transport, you shouldn't have any problems.

Travel To Ports, I stayed at Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma 2 nights post cruise. The hotel doesn't look quite as good as the photos portray it, I think it's been awhile since it was painted, but the room was good sized, clean and very niceand continental breakfast was included. And it was central for transportation from the pier, to the airport, the vaporetto, etc. There is another Hotel Santa Chiara which is right on the Piazzale Roma too.

Didn't make the walk over that new bridge, just too many stairs for my traveling companion and I. Did take a photo of it though.

I would definitely try different hotels. I had hotels in Paris, Rome and Venice all booked at the 330 day mark that booking engines allow. Venice and Rome were directly with the hotels I liked, Paris was through a third party website because of the good price (to book directly was 30 EURO more per night). So maybe try www.venere.com to find hotels that look good to you, then www.tripadvisor.com for reviews, and thirdly see if the hotels have websites to visit.

If you pre-arrange a transfer, think you can do better than the Princess transfer. AT $24 pp that would be $48. Even the taxi that Sparky1664 mentions at 35 EURO is approximatly $50. So nothing very cheap for the trip from the pier to Piazzale Roma. Yes there is a queue of taxis at Piazzale Roma, but the taxi queue at the pier was totally empty, not a single taxi sitting there.

Now the transfer to the airport wasn't bad at all. There is an information booth right outside the Ca' Doge, so inquired there where to buy the bus ticket. The bus ticket office is about a half a block from the hotel (different than the vaporetto ticket office), walked there, bought the bus ticket the day before we were leaving, then you validate it the day you need it. It rained all night Thursday night, but had eased up by morning and wasn't really pouring, just misty. We walked across the square tugging our luggage in tow, found the blue bus to the airport, loaded our own luggage in the undercarriage and boarded the bus, for 3 EURO, you can't beat it. Approx 10 minute wait, then 20 minute ride to the airport. The airport drop off is covered (so weather wasn't a factor, but it did continue to rain). We were there well before our flight, they didn't even have it posted yet. So we settled down with our books for about an hour, then checked in and went to the gate assigned for another two hour wait.

For any transfers, I would go to your roll calls and see if you could possibly share a transfer with others. Even one other couple would make it more affordable.

Dear Sparky and Other Experienced Venice Adventurers,

We intend to stay three nights at P. Roma and intend to either arrange by ourselves or with hotel (if taxi option) early morning trip to Marco Polo. Travel from port to P. Roma remains a puzzle and at least at this moment is clearly a challenge.

The hotel situation is a bit frustrating, and even more now with your reply, so that I will return to the process as I want a very easy walk to bus or taxi at 4:30/4:40am 12 June. Had received an email from Hotel Canal that they would not take reservations or provide room rate until January. Know I can get a reservation at the Sofitel, but I am rather reluctant to pay 50 euro for a breakfast for two! Will take my list of acceptable hotels and send emails again from both yahoo and comcast accounts. It also seems that many of these are small hotels in 400+ year-old buildings with a mixture of good and marginal rooms/baths and it is either the luck of the draw or when you arrive as to what your 3-day stay will be like.

All advice is most appreciated,

David

Dear Sparky and Other Experienced Venice Adventurers,

We intend to stay three nights at P. Roma and intend to either arrange by ourselves or with hotel (if taxi option) early morning trip to Marco Polo. Travel from port to P. Roma remains a puzzle and at least at this moment is clearly a challenge.

The hotel situation is a bit frustrating, and even more now with your reply, so that I will return to the process as I want a very easy walk to bus or taxi at 4:30/4:40am 12 June. Had received an email from Hotel Canal that they would not take reservations or provide room rate until January. Know I can get a reservation at the Sofitel, but I am rather reluctant to pay 50 euro for a breakfast for two! Will take my list of acceptable hotels and send emails again from both yahoo and comcast accounts. It also seems that many of these are small hotels in 400+ year-old buildings with a mixture of good and marginal rooms/baths and it is either the luck of the draw or when you arrive as to what your 3-day stay will be like.

All advice is most appreciated,

David

I find it very curious that Hotel Canal won't take a booking until January. Others I just checked out already have no vacancy. Check out Santa Chiara. http://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/santa_croce_ovest/hotel_santa_chiara.html?sd=11&sm=06&sy=2009&ed=14&em=06&ey=2009&rval=1&pval=4#information;swa20090624,20090626,2,1

I really liked the look of the hotel, and it is right on the Grand Canal.

Good luck!

I really cannot see any other options from the port to Piazzale Roma. I pre-booked the land taxi, and admitedly my situation was different, as I too was concerned about transport from the port. The taxi to the airport is a similar price as the taxi to Piazzale Roma for some unknown reason. agabbymama makes a good suggestion. I know you have said you are arranging tours so you must have an active roll call. Are there no other travellers who are staying post cruise? If a reasonable sized group of you were to book transport it should be easy and at a reasonable price.

Initially, I too was looking at Piazzale Roma, mainly from a transporting luggage point of view, but eventually booked a hotel a little further down the canal, but with very easy access...no bridges to cross and just a few yards from a vaporetto stop. However, the journey on the vaporetto to St. Mark's area does take some time, and if staying for 3 days, this could all add up. If we were to go again I would probably look for a hotel nearer to St. Mark's area simply for the ease of getting around.

I know the flight time is the difficulty for you, but I'm beginning to think if I were in your situation I might just start to have a re-think. Perhaps re-look at the hotel situation entirely and widen the search to look for one that suited my needs in the more general sense and accept that I would have to book a water taxi for my early morning transfer. (There will always be a premium anyway, even for a land taxi, at that time in the morning.)After all, you will be spending 3 days in Venice and it is important you enjoy your time there. In the scheme of things, the cruise, the flights, the private tours etc, I wouldn't let the price of a water taxi to the airport influence my overall decision on a choice of hotel. Just make a water taxi window a must have for the hotel you book. (These are very common) Perhaps the place to start would be to look for hotels along the blue alilaguna route & that could solve your transport from port problems too.

If I think of any other options I'll come back to you.

They may have rooms but do not display on some of the hotel websites until 3 months out.

best to email the hotel directly

Parts of this thread could make a great FAQ for Venice. I did a lot of research on this site and subsequently found the P Roma area pretty easy to negotiate, where the left luggage is located, where to find the shuttle buses, which buses to the airport, etc. All went fine, but it took a lot of digging to get the info.

Just got back from Venice. Best thing we did was store our two 45lb bags at the baggage check in Piazella Roma at 4 Euro per bag per day and take our 30 lb bag via Vaporetto to our hotel near the Rialto Bridge.

You do not want to be on a crowded 6 Euro Vaporetto with oversized luggage under any circumstances. People get packed in like sardines and you will have a very difficult time getting on and off the "water bus." If you must, take an 80 Euro water taxi with all your heavy luggage.

Checking bags at the Venice train station may be another option. You will need to haul bags over the new bridge and up about 15 steps to the train station platform which is a 5 minute walk from the new bridge. That is difficult but manageable for anybody in good health.

Archived